Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

There are also less ugly versions.

You should post some if they exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

After house shopping in the Philadelphia suburbs and looking at a lot of colonials with really dumb layouts I would have bought that remodeled one in a heartbeat. Now I bought a 1750s farmhouse with it's own odd layout and segmented additions, but it really had it's own unique charm and lot for the neighborhood.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We probably could have spent more time on the property before we bought but there's a good amount of space around the perimeter of the house (for the philly burbs atleast) that I wasn't too concerned.

Now if I could have lived there in the fall and had to be responsible for all the leaf pickup that needs to be done I might not have signed the papers.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have my TV mounted higher up on the wall because of tall chair molding in my living room:
https://www.amazon.com/Pull-down-TV-mount-fireplace/dp/B01IITPJT6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499717992&sr=8-3&keywords=tv+mount+fireplace

Everything's solid just now that we have it, it seems less awkward to just watch the tv flat against the wall versus the TV floating in space and I kind of regret not just getting a flush mount that angles down.

And used something like this to mount my center channel speaker to the bottom:
https://www.amazon.com/Pull-down-TV-mount-fireplace/dp/B01IITPJT6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499717992&sr=8-3&keywords=tv+mount+fireplace

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have two(!) fireplaces in my living room from the 1750s, because, well, heat.

However they are both on side walls and don't interfere with our layout/tv at all. We even use the one all the time!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I like the interior, wish the brick was just one wall.

I find the exterior to be pretty unattractive though.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah that's pretty inoffensive as far as brick goes, and white is just going to make it stand out more. Are those brick stains any good?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'd probably throw a little plant there. Nothing that extends past the boundary of the wall.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have seen hell...

https://boardandbrush.com/

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Don't forget that you can save a lot of space with a folding rack:
https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-r-3w-fold-back-wall-mount-rack

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Are concrete counter tops overly expensive? They've taken over my favorite option for when we redo our kitchen.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

One time I visited my mom to find this monstrosity texture in her bathroom. She goes, "Looks cool right? A guy at lowes told my I can just take joint compound and a putty knife and make a pattern!"

Maybe if I was a good son I'd rip all the walls out and put up new material but I'll let her have her fun since I don't live there.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We just got the last coat of poly put down on some 200 year old hardwoods. I can't believe we've owned this house for 6 years and lived with mediocre carpeting because we thought these floors would not be in good shape and didn't want to take on another project...

( They only had to replace like 3 boards. Easy to tell with the grain, but will be hidden by furniture. )

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They actually did a gymnasium finish which is supposed to be pretty durable. I️ have three dogs so it’s going to get marked up a bit but I️ think with all the texture the boards have it’ll help hide it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

When we were getting out floors done we thought we would go with a dark stain and when we saw how they looked with just poly on them we were really happy we went with the lighter choice.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well to start I'd probably move the TV (and I know that's not your's, but incase you were thinking of using that same setup) to above the fireplace and make that the defined sitting area, then I would let that space be what it is, a nice walkway with good room for traffic. What kind of seating do you have? Because Sectional could define that space nicely.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah the carpet goes flat at the bottom. Took my brain 10 seconds to process it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's definitely different when you're talking about suburbs of big urban centers, because I live about 10 miles outside of Philadelphia so I have a decent sized house, enough property for me (.6 acre) and there's plenty to do. Also there's a trolley half a mile from my house I can hop on and visit more a more livelier town just ~5 miles from me (or take a 45min ride to the city).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Freaquency posted:

It's kinda like buying a really nice whiskey or wine or something and saying that you're going to save it for a special occasion, only you never drink it because no occasion ever feels "special" enough to justify the price that was spent so it just goes to waste.

Now I’m triggered

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I'm really into the tile choices.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I could honestly live in a tiny house if my frame fit well in it and I could stand up straight in the kitchen/living space. So naturally I have a 3200 sq ft house.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have a $100 chair I got at Staples around 10 years ago that I still really enjoy, and has no wear. It's one of those puffy black leather ones, which is the problem (for my wife).

She wants me to find something that's less office-y looking now that we're redoing some of the furniture in my office. I have no idea what to get and I'm not spending over $150-$200.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

More importantly, a place you can get away from people and maybe even nap!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The white trim is just calling too much attention to itself IMO, would be curious to see it with a neutral/darker trim.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I can't get over a marble microwave. Like everything else is lovely decorating (the fake garage windows are on another level too), but A MARBLE MICROWAVE?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’d throw a cushion on it and probably end up using it all the time when I’m trying to avoid people.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My buddy's parents' house built in the late 90s/early 00s had a basement bar but it was more so that the basement was an on-suite and the kitchen just had a sink and fridge.

As an under-ager it was god drat sweet.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

bEatmstrJ posted:

But it turned out great, thanks for asking.

I would probably say this too if I didn't have to prove anything after making a really dumb, really expensive mistake.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What about something more like a German smear where you get rid of the redness but retain some of the tones and color variations from brick to brick?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Mine's in the stairwell leading down to my basement. As long as everyone knows where it is and it's not obstructed by much you'll be fine.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My house is chopped up from different centuries. The original house is from the mid 1700s, the middle of the house the 1800s, the back of the house 1940s, and my master bath from 2004.

Unsurprisingly the quality of the work goes in that reverse order (they seriously did the master bath plumbing without pvc glue) and I'm awaiting the day I hear we have to take the entire kitchen and bath down (floor is not level and is likely sitting on dirt).

I do wish I had a big rear end attached garage though to consolidate workshop + yard equipment and not have to deal with cleaning snow off of cars in the winter.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

God, the idea of a "man cave" that isn't like a workshop or hobby space/library/office of some kind and is instead "the sportsball and beer room" makes me retch. It's the hetero male version of wall text.

A kid I went to highschool with posted pictures of his proudly done man cave. Besides the term making me gag, the pictures make me go full-puke.

Just to be clear the top right is the edge of Nascar tires he has on the wall.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You can also easily tape the cables to the back of the frame to make them invisible.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I dig the brick fireplace, just from a historic perspective and a little way to add some divide. I don't like any of the furniture with it though.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I hate plants but am all aboard the succulent train.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh god I'm in love with these guide light + outlet in one guys. I'm afraid about how much money I'm going to spend on them, I've already bought 4.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Legrand-radiant-15-Amp-125-Volt-White-Indoor-Decorator-Wall-Tamper-Resistant-Outlet/50253195

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I ain't no PUSSY I'm not buying a night light!

Yeah I can kind of see why that language is used, I feel like guidelights are more permanent light the lights that take up a whole gang box and night lights just immediate make me think of plug in and goofy poo poo.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The first weekend we owned our house we decided to tape off the kitchen before we moved everything in, take all the doors off the cabinets/drawers (about 27-30), sand them and the framing, and apply a fresh coat of white paint.

It wasn't the worst thing, got it done within the weekend or 4 days I believe, but it was really loving tiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The amount of pink and black bathrooms in the Philadelphia area is frightening.