Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Hambilderberglar posted:

As for kitchens I am a bigly fan of concepts like this:

Except with stainless steel worktops. Sink is directly welded in and it's so, so cleanable. My girlfriend thinks it looks like a 23rd century auto-shop so I'm still fighting that fight.

Look at that staircase! Riserless glass treads? I have a mild phobia of see-through floors and riserless stairs, so combining those makes me very uncomfortable. They're like a more terrifying version of these stairs at the Des Moines Art Center, which I had a very hard time with.

They look awesome though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Tomorrow I will make an album of my grandparents' house, because it was quite something, but for now here is a teaser: 100% toile bedroom. Toile wallpaper, lampshades, bedding, and upholstery.

My grandmother broke both her hips falling out of that drat bed (twice, one hip each time).

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
So I think I will split up my grandparents' house into a few posts, as I have more pictures than I thought. These were taken after my grandfather passed and my grandmother was in hospice (she passed a couple weeks afterwards) and we were trying to get the house ready to sell. I absolutely loved this house and it hurts very much that I'll never go there again, so while you are free to critique, please be kind.

We will start upstairs in the master bedroom/toile overload.

Massive hipbreaking toile bed.

Writing desk/dresser featuring me as a small child, and chair with toile cushion.

Another view of the writing desk/dresser.

Toile wall, featuring silhouettes of my brother and I.

Antique dresser, mirror, and tchotchkes.

Doge. My great aunt's shiba Chili, or "Good Old Chill Chill" as my uncle called him.

Moving on now to my grandparents' dressing room, which I did not even know existed until they were gone.

Chair upholstered in bedroom toile, and an oriental rug (there are many oriental rugs in this house)

Different toile-ish wallpaper and family pics.

Are you tired of toile yet? I hope not because here goes the upstairs guest room, where I spent many summers.

You may notice the wallpaper matches the curtains and pillows.

Check out this sweet mirror.

The toile even extends to the bathroom. I also always hated that wicker chair in there.

That's pretty much the whole upstairs and I'm toiled out for now. Stay tuned for chicken kitchen, monkey chandelier, Revolutionary War era log cabin, and George Washington.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

cheese eats mouse posted:

What happened to all the furniture? I love that white chair and mirror.

It either stayed with the house as the buyer purchased a lot of the furniture, or it ended up with my uncle and is in at his house or in storage. The thing I want most of all is a table lamp made of wrought iron in the shape of a green bean vine, but god only knows how much shipping would be.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Thank you so much for sharing these. I do have two questions, if you'd be so kind:

1. Do you know how old the house is/what year it was built?
2. Do you have any exterior photos?

I'm a bit of an architecture nerd.

The chimney is part of the oldest part of the house, which is a Revolutionary War era log cabin. Supposedly it was used as a town jail for a time, with the debtors and nonviolent criminals housed on the bottom floor, and violent criminals on the second floor.

Log cabin collections in the log cabin.

Great aunt and the incredibly terrifying stairs: no railing, very high, and steep as hell.

Upstairs in the cabin.

The cabin had additions put on several times, most recently by my grandparents in the late 90s. It was in very poor shape when they bought it and they completely gutted and redid it (or rather, had my uncle do it).

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Grandparents' house, round 3.

My grandmother collected a lot of things

MONKEY CHANDELIER

An ancestor.

Wall plates.

Grandfather clock that bonged out the hour every hour, like a miniature church bell. Often woke me up in the middle of the night.

Heated stone floors.

Chicken Kitchen. The wallpaper is chicken wire with some cut out chickens decoupaged on in places. Many many cookbooks.

And finally, the crow themed staircase and upstairs hallway.

So that's my grandparents' house, hope you enjoyed.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Facebook Aunt posted:

I guess it's safe to assume she didn't have cats? So many not-chipped things on flat surfaces.

Correct. They did have a dog but he was pretty chill. Most of the collections were in the less lived in rooms as well.

When I get a house, I'm gonna paint my living room Grass Bat, just like my grandmother did.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

learnincurve posted:

My new kitchen has space under the counter for a fridge and freezer but not a tall one, also no plumbing for a dishwasher.

Never will I ever again live in a place without a dishwasher, or at least enough counter space for one of those countertop dishwashers.

This is on my mind because my husband and I are fixing on moving this summer or fall depending on when we find a good place to rent.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

value-brand cereal posted:

Do you want to walk into a room and wonder if you've gone colorblind but only for every color but green?

Suddenly I find myself wondering what my grandparents' bedroom looked like in past houses. This is like TOILE but a different decade. (needs more antiques though)

Also, is posting an image from tumblr without rehosting not hotlinking? If so this will save me some minor hassle when posting in the future.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
^^^
Quonset hut house is dope.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/az/concho/669-county-road-8235-stanford/pid_18337473/

quote:

Contemporary eccentric full log sided custom home on 20+/- acres for the cat fancier! If you love cats this is the home for you! If not bring your sandblaster! Custom build, hardwood kitchen cabinets (Oak, Lacewood, and Bocote) artistically accented with river rock. Cat walkways and in great room Medieval cat castle with different levels (stone). All interior doors custom built (wood). Must see to believe it does exist!!! Once in a lifetime find extremely fun home!

Well I tell you what I loving love cats, like volunteer weekly at the cat shelter and have a cat instagram love cats, and this house is hideous. That being said, built in cat walkways would be fun.

There are 41 pictures in that listing and each is worse than the last. I wonder how many cats lived there, and how much it smells like pee.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Phil Moscowitz posted:

While I sort of agree, living in New Orleans where the vast majority of the housing stock is 120+ years old it's very common to see gut renovations where the facade and other exterior features are retained (necessarily by preservation codes) but the interiors almost totally redone. Many period design features are also either salvaged or reclaimed (crown molding, pocket doors, chandeliers and coal fireplaces that may or may not work) but the layouts are not reasonable for modern living.

I sort of assume that this happened to a lot of houses that got Katrina'd.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I love the view of bare dirt and rocks. Wonder what happens when it rains?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

That cupboard is like Baba Yaga's house on chicken legs.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I like this but not $180 like. It might make a pretty good bedside table. Hopefully it has French schoolchild graffiti carved into it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

The Sexual Shiite posted:

This one's a slow burn, but I think it fits here. Longass tour, but it gets better the farther you go. jesus, we all dodged bullets.

I can't believe I watched this whole thing. I don't have the fairy stuff although it's pretty overpowering. What I do hate, though, is shelves and shelves full of toys.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

WrenP-Complete posted:

I've been thinking about that for days! I thought I was the only one. Like how to install a weird permanent slip-n-slide? Hmmm.

Synthetic Ice! For all your indoor hockey practice and kitchen powerslide needs.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Enfys posted:

From the Terrible Real Estate Photos:

Even my grandmother with her matching toile walls/bedding/curtains/upholstery never put a pattern on the ceiling.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
One weekend morning I was drinking a leisurely cup of coffee and cruising the forums and the glass dome of the boob light in my kitchen somehow came loose and smashed on the floor in a million pieces. Scared the heck out of me, and then the landlord replaced it with a dome that doesn't match the light in the living room.

Anyway, I used to work in a hardware store and people bought a lot boob lights because they are cheap and often come in two packs and often go on sale.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

That bathtub looks like a Crown Royal bag.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

learnincurve posted:

My nan, the eternal optimist, started old ladying her house when she was 60. Hand rails up to the front door, ramp up to the back door, moved stuff like the water and gas stop cocks up to hip height, walk in bath and so on and so forth. Logic was that she thought that when she was really an old lady that it would all be too much bother and disruption. She's 90 now and it turns out she was right.

My parents are in their early 60s and JUST renovated like half their house a couple years ago and didn't do any of that stuff. Missed opportunity there.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Collateral Damage posted:

"What do you want in your house?" "One of everything. We want statues, and an arch, and a pool, and a sauna, and a wine cellar, and a fireplace, and a walk in closet, and and and... Also, take all the windows from the front of the house and put them in the back."

http://www.magnussonmakleri.se/objekt/obj19656_1575882482/?view=images#bilder

I love the mixed black and white tile bathroom floor for real though.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Time Trial posted:

The wallpaper that came in my half bath is quite something. Should I keep it and renovate the rest of the bathroom or bid it goodbye?

Peel off a large enough section that you can truly see how nuts it is, frame it, renovate, and then hang it back up.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

hailthefish posted:

Really, the best part is that stupid estate was built by the second richest dentist in the world and paid for with medicaid fraud.

Medicaid doesn't pay poo poo (at least not on the medical side of things) so good lord they must have been working harder on the fraud than the teeth.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

CHAIR WEALTH

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Youth Decay posted:

ABE LINCOLN IS WATCHING YOU POOP

I can't believe they went through the effort of making that insane baroque bathroom and just put a standard plain white toilet in it. Like, I realize a colored toilet is special order and costs like $800 and just seems wrong, but everything else is there seems kind of wrong as well so why not. At least put a fancy lid on it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Nanigans posted:

a small space that’s not quite living room, not quite dining room, do y’all have some ideas for what to do with the space?

I have a similar space in my house. I put a lovely futon there and use it for lounging on while I post on SA.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
There are at least two leftover/unfinished craft supply stores in Kansas City. I've been to the sewing specific one (Fabric Recycles, where you can buy partially pieced quilts OR bring them in for cash/store credit) but not the more general supply one (Scraps KC). In fact I am currently lounging under a blanket knit from a ton of second hand yarn from Fabric Recycles and the thrift store, plus all the odds and ends I accumulated over 10 years of knitting.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Parachute posted:

gently caress collecting stuff that just sits there as fuel for the fire. you're better off hollowing out those books and using them to hide guns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEcESltqTcY

One of the few practical projects Waterjet Channel has ever done.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

When I moved in, my house had, in the kitchen, a wall with a fake brick veneer. Like, they'd just taken 1/2"-wide slices of bricks and glued them onto drywall, no mortar or anything.

And then they painted it pastel lime green.

That reminds me of this house I drive by sometimes where all the brickwork is painted green except they only went halfway up the chimney.

I truly appreciate Google for allowing me to show this to you.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Rotten Cookies posted:

Anyone ever seen a carpeted kitchen counter? Goes from the carpeted kitchen floor, wraps up the wall and onto the counter? Someone has to have made this egregious monstrosity.

Almost but not quite a carpeted counter...also not a kitchen.

But then I also found this, which would be fine for a backsplash but is awful for the counter.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Liquid Communism posted:

Late 80's skating rinks, man. Same terrifying blacklight-reactive low-pile carpet on the floor, up the front, and over the top of the checkout counter.

Not sure if that blue material is carpet but I bet it is.

I also like that Arts and Crafts boob light.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
From the Funny Pictures thread in PYF:

It's like the boy/girl versions of toys where they're functionally the same thing but different colors/themes.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Haifisch posted:

Also remember when looking at interior design sites that your place is never going to look as flawless as their pictures, since someone actually lives there.

There needs to be an Instagram or something that's like "Cool houses that real people live in with their actual stuff" because I feel like those sterile design pictures are the house equivalent of photoshopped models and I kind of hate it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Facebook Aunt posted:

Imma go against the grain and say if you have this much natural light it's a loving crime to not have any plants. Dude is basically living in a greenhouse. Forget houseplants, you could grow tomatoes! Or a wall of peas!

Sorry, I've been living in a basement apartment for nearly 2 years now and it's making me a little crazy. I'd kill for a wall of peas.

I currently have lettuce and peas growing in my living room because my husband decided to get into hydroponics. They're growing in mason jars with some kind of nutrient water with daylight LEDs in a white posterboard enclosure. I actually dislike having this setup in the living room as it is really bright, ugly, takes up a lot of space and blocks the big bookcase, but we have a tiny house and there just isn't much space.

I am absolutely on team houseplant. We have dozens of them. One of the things we want most in a new house when we move is plant space. I'd love a whole plant room.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

wooger posted:

It’s called a garden?

I have outside plants too, I just wanted Facebook Aunt to know it is possible to grow a wall of peas in the living room.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

On a different topic, does anyone have any recommendations for books about architecture? Something that's, like, a layman's introduction to how houses are designed from an aesthetic and practical perspective. Not so much on the construction techniques, more on the "you want to put the kitchen over here because <reasons>" kind of thing.

Maybe Bill Bryson's "At Home" if you wanna be super casual about it. It's a history of the home, but a lot of it is focused on the stuff in the house, rather than the house itself.

McMansion Hell has a big list of books and resources: http://mcmansionhell.com/post/158046196166/the-mcmansion-hell-big-list-of-books-websites

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Pink bathroom you say?

Edit: I actually love the old pastel bathroom tiles and would be happy to have a pink bathroom as long as it was in good shape.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 8, 2018

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Chard posted:

If there was a sanitary way to do it, a grass-floored bathroom would loving own

Here ya go.

I quilt and if I had a bathroom with those tiles I would totally make a matching quilt. Or maybe I would tile the bathroom to match a quilt I've already made? Hmm.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

But how would you line the tiles up? It would ruin your design.

To be quite honest, I'm kind of a sloppy quilter, so if the tiles don't quite line up it would be pretty accurate.

Also here is the source for the shower garden: https://www.improvisedlife.com/2013/03/20/garden-in-the-shower-a-moss-bathmat/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I like the rest of your post but I gotta take issue with this- we use those materials because they are also warm and soft and behave as insulators in ways that metal generally does not.

Unless you put them in the sun, where they will burn the gently caress out of you, much like the metal playground slides of my childhood.

99% Invisible is one of the two best podcasts out there (the other one is Reply All but they don't really do much in the way of design and so are exempt from this conversation).