Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Are people more well built these days? Not fatter, just bigger. I'm a fairly thin, small boned woman, and antique shoes and vintage dresses are all way too small for me. Part of that might be because I don't wear a girdle, though.

In Bill Bryson's book At Home, he says that part of the reason houses were built smaller is because there were often taxes on windows and doors.

Part of that is vanity sizing, of course
VVVVVVVVVVVV

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Facebook Aunt posted:

Okay, sure, but imagine you are a burglar. Try to find the valuables in that there sparkle palace. It's the perfect security system.

You've just described my jewelry storage system: fine jewelry and costume jewelry piled up together on top of my dresser and my bedside table. Is it a rhinestone? Is it a diamond? Is it Swarovski? Is it paste? Who knows! (some of it I don't even know)

And on the subject of slave cabins: here is a very interesting article about a man who is attempting to sleep in every surviving slave cabin in the US. It doesn't have any pictures, though.

quote:

“I was expecting a dirt floor, so this is nice,” McGill says, lying down to sample the hard pine planks. “Might get a decent sleep tonight.”

Some travelers dream of five-star hotels, others of visiting seven continents. McGill’s mission: to sleep in every former slave dwelling still standing in the United States. Tonight’s stay, in a cabin on Georgia’s Ossabaw Island, will be his 41st such lodging.

This Atlas Obscura article has plenty of pictures, but only of exteriors.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
PURPLE TOILET

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

falz posted:

In attempt to change the thread from its current downward spiral into possibly a different downward spiral, what are peoples hot takes on painting brick fireplaces?

Mine is this really ugly pink colour, in the past I'd be against it since it can't be undone, but this colour may have changed my mind.

Could you perhaps use a concrete stain/dye on it? GIS shows it can be done.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Art Deco might be the coolest style, but Craftsman houses are the ones I want to live in (possibly because I grew up in a semi-Craftsman house?)

Wallet posted:

If you want to change the color of brick why not just use brick stain instead of paint? I think it's mostly only available in plausible stone colors but you can certainly get away from washed out pink. Using paint on stone work is kind of a bummer as it removes all of the texture.

This is a nice post/avatar combo.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
That fixture is amazing.

So is this caterpillar stickpin.

Probably a good thing I can't afford either of those.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I ran into a friend today.

There was also a black one for $1500 at another store that didn't have the ottoman. That one was real for sure, the brown one might be a knockoff.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Words cannot describe how much I adore a pastel vintage bathroom and how much I LOATHE wall words.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I would be physically unable to use those stairs. I have a phobia (?) of riserless stairs, elevated areas without handrails, and transparent floors, so a set of clear acrylic riserless stairs without handrails is basically tailor made to paralyze me.

And I adore Idlewild's office.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Youth Decay drinking game: take a shot whenever you see THAT CHAIR

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "Creole".

This post made me frown mightily.

Youth Decay, will you do "mosaic"? I want everything from beautiful intricate designs to DIY disasters.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

:godwinning:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

See, this is the kind of bonkers stuff that I love. It makes me think of the City Museum.

The neutral one is particularly nice, as the color scheme and large section of plain tiles tone it down but the textures are still interesting.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I kinda like dead cow on the floor, although I wonder how well they hold up. I might have to get one of those when I move.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Little people on the fireplace tiles... hmm.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I finished this recently and enjoyed it alot. It's basically a history book. There aren't alot of pictures but if you look up all the weird architecture that's referenced in it is like a historical version of Youth Decays daily posts.

Oh man, I would love an illustrated edition of At Home!

At least it has the weird photos of the woman who presented as a housekeeper to a gentleman to the outside world, but was actually his wife, and they did weird slave roleplay where she wore blackface.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bloody posted:

I am looking for book recommendations. I don't know the language of design, nor enough of the history of the various movements, and I would like to learn. I have a vague idea of some of the things that define craftsman or mcm or what have you, but I feel like I don't know enough of anything to put words to what I like in a house or room or piece of furniture. This is probably too stupid and vague to reply to but idk I wanna read some books and learn some stuff

It's not a book, but Kate Wagner of McMansion Hell has written some good articles about architectural history. Unfortunately, it's a tumblr so they're not really organized very well.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I think I need to get an old sewing machine base to put under my desk so I can just pedal all day

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

BABISH :argh:

Architectural Digest tour

I like the drawer that's yellow with lights inside.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Youth Decay, how do you pick your word of the day?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I adore that bowling alley floor.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I have those in my old bedroom at my parents' house. I'm pretty sure they're real mother of pearl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Mormons believe that Independence was once the site of the Garden of Eden and all I can say to that is that I didn't know the Garden fell too.