Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

B. Birdsworth posted:

I can say definitively that a majority of the anti-vaxxers we see on a clinical basis in my area today (US South) seem politically center-left or hard-left, and Christian fundamentalism plays essentially no role in their thought process (with a few exceptions). Anti-intellectualism per se seems to have very little to do with the subculture. Instead, it's a kind of para-intellectualism which is rooted either in bad science (I'm looking at you, Lancet Issue 9103 ) or non-science (crunchy articles/blogs written by college-educated moms). Illustrative of this is the fact that a huge proportion of the parents where I live opt for bogus yet highly specific alternative vaccine schedules for which there is no clinical evidence of equal efficacy, and reason to believe they are less effective than the CDC schedule.

e: my assessment pertains specifically to the parents of pediatric patients who ultimately make the decision whether or not to vaccinate their children, not old men who might think the government is polluting their grandchildren's purity of essence.

My experience is fundy right wingers not wanting the gubment to tell them what to do with are kids, combined with science being a liberal lie. Maybe its by area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Ha ha yeah those Liberals and their science! *is a slobbering moron*

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.

Bombadilillo posted:

My experience is fundy right wingers not wanting the gubment to tell them what to do with are kids, combined with science being a liberal lie. Maybe its by area?

There's definitely some regionalism to it, but I'm in one of the most politically conservative parts of the country. What does your experience with people who are anti-vaxxers consist of?

e: edited question for clarification

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I cant wait until a bunch of extraordinarily expensive Oceanside property is brutally owned by massive global warming tsunamis and cyclones

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

And right here you have the aggressively approaching shoreline that will soon destroy your entire neighbourhood, would you like to donate some money to Trump Care?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Honest question, why do YOU care?

It's the most recent example of a public figure spouting unproven pseudo-science as fact, and notice how some people fervently defend this unproven gender theory.

Not accepting an unproven pop-science theory makes me a brain-dead AIDs retard or whatever Smythe diagnosed me with.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bob NewSCART posted:

I cant wait until a bunch of extraordinarily expensive Oceanside property is brutally owned by massive global warming tsunamis and cyclones

I think that if you lust for submerged real estate investments then Oceanside is really not the place to be watching. Oceanside is like literally the lowest value city on the coast in Southern California. Any coastal city anywhere between LA and San Diego probably has higher property values.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

a bone to pick posted:

It's the most recent example of a public figure spouting unproven pseudo-science as fact, and notice how some people fervently defend this unproven gender theory.

Not accepting an unproven pop-science theory makes me a brain-dead AIDs retard or whatever Smythe diagnosed me with.

Don't sign your posts.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

a bone to pick posted:

What did he say, I didn't look at it before and now google is just giving me conservatives being upset about it

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Bombadilillo posted:

What did he say, I didn't look at it before and now google is just giving me conservatives being upset about it

I couldn't make it more than a couple seconds into the song but it seemed to just be a husky women singing off beat and off key about accepting the rainbow of genders.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

I couldn't make it more than a couple seconds into the song but it seemed to just be a husky women singing off beat and off key about accepting the rainbow of genders.

It is cringeworthy and unfunny but it's not as big a deal as people make it out to be

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

Anybody rich enough to own seaside property would probably jump at the chance to collect money from the government and private insurers for their inflated property values

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

shovelbum posted:

Duh it's been studied to death but man was it really always this bad

Like it's already been said, a lot of babies with autism died young in the Bad Ol' Days, and I'm quite sure that even more of them were miscarried. Now that we have better pre-natal care, more high-risk pregnancies come to term, and babies with autism are commonly high-risk pregnancies.

If you want a historical perspective on autism, look at Irish folktales about changelings: humans stolen by the fairies and replaced by a sickly fairy in human form. The stories follow the general pattern of a person becoming aggressive, morose, silent, "dim," "strange-headed," and so on after being "switched" with a fairy, which was the Irish's best attempt to explain why people went weird sometimes. Nowadays we would recognize the symptoms of changelings as post-partum depression, traumatic brain injuries, autism, strokes, schizophrenia, etc.

What's interesting was the moral code of dealing with "changelings:" mistreating the fairy would result in the fairies mistreating the human they stole, so people just sort of shrugged and carried on, in most cases. (Sometimes babies were killed.)

Edit: And the number of autism spectrum births is something like 1 in 88, not 1 in 50.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

They must learn it and other weird health conspiracy theories in nursing school bevause most of its most vocal adherents I have known were almost all nurses.

I'm in nursing school and they don't teach anything like that.

Most of the stuff comes from the internet (shocking)

Zajajaja
Jan 10, 2008
Vaccinations generally are really good and cool. Flu vaccines however, might be a problem, they're made in anticipation of the mutations that occur in the wild and the problem with that is if you guess wrong not only is it less effective it can be downright fatal. I've been avoiding flu vaccinations for a couple years now, it might just be my local distributor but the effectiveness of those things is like barely 30%. So yeah kind of hard to say without distinguishing between the two options of 'we loving killed the one kind of polio anyone has ever known about since like the thirties' vs 'we just made this flu vaccine last week and it sucks whoops.'

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo posted:

That there's a spectrum of genders and everyone's on it lol, nothing else needs to be said.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Blue Train posted:

It is cringeworthy and unfunny but it's not as big a deal as people make it out to be

yeah like it's super bad but not in a way anyone should care about, if anything maybe this level of bad production values will convince kids that the whole thing is lame as gently caress and the new cool is just being a boy with a dick.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

There are too many people and there need to be more dead babies

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

a bone to pick posted:

That there's a spectrum of genders and everyone's on it lol, nothing else needs to be said.

You're stringing sentences together and nobody appreciates it. Please stop before you hurt yourself.

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.

Zajajaja posted:

Vaccinations generally are really good and cool. Flu vaccines however, might be a problem, they're made in anticipation of the mutations that occur in the wild and the problem with that is if you guess wrong not only is it less effective it can be downright fatal. I've been avoiding flu vaccinations for a couple years now, it might just be my local distributor but the effectiveness of those things is like barely 30%. So yeah kind of hard to say without distinguishing between the two options of 'we loving killed the one kind of polio anyone has ever known about since like the thirties' vs 'we just made this flu vaccine last week and it sucks whoops.'

Yes, it's a virological guessing game. Some years, the vaccine isn't very effective at all. Very rarely, individuals will have serious complications from the vaccine. But flu kills thousands of Americans annually, any way you slice it, and on balance the flu vaccine is a boon. Saying "but why should I/my kid have to get one?" is exactly what the anti-MMR anti-HPV people ask, but the risk:benefit is pretty clear.

B. Birdsworth fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 9, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

a bone to pick posted:

Well theres a poo poo load of different chromosomes combinations that a person can have, as well as chemical issues that can literally make you have the wrong genitalia for your gender. Some people are calling what for years of study has been "intersexed" more pop culture terms like spectrum.

So before you even get to mental issues or desires you have a way WAY more complicated system then boy/girl.

Yes it does matter what he said specifically/

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

a bone to pick posted:

Therefore science is bad and liberal?

Might need to kick in the 'ol critical thinking there.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
It's not like doctors have ever been wrong about anything

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

It's not like doctors have ever been wrong about anything

The great thing about science is that not only are you allowed to be wrong, it is encouraged and moves the field forward.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

a bone to pick posted:

I'm guessing you met Bill Nye at a urinal once, he asked why someone with a vagina was trying to use a urinal, you had to explain about micropenis, and he laughed. Am I close?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I just think its funny that super liberals act like conservatives are all science-denying idiots while they have their own brand of science-denial that comes in the form of pseudo-science acceptance.

Its obvious the majority of you guys believe in gender theory so there's no point arguing, its like trying to argue evolution to a creationist.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

SuperiorColliculus posted:

The great thing about science is that not only are you allowed to be wrong, it is encouraged and moves the field forward.

Some people don't like having their kids be human guinea pigs (the field of medicine is trial and error)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

It's not like uneducated people have ever been wrong about anything

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Some people don't like having their kids be human guinea pigs (the field of medicine is trial and error)

Science is trial and error. If not, you'd still be treating your child's polio with nightshade and fervent prayer or whatever the gently caress

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Zajajaja posted:

Bad news dude, there are at least 3 types of identified polio

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

a bone to pick posted:

I just think its funny that super liberals act like conservatives are all science-denying idiots while they have their own brand of science-denial that comes in the form of pseudo-science acceptance.

Its obvious the majority of you guys believe in gender theory so there's no point arguing, its like trying to argue evolution to a creationist.

Do you believe that there's a boy/girl hetero/homo dichotomy?

Because boy howdy do I have news for you.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

now THIS is science

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

a bone to pick posted:

now THIS is science

Which corn field* did you pull that straw man out of?

*I realise it might be hard to tell, what with being surrounded by them

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Like it's already been said, a lot of babies with autism died young in the Bad Ol' Days, and I'm quite sure that even more of them were miscarried. Now that we have better pre-natal care, more high-risk pregnancies come to term, and babies with autism are commonly high-risk pregnancies.

Oh no poo poo I didn't realize there was a correlation to high risk pregnancy an all that stuff

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

SuperiorColliculus posted:

Which corn field* did you pull that straw man out of?

*I realise it might be hard to tell, what with being surrounded by them

http://genderfluidsupport.tumblr.com/Pronouns

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

There being people with special snowflake identities doesn't make it that there are only two gender identities. That there are several possible genders doesn't mean there are infinite genders.

Are you hard of understanding? Because this really shouldn't be so difficult to grasp.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Still want to know how you classify intersex people which have physically a broad range of x's and y's and genetalia all over the place. Are they boy/girl or is it boy/intersex/girl. cause that's dangerously close to a spectrum to call something not boy girl.

Again, all that is BEFORE you even consider special snowflake identification. Its physiological.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Still want to know how you classify intersex people which have physically a broad range of x's and y's and genetalia all over the place. Are they boy/girl or is it boy/intersex/girl. cause that's dangerously close to a spectrum to call something not boy girl.

Again, all that is BEFORE you even consider special snowflake identification. Its physiological.

You flip a coin, because there are only two genders

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

It quite literally is a spectrum and there are a bunch of sexually dimorphic nuclei in the brain (the third interstitial nucleus of the anterior hypothalamus chief among the ones we've studied) that show varying degrees of neuron number and density along a male-female presenting gender identity and homo-hetero sexual orientation.

That being the case doesn't necessitate "orbogender" or whatever the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

a bone to pick posted:

now THIS is science

Looks like this shitposter...

Has a bone to pick

• Locked thread