Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
Thoughts on the best way to approach a total renovation to this kitchen? It'd be great to add more counter/cabinet space, but ways I've thought of seem kinda awkward, like a counter/lower cabinet to the right of the window, or a breakfast bar the length of the window. Island in the middle doesn't seem feasible either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide

Bad Munki posted:

It's a bit :homebrew: but replace the window, make the sill higher so you can fit a counter under it and make a big L to your fridge, move the sink to be under the window so it gets light and you can look out while doing sink work. Put the oven where the sink currently is. Dishwasher next to the new sink.

e: You don't have a microwave? Put one above the new oven/range location, get one with a fan. Not sure what's above that room so it may have to vent inside but it's better than the current no-fan setup!

Yeah this is a place we're buying, so microwave obtainment is part of the renovation plan. There's a fan in the ceiling for venting, but it'd be nice to replace it.

I've pondered dealing with the window, sink in front of it would be great, but I suspect the condo association rules may block that, since it'll impact the external appearance. I'm also not wallowing in money, suspect that'd break the not=tiny budget for this project. I've done some searching but not seen any good solutions for how people have dealt with that situation.

Maybe do something crazy like get rid of the whole counter area with the sink in it to create enough room for an island with a sink?

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide

peanut posted:

uk? thanksgiving???

Anyway huge window guy, when you say "total remodel" does that mean replacing the window and moving pipes? And what's on the other side of the window? Is it for balcony access or just massive?

Replacing the window is likely out, though you never know about condo rules, but yeah it's just big (other units in the development have floor to ceiling there, could be worse). But I'm digging 2, perhaps with seating on top? I think it's probably okay if it goes above the window, though dust trap is likely the result as Peanut said. Total budget is probably 10-15k depending on how much other things that we want to do cost, haven't approached contractors yet about how much different options would be.

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
The wallpaper that came in my half bath is quite something. Should I keep it and renovate the rest of the bathroom or bid it goodbye?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
I have some window box seats that are built in, part of the house's design. I'm pretty sure they are just hollow boxes and would like them to convert them to storage, like with tops that open or drawers. I don't have the tools for that though. Is this something I can just hire a random handyman to to? Or is a carpenter needed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide

vonnegutt posted:

I'm willing to bet that the cost of tools to DIY this would be less than the cost of a handyman. If they are truly hollow boxes made of any kind of wood-like material (mdf, etc), you can probably pry up the tops, add some hinges to the inside, and sand the box's front edge to make it a little more hand-friendly. Tools required: claw hammer, hinges, screwdriver. Maybe a cordless drill/driver if you want to be fancy (also you should have a cordless drill/driver for general house stuff). Total cost, less than $100, which is probably the minimum for just getting someone in your house. There might be some complicating factors (are the window boxes wedged into a tight space, requiring the "lid" of the box to be inset a little? Are they terribly old and warped? Etc). Post some pics and we can maybe tell you.

Drawers would be more involved and should probably involve a handyman.

I'm pretty sure it's plywood, I'll post a picture when i get a chance. I think I could probably do it, but what I worry about is actually having a nice looking product in the end. I saw someone with the same layout as ours that had gotten this done, and it just looked kinda tacky (gaps in the top, and they mentioned some dampness, so I'd want ours waterproofed or insulated somehow).