Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m finally staying in one location for a while, so I figured it was time for a proper living room. I took a style quiz and apparently my aesthetic is modern eclectic. I’m not 100% what that means but it sounds reasonably accurate. I live alone in this condo that my friend owns. The drapes cover the sliding glass door to the balcony.

I don’t have guests over too often so I’m looking to replace my couch with a standard 3 seater and accent chair(s?). Would $500 for something on sale from Wayfair or Cort be enough for the sofa? Cort has 50% off for the next week so that seems like a good option. It doesn’t have to last forever, 5 good years would be fine since I’ll probably move by then. The Rubbermaid bins behind the couch can be moved into the spare bedroom. The sofa must be comfortable for naps, and I’m pretty tall so should I limit my search to models that have a back higher than ~32”? I like the look of these sofas, but I worry about 2 seat cushions since the 3rd person ends up sitting on the crack, though again that's rarely needed.

https://www.zinus.com/collections/sofas/products/pascal-sofa-oatmeal

https://www.cortfurnitureoutlet.com/product-details/living-room/pia-sofa

https://www.cortfurnitureoutlet.com/product-details/product/ballard-armless-loveseat-with-raf-chaise

I really like my coffee table so I’d be reluctant to change it for the time being.

The TV stand (dresser) I’m open to replacing but I actually use it for clothes storage so I’d have to figure out where to move the contents since my bedroom closet is full. I’m also willing to replace the glass end tables but they seem low priority.

I guess my main question is about the couch but also what other things I should keep an eye out for. I do have artwork for the walls, and I live in metro DC if you have specific recommendations.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

Well personally I like the third couch way better, 1 is also good in a classic mid century style, 2 pretty meh. (you changed the sofas while I was writing this, the original no.3)
By the original number 3 do you mean this one?

Or this one?

quote:

But the bigger issue is the living room is arranged around a) your TV and b) the cat. It's currently laid out solely to sit in front of the TV, which is blocking one of the windows. Style wise the ceiling lamp, shelves and drapes are pretty aggressively ugly, as well as the plastic tubs and cardboard boxes lying around.
I consume a lot of home theater media so I'll have to think on how to rearrange things to de-emphasize the TV, but that's always going to be a focal point, though it doesn't have to be the only one. If I push the couch back to the wall, it shouldn't block the right window. The drapes can be replaced, not sure about the shelves above the fireplace, and the tubs will be stored. Apologies for the boxes, I'm in the middle of extended spring cleaning but I wanted to get couch feedback sooner rather than later.

quote:

So you need to rearrange the room, new ceiling lamp and probably a floor lamp as well, some storage like a bookshelf. Paint the walls a nicer colour. Get a rug to tie the room together. Probably get a blind for the balcony doors and a matching one for the window (and open them). Give up golf. Keep it tidy when you're done.
Agreed the ceiling lamp is crap and I do plan to get a floor lamp, probably something like these from Ikea:

Painting the walls is a longer term project but I'm open to it. I do plan to get a rug--any advice there? These seem nice and they're wool which I'm told is what I should look for. $100 on clearance plus 50% off from Cort. I'm leaning toward the first one since it's less plain.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 7, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

there wolf posted:

You're definitely rocking the single guy who's most prized item is the tv look. What's your motivation for changing things up? You say you don't really entertain, and you mostly use the space to watch movies and stuff, so how does to impact what furniture you use and how you use it? Are you putting drinks on those side tables, lighting the fireplace, opening up the curtains for light?
I've had the couch for nearly 11 years so I'm looking for a change. Because I lost the links that connect the 4 seating pieces, they have a tendency to separate when you shift around. To wit, my ex said "this couch sucks for cuddling." The pieces form a slight curve and I'd prefer something straight to align with the coffee table. The lack of a chaise/ottoman means lying down while consuming media isn't the most comfortable. All this manifests as a persistent annoyance.

Drinks typically go on the coffee table, but I rarely drink something that requires a coaster. I haven't messed with the fireplace and I do open the curtains during the day.

quote:

Since it's kind of a small room, I'd skip an extra chair and go for just the lounger sofa and maybe an ottoman that can be made into a seat. If you don't have people over a lot then you don't need chairs for them. Get some fold-outs or floor pillows for the rare occasions you have company that exceeds couch capacity. And wool rugs are great, but not at $100. Get a nice synthetic until you're ready to spend some serious money on floor coverings.
A lounger makes sense, especially considering the lying down factor. I would be tempted to put it in the middle while alone, if that’s a thing most sofas can do. Those $100 wool rugs from Cort are used, usually rented out in corporate apartments. The new price is $700 but I don't know if anyone buys from them new.

quote:

In general, it looks like you really just need to purge some stuff. Quarantine is as good a time as any to start going through your boxes for what doesn't spark joy.
I definitely need to Marie Kondo everything I've accumulated since college. My desire for new furniture is because I've always moved around, and now that I've finally settled down, I want my environment to make me happy.

knox_harrington posted:

It was this one in terms of the design, but definitely important to go and sit on them as you can't tell if they are comfortable from looking. Also measure and ensure it fits the space.
Oof, I removed that one because it's $730 from Wayfair: https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/george-oliver-bicknell-93-right-hand-facing-sectional-w000823121.html Technically I can afford it but it would also be my most expensive furniture purchase by a large margin so I’m understandably hesistant. I could get there though.

I assume the taupe 2 cushion is the one you said was meh? I do like the midcentury one that you also said you liked, but it's only 26.38" high, so if I'm lounging on the couch during a media marathon, I don't think it's tall enough for my head, but I can keep those aesthetics in mind while searching for a different model.

quote:

I would recommend looking on something like Houzz and working out what aesthetic you like and buying things with that particular style in mind, rather than just getting things piecemeal because you like them. Your room will be a nicer place if it's coherent.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/living-room-ideas-phbr0-bp~t_718
Would Dwell also be a good resource?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 7, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

drgitlin posted:

Josh Lyman: for the love of god do not buy a sofa you haven’t personally sat on to make sure it’s not a horrible uncomfortable piece of garbage.
Does that mean places like Wayfair are off-limits? Or are they worth consideration if I can get a sense for the firmness/support from a bunch of reviews?

PRADA SLUT posted:

That's not expensive for a couch. If anything, that's like a bare minimum price.
I know a "decent" couch budget is like $1,500 but I'm not looking for something to last forever either.

quote:

Nothing you've listed sounds happy. You're talking about this like you're visiting your in-laws and have to make a side dish for the potluck, and are figuring out which off-brand of condensed cream of mushroom soup you're going to mix with a can of flaccid green beans.
That's kind of the point. This is the first time I've been able to afford to live without roommates. Up until now, I've just been kludging together stuff from Craigslist.

e: v Fair point, I should probably wait until I come across a couch I love and work on a wishlist of other living room elements while I'm searching. I will say, even though my current furniture doesn't reflect it, I generally prefer simple clean lines and neutral colors. Mix of wood/glass/metal is fine. Maybe I would describe it as scandinavian with a techie twist? I lean more sterile than warm.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 7, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

You need to figure out exactly what you're hoping to accomplish then. Getting a $750 couch and swapping it out in 5 years for a $1500 couch is adding 50% to the price of the piece you actually want (or, $150 a year in expense). I'd easily rather have a single better item I was happy with and hold off on a rug / coffee table / whatever until later. If that is just absolutely in no world possible given the budget, that's also fine, it's just something to consider. If you're really looking for a more "permanent" I'd consider the long-term costs even if it means you have to front load your budget or skip out on some items initially.
I probably can afford a $1500 couch, but I've never had a semi-permanent dwelling so I've always been reluctant to invest in furniture, especially since my Craigslist stuff has lasted so long (at the cost of styling). Also my cats like to scratch rough fabric. Also I have infinite buyer's remorse. If, as drgitlin said, I shouldn't buy a couch without trying it, I'll have to wait until quarantine is over to buy, which is fine. I just thought I might be able to get a deal right now.

quote:

This is the idea. It's fine if you have a list of items (couches, whatever) you like, but eventually you're going to have to wrap the entire room up and things need to make sense together. You also need to know exactly what in the room is going to stay, like if that dresser is going to be a permanent TV stand then whatever you buy needs to work with that wood/mass/profile.
Agreed the dresser-as-tv stand is visually heavy (also literally too heavy) and I want to replace it. Even my coffee table, which I really like, could stand to be replaced since it's too pastoral.

there wolf posted:

Josh, I agree that it's better to spend your budget on one or two things right now rather then try and get a whole room and have to compromise. How much do you actually like the stuff from Cort? Because to me it looks like exactly what it is, office furniture, and that's not what I'd want my home to look like.
The Cort stuff has the benefit of being available locally and their pre-rented items with minor wear are super discounted plus 50% off coupon. They have a couple items I like but not love. For example, the 2 cushion sofa I posted earlier, I like the lines and the metal feet, but 2 cushions means I'd have to sit off-center.

Speaking of which, I've done a lot of reading about chaise vs ottoman and the general consensus seems to be ottoman = flexible and chaise = comfort, but I've really only had experience with a chaise. It is fantastic for lounging and naps, but the coffee table would always be off-center which really bothers me. I want to be able to lounge in the middle of the couch which means I'd want to be able to put the chaise in the middle (obviously not when guests are over). Seeing as most reversible chaises have a narrower middle cushion which might make that impossible, I'm leaning toward a traditional sofa + ottoman since that gives me more sofa choices. My question is, how does an ottoman compare to a chaise for lounging comfort? Are there ever concerns about the ottoman sliding away from the couch and creating a gap? If neither of these are real-world problems, I'll go ahead looking for sofa + ottoman.

If it sounds like my priorities are for my living room to be a home theater first and a hosting area second, that would be correct, at least with respect to this condo for the time being. But I do want it to be nice to look at. I've looked through 1000+ photos on Houzz and nothing really speaks to me. :sigh:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 8, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

It's a bit difficult to advise if you don't have any idea what you like. If you literally just want a new couch, yeah what you posted is fine but absolutely go and sit on it first. You're right, an ottoman would be more flexible, if you get a rug you can put non-slip backing under it and the ottoman won't go anywhere.
I should've been more specific. There are some elements I like but never the whole vibe, in part because I can't really change the architecture of the room. Maybe I'm not using design inspiration photos correctly?

A coffee table with enough clearance to slide the ottoman under seems clever but severely limits choice of coffee table and forces both or neither. I also like the couch if it were a 3/single cushion. Too much white with the coffee table and I don't like the side table:

This is close to the size/layout/flooring of my living room. The ottoman seems too small to be useful, I would go darker for the walls and curtains, and I can't mount walls on the shelf.

I like this, minus the coffee table and rug. I can't replace the flooring but I can at least get a dark rug for contrast:

This is close, a bit more color with the rug and wall art:

quote:

I think that room would look nice with this colour scheme https://www.houzz.co.uk/hznb/photos/angel-flat-eclectic-living-room-london-phvw-vp~113769334

Even if the plan is for it to be primarily a home cinema it is probably worthwhile making the room look nice. You're right that the media unit is not ideal, but it's also covering the window, which has a broken blind. The curtains on the balcony window are pretty imposing/ugly as well. If making the room as a whole isn't priority at all then maybe the Interior Design Thread isn't the right place for the discussion.
That window faces trees that block most light. Replacing the blinds and curtains are on the list, just way down compared to furniture since they're relatively low cost and always available (I could be totally wrong about this). But you're right, maybe this isn't the appropriate thread. We don't have a furniture recommendation thread so maybe Reddit might be better at this stage.

Jaded Burnout posted:

If I can give a less shitheel version of what I think prada is saying, good quality furniture costs a lot of money. What you consider "good quality" varies from person to person, but I'm speaking about good materials and good build quality, while for example prada might put more stock in furniture being genuine designer rather than e.g. a high quality knockoff.

I did cringe when I read "pre-rented". I would suggest considering what you really want out of your furniture. If you just want something to sit on, then stick with what you have. If you want something to be a key part of your home, something that makes you happy to have around rather than something that bugs you whenever you see it, then prepare to spend a lot of time thinking, searching, and looking for it. You'll know when a piece of furniture (or anything, really) fits into your life, but you can only do that when you know what you want from life and your environment.
The Cort stuff is off my list now, it just helped ease me into a more realistic (higher) budget. While pre-rented might be a warning sign, pre-owned shouldn't, right? It seems like a lot of people are into vintage furniture which isn't my style but furniture being used shouldn't necessarily be a disqualifier, right?

My thinking throughout this process has been to figure out furniture first, then deal with smaller things like paint/drapes later. I realize paint can significantly change the feeling of a room, but given my penchant for neutral colors, I would only ever paint white or a blueish steel grey like what knox harrington linked, and I don't think that would affect my choice of furniture.

One thing I did figure out is that I apparently really like squared off white leather couches, ideally with round metal legs, which I guess puts me closer to $1500 than $750. I'll pick out some specific choices for couch/ottoman, coffee table, rug, and media center before I clutter up the thread for any more advice. Thanks for your feedback everyone. :cheers:

e: I like this but I worry if it's wide enough for me to lie down on since I'm 6'1. Also it's vinyl faux leather, but maybe that's not a big deal? For $680 at 53% off I'm very tempted.

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/orren-ellis-procter-sofa-ot3920.html?piid=33740615

e: It says the seat is 63.5" wide. I just did a test on my bed with a tape measure and I need a seat width of 67" :sigh:. Fine for lying on my side with slightly bent knees though... maybe that's good enough?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 8, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

The point is to get an idea of the "feel" of the room, and pick out elements you like, even if you don't give a poo poo about the entire thing or it's nothing that actually works in your place.

This is what you do:

- I like the white background because it pulls attention toward the center of the room and shows off the furniture
- I like how all the seats are floating (ie, not against a wall) as is centers focus and compartmentalizes the space
- I like the thin, raised legs on the furniture because they give the room a light, airy look
- I like the "organic" curves on the chairs because it adds some unusual interest
- I like the muted colors but using color to specifically focus on single items (the stripe o the )
- I like that the elements on the wall are displayed almost like an art gallery

And from here, I can find elements in any other and it starts to pull a design toward a convergence. I don't like the wool on the loveseat and I wouldn't do the wool, I wouldn't do the white upholstery, nor do I like whatever that picture is in the background, and the rug is okay, but it doesn't matter because I've developed enough information to find a trend (ie, center-focused, airy space, minimal excessive decor, "gallery-like" layout).
You can't play both sides of a Kondo-esque "spark joy" piece but then be like "but only from this one place I have a coupon for". Nobody actually cares about the specific price point or where you buy something, but furniture isn't some abstract, interchangable futures commodity and nobody happily plants their rear end on a couch they hate and thinks "wow, what a deal I got that one time so many years ago". I see that you're not considering Cort anymore, which is fine, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it, just that it was picked completely arbitrarily. If I were you, I'd even go somewhere completely outside your price point just to get an idea of what's out there, and it might give you a better idea of what you like, even if you don't buy those exact things (see above). I'm not even in the market for anything but I still go to specialized showrooms when I'm traveling just to get an idea of what's out there.
Coffee table and media center need to look sensible together, so probably a dual purchase, or at least with enough vision to know what you'll be after. White, squared leather couches were big in the mid-late 80's (except they usually sat on the ground), which probably isn't useful to you but it might give you some direction if you're looking at used / "vintage" / "estate" / whatever.
Really appreciate your effort post here, some good pointers I'll take into account.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

At the very least, I think he’d benefit from (re)moving the fourth section of his couch. The whole thing together is too large, and removing a section would probably give a better idea of what a regular sized couch would feel like in that spot.

Also, as a temporary band-aid, don’t forget you can minimize the sections sliding apart by looping something around the legs of two adjacent sections, like a zip tie or a wire.
I removed a section on my couch today and even though the remaining pieces are still 103" in length, it really opens up the room which is nice. It also cements the idea that I need something in the standard 84" range, that the white vinyl couch I posted earlier this page is just too small, almost like an oversized loveseat.

The suggestion about tying the feet together is so obvious and clever!

there wolf posted:

Leather/vinyl/etc. upholstery can be a problem with cats. They sink their claws in when jumping and you end up with a bunch of punctures on the arms and backs.
Yeah we had a cheap vinyl loveseat when they were young that ended up with a bunch of scratches from zoomies. They’re calmer now and really only jump off the couch when trying to get onto the adjacent cat tree (which I could always move). But if cloth upholstery is a no go since they will 100% rip that poo poo, that leaves... suede like my current couch? Or are you just warning that if I get something leather/vinyl, I just need to recognize that punctures are something I’ll just have to deal with? Or are you also saying that I should consider cloth knowing I'll need to reupholster periodically?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 10, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m the Rubik’s Cube night stand.

I don’t trust anyone who has Iron Man masks and Captain America shield on the same shelf. Pick a side!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So the white squared off couch I posted earlier with the power outlets on the side, yes that's weird and it's too small and it's vinyl, but it's the exact design I want.

Then I came across this which is sold at a few retailers. The chaise + ottoman layout gives me the exact lounging surface I want, 2 of each seat cushion style means I can rotate them out. BUT it's bonded leather, I don't like the tufted cushions, it's not squared off enough (especially the back cushions) and generally just looks cheap.

Going through the inventories of a dozen retailers, I don't think that couch exists. I kinda want to give up and go full home theater with this from a local chain called Bob's Discount that sells unbranded furniture. Triple power recliner, real leather, sinuous springs, and a memory foam layer on the cushions. Even has power headrests:

I feel defeated. Furniture shopping is the worst.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 10, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

To be clear, the triple power reclining dad couch was (mostly) a joke. The other one represented a feature set that seemed nice but isn't available with an actual quality couch. They both represent my general disillusion with the process at this point.

In general, many squared off 3 cushion couches have rounded or tufted cushions, neither of which I want. I'm going to have to give in on one or the other, and it seems roundedness yields the most options. Even the couch below, it has tufted (but reversible) back cushions.

Their model without the sloped arm looks really close. One thing a lot of squared couches get wrong are the proportions. The arms, seat cushion thickness, the support layer, and the back cushions are all perfectly balanced. I don't like the legs but they look easily replaceable.

I would even pull the trigger BUT the reviews on Reddit are not positive. Which sucks, that Burrow looks great to my eye.

PRADA SLUT posted:

This comes in a 96" as well, if you're deathly afraid of the center cushion thing. It's linen and has four colors, but it looks otherwise decent. You'll have to figure out the catte situation. Still light in color, but not straight white, which gives you more flexibility with surrounding color.
The 3 cushion thing is mostly so I don’t sit in the center crack but also so I can rotate the cushions. Given my extended viewing/listening sessions, this seems like a necessity so the cushions don’t flatten after just a couple years.

Fabric upholstery gives me so many more options, but I'd have to buy it knowing my cats would tear up the edges. Moving off pure white also opens up options, and to be honest a very light grey or sandstone looks nicer than pure white in fabric, but I worry about it looking a bit generic. I really like the look of white leather but it sounds like that's just not in the cards at this time. The leather version of the Burrow couch doesn't even come in white.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 11, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Whenever I'm browsing Facebook or Instagram now I'm like yes, please give me ads for funiture brands, I need more options!

This is from Inside Weather. There's only 3 "reviews" on Reddit: one cancelled their order after it took too long to make, one didn't like the couch, and another likes their couch. Not a lot to go on.

The couches are made to order and customizable from the arms to the cushion confirguation. Strangely no round metal legs. Both of these are "pet friendly" fabrics which apparently means they have tighter weaves.

https://insideweather.com/products/sf14bl1113101016-cross-weave-milo-sofa-in-cloud

This color/texture looks better in their "swatch" but looks weird in the render. I guess I should trust the swatch? I don't think the wider arms are as well proportioned, but maybe they're wide enough for my cats to loaf on? That would be cool. :3: (They'll probably just loaf on the seat cushions and I should stick with the narrower arms)

Seems like the design is good: foam cushions are wrapped in down and the covers are removable for cleaning, and the frame is made with kiln dried wood. 14 day returns with 15% restocking fee and free shipping, 365 day returns with 25% restocking fee without free shipping.

Somehow I hadn't thought about Haverty's but hey, it's a white(ish) top-grain leather couch for $1300! Product reviews look good too.

https://www.havertys.com/furniture/sofas/jupiter-sofa

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 12, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

nielsm posted:

I went with Kivik some years back, it's quite good IMHO. Note that the arm rests on Kivik are very low, and extra wide. They function as (upholstered) side tables on their own. Also note that the regular 3-seat-wide without chaise has just two cushions each three half-seats wide.
The closest non-chaise is the Vimle which has a similar construction but 2 layers of foam in the seat cushions compared to 4, which probably makes it less firm (don't want) and less durable (maybe?).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

falz posted:

Just want to say that while these all look nice, they all look extremely uncomfortable if you wanted to say, lay down and put your head on the armrest. Is one supposed to BYO pillow, or does that ruin the aesthetic?
Yeah a throw pillow would be used for napping. Unless...

Sloth Life posted:

No lie, the joke "lol dad recliner" sofa posted looks the most comfortable of all. Padded everything for the win!
Yes, I have one.
I kinda want to get it. It would be SOO comfortable.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Would look great with a nice pair of "comfort fit" stonewash Wranglers and some Nike Monarchs
Slim fit joggers and Ultraboosts good sir.

there wolf posted:

Is it something you'd seriously consider? Because you don't seem especially passionate about the modernist couches you've been looking at, so are you really looking at what you want or just what you like that falls within the parameters of what's popular and stylish now?

If you're mostly using the space as a theater then prioritizing comfort is pretty sensible. Maybe you should get the dad couch, and then get an MCM media consul for the modernist element.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go with a modernist couch, but everything I've found has at least 1 big flaw. For example, this couch in either this light grey or white leather with round matte stainless steel feet would be perfect (the actual couch has bad reviews on Reddit):

This one I posted this morning, I'm meh on the color and I won't know if Inside Weather even makes a color I like until I get swatches, but everything else is good including the $1048 price. One potential hiccup is they use an "arciform slat suspension", not springs, but if that means it's firmer and sags less over time then I'd actually prefer it. My memory foam mattress is on a slatted bed and I like it.

The dad couch is $1650 and would definitely prevent the butt chaffing I experienced during last night's extended media consumption/nap session, but it's more of a safety net in case I can't find a modernist that has decent reviews and all my design elements.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 12, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

actionjackson posted:

What is your budget? What width do you want? Do you prefer a sectional, recliner or sofa?
$1000 would be great, $1500 is fine, $2000 is a stretch but doable if everything about the couch is just right.

85-90" is the sweet spot. I can't go under 78" because I'm 6'1, and I could reasonably go up to 100".

Ideal would be sofa + ottoman so I can lounge facing forward but move it out of the way to look pretty. Sectional is fine but I’d still want an ottoman so I don’t have to lounge off-center, in which case it’s just needlessly more expensive plus the coffee table would be off-center. A recliner is okay but only if the middle seat reclines for lounging. Whenever I’m watching TV, I immediately put my feet up which right now means the coffee table.

2 cushions are a no go due to off-center listening/watching, as are T cushions since I can't rotate the middle cushion.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 13, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

One thing I’ve noticed is that most media consoles lack large enough compartments for a receiver or video game console, most of them close up completely so you can’t use a remote, and almost none allow for ventilation through the rear. :psyduck:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Nothing uses IR anymore so having line of sight doesn’t matter.
Your FireTV stick and consoles may not, but your cable box, A/V receiver, and Blu-ray player definitely does.

Small compartments and lack of ventilation are a problem too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

So what's your insufficient budget and weirdly precise requirements for this item of furniture?
While I love the look of many MCM consoles in the $500 range, my electronics are worth far more so airflow and shelf space take priority. At the very least, I'll need space for a receiver, Xbox, HTPC, and a center speaker. These look interesting:

This would pick up some of the grey from my couch but it looks a bit ugly in this photo:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 14, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

actionjackson posted:

For the dude trying to fix his man cave, one of the sofas prada mentioned is in their outlet right now

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blu-Dot-Bank-80-Sofa-Sanford-Linen/303534061741?hash=item46ac0a38ad:g:~3gAAOSwQEtejMYf

other thoughts: trying to figure out the justifications for spending anything more than Ikea for a side table. It holds two light items and is mostly not even visible. Things that hold stuff I find much harder to justify spending a lot on than things I actually sit on / sleep on.
Thanks for the heads up, but this all looks to be used and returned items. Even so, the back cushion on most of the models is only 12” tall. That’s less support than a park bench.

Some of the non-sofa items look interesting though.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 16, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sofa swatches came in. I ordered every grey they had and included a velvet (5) and vegan leather (15) samples just for reference.

Feedback from a female friend who's more conservative in her aesthetic likes 3, 9, 12. Male friend who has a similar aesthetic likes 3, 4, 12.

3 (100% polyester, solvent/water cleanable, 20k rub count): I think this is a really interesting idea, especially in the small quantity on the swatch, but it seems like a lot in the full render.

4 (20% linen/80% polyester, solvent cleanable, 15k rub count): I worry about the durability of the linen. Looks nice in the render but there's something about the swatch that gives me pause.

9 (55% polyester/45% acrylic, solver/water cleanable, 50k rub count, pet friendly): I worry this is too tan. I like the render, but the reminds me a bit of straw baskets which I associate with scratchiness. However, it's the most durable and the only pet friendly option of these four.

12 (100% polyester, solvent/water cleanable, 20k rub count): Incidentally, this is the render I've been sharing. I like the close-up texture, but I worry it looks plain in the render.

I personally rank them 12, 9, 3, then 4. I worry about 12 looking flat from afar but it obviously has coloration up close. 9 definitely gets points for durability but it reminds me of oatmeal. I want to be brave and go with 3 but worry it might be a bit much. 4 is just... it's fine but it's the least durable of all Inside Weather's fabrics.

For reference the other side of the living room will look like this, and I'm thinking of a dark blue or green rug:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 22, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

actionjackson posted:

Before I even looked at the ratings 12 was also my favorite. You have good taste ;) I think you'll be very happy with that one, and the walnut legs look great too.

Is there a way to not have the tv blocking the window?
Short answer is no other than flipping the sofa/TV positions, but I don't think it makes a difference. The window faces a bunch of trees so it doesn't contribute to lighting in the room. The drapes (which I'll replace at the end) control the lighting. These photos are exposure locked on the TV window and it's 100% overcast right now:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 22, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

Great that you kept all the empty cardboard boxes, they really tie the room together.
It's a cave for my girl cat because only my boy cat uses the tree. :3:

Freaquency posted:

All of the grays look fine for the most part, but don’t be afraid of looking at something in the blue-gray or gray-green range. They look a lot more neutral in practice than you might expect.
This is #8. The swatch is alright but probably too dark since my understanding is dark sofas are a visual black hole. It looked way better in the render imo:

This is #13. It's light grey with a tint of blue and also pet friendly. I kinda like it but I don't think the hue is quite right, and the coloring is very flat.

These are their other blueish-greenish options:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

actionjackson posted:

13 is my favorite swatch after 12. I don't think it will be flat, I think it will be nice and subtle which is what you want. Once you have the sofa, you can get other things to go with it that are more vibrant, for example various lights and plants.
This is with lighting from the sun peeking through the clouds. It's much more realistic (I tried an outside photo yesterday when it was sunny it didn't come out right). In particular, you can better see the hints of blue in 13, but hopefully you can also see what I mean by the hue being not quite right.

It seems 12 is the consensus favorite including for me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Freaquency posted:

From which site did you get these swatches?

actionjackson posted:

Yes I see why. Gray is the safest anyway as it matches any wall. What site is the sofa from?
These are from https://insideweather.com. They're not running a Memoral Day sale like everyone else so I think they may be a higher level of quality than their lower price would indicate. I'm considering the Milo sofa which is $1048 with upholstery option 12; the matching ottoman (not live on their site yet) is another $248.

I'm just noticing they list the colors in their promo photos. This is 12, it does have a bit of texture:

This is supposedly 4 which would really interest me, but I think it's a mistake because...

This is also 4. This also interests me, but it's still not like my swatch.

I propped up 12 and 4, facing the sunlight, and examined them from 15 feet. 4 definitely looks like a white and black melange charcoal, and I audibly said "12 looks good."

I think we've done it.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 22, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This TV stand that I've basically settled on, something about it bothered me with the doors removed and it felt a little plain. That's because it reminded me of this from a week ago:

Josh Lyman posted:

This would pick up some of the grey from my couch but it looks a bit ugly in this photo:

BUT then I had an epiphany. My actual problem with those stands is that they're not much wider than the TV. The sexiest TV setups I've seen on Houzz have really long floating consoles. I can't do floating, but I can do really long, kinda like this. It would also save me from using stools as speaker stands:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 23, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gnossiennes posted:

if it's not RTA, measure everything including the entrance you'll bring it into.
It’s 3 coffee tables/tv stands side by side. :ssh:

I think that faux-granite TV stand would actually look really cool in a 10 foot long setup but I don’t think I can remove the middle shelf. The Ikea one I photoshopped into my living, I know I can remove the middle shelf.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This discussion reminded me that I should probably upgrade my plastic laundry basket to a more elegant hamper. I missed out on buying this bamboo hamper for $25 because I thought it would be too small. If I would've just measured my current basket, I would've realized they're volumetrically equivalent. :negative:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 24, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

actionjackson posted:

Josh, have you considered a media console and then getting soundbar? For example many of the BDI consoles have gaps to let remote frequencies in, and a soundbar shelf.

https://www.bdiusa.com/products/corridor-8177-modern-tv-stand-media-storage-drawer

These aren't cheap, but are incredibly high quality, and given how much you use the tv would be worth considering at some point.
That design caught my eye when I first started looking at TV stands but they are very much not cheap. :eek: I think, for my current budget, it's enough to simulate a super long floating console for $280 (2x Ikea grated TV stand) and maybe even cheaper depending on what I can find.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I randomly have these vases. I thought it would be interesting to use them as light sources on either side of my TV on a super long media console by putting a light bulb or some cheap light fixture from IKEA inside which I could hook up to my spare Alexa-enabled smart outlet. The problem is I wonder if the lighting effect only makes sense with something like an LED candle, but that would require me to constantly replace the battery.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 24, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

KillHour posted:

Those look pretty opaque. Are you trying to project a circle onto your ceiling? Because that's probably all they'll do.

Hold one upside down over a lamp and see if you can see the light through it.

To answer your question, as long as they aren't tempered, it should be POSSIBLE to drill a small hole in them with the right tools. https://www.familyhandyman.com/tools/drills/how-to-drill-a-hole-in-glass/
I’m not looking to use them as a source of bright light, just maybe interesting mood/ambient lighting.

Really, I’m just trying to figure out some interesting way to use them and right now it looks like I’m gonna have tons of space on either side of my TV.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

KillHour posted:

This is gonna sound weird but maybe put flowers in them.
Buy real flowers every few days? That's aggressive.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

With Memorial Day sales nearly over, I think I've hit a snag in my TV stand search. Quick recap:

I'm okay with the Ikea Fjallbo but I don't love it. My main complaint is that even at 59", it's not much wider than the TV so the proportions are off.

I think this looks really cool. If I had to pinpoint what I like about it, it's the illusion of one long continuous surface. I think the pseudo-floating console effect from the light wood contrasting with the black metal also contributes but I'm not sure--in other words, would this work with dark wood?. He's using 3x glass coffee tables with pieces of wood on top which is too many components and too expensive.

It seems like I should be able to replicate the feel using normal coffee tables, but this doesn't have the same vibe. I know my terrible MSPaint skills don't help, but what am I missing? Is it because his wood is thicker? Is it because his tables have more legs? Or is this actually quite similar and his just looks better because of lighting?

I think a (faux) stone top could look really cool, and I wouldn't even need a shelf since I'd have so much table space on top:

I could also use benches or tables:

For the full floating effect, I could get 2x media consoles with the caveat that I'd also have to get a 6" riser for the TV since my center speaker would go up top, but this route is likely too expensive:

Is this multi-table idea stupid? I could just get the Ikea TV stand and be done with it but I know it's not really what I want.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 25, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gnossiennes posted:

the floating effect is due to the more squat proportions of the tables in the long-table shot. it darkens the underside and it's contents, so that the focus is off of that area, and coinkydinkily make it look floaty.

and yeah, lightning too, since it looks kinda spotlight-y with harsher darker shadows, and it looks like it's pushed completely up against a wall (which adds to it being darker underneath).
Using his DVD cases on the left as a reference, his tables are about 15" high and 42" long. 3x 42" is actually my ideal since it fills my 128" wall space, but 15" is shorter than most tables and too low for a TV.

The aspect ratio on my MSPaint is slightly off at 1.8 vs 1.96 in reality, but still, I would think the effect would be similar with most coffee tables. The faux stone top in particular is 42" x 18".

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 25, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

falz posted:

I didn't see your original post, but since you mentioned floating I presume you eyeballed Ikea Besta?
Yeah. I can't do actual floating, and the freestanding Besta units aren't the right size.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've become disillusioned with the table/bench options out there so I'm tempted to build my own Ikea tables. This white top has a nice quartz-ish look and the surface would be 25" high which is just fine.

The solid pine is $70 more per table so less appealing:

The main drawback I see (hopefully you guys can point out ones I don't see) is cable management but I can hide them with routing.

e: I figured out the center speaker situation so any surface would be fine which means I could do 2x this Hemnes. It's only 18.5" deep which is less than I'd like but doable. The light brown top contrasted with the black-brown body should give a nice floating console effect. I'd have shelves for storage, the body of the console would block cable clutter, and the light wood wouldn't clash with my coffee table, so even though it's $160 more for 2 stands, I could keep using my current coffee table.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 26, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gnossiennes posted:

is there a stretcher/support on those legs? or are you planning on just having them pop on out from the top?
No, the table is designed for just those legs. But I think I may just get 2x Hemnes. The light brown top contrasted with the black-brown body should give a nice floating console effect. I'd have shelves for storage, the body of the console would block cable clutter, and the light wood wouldn't clash with my coffee table, so even though it's $160 more for 2 stands, I could keep using my current coffee table.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

actionjackson posted:

this is from the last two days of getting rid of stuff. there is ALWAYS more, no matter how little you seem to have. and yes that london poster is from ikea gently caress you all.

i just had a guy text me about the calculator, and tell me he was "sending a six digit code from google" to "make sure I was real" before he called me on the phone (?) lol

For $20, I would've held onto the TI-89 for nostalgia's sake... he said as he sold his TI-89 and "upgraded" to a TI-89 Titanium a year after grad school. :thunk:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Imo it's dumb as hell to have kitchen cabinets that don't extend to the ceiling. Why do people leave that gap? To store 30 years of dust and grease and fake plants? To me it's bonkers that that's normal.
My current place has them and I hate them so much specifically for these reasons.

Youth Decay posted:

It's a cat shelf.
This was the first day I moved in. Fortunately they don't hide there anymore.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does the look work? :ohdear:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Have you considered changing those blinds out for white ones? You'll basically never be opening them, so it might make sense to get ones that blend into the wall a little better.
Much better, thanks for the suggestion

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 28, 2020