Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Hedenius posted:

Anything magnetic works. It’s basically copper and aluminum you can’t use.

it sounds like a curse for copper, since it's the best for direct heat anyway

why do people use aluminum cookware again? lack of corrosion and easy upkeep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

don't even recognize myself when I snipe, lmao

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Victory Position posted:

it sounds like a curse for copper, since it's the best for direct heat anyway

why do people use aluminum cookware again? lack of corrosion and easy upkeep?

it's cheap as poo poo and the lighter weight really helps some people and yeah, doesn't rust

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Aluminum is lightweight and highly conductive. It actually has greater conductivity than copper for the same weight.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
it's also soft and abrades real good when you scrub it

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Oneiros posted:

it's cheap as poo poo and the lighter weight really helps some people and yeah, doesn't rust

it sounds like it makes a good as hell wok

edit: thinking about induction on a huge rear end wok

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

it's also soft and abrades real good when you scrub it

or use steel spatulas/forks/tongs/chopsticks/whatever

also til that there's induction-friendly woks. i wonder how well/lovely those actually work

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

paul_soccer12 posted:

Matt is right

I don't have mains electricity at my home.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Oneiros posted:

also til that there's induction-friendly woks. i wonder how well/lovely those actually work
not great. to really cook properly with a wok you need a poo poo-ton of heat hitting a round base. induction stoves need flat surface area to put out heat.

that said, flat-bottomed woks are still a decent pan form, just don't expect Chinese kitchen cooking times.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Victory Position posted:

I, what

I take it he's the kind that cooks only with copperware

I take it he's the kind who doesn't cook

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

FFT posted:

not great. to really cook properly with a wok you need a poo poo-ton of heat hitting a round base. induction stoves need flat surface area to put out heat.

that said, flat-bottomed woks are still a decent pan form, just don't expect Chinese kitchen cooking times.

There are actually rounded induction stoves made to work with woks. They apparently work really well.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
nobody in cspam is using a wok in such a way they have to have gas lol

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

nice to see thug lessons brain is as big as ever

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Why do people hate his sister so much? He seems like the real piece of poo poo in that family. A kind of nega-Shapiro situation where they’re Catholic instead of Jewish and tepid libs, but still push out garbage takes hundreds of times a day.

lmao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I don't even think "we should phase out natural gas use" is a bad take, the mind boggling part is "electric is convenient and as good or better than gas at cooking"

coathat
May 21, 2007

Sounds like you need to get better at cooking

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Victory Position posted:

it sounds like it makes a good as hell wok

I use a cheap aluminum wok on an electric stove all the time. Great for stir fry and even popcorn if you know what you're doing.

Lol at needing to burn fossil fuels to cook. "I can't tilt the pan..." bougie nonsense.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

I know, I'm generating some content for the thread. For real, I do hate how much space these people occupy and the time, energy, attention devoted to talking about them. It is just completely unnecessary, especially for someone like Vaush, and it blows my mind every time I read about him that any aspect of him is impressive to anyone, which is impressive in and of itself.

I find it's pretty easy to never hear about this person or these people as long as you just ignore twitter. Suddenly they become completely irrelevant to anything I do politically.

also matty b's shitck is 100% efficacy in day-to-day tasks and all his hot takes come from that perspective. it's definitely got people riled up

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 18:06 on Mar 27, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hedenius posted:

Anything magnetic works. It’s basically copper and aluminum you can’t use.
Cast iron will scratch the hell out of the glass, and you can have my husband's mother's skillets approximately a millennium after he's dead, and even then it's chancy. The workarounds I've seen are "place the pan straight down on the stove, and never move it sideways", "put a paper towel between the pan and the stove, and watch it carefully in case the pan overheats it", and "file the bottom of the pan smooth." A magnet won't stick to my All-clad, and it won't stick to the nonstick skillets we have to replace every few years. I also have some copper pans inherited from my parents that I'd like to use.

We've been building up our cooking pans since 1980 or so. We're not interested in replacing most of our most-used pans. Our next stove will definitely be electric, but unlikely induction. I've also read that it's a lot better for your lungs to get that inefficient carbon combustion out of the house.

e: All-Clads are aluminum clad in stainless, with a copper disk sandwiched in the bottom for heat consistency. They are not cheap throwaways.

Arsenic Lupin has issued a correction as of 18:54 on Mar 27, 2021

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

raspurtin posted:

I use a cheap aluminum wok on an electric stove all the time. Great for stir fry and even popcorn if you know what you're doing.

Lol at needing to burn fossil fuels to cook. "I can't tilt the pan..." bougie nonsense.

imagine thinking gas stoves are bougie

behold the kitchen of the decadent bourgeoisie.

yes i know i have to do dishes gently caress off who are you my mom

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

is that a dishwasher?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
it's true my poverty credentials are a fraud.

e: Also funfact: most older turkish people shove their washing machine in that spot and do their laundry in the kitchen, even if they live in a decent sized home.

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 19:44 on Mar 27, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It's pretty common in the UK too. My washing machine is in my tiny kitchen

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

indigi posted:

I don't even think "we should phase out natural gas use" is a bad take, the mind boggling part is "electric is convenient and as good or better than gas at cooking"

matt has really borked up mental wiring, from what we can see
aside from all this bullshit, where did the idea that electric cooking is more eco friendly/more efficient than natural gas come from anyway?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

so .... the "rolling coal" anology is just dumb as gently caress tbh

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Flesh Forge posted:

aside from all this bullshit, where did the idea that electric cooking is more eco friendly/more efficient than natural gas come from anyway?
You're always better off generating carbon-based energy at a massive plant, rather than locally. It's the same reason electric cars are good. There's also the issue of indoor and outdoor air pollution, and all the stuff gas appliances emit that isn't carbon monoxide.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Flesh Forge posted:

it would be if the electrical grid wasn't dependent on fossil fuels.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

is that a dishwasher?

Maybe it’s full of coffee makers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Personally-held hot take: we should have hydrogen stoves.

All the power and control of hydrocarbon gases, but there’s no carbon so no indoor air pollution.

One of the big catches is that we would need seriously improved safety standards for gas leakage and detection. The explosive concentration band of hydrogen in air is extremely wide, and hydrogen leaks readily through microscopic gaps.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If you have solar panels on your roof or your power comes from a nuclear power plant or hydro or whatever then yeah, electric is probably less environmentally damaging than gas, and on the plus side it won't give your kids asthma. If your choice is to burn coal to run an electric stove or burn gas to run a gas stove it matters less except for your lungs.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zedhe Khoja posted:

In addtion to what others have said about point-source, indoor air pollutants, we also have to consider the lifecycle emissions of getting that natural gas to homes. the natural gas system is insanely leaky and methane is a very potential greenhouse gas so the carbon intensity of delivering natural gas to everyone' homes is really massive compared to the grid now.

we will have to stop doing it and shut down the entire system if we ever intend to take meaningful action on climate. that's why bans on new natural gas connections have started in the most climate accepting locales, to begin phasing out the system.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Cooking is about one percent of residential energy use.

It’s a tempest in a teapot.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Zedhe Khoja posted:

My electiricty company is 100% renewable :smug:

But yeah, I've always wondered why abstracting the fossil fuel burning a few steps is viewed as a miracle for the environment.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
hard to believe people are stilling using heat to cook like cavemen when you could just eat cereal

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Vasukhani posted:

hard to believe people are stilling using heat to cook like cavemen when you could just eat cereal

or go to mcdonalds

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

side note, major US power plants mostly don't burn coal any more they burn natural gas*, but

Zedhe Khoja posted:

electric induction stoves are more efficient than gas stoves but 1% of US stoves are induction lol
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/why-dont-people-use-induction-cooktops/

I am a bit skeptical whether traditional heating element electric is more efficient than burning NG, but I've been lied to about lots of stuff in the past though :shrug:

*nothing to do with environmental reasons, NG is just cheaper and more plentiful than coal now, at least in America

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The issue isn't energy use, the issue is that we have to shut down the natural gas system because of the greenhouse gas emissions.

(This is one of the myriad ways our government is failing us, by not starting the outreach making people understand what and why now to make those transitions later easier.)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

The issue isn't energy use, the issue is that we have to shut down the natural gas system because of the greenhouse gas emissions.

absolutely, sure, this is the problem with having dipshit podcasters and professional take-havers drive every loving conversation (as other people have pointed out)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
electric coil stoves are significantly more energy inefficient than gas and are more expensive to operate as a result (this still isn't v much money). matt has his analogy backwards

they're also shittier to cook on - they take longer to heat up and tend to heat unevenly

however gas does have the problem with indoor air pollution, so make sure to always run your vent hood when it's on and you'll be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

THS posted:

or go to mcdonalds

how many barrels of oil do you have to burn to upkeep a McDonald's for an entire year

does it break even with or fly past the amount of fryer oil one also goes through in that same year