Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Drone posted:

It always blows my mind to see expensive and tacky-rear end boomer paradise mcmansions that almost invariably still have a CRT tucked away somewhere, ostensibly still in use.

They can't go 30 minutes without getting their Hannity fix. Cable in every room!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

falz posted:

Curious what part of USA doesn't have window screens? I know some tropical non USA spots like Jamaica does that and it seems odd to me.

Like every lovely landlord north of Maryland takes them off the windows on any house they buy if they were even there to begin with.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Earthships are a great concept for reuse of common waste materials. They're also hella expensive to build unless the site you selected just happens to be a used tire and soda can dump because it turns out both of those have other, more valuable uses than becoming part of your mud hut in the middle of nowhere Arizona where the county code inspector is actually the tooth fairy because no permitting agency in their right mind will let you build one.

E: Also, I've heard from hippie friends of mine that if you build them anywhere besides the desert they're uncomfortably damp all the time.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

It’s a pity my realtor wasn’t a goon or I could have just told her “I want an interior that would make Prada Slut cry” instead of “no flips or open floor plans or anything with grey ‘wood’ laminate”

Like could you imagine being that afraid of having color on your walls?

corgski fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 17, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

peanut posted:

do you mean cry with sad tears or happy tears

Sad tears, I like Queen Anne Victorians and Arts & Crafts both of which involve lots of colors that are not grey and an amount of ornamentation as part of their design.

I also like prairie and mcm and other schools of architecture which do feature more neutral colors than the first two but they still use colors goddamnit.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I tend to aeron the side of caution about things like this

Perhaps you keep a neutra face but I think there’s womb for Eero

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

imagine designing this and then you can't even put a real tulip chair in there

I have four of those exact knockoffs sitting in my dad's woodshop actually. Got the lot for $25 at an estate sale but gently caress it they look decent enough when cleaned up. I'd probably upset a lot of people by displaying them next to my (real but also beat to poo poo) eames chair.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

MetaJew posted:

What about when I brag about the massive kitchen sink I bought for 90% off or the high-end appliances I got open box for 67% off?

Then you’re the second or third generation of an immigrant family who was raised in a culture of extreme frugality such that it’s required to justify having nice things by highlighting how much of a discount you got, because paying full price is for schmucks?

Just speaking from my own experience here.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Love to do makeup with a tiny off-center mirror and a glistening chandelier above my head instead of even diffuse lighting.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

They probably didn't sand at all before they painted.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Look at you schlubs who don’t have a laundry chute in your house. (Ignore the romex, that’s a previous owner’s terrible idea of how to remediate knob and tube.)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

Hey I'm trying here. Indoctrinating the masses into the glorious Arts & Crafts movement takes time.

I've got your back, even if my Arts & Crafts house is a few bad storms away from sinking into the earth.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Oh my god my poor budget, I want so much of it. :j:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

The Bloop posted:

$12,999 on Wayfair

It's rustic!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I think they mean decora receptacles?

v and yeah personally decora strikes me as extremely "1980s modernist" rather than modern but no judgement

corgski fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 13, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

The Bloop posted:

well this is apparently a thing

I love how two apple wall warts (or any perfectly square plug) would interfere on that.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

actionjackson posted:

you have to understand that poster has a phd in outlet modernity

I'm ABD, actually

(anything but decora)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

MetaJew posted:

gently caress that lady.

FTFY

But also y’all are allowed to like them. I just viscerally associate decora fixtures with the same sort of lovely 1980s “renovations” that put venetian blinds in victorians after cutting out all the original trim.

Anyway I have no room to talk about what’s dated, I’m installing reproduction push button switches in my house. :v:

e: Here’s a cursed bathroom as a palate cleanser.

corgski fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 14, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

:wtc:

Let’s talk about something other than outlets in this thread before this turns into DIY fight club. Please.

I don’t want to have to use buttons.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

actionjackson posted:

looking at some record table credenzas on etsy, these one caught my eye

https://www.etsy.com/listing/761861268/medium-sliding-door-record-storage

Not gonna lie, I'd put that in my stereo room if I didn't have an entire house to renovate still. (and also if that room had climate control so we could actually store the vinyl in the same room we listen to it in.)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Personally my favorite name for an aesthetic sensibility is "Neon Ooze Surf Shack."

Although "frasurbane" is up there too.

corgski fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 14, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Ooooh despard switches! I haven't come across those in a while.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

selnaric posted:

You can still get them. They are expensive though. Van Dyke's has some for $28.

$28 is high, I’m paying $14 ea for the reproductions I need.

https://www.kyleswitchplates.com/push-button-light-switches/

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Speaking from experience, disassemble it or haul it in through a window/balcony as appropriate.

It's not convenient at all.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Honestly if it’s as bad as you’re making it sound they probably didn’t prep the surface at all before haphazardly smearing joint compound inside the frames. A putty knife and some elbow grease (and maybe a bit of steam) may be all it takes to get it down, at which point a quick sand and a skim coat to fill in any divots you made with the knife would give you a decent surface to work with.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Eh, If the joint compound was applied on top of latex paint without prepping the surface it doesn't matter if there's more paint on top of it, all you have to do is get under the top coat of paint and wet it a bit and it'll fall right off.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Three computers.

Only 3?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Even Grover had handrails. Just with a murder window at the bottom.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

yeah, and your funko pops

Nobody’s reading funko pops, chill.

KillerEggplant posted:

Why would you want to hide your books? Nothing wrong with books being on display.

poo poo, when I lived in an old school my windowsills were all filled with books, and I had books stacked on top of my piano. It was extremely on brand for the space.

corgski fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 9, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I wasn’t clear enough last time but please chill out about the size of people’s book collections and whether they should or shouldn’t display them.

That lovely backwards shelving is fair game however.

corgski fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 10, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Oh I really like that option. Right now I’m suffering with a dead corner which is the worst.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Ever since touring Hammond castle I’ve been a fan. I’m sure there are downsides to living in a big drafty pile of stones but but castle! The little girl in me that wanted to be a princess is all about that life.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

tbh probs not a render but an empty picture they placed objects from a render over. look at the carpet under the table, that shits a loving plank of a carpet

Vectorworks, the favorite bim/visualization suite of everyone too cheap to spring for autocad and all the various plugins needed to make it behave, has a built-in feature to align your render camera exactly with an existing photograph for poo poo like that. I’ve used it before and it’s pretty slick even if the actual rendering engine still sucks.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I know plenty of people who are perfectly happy in 1000 square feet. I also know that when house shopping you really tend to underestimate your space requirements if you’re coming from a tiny cramped apartment, and once you start looking adjusting your space estimate upwards isn’t all that rare. 2400 square feet is the finished, habitable space in the 1910s foursquare we ended up buying, and this is on the smaller side of foursquares in my city.

Tiny detached houses in the US are largely a product of the 1940s/50s suburban boom and they’re not for everyone, especially if you have hobbies that can’t pack down into shoeboxes. It’s ok to want space to live in.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

actionjackson posted:

The increase in housing sizes is because people have acquired more and more stuff. Minneapolis is full of neighborhoods with <1000 SF houses because they were built immediately after WWII. My mother grew up in one with her four siblings and it was fine.

Right, built immediately after WWII - that was an anomalous period in the US, houses predating the post-war boom were often much larger.

corgski fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 13, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I can't think of many hobbies that would necessitate a large increase in home size. Maybe a pool table?

But again even in those cases, how much are you willing to pay for it? Hundreds of thousands of dollars? Probably not.

My hobby is collecting and restoring vintage computers. My fiance's hobbies include metal music and collecting taxidermy. These things could technically fit in a 1500 square ft house if you kept them all packed away and out of sight all the time except for when you were actually using them, but that adds a lot of extra labor to engaging in your hobby and defeats the entire point of having a collection. More space means you can keep your workspace set up and display things, which is not an unreasonable thing to want.

The added cost is absolutely a concern, but

PRADA SLUT posted:

oh those rooms are for hobbies? well that's totally different, I thought we were talking about space that people could live in

2400 square feet isn't an obscene McMansion deserving of mockery.

corgski fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 14, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Sorry, that second part was intended for Prada! I wasn't clear.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

it's not, but it is if you don't need it

Let the people who are actually going to live in those houses decide if they need it instead of deciding for them.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Let's change the subject, people.

Also I'm going to start probing for making GBS threads on other people's design and housing choices in this thread when they aren't actually legitimately terrible, because Anne Whateley has it right:

Anne Whateley posted:

Some people prefer to pay $1k for MDF shipped halfway around the world, even when their needs could be met by painting a local craigslist piece for $100.

Some people prefer to have a dining room, even when their needs could be met by eating on the couch or at a kitchen counter.

People's priorities are different, and it doesn't always make them monsters. This thread could use a lot less sneering imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

For PRADA SLUT and anyone else interested in continuing this discussion: there is a wonderful thread in D&D for anyone interested in discussing the issues caused by suburban sprawl.

Urban Planning Megathread - I'll NIMBY in your YIMBY

Let's keep this thread focused on how we're decorating our houses, not the moral implications of having a house.