Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

Eh not the worst take:

Chomsky posted:

“Unlike repression of the left, typically tolerated (even approved), repression of the right elicits great concern and sometimes support for the targets, as they claim the high moral ground of ‘defending basic civil rights’,” he says. “That’s quite apart from the opportunity cost, the failure to use the opportunity to expose their doctrines and actions, and the threat they pose to civilised existence.”

So arguing from a tactical view rather than some sort of moral high ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

The far-right is going to cry victim regardless, so you might as well try to physically/violently stop them.

yes but there is a point that it can back fire, especially if you not punching Nazis to defend yourself and others but also simple trump supporters or some meme guy

that's bad optics

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007

Reading that is like slogging through pure molasses

Here is a translation from idiotspeak to english so you don't have to share my pain:

* People identify with the hero of a story.

* Film heros used to be grounded in regular peoples real world experience

* Western were grounded by rural people experiences with horses

* Action flicks were grounded in military mens experiences

* Modern superhero flicks are grounded in nothing but fantasy, ergo something something millennias are weak baby piss ants identifying with a fantasy

also what the gently caress does "Indexical Reality" mean in this context? Is this a fancy way of saying "physical reality?"

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007

hackbunny posted:

This is all true though and something I've noticed myself. No idea what conclusions to draw from it though
HERE IS A HOT TAKE: Most action films are simple stories of good and evil, and we lack many real world examples of good institutions that we can hold up as the "good side".

"Rambo 4, Return to Iraq" would probably not fly so well. So who would be the goodies vs baddies in a symbolical reflection of modern society?

Instead just make up an evil, and make up a good, and have them clash over life or love or friendship or whatever

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007

Taking economic concepts and making them synonymous with progressive struggles is the greatest trick of modern capitalism, and i am so glad that it's slowly fading away.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
it's impossible to chalk up whether there was miscommunication or if he was creepely ignoring her body contexts. she says as much herself:

quote:

Whether Ansari didn’t notice Grace’s reticence or knowingly ignored it is impossible for her to say. “I know I was physically giving off cues that I wasn’t interested. I don’t think that was noticed at all, or if it was, it was ignored.”

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007

I googled it and the full abstract is worth a read:

quote:

Abstract
Killing with drones produces queer moments of disorientation. Drawing on queer phenomenology, I show how militarized masculinities function as spatiotemporal landmarks that give killing in war its “orientation” and make it morally intelligible. These bearings no longer make sense for drone warfare, which radically deviates from two of its main axes: the home–combat and distance–intimacy binaries. Through a narrative methodology, I show how descriptions of drone warfare are rife with symptoms of an unresolved disorientation, often expressed as gender anxiety over the failure of the distance–intimacy and home–combat axes to orient killing with drones. The resulting vertigo sparks a frenzy of reorientation attempts, but disorientation can lead in multiple and sometimes surprising directions – including, but not exclusively, more violent ones. With drones, the point is that none have yet been reliably secured, and I conclude by arguing that, in the midst of this confusion, it is important not to lose sight of the possibility of new paths, and the “hope of new directions.”

Keywords: drones, militarized masculinities, queer phenomenology, robotic war, narrative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007

Endman posted:

I really like Fallout 1 and I kind of wish it was alone as just a one-and-done classic from that era of cRPGs.

Fallout 2 was good! A bit bloated compared to 1 but nicely executed.
But I get what you mean, it would be nice if a classic could just be a classic, and not spawn 4 sequels and a spinoff MMO. And then a TV show, 2 movies and a dozen Funko Pops