Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Subjunctive posted:

That's pretty similar to my house, huh.

*braces self*

Both of those look awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Liquid Communism posted:

So if anything ever goes wrong structurally in any of those three houses, you're going to have to tear the wall down from the inside?

Jesus. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near those strictly from a fire code standpoint. If one goes up the whole block will.

I'd love to see the expression on your face when you find out about townhouses and terraced houses. ;)

e,f,b

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Sep 13, 2017

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Just buy the real ones on sale instead of cheap lovely knockoffs, Herman Miller runs sales at least annually. They look better and will last longer than you will.

If the real pieces are out of your price range, I’d get a set of chairs that were designed at the price point you’re looking for instead of buying cheaply-made knockoffs that will need replacing. There’s plenty of molded plastic chairs for less than $100 a chair that are designed at that price point and made well for what you pay.

This, a lot. Knockoffs will only disappoint you, sorry. Also, it turns out my mother was right when she told me never to buy a chair you haven’t tried sitting in.

Edit - also, what those two said ^^. Unless you’re regularly having people stay there, why give up all that space when you could actually be using and enjoying it?

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 21, 2018

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Flame is the original, iconic color of Le Creuset. They do have trendy colors lately, but orange isn't one of them, it's been their signature since their founding in the 1920s.

Yup. All our Le Crueset stuff is flame, and we’ve had it since 2006. It’s hardly new.

I keep trying to persuade my wife to let me get one that’s a different color but she’s not convinced.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Haifisch posted:

The decor is awful, but this line in the description is really loving omnious:

What happens to it on not-sunny days? :tinfoil:

The vampire who still lives there eats visitors.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

How do we feel about kitchen counters? Wood? Stone? Steel? Mix?

Steel, or surplus laboratory bench top.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Usually buying fake items signifies a purchase for showing off some theoretical status, rather than an appreciation for the product. Which is extra weird for furniture since really nobody sees it but you or the people you invite over. Just who are you really trying to impress?

there wolf posted:

As others have said, it's kind of a checklist thing for a certain king of person, like shiplap is to suburban moms. Prada is the only one who cares if they're fake, though.

No, Prada’s not the only one.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

French Canadian posted:

Thanks for the wirecutter article. That Benchmade looks bangin' but for the width we want (7-8ft) it's above $2k. However, the runner up on the wirecutter list is $1000 and my wife is way into it...

https://www.article.com/product/1479/ceni-pyrite-gray-sofa

If it’s at all possible you should still go find a shop that has one on display you can try sitting on. Buying a sofa you’ve never sat on is a terrible idea.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Read the replies to this tweet if you want to get really depressed: https://twitter.com/kathasty/status/1073008400160694273

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
If that place was closer to Road America I’d buy it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
The best thing about that museum is that almost all of the books and artifacts on displays are replicas.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

vonnegutt posted:

Usually I agree with you but unfortunately I can't implement any of your options. I'm not putting new holes in my 100 y.o. plaster-and-lath walls, there are literally no closets anywhere in the house, and my bathroom has tile floors and a pedestal sink. No drawers.

Looking into what people of the 1910s did to their homes, they just had a lot less stuff and they had it out in the open or in free-standing wardrobes, chests, etc. So that's what we're doing. There's no clutter, everything stays clean (because we clean it) but the idea that you can't have your toaster out because...what? You're a poor person who makes their own toast?

Moving from a house built in 1909 (or thereabouts) to a house built in 1962 was one of the best things we ever did. Sure, we might not have 10’ ceilings but there are closets and storage space and room sizes that make sense.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
ROFL. Not all of us want to look like we live on a set from The Borrowers. Or the Wombles. Is that so hard to understand?

And don’t kid yourself you’re not subscribing to an aesthetic, either.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

barbecue at the folks posted:

Armrests encourage slouching and bad posture, which, as you can see, is no longer a problem in the future!

Oh hell yes, someone please make this a Thing. :allears: I was promised sci-fi ceilings and ceiling-to-floor windows, actually living in the 21st century really sucks.

Living in an MCM house rocks. It’s like waking up in a space station every morning.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Our family are functionally “maximalists” but PRADA has a gorgeous space and it’s very tidy, why do you give him such a hard time?

Not every thing that LOOKS similar IS similar especially when you get into furniture and design.

Because internet nerds can’t appreciate that some people think design is important, or worth caring about.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I dunno, it's not my aesthetic but I have to give beatmaster props for A: following through with his vision and B: coming back here to show us despite the ridicule. Shine on you crazy diamond.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

Anyone have a ballpark $/sq ft for the electro tint windows?

We looked into it for our bedroom just out of interest and it would have been about $13k. And since this is a mid century house with single pane glass, the first time it got condensation on it it would short out.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Rotten Cookies posted:

That side table is super ostentatious and not really my thing.

I was pretty dang tipsy when I wrote that long ramble, and while I don't intend for all my work to be derivative of MCM, it's just an easy, ubiquitous thing to point to for me. In my head, metal is under represented, and I wanna change that. Metal furniture, and metal MCM has been done, no doubt, but I don't think it's finished, and part of what's in my head right now is to start there.

Also my drat coworker keeps making lovely stools and a "bar" (which is just a loving plate on two scrap pieces of i-beams.) and I want to bury him with better metal furniture.

Have you thought about MCM fuckbenches?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

Will you be reviewing fuckbenches in your next assignment? Enquiring minds want to know.

I’m just saying, sex furniture always seems to have a goth feel to it. Why not Eames or Saarinen that poo poo up a bit?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Lol wtf? We live in an MCM house with floor to ceiling windows and it’s utterly wonderful.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

nm posted:

Yeah, used high quality chairs is the way to go. If you have some patience, you'll get basically exactly the chair you want for just a fraction of retail.
That said, I got some relatively fancy chair (not a Herman Miller, I work for the loving government) new at work because my back sucks (chairs are cheaper than workers comp), and buying them new is really nice as I was literally able to customize a lot for the MSRP. This one had a few teething issues and they just sent a dude to my office to fix it next day. But if I'm paying, I buy used.

You work for the wrong bit of the government. When I was there they bought me a brand new Herman Miller Mirra that came to ~$1100.

Edit: some of you are being very confusing, because the Aeron is made by Herman Miller.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Where's a good place to buy these used? There's a ton of fakes out there.

Check Craigslist for people liquidating office furniture. I got a used Mirra for $400.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

effika posted:

Do any of these nice chairs come in petite sizes? Work got a box for my feet instead of getting a chair for my 5' self. The arm rests are still laughably awkward for me but at least the seat pan is comfy. I still have to choose between feet touching the box and back touching the back rest. This has taught me much better posture, at least. (except when I give up and sit criss-cross-apple-sauce)

The Mirra does.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

Every bed I've had in my life has had just slats with gaps for ventilation. Just regular ol' lengths of wood on a frame with a mattress on it.

I’d never even heard of a box spring until I moved to America.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Megabound posted:

Opening this up is pretty much catnip

First xenomorph butt plugs, now desks full of super lube. What kind of a dungeon are you running?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

The 6th grade diploma made me wonder if someone was living the dream: The Beverly Hillbillies.

Judging by the elephant heads everywhere and the bead curtain I'd suggest it was owned by someone who moved here from India.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

luxury handset posted:

what's the german word for "your life goal is to operate a bed and breakfast but you aren't yet an empty nester so you put a hostess stand by your front door"

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/877-Juni-Dr-Fayetteville-NC-28303/89605632_zpid

it is possible, but given some of the equipment in other rooms i think it is just the lair of a DJ

People from the subcontinent can be DJs too :confused:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

LOL, I got that pic from the crappy construction thread.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/drgitlin/status/1157057779343007744

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Covering so many of the walls with 'barn wood' was an odd choice. The working class using trends that fetishize poverty is wild.

This bedroom though:

At least they preserved the skirting, I guess?

Were they going for a Paul Smith vibe?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

beep-beep car is go posted:

So This Old House has a pay feature "This Old House Insider" which in addition to a bunch of other bullshit I don't care about gets you access to all of the episodes.

ALL OF THEM. I just binged the first season and it's amazingly charming and low rent. Plus, you get to see how much things have changed - no air tools, no cordless tools, very few electric tools. Oh dealing with lead and asbestos to! Lead? They actually mention it and talk about keeping kids away and wearing a mask and collecting chips and dust and disposing properly, in 1979! asbestos? Nah gently caress that stuff *pushes over asbestos covered cast iron boiler and goes at it with sledge hammers to break it up into pieces to haul out of the basement.*

Edit: why is this in the design thread? Because you can step through what was "up to date and modern" design from 1979 on. It's interesting to see what was "new and modern" back when each series was on the air.

It is pretty amazing. I got as far as the end of season five but I’m a bit burned out on early 80s fashion and solar houses for the moment.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

luxury handset posted:

many MCM homes were built for middle class white folks when the 20th century suburban boom was fully raging (white flight) so many of them are still reasonably priced, since they are basically just very stylish tract homes a dozen or more miles away from city centers

It’s quite possible to find mid century townhouses in cities. There’s an entire Mies van der Rohe neighborhood in Detroit. Where we are in SW DC there’s a lot of mid century because of urban renewal. We live in a townhouse that’s part of a development that was a project between HUD and Reynolds aluminum, back when aluminum was going to be the building material of the future. (Hint: that never happened)

They’re all moneypits because for several generations, Americans decided they didn’t want to maintain the infrastructure they depended upon.

But the light is amazing, and the rooms are the right size for human beings.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Enchanted Hat posted:

What about a giant Moooi horse lamp?

They have a few of these at the Concorde Room at Heathrow T5.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Yea I was going to say this is why it's there. Also they didnt glue the covers to the wall and they definitely didnt lacquer it in place. Generally people use polyurethane, like boat tables.

Also where is this odd fear of glass in the shower coming from?? Yall dont have glass shower doors where you're from?

Goons are scared of everything.

Everything.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Youth Decay posted:

I love the commitment to the theme in that angle house.

On a related note, I'm not sure how I feel about this take on wood siding.

It's like they tried the modern barnwood thing and ended up with a hardwood floor on the wall that gives the residents vertigo.

It’s like a much worse take on our living room:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I need to buy seven window treatments. I'm definitely on the low end of the budget scale on this one (at least for now), but I also don't want the $4 vinyl pull down shades that always break and look atrocious. The windows are 34x70 I think, if that matters.

1. What style is the best intersection of functionality, appearance, and price? I was looking at either roman shades or some sort of blind
2. What's the most economical way to buy them? Are there good used resources, etc? I looked on labor day but none of the sales seemed different than the normal thing they run all the time.

Go to Ikea, they have blinds in your price and size range that will not be ugly.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Motronic posted:

This is absolutely a known thing that's been going on forever with vehicles. The particularly egregious one now is the "oh, you want emergency braking/lane assist/other safety features? Yeah, that only comes on the highest trim models. If you can't afford leather, heated/cooled seats, automatic wipers and 20" alloy wheels you are too poor for safety."

Which is why IIHS won’t give you a top safety pick score now unless the safety tech is on every trim level in the model.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

mmm11105 posted:

My big furniture order finally came in, so I can finally show off my place - pretty happy with it so far, definitely need another lamp or two though and maybe a couple plants. Not pictured - very messy desk off in a corner...

I think it looks great, with the exception that some of those walls in the living room are too big for the framed pictures that are hanging there.

But then I am a maximalist when it comes to an arts. I’d probably put the two (or even all three) anime pieces vertically on the narrow wall next to that armchair and get some bigger pieces for the two larger walls. Do that before you get some houseplants.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

Right, but you understand that you're talking specifically about a house which is neither nordic nor in a country particularly birthed from nordic culture, in a different climate to nordic countries, and that in other countries there may be other more important efficiencies to consider like ease of construction or square footage.

What I'm saying is it's quite dismissive of the needs and wants of other cultures and climates to look at their centuries-old way of building and call it "decorative".

It's like looking at highly peaked roofs in snowy areas and saying "wow, that's so inefficient, wasting so much space on a decorative roof".

Also more to the point, it's the 21st century, most fireplaces are to some degree decorative, you might as well get up in arms about wallpaper.

Asking a goon not to sperg out is like asking water not to be wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

TofuDiva posted:

I think that might be a ruggedized Panasonic Toughbook. I have one kicking around somewhere. Clunky, but for the time, the only laptop that you could take into field conditions and have it survive.

The room is Wade Davis's writing studio, designed by Travis Price Architects. Travis Price does some awesome work.

No, it’s almost certainly an early PowerBook.