Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
For blog recommendations, I enjoy best little apartment on tumblr. It leans a little more boho and the focus on apartments means you can get a lot of ideas about what to do with small spaces and interiors you have limited ability to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
The obvious answer is a bead curtain.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Either commit to your caste house or don't.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

Ah, yeah. Those aren't nice. I have a builtin cabinet with about 4" between it and the ceiling, but trimming it out isn't really an option (no upper trim in my place), and I didn't want the top board sitting against the ceiling. I think it looks fine, but...

Do what the rest of us do and use the space to hoard dishware and appliances you never use.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Sledgehammer with extreme prejudice you say?

Did they go in with "overpriced hibachi" as the style brief, or did it just come up organically?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

http://www.fairstone.com/property/or/portland/97231/-/14125-nw-germantown-rd/57d1fa7e30e08a73a0000144/

wait for it...

wait for it...

It was built in 2014, listed for sale in 2015 (hence the date on the MLS photos) at $7.175 million and 2 years later they're still trying to sell the monstrosity.

This looks like what someone would do if they wanted their house to look like a castle, but their only exposure to castles was through amusement parks.

Seriously, it's like the Magic Kingdom but without out all the attention to detail to balance out all the cheap materials.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

My parents used to have wall to ceiling book cases and shelves in every of the house, even parts of the kitchen were not immune. Everything had to come down when the electrics had to be redone and 10,000 books were given to charity because the attic was full.

It wasn't as nice looking as you would think it might be, Library rooms only look good when you have leather bound or matching sets, my parents house looked like an actual library.

You say "looks like a library" like that's a bad thing...

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

There is a thin line between having a nice collection of books and weird hoarding I fear :) if you have run out of wall and still have to double shelve then it's time to start taking boxes of books to a charity shop (goodwill/thrift store) so others can enjoy them.

Ok, that I can give you. I enjoy a room full of neat shelves, even if they're mostly old paper backs. But when the book collection doubles as insulation it's gone to far.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.redfin.com/MD/Ijamsville/11302-Windsor-Rd-21754/home/15188903

This one has a spooky face in the rear window, so it's out on account of haunting.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Butts posted:

My parents had a house built in the late 80's and I feel that that was near the end of an era.

A lot of that could be because a lot of the newer developments are almost literally McMansions, and ours still clocked in well under 3k sq. ft.

The floor plans these days, open or not, are way too 'airy' and don't feel cozy at all. Granite, while pretty, doesn't give off a homey vibe. It feels too harsh or industrial.

And, strangely enough, even though so much room is wasted on a kitchen, moving through them can be absurd because the island is not only longer than normal, but it curves or angles in another direction.

I've seen pictures of McMansions for sale that have been around for a while, have obviously have had families in them- but none seem to actually look lived in. It's as if they're overly spacious apartments and the occupants have a fear of the landlord charging them extra.

Lived-in mcmansions have a very rundown chain hotel vibe.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

How not to stage a house (featuring Lisa Frank posters hung with thumbtacks)

Those aren't Lisa Frank posters at all. :colbert:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

While the Downses encountered some problems with their home after moving in, the neighborhood had issues they did not expect: late-night noise from nearby bars, suspicious activity and push-back, some of it anti-“Fixer Upper,” from local residents when they complained to police.

“We have been intimidated and harassed,” Kelly Downs said. “People have complained about their taxes going up because we moved here. Store owners have complained about taxes.”

She recently polled neighbors for interest in creating a Neighborhood Watch group and found that, while half expressed an interest, others wanted no change in the status quo.

After the wreck Saturday she said she wonders why Magnolia Realty showed them a property in such an area and why the city hasn’t done more to reply to their complaints.

Somehow I think neighbors being annoyed at your gentrifying isn't all that related to a drunk running his car into your house one night. Also how do you not notice the bar across the street when you're house hunting?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Haifisch posted:

Maybe they just saw they were in walking distance of a good taqueria and stopped asking questions.

I'd love to live within walking distance of a bar (that is not a sad Applebees) but have been a bar patron before, I kind of know that late night noise and drunks being around would be an occurrence.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

And this I'm pretty sure was built by someone with an actual loving-on-counters fetish.

If the marble is real, it might be for someone super into pasta or pastry making. What are the chances of that really?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

CmdrRiker posted:

So speaking of cleaning grout, I was reading one of the old DIY remodel threads and everyone was talking about how glorious it is to clean with baking soda and vinegar as a solution. Baking soda and vinegar is not an effective cleaner and it does not clean out pipes.

The chemical reaction isn't strong enough to dislodge grim, and if you are putting vinegar and baking soda together in a squirt bottle, then you are essentially using them to neutralize each other. Why is this such a popular misconception?

It's a perfectly effective cleaner for regular scrubbing. Maybe don't use people who apparently employ it the wrong way as a guide for how and when to use it?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

CmdrRiker posted:

Each component in its own right is a good cleaner. Vinegar is a good disinfectant and deodorizer. Baking soda is a good deodorizer and abrasive.

Together they neutralize each other and create sodium acetate. Sodium acetate is essentially salt water that is slightly acidic. If you're interested in cleaning with an acidic solution, then just use vinegar.

But what if I want an abrasive, acidic solution? And my Bartender's Best Friend is across the room?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I think there will always be a chunk of the population who just likes MCM furniture, just like there will always be a chunk that likes Rococo or Art Deco. But I feel like I've seen little to non MCM in magazines and stuff, so it's probably as out as it ever really gets.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

CmdrRiker posted:

Oh, well I guess you win.

Ah yes. There definitely is a spectrum for industrial pieces. This one doesn't even seem practical, though.

I'm trying to decide if I would have more of less respect for fake-pallets made from finished boards so you could get the look without the splinters.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Haifisch posted:

Just taking a dump while watching laundry spin. Don't mind me.

Is this not a common thing in other parts of the country/world?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

hailthefish posted:

While definitely a McMansion, it's one of the least bad ones I've seen.

Probably because even a pastiche of mid-century styles is both more cohesive and aligned with current trends than your usual Tuscan-villa cum French chateau cum Canadian hunting lodge poo poo you usually get with mcmansions.

cheese eats mouse posted:

Yes!!! There were still many styles of that time period. I stick with Danish since that's my love. Also I know it's hard with vintage furniture but keeping in the same wood color family as well! Don't mix a blonde Heywood Wakefield dining set with some dark walnut sidebar. poo poo just looks tacked on. Or anything atomic vs brutalist.

While this is all very good to know from history of design perspective, it also seems a bit dumb in the "what people actually put in their houses" perspective. I don't believe people wouldn't have mixed those styles even back in the day as they bought new pieces and sets, and put them in with the old. If the idea is that knowing the difference between this stuff can help you style-mix more pleasingly, that's one thing. But it's silly to say that you can't mix this stuff at all and not have it look ridiculous because design-nerd-pedentry.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

Okay, are you ready to see the ugliest kitchen ever?
Only thing worse than a tiny useless sink is a tiny useless sink that is nowhere near any food prep areas.

That's probably for a wetbar you plebeian. But seriously, that looks like my grandparent's house which now makes me wonder if there's some kind of set style of gated-community-with-a-golf-course home that was big in the 80's.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Roomba. Not a Roomba or the Roomba. Just Roomba.

What have I told you about anthropomorphizing appliances heralding the robot apocalypse?

Maybe the secret to forestalling the robot apocalypse is actually in treating our robo companions well so when they inevitably gain sentience and rise up, it's in fellowship and affection, instead of murderous rage. :roboluv:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

It looks useful to me. Just because you don't load up your counters and cupboards full of poo poo doesn't mean you can't cook there.

That's about what my kitchen looks like and I have no problems cooking anything. All you need is like three kitchen knives, four pots and pans, a set of dinnerware, and a crock full of miscellaneous utensils. That's not even one entire cupboard, you still have room for a blender, coffee grinder, or whatever.

You could easily fit all that (and then some) inside the island. Assuming you have a pantry, that's all you need.

When you have to assume there's more storage somewhere else then your argument has failed.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

I have some questions for you then.

I'm going to be putting together a kitchen from scratch in the next few months and my instinct is to go the same route as you with this stuff, but there's a huge backlash against open storage in this thread and I don't have enough direct experience to know how much of it is valid and how much is "ew sounds gross".

Do you find the things you have stored openly get filfy from all the cooking expectorate and general dustiness, and is it a problem? Are there any things in particular you make sure go in cupboards? Any other thoughts?

Edit: I should mention the backlash was before all this minimalism talk and mostly focused on grease and dust, I'm not downplaying the problems of high volume kid ownership

Speaking as someone who just spent a day prepping the kitchen for painting, dust and grease will build up over time on anything that's not getting used and cleaned fairly regularly. Don't put the open storage near the stove, and don't leave anything out that isn't going to be used at least every two weeks or so. Also make sure to wipe the shelves down on a regular basis or they get scuzzy.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

Everyone hand-washes dishes and has a drying rack on the counter here. I can hide my spices in a drawer but the soap and sponge need to be in/around the sink.

What a sad place to live.

PRADA SLUT posted:

You can stop the kitchen mess being exposed if you... clean it up.

I have an open kitchen with a bar I both prep and eat on, and cleaning as you go isn't that bad. I just put the prep bowls in the sink as I finish with them and wipe down the cutting board and counter really quick before plating. There might be a pot on the stove still but it's not a big deal.

Bootstrap yourself into domestic bliss.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Because your fake house facade that you have inside your real house needs windows, otherwise it just looks silly.

I'm seriously wondering if it's some kind of elaborate playroom setup for children because what else would justify that design choice?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

I call this aesthetic "Grandma Gothic"

The reason we're drowning in white/grey minimalism today.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

Give me that over overstuffed couches any day.

gently caress off, no one cares. You are the worst advocate for your particular niche style and I hope someone breaks into your white cube of a residence just to fill it with tacky rococo reproductions.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

SoundMonkey posted:

i THINK i'm the empty light sockets but there's just so many choices

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr0Lng3mhL4

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

A lot of the house gives me a kind of Olive Garden feel, but this pic especially.

I think they just did a palate swap on all that Tuscan villa poo poo from the 2000's and are now calling it French Countryside.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

:confused: : "I just can't decide what we should do with our kitchen backsplash. Laminate to match the counter tops? Stone? Tile? What?"
:haw: : "I know! Let's go down to Lowe's/Home Depot and get some vinyl stick-down floor tile!"
:woop: : "I love it! Honey, you're brilliant!"

:suicide:

For when you want your kitchen to look like a 90's bank lobby.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

Yes, these folks put matching tile backsplash in their (working) double-sided fireplace.

Needs more nicknacks for full quirky b&b effect. Also is that kind of tile even safe to have in a fireplace? Assuming someone actually uses it for a fire ever.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

I actually really like that second kitchen, I went for 10 years in a house with that exact counter space but less storage, and no dishwasher and adapted fine. I'd use the table for rolling things out on and then sit in the window seat with a book waiting for timers to be done.

E: reminder that British houses are f'ing tiny compared with America's.

I adapted to having the fridge in a whole other room; doesn't mean it's my ideal. I think that kitchen is fine if you're doing relatively simple meals for a small number of people. I wouldn't want to do a holiday dinner for eight out of it, especially if that table is the only option for dining.

Subjunctive posted:

There's a lot to choose from, but I'm gonna call out the bunk bed.

I can't think of a better place to prop my gigantic mirror than in this narrow passageway of rough stones. Enjoy constantly hitting the edge of the counter as you pass by!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

:lol: try dinner for 6 people every day, 8/9 on the weekends in a kitchen smaller than that, and we do a thanksgiving lunch every Sunday here. What you do is open all the cupboards when you cook and use the surface for food prep and food prep alone. Not saying I wouldn't buy a McMansion in a heartbeat if I had the money, but that's not a small kitchen by UK standards. :)

In our house you would have two people at each end of that table and elbow wars in the middle. being re

:rolleyes: You win. You are the toughest of tough-guy kitchen space maximizers who can feed a whole army out of a meager camp pot if you had a sufficient stump for prep work.

I'll continue to indulge in the luxury of a counter to set things on so I don't have to cram 12 dishes onto a table with plates.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

We call it a Sunday roast :)

I'm not humble bragging, that's not a small kitchen to me, that's a normal kitchen, and it really does highlight the difference between US and U.K. Houses. We have an average of 812 square feet in comparison to America's 2,400 square feet.
That old house in dollars was worth about £110,000/$142,000 and was in an area in the north where houses are cheap; two double bedrooms, one box room, kitchen diner, living room, one bathroom.
We don't not have islands out of choice, we don't have islands because when you have a lot of people packed in a smaller kitchen you need the open space for people to move around in, also it would most likely get in the way when emptying a front loading washing machine.

If you're point was that's what passes for normal in England, then you could have just said that instead of going on about how you'd implement the space and how many people you can shove around a table. Christ, it's not even a small kitchen by US standards. We don't all live in Mcmansions. My kitchen would probably be the size of that second one if you put it all on one wall, including the fridge.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

cheese eats mouse posted:

I am pretty much done with buying furniture. I get to pick this up next weekend.

:swoon: I now have so much storage!

Does the creepy doll come with, or do you have to wait for a moonless night when the wind shakes the trees until branches groan with the voices of lost souls for it to appear before you?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

HGTV Must Die
Is there like a company that rents out Etsy bullshit for realtors to use? Or do they each have their own stashes of this stuff for staging different houses?

Realtors who do staging like that have their own stashes, and you can get all of this stuff mass-produced from any place that specializes in interior decoration. But I'm actually wondering if it isn't a flip because the floors, built-ins, and kitchen are all pretty on-trend, as well.

I'm going to be the odd man out and say that I don't hate it. I think I just find the faux-country style that's popular now less obnoxious than the feature wall, silhouettes, and sheers that would have covered this house a few years ago.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Southern Heel posted:

Speaking seriously for a second, I've just bought a home and it's got a very rural eastern-european look to it (wood floors, wood trim, pastel walls, white ceilings). It looks nice and the warmth drew my wife and I to the property - but we're aware that it does need some modernisation.

I'm relatively handy when it comes to actual work, but facing the design work for a whole house is really starting to make me feel overwhelmed. Local Interior designers are looking to charge more than >£100/hr and estimating 5-10 hours work - which seems absolutely insane. I have full CAD drawings, architectural plans for the property, high res photographs, budgets and places to buy from - I just need to gain or hire-out the know how to help pull it all together to a broad set of materials, colours and layouts.

Failing that, is this thread a good place to ask for advice or seek out someone to contract remotely (possibly an amateur or student) for a bit less eye-watering fee?

Interior decoration is a luxury product in a private home. Either accept that and pay all the money or do it yourself like the rest of us plebs.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like a solidly functional work space, though I would recommend finding a way to hang your rulers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Southern Heel posted:

Any initial impressions would be greatly recieved. I'm working up my own ideas as we speak, to be posted once I have them organised coherently - broadly I'm thinking to repaint into some cool colours to counter all the brown wood. The kitchen I'm really unsure about where to start - what is there is very high quality, but just so OTT woody I'm not sure how to fix it.

I'd think the extra light you'd get from knocking out the arches in the kitchen would be worth it. Go American and put in an island/breakfast bar, or just leave the cabinets since you don't need to move them to make room for a table. Also my folks bought a house with a bunch of yellow pine for the floors and trim; some rugs and new paint that contrasted with the wood more toned it all down a lot.