Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

put bald idiot / dangerous wrestler / backstage bully Sasha Banks into the secret 4th hour called "the trash can" and set it on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alexa is cool and good except that whenever she is onscreen my Echo gets really annoying.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Vaguido posted:

Put her in hour 3 and see if that stays true.

Who's seen as a big deal on a show impacts ratings. The current champions are MIA, Dean Ambrose and Alexa Bliss. None of it is working for the weekly show.

Youre right, its not the ghost of brock lesnar or king loser dean ambrose

quit making me defend alexa I don't even like her that much

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I can't believe I've been forced to turn against the Alexa is Good crowd, you fuckers post real bad

Posts an entire Fuckin Forbes user submitted article and bolds random parts of it, are you Fuckin kiddinme, get outta here with
That poo poo

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

That DICK! posted:

I can't believe I've been forced to turn against the Alexa is Good crowd, you fuckers post real bad

Posts an entire Fuckin Forbes user submitted article and bolds random parts of it, are you Fuckin kiddinme, get outta here with
That poo poo

To be fair, it's really only two people that seem to have a really weird Alexa thing going and it really throws off the curve.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

That DICK! posted:

That poo poo
the parts I bolded aren't random, jerk rear end!

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We havent even posted Alexas backlash booty.gif for god sake. This acussations are baseless and if you ask me pretty sexist and racist.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
gas

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

much like with rovert, the anti-alexa posters posters are about a billion times worse than the thing they're complaining about

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I was wrong about the taped RAW making this thread peaceful. In actuality, taped programming just makes us all bitch about each other instead of WWE.

Please WWE, come back live so we can bitch about how much we hate Roman and Bray

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

IcePhoenix posted:

much like with rovert, the anti-alexa posters posters are about a billion times worse than the thing they're complaining about

AIDS.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

A Forbes article!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Just as stupid as a Forbes article, Heel John Cena coming Halloween:
http://www.trickortreatstudios.com/products/full-head-masks/world-wrestling-entertainment-john-cena-mask.html

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Get lost.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

This is what Cena looks like when the Total Bellas crew turn their cameras off.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Baron Corbyn posted:

How much do you think Stephanie will be featured?

It will be presented as all her idea, she paved the way for these women, she's so happy that women are finally being given a chance under the leadership, and with her leading and giving opportunities there is no limit for these women!

Gaz-L posted:

I'm curious about the announce team. I'm guessing JR as PBP, probably, considering this tertiary Network stuff makes the most sense for his current deal, and then maybe Mickie for colour? (They have to use a woman for the colour spot, right? They can't be that dumb)

If Renee has gotten better, maybe her. Lita is another option. I don't think they're going to do anything but be conservative, and they'll choose between those 2 options.

Heck, if they didn't hate Paige right now, Saraya Knight might be an option, they could try and get Trish, they could use Sara del Ray, Molly Holly, Victoria, but those are all in the basket of not happening ever.

Benne posted:

Meltzer got some details about the Paige movie and they took some ... creative liberties with the story.

Sounds like an awful film!

Re: Merch numbers and what's stephanie's merch - the connor's cure bracelet comes under 'her' merch, apparently. HOLY poo poo THAT'S CARNY

Tato posted:

Despite not being as good a wrestler as many of the other women, I think Alexa is doing well because of her ability to deliver WWE-scripted dialogue well and make it bearable due to her facial expressions and general snotiness. Sasha and Bayley are not good enough on the mic to overcome the poo poo that's being written for them and it has greatly diminished how much anyone cares about them.

And the booking! Because in WWE faces can't have wins or look strong, they need to lose to constantly cheating heels.

Vaguido posted:

Alexa Bliss is mediocre at best and Alexa-posters are genuinely worse than the neckbeard reddit posters who call Becky Lynch, an adult woman, "adorable".

Western culture has many issues with finding different qualities attractive at different ages. Can a 30 year old woman still be cute? Or does she need to have only a womanly attractiveness? Can Becky Lynch be adorable? The answer is yes, because she has qualities that are to be adored.

In better WWE news, NXT main event was a really good match, I recommend watching it!

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Wazzu posted:

Western culture has many issues with finding different qualities attractive at different ages. Can a 30 year old woman still be cute? Or does she need to have only a womanly attractiveness? Can Becky Lynch be adorable? The answer is yes, because she has qualities that are to be adored.

A more insidious read would be that most of the women are basically infantilized, and thus they are regarded like a child or a pet. We can also look into the broader sexualization of the "adorable woman".

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

enough women in society gender studies posts. let's talk about roman's cock.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Mulaney Power Move posted:

let's talk about roman's cock.

It is adorable

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

I assume his cock is very strong, much like Roman himself.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I haven't seen it and his pants aren't telling stories.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's what he's going to use to win the IC title with.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Chris James 2 posted:

Don't expect Shirai. Dave says her Performance Center visit "didn't go swimmingly"
Kind of weird seeing how all the talk was about how Io impressed a lot of people at that tryout

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Kind of weird seeing how all the talk was about how Io impressed a lot of people at that tryout

From what a friend was telling me, it didn't go swimmingly from Io's perspective. As in, she didn't like it there very much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

That's because the quote was "didn't go swimmingly from her standpoint" which is kind of an important piece to leave out.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope Io stays in Japan and Taeler Hendrix or Jada signs with Wwe

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I like WWE and all but what's the point of having cool indie talent come in if they're just going to have WWE matches? I mean, it's good that they can have a better paycheck, if they feel they need one, but what would you actually expect out of Io Shirai versus Becky Lynch?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I like WWE and all but what's the point of having cool indie talent come in if they're just going to have WWE matches? I mean, it's good that they can have a better paycheck, if they feel they need one, but what would you actually expect out of Io Shirai versus Becky Lynch?

Racism and bad booking.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
doctor gonzo makes terrible posts but i would never censor him. i like phrenia

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorGonzo posted:

Racism and bad booking.

Well I would argue that it wouldn't be that good.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

JT Smiley posted:

To be fair, it's really only two people that seem to have a really weird Alexa thing going and it really throws off the curve.

If only there were a solution to two posters making GBS threads up threads.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
I think it's ok to censor Doctor Gonzo.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Speaking of Japanese talent, Kairi Hojo did an interview with Tokyo Sports. I cant be assed to translate all of it but here are the interesting things in it:

quote:

- Hojo thought about retirement a few times, because she feels like she's getting up there, age wise (28). She decided against it at the time, but had considered it again in September, after she had suffered an injury. [my note: in the joshi scene, if you are over a certain age (27 or older usually), you are considered old]

- She feels okay about leaving STARDOM now, because the younger talent is thriving.

- She wants to expand her horizons by going overseas (to the WWE), as there has been an influx of foreign talent (in STARDOM), and she wants to experience what its like to wrestle for a different company, as she feels like she hasn't peaked yet in her career, at least internationally.

- She was pushed to sign with the WWE by Nakamura, but was still hesitant until Bull Nakano pushed her to sign.

- Seeing how Itami, Asuka, and Nakamura have been treated gives her confidence that she'll be treated well.

- Her goal is to connect to foreign audiences, and she's striving to become a key player in the WWE, which is why she's currently working(?) on taking the Eiken Test, and is learning to drive. [note: im not sure if she's still working on the eiken test, or if she's passed by now, the article isn't very clear.]

The rest of the article is basically her acknowledging local fans being understanding that she wants to go, and noting that foreign fans have been a lot more receptive to her than they expected.

As for Io Shirai, I would say that while she isn't signing right now, never say never. People thought AJ Styles would never sign with the WWE, and look where he is now.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 11, 2017

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Junpei Hyde posted:

If only there were a solution to two posters making GBS threads up threads.

lt's try posting about them.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I like WWE and all but what's the point of having cool indie talent come in if they're just going to have WWE matches?

The CWC inspired hope that maybe they realized this and were going to stop making them have WWE matches

But welp, 205 Live and the whole rest of the division happened, so yeah everything's hosed

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

I actually agree with this sentiment. If you're a fan of the talent and you're happy that they're finally getting the pay they deserve, cool. But [Favorite Indie Star] certainly will not be pulling off the matches they were doing elsewhere.

On the other hand, I can always watch old matches of people I like and just be happy that they have to work what appears, to me, a safer style, but get to make more money and hopefully a happier life.

Obviously this all goes out the window if they hate where the end up in the WWE but if they're good enough they should find a way to get over there.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Indie talent is good for a dope ppv match but boring every other match. I am fine with this, though, as the WWE schedule is harder on the body.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

With no data to back it up I assume the earning ceiling for women in Japan isn't all that good and if that's the case it's cool and worthwhile for them to have homogenized matches in WWE for at least a little while. If that's wrong then pretend like i actually said this: I Love The 90s

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Cavauro posted:

With no data to back it up I assume the earning ceiling for women in Japan isn't all that good and if that's the case it's cool and worthwhile for them to have homogenized matches in WWE for at least a little while. If that's wrong then pretend like i actually said this: I Love The 90s

The earning ceiling for women in Japan tends to be lower than men, especially in stuff like Joshi. While I don't have any hard numbers, I think a lot of their income comes from merchandise sales (clothing, calendars, dvds/videos, photobooks, autograph signings, etc). There are some fields where women earn way more than men, like the idol industry, but that industry can get pretty hosed up as well.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yeah I was only thinking about wrestling in that post instead of Everything. bigger sweeping statements than that are far too frightening

• Locked thread