Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
I do want to watch nick frost as ricky knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
From this week's observer, putting that amazing Raw hour 3 into context:

quote:

To put into perspective how bad the third hour was, it was lower than the third hour on either July 4th or on Halloween last year, or against all but one NFL game last season. The only time the 10 p.m. hour did worse in modern times was on 9/26, when it went head-to-head with the Trump-Clinton debate as well as NFL football. So putting everything into perspective, being on its regular time, in its regular time slot, with no NFL or gigantic television competition, this realistically the worst rating, not the lowest, but the worst, all things considered, in Raw history

Congrats

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

But it was taped so it doesn't count and furthermore,

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

St Evan Echoes posted:

But it was taped so it doesn't count and furthermore,

ratings dont matter!

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

That Article posted:

The "Superstar Shakeup" has breathed new life into so many superstars, including Braun Strowman, Jinder Mahal and Kevin Owens. Owens has gone from being a poorly booked Universal Champion to a wildly entertaining heel. Strowman has transformed from forgettable participant in a WrestleMania 33 battle royal to someone who is developing into a draw on Raw, which is evidenced by the show hitting a 2017 ratings low when he didn't appear this week. Mahal, meanwhile, is getting the push of a lifetime as WWE attempts to expand further into India.

But no superstar has benefited from the recent roster changes as much as Bliss has.

Bliss, after being somewhat of an afterthought in NXT, became the steal of the WWE Draft last year and quickly caught on with fans due to her fantastic microphone skills and quickly improving in-ring abilities. Of all the stars who debuted on the main roster, data suggests that Bliss was the fourth most popular, ranking ahead of Bayley (believe it or not) and behind only James Ellsworth (whose popularity has since fallen off), Finn Balor and AJ Styles.

That seemed to coincide with Bliss really taking off in the second half of the year, when Fightful's Google Shopping rankings indicate that she may have been high as No. 4 in merchandise sales among female performers in the final quarter of 2016, behind only The Bella Twins, Sasha Banks and Stephanie McMahon, all of which have been around for much longer than Bliss has.

Perhaps in part because of her inspirational story of overcoming a life-threatening eating disorder, Bliss has caught on with fans in a way that virtually no one, except for maybe Bliss herself, could have predicted. She's somehow managed to strike that perfect balance between being a tremendous on-screen villain and a beloved and likable person off-screen.

And Bliss' star power is only getting bigger.

Bliss has been given the chance to, like Charlotte and Sasha Banks have done, main event a TV show, and she passed that test with flying colors. Her steel cage match against Becky Lynch on the Jan. 17 SmackDown generated 119,000 more viewers than the previous week's episode, even though that show featured John Cena in the main event.

Bliss' one shot to main event seemed to be a predictor of future success, too.

Bliss was the first woman to hold the SmackDown Women's Championship twice, and at Payback, she became the first woman in history to hold both the SmackDown and Raw Women's Championship, an incredible feat that she accomplished before any of the "Four Horsewomen" could beat her to it.

Even though WWE has built its women division around those four former NXT stalwarts (Lynch, Banks, Bayley and Charlotte) and even though WWE is still planning on building up Charlotte as the face of the women's division, Bliss' star power is beginning to dwarf that of every other women on the roster.

Not convinced? Let the data speak for itself.

Over the course of the last month, search interest in Bliss has skyrocketed, so much so that her average "interest over time" (also referred to as peak popularity) sits at 25. That dwarfs search interest in each of the "Four Horsewomen:" Banks (11), Charlotte (eight), Bayley (six) and Lynch (four). Even when looking at search interest for the entire year, Bliss still clearly reigns supreme.

Possessing a rare combination of marketability, likability and talent, Bliss has gone from relatively unknown less than a year ago to history-making performer, one who is on pace to carry the women's division for the next decade and perhaps one day enter the WWE Hall of Fame.

And she did it by managing to become a phenomenal heel, all while winning the fans over in the process.

Charlotte may be "The Queen." But Bliss is "The Goddess" and the true No. 1 female star in WWE.

Wait I thought she was a flash in the pan who only got over with funny faces? Where is Bayley, the Female John Cena with massive crossover appeal, on that merch ranking? THIS MAKES NO SENSE TO ME

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this setup for an argument is why i internet search all my faves from across entertainment. global domination. and I am correct

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Cavauro posted:

this setup for an argument is why i internet search all my faves from across entertainment. global domination. and I am correct

Using a Forbes user-submitted opinion piece is barely a step above that time someone cited Eric Young's ranking in PWI's top 500 while also being way less funny

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Let's actually talk about the Forbes article rather than talk about Raw's funny numbers again.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OctoberCountry posted:

Using a Forbes user-submitted opinion piece is barely a step above that time someone cited Eric Young's ranking in PWI's top 500 while also being way less funny

Well its good that we know that Bayley is also ratings poison

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

OctoberCountry posted:

Hrm yes, good ratings, good merch sales and massive interest in her are all meaningless because the article is user-submitted.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
The creepy Alexa fans make this place a lot less enjoyable.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Muddy Burphy posted:

We survived the A.J Lee lovefest. You should be ok, friend!

Also im tired of this forum thinking that the Alexa fans are creepy and that Alexa himself doesnt have merits beyond her good looks. PRETTY SEXIST!

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 11, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

pressedbunny posted:

I'm just left wondering what the hell merch Steph even has, and who the hell is buying it.

On the online store, she currently only has a bracelet for the Connor Michalek memorial charity thing she and Triple H started.

So I guess if people are buying those enough to put her in the top 3 that's a good thing.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Muddy Burphy posted:

Notice how small the threads have gotten since they've been posting them, in particular

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Maybe it takes into account iTunes sales and everyone is buying up the awesome Stephanie McMahon theme "Welcome to the Queendom"

Jerusalem please word filter "alexa bliss" to ":swoon: :swoon: :swoon: GODDESS ALEXA BLISS :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: "

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Please tone down the Alexa posts, you are crowding out all the homophobia.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Despite not being as good a wrestler as many of the other women, I think Alexa is doing well because of her ability to deliver WWE-scripted dialogue well and make it bearable due to her facial expressions and general snotiness. Sasha and Bayley are not good enough on the mic to overcome the poo poo that's being written for them and it has greatly diminished how much anyone cares about them.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chris James 2 posted:

Notice how small the threads have gotten since they've been posting them, in particular

Please dont be a nazi.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

OctoberCountry posted:

Wasn't the Forbes thing about Charlotte also user submitted? I remember they even brought that one up on Raw.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

Wasn't the Forbes thing about Charlotte also user submitted? I remember they even brought that one up on Raw.

Everything on Forbes is user submitted

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Tato posted:

Despite not being as good a wrestler as many of the other women, I think Alexa is doing well because of her ability to deliver WWE-scripted dialogue well and make it bearable due to her facial expressions and general snotiness. Sasha and Bayley are not good enough on the mic to overcome the poo poo that's being written for them and it has greatly diminished how much anyone cares about them.
I agree, Alexa's best traits are her mic work and character work. I personally think Becky Lynch is the best woman wrestler but what's her gimmick? She's not awful on the mic but she can't overcome her writing, and without a persona she's just "Good wrestler that doesn't like heels, also she gets betrayed a lot"

I think Charlotte's push has helped her a lot but without the mic work to deliver heel promos, she drags down every segment that isn't strictly in-ring. We'll see how a face turn works out for her but I don't have high hopes there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Becky Lynch's gimmick is that she likes puns and is enormously naive.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Becky booking makes me sad. She is the best wrestler on the main roster and seems like a nice person.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

dromal phrenia posted:

I agree, Alexa's best traits are her mic work and character work. I personally think Becky Lynch is the best woman wrestler but what's her gimmick? She's not awful on the mic but she can't overcome her writing, and without a persona she's just "Good wrestler that doesn't like heels, also she gets betrayed a lot"

Fluctuating weight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG5P06dChYA

She's really lean now. I guess it is hangin' and bangin' with Charlotte in the gym again.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorGonzo posted:

We survived the A.J Lee lovefest. You should be ok, friend!

Also im tired of this forum thinking that the Alexa fans are creepy and that Alexa himself doesnt have merits beyond her good looks. PRETTY SEXIST!

Did we? Who were you posting as then?

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Please tell me more about Alexa bangin' with Charlotte. Finally, we get to the scoops that matter.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Did we? Who were you posting as then?

you

rovert posted:

Fluctuating weight
She's really lean now. I guess it is hangin' and bangin' with Charlotte in the gym again.

plz control

pressedbunny posted:

Please tell me more about Alexa bangin' with Charlotte. Finally, we get to the scoops that matter.

if the rumor its true that is Beckys gimmick

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 11, 2017

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Interesting that you'd move away from good posts.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

he moved away from cum and straight to big fake tatas. not sure if thats a heel turn or a face turn though

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also its funny how Chris Jaimes 2 thinks that:

The number of pages in the wwe thread matters.

The number of pages reflect who posted the thread and not the quality of the wwe on that particular week.

SAD!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
Alexa Bliss is mediocre at best and Alexa-posters are genuinely worse than the neckbeard reddit posters who call Becky Lynch, an adult woman, "adorable".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

His name is VJeff please don't take away his identity.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alexa = ratings even on this thread. What a great heel.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

Alexa = ratings even on this thread. What a great heel.

It's a good thing that she is ratings gold on a dead comedy forum, because ever since she got the women's title, Raw numbers have been falling like she's a cement brick attached to its feet.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vaguido posted:

It's a good thing that she is ratings gold on a dead comedy forum, because ever since she got the women's title, Raw numbers have been falling like she's a cement brick attached to its feet.

Alexa is on the best rated hour weekly.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Vaguido posted:

Ratings being bad in the bad show is hardly Alexa's fault

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

And they are actually protecting and showcasing Alexa by putting her on the most watched hour.

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 11, 2017

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I think smackdown hasn't been as good post shakeup, but I think smackdown is still the better show just because they never try to out clever the audience. So the stories end up making sense and things go to their logical conclusion. Raw is always trying to be smarter than the audience so they try to subvert things that most people don't notice or care about and it just ends up feeling weird

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

Alexa is on the best rated hour weekly.

Put her in hour 3 and see if that stays true.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Who's seen as a big deal on a show impacts ratings. The current champions are MIA, Dean Ambrose and Alexa Bliss. None of it is working for the weekly show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vaguido posted:

Put her in hour 3 and see if that stays true.

They are putting Sasha vs Alicia Fox on hour 3 so you might be onto something

• Locked thread