Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We had to persuade the builder of our house that yes, most modern people would want space and plumbing for a dishwasher, especially as he thought the three houses he built would be ideal for young families.

Also he's tall, like 6'6", my wife and I are 5'8"ish. The sink in the downstairs loo is too tall to use comfortably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Currently the average height in the USA is 5'9"male, 5'4"female, so overall 5'6.5".

E: we've also got kids, even standing on a stool they really struggle to wash their hands. I'm always on the lookout for a sink that'll fit the space and be set into the counter, so about 7" lower than current.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

One of mine spent at least 20 minutes of perching on top of the garbage can staring at me intently, and she probably would have enjoyed a nice comfy chair instead. Unfortunately there is no room for a chair in my bathroom unless I replace the garbage can with a bar stool. But if you're going to have a hundred square feet of bathroom space you might as well have a cat chair in there too.

Haifisch posted:

So what you're saying is that if I make overpriced chairs patterned with fish skeletons and paw prints, I can make millions selling them to overindulgent cat people(whose cats will then refuse to use the chairs).

Make a nice looking garbage can with a padded stool seat/lid that's actually strong enough to sit on and you've got it covered both ways.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I love glass splashbacks, but they're expensive if done right and look crappy if done cheap. I'm also beginning to find fault with the decor of our kitchen, neutral shades of tile, brown laminate worktop, beige cupboard doors, neither of us like the built-in appliances. I want to replace the little square gas hob with one that has the for burners in a line so you're not reaching over and around pans to use the back burners.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

peanut posted:

The washer in the kitchen surprised me but makes perfect sense for plumbing and hot water. My friend's houses also had those on-demand water heaters on the wall in the shower like I'd only seen in SE Asia. Is that standard in England or just older buildings?

Depends honestly. If you've a large family a tank of hot water won't last long so an on demand electric or constant supply combi-boiler are the way to go. Tiny combi boiler and underpowered electric shower are the way cheap new houses go.

A friend of mine bought a house and found his electric shower was only a 5kw job so couldn't supply water hot enough or fast enough to get a decent shower, when he tried to replace it he found the wiring was undersized for any replacement so he wanted to switch to hot water from his boiler, only to find that would be over 100% capacity for a reasonable flow at lukewarm temperatures.

I think upgrading his breaker box, wiring and electric shower cost slightly less than the bigger boiler so he went with that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Simple, poors have very simple cheap houses. To differentiate my mansion I'll have as many roof pitches as possible, then the rich will know I'm one of them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

On the other hand big cheap rugs are great for throwing colours into a space to greet a feel for how they work, and so easily replaced if they're just not working.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Find something you like the look of at 30" then get to it with the hacksaw.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

I just need to gain or hire-out the know how to help pull it all together to a broad set of materials, colours and layouts.

To gain that know how you can attend a design school for a few years, or browse Pinterest for a few hours. That fee, for a whole house, seems reasonable. I'm a tasteless pleb and would never pay it though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Correct, the local shops I go to regularly won't accept it because they can't shift it. Sadly I think most of it gets sent to the tip unless it's a brand like g-plan, then it gets ebayed for thousands (and often doesn't sell, I've seen the same units go up for sale repeatedly for over a year occasionally)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Personally I love the look of some mcm kit, less so the atomic look. However real pieces that look good and are in good condition command a premium, many many more times than it would cost to make them myself.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tacky as hell? Yes. Still think it's great, more power to them. They also explicitly mentioned it will be easy to remove when they move, so it probably won't crop up in this thread again when it shows up on Zillow.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

My in-laws have 7'8"ceilings and did the hanging frosted globe deal. My father-in-law is over 6', they didn't last long :v:

Supplemental lighting: any recommendations for slim mcm standing lights?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I might get one of those for my son.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

No just double the normal human width, so 1 American wide :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

That's pretty similar to my house, huh.

*braces self*

Apart from looking like it's 0.1mm from your neighbors gutter I have no complaints, if you want soulless but well insulated box I'll post a pic of mine later.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Consider having the bookcase above/around the armchair rather than separate, or a pair of corner units. Please also consider the humidity, I'm not sure about your definition of garden office but I wouldn't keep nice books anywhere they could get damp.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I have dark wood(laminate) floors and hate it. I also have that exact bureau.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Time Trial posted:

or bidet goodbye?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Parasol Prophet posted:

I will consider all of this. I didn't know it was possible to make a thread, and the idea scares me a little, but if there's interest I might try it. It'd also keep me from clogging up this thread as things get going, I guess. Especially since there are also exterior things like the front door that I could use advice on. I'll have to make sure I can keep up with regular updates first, though.

And thanks so much for the recommendations! One of the things I'm most worried about is making a huge sweaty mess-- I'm reluctant to even unpack anything, thinking it'll just be in the way. If I can reasonably keep things contained to one room at a time, though, that's a huge relief.

If you've a big whole house project just post a thread, you can easily refer back to the things you've posted and it's a place to keep photos and collect advice and opinions.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Look at you, thinking you'll have energy and time for that bullshit once kids are a factor.

The bunkbed may be a weekend worth of man hours, but when you only get to put in 30 minutes at a time, it's a six-month project.

Word. I spend those 30 minutes wisely, because you don't get them back and have bought things I know I could make just because the benefit of having it now outweighs the saving from building it myself in some months.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

learnincurve posted:

My other unit turned up :D I am fully aware that a lot of people are going to absolutely hate these.

Regardless of whether or not I'd buy it I hate to see waste, so you bringing these two back together and caring for them is great to see.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If you want textures you have to agree to be the one to clean them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Speaking of ikea I'd like a modular wall unit system like ladderax or similar. I've kept my eye out for something suitable on eBay but I'd have to buy multiple part lots to build what I want then refinish it all to match. Ikea recently release their Svalnas range which is pretty much exactly what I want

Just need to respray the brackets.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

^ to place your white books on a white wall with white boxes and white dividers, with white flooring and a white chair?

Honestly I'm trying to stay as far away from IKEA as possible - I'm in my early thirties and I've been around this furniture for 15+ years in various homes and flats and always been dissapointed.

Nah, my books are a cacophony of colours and I don't really do niknaks, flooring is dark laminate and chairs will have deep coloured fabric.

I'm well aware of what I'm getting into with ikea, chipboard construction means temporary, this is bamboo which if treated properly is going to last far longer. Not as long as mahogany etc. but not garbage.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I have a recliner that must be designed for fatties, my weight can't hold it back. I keep meaning to take it apart and see if I can take some tension out of it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just put "room name" into Pinterest and find a colour palette/example I don't find hateful, then get my wife to reject it and find something nicer.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Awkward space with the door and skylight placing. I'd avoid wardrobes in that space, it might suit a desk/dressing table better?
E: not helpful I know but I'd find somewhere else or you'll waste the natural light.

If I had to use that space I'd use tall drawer units (1500 ish) and matching short wardrobe. Freestanding wood probably

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 8, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Those are cables for light fittings.

For my own part, the desk is in another room. Three desks, in three rooms, for three purposes, in fact.

Thus. It's evening now.

The cables are for light fittings and are above head height. The point where the walls angle used to be a normal-height ceiling.

The skylight will have a blind on it and the windows will have proper curtains.

Wardrobes against the wall on the right in this picture, bed centred on the wall under the skylight, would that fit?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

My floor looks pretty much like your stain, you'll need a lot of lighting to bring the room up. When I change it I'm going with a lighter Oak.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

take some time to square things up in his mind and get writ with his true self.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

E: also, you have too much poo poo on every surface, it makes the place look like a hoarder house. You need an actual place for things that isn’t “crammed under the coffee table” or “shoved in the corner of the bench”

Please have a word with my wife.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Oh I didn't say replace it

Rearrange it, declare your fealty to VOLE

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

vonnegutt posted:

Ask me how I feel about backsplashes, that One Weird Trick to sell extra tile that nobody thought about before 2010.

This is the sort of comment that results in hundreds of anecdotes that say you're wrong.
(I remember my parents house having tiled backsplash 25 years ago)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

vonnegutt posted:

Perhaps I should have specified "backsplashes as decorative element". If you're redoing your kitchen right now, after countertops, the first thing everyone asks about is your backsplash. Is it going to be glass tile? What's your backsplash color theme? Have you seen what Chip and Joanna did to that one backsplash with the painted tile? Is subway tile still in??

Ah gotcha, understood.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Want.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

So, get rid of the land mass couch? Keep rejiggering everything until it fits even if it's a suboptimal layout? What would you, random goon, do?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

learnincurve posted:

That’s not even remotely true and comes across as quite a bit racist posted next to your av. The UK from above is very very green. It’s a complex issue stemming from the way old medieval cities were layed out (when the population was only a few million) and also how the new industrial revolution cities were thrown up to accommodate a massive influx of people that came in from the countryside as cheaply as possible.

What is strange is when the govenment new build estate building projects happened after the wars they went “I know what poor people with lots of children will want! Massive gardens!”

Space for the kids to play and space to grow food? Can't see a problem there. Unless you match it up to a tiny damp concrete bunker of a house...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Needs a large-bore pneumatic delivery system. Big enough to ride in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Your mother.

:v: