Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Our ensuite is a wet room and I hate it. Sure, it looks nice and modern and I'm sure that the previous owners did it to make the house more saleable, but it's a nuisance. After a shower water goes everywhere, so I keep a squeegee in there so I can herd it into the drain and have the floor dry out more quickly. Otherwise I end up stepping in tiny puddles if I need to get up during the night to pee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

This is my loungeroom.

The house faces west, and the front of the house cops a lot of sun. But we have a nice view of the surrounding farmland and mountain range out of the windows.

At the moment, there's white block-out roller blinds on the windows, which are broken. So I'm looking for ideas on what might be a suitable thing to replace them with. Ideally, the window covering would cut down noise from the street, and glare/heat from the sun. We got a quote for aluminium plantation shutters, but my partner thinks that the slats would be too obtrusive and block the view.

I like how the shutters look and personally I don't find them too much of a view blocker. Mr bee likes the Idea of cellular blinds, but I'm concerned that with the amount of heat and light they'd be subject to, that they'd start to break down within a few years and we'd need to replace them. Also, I don't think that they'd not look as aesthetically pleasing as shutters.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them :v:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

learnincurve posted:

My new kitchen has space under the counter for a fridge and freezer but not a tall one, also no plumbing for a dishwasher.

When we purchased this house, the kitchen had no dishwasher, no exhaust fan or rangehood, and the pantry was deeper than it was wide so you had to dig into it like a wombat hunting for food. I took great delight in having it gutted and redone.

Eta: also, they'd fixed a row of Ikea cupboards onto the wall above the stove top and counter. They were at the exact right position to hit your face on when cooking or preparing food. The whole thing was a great example of "looks nice in the realtor's photos but badly designed kitchen".

bee fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 27, 2017

bee
Dec 17, 2008

We just installed a Ring doorbell. At first I was a bit sceptical due to the price, but it's really useful since we have a cabin in the backyard we're using as a home office. If someone comes to the front door of the house we can either tell them through the speaker to wait for us to come to the door, or ignore them if it's a salesperson or religious door knocker.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

It hooks up to your wifi, does the whole thing fall apart if your uplink goes down? Like, does the video on your phone stuff stop working if your internet connection drops? I live semi-rural and am on satellite internet, fml, and the throughput and latency aren't so hot, and it's a fairly touchy connection anyhow. If it were able to operate entirely locally, that'd be one thing, but if it needs to dial home to the manufacturer's servers to do its stuff, I'm out. Which is a common issue for a lot of those IoT doorbells.

If the WiFi or internet connection goes down, you won't be able to access the video or microphone, and it won't ping your phone to let you know that there's someone at the door. It will still chime like an ordinary doorbell though.