Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raOvVvXsnes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Zas posted:

anyway: haldeman or ehrlichman??

ehrlichman

I would give anything to drink with 70s Nixon for 3 hours

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Zas posted:

anyway: haldeman or ehrlichman??

Ehrlichman got all pissy against Nixon because of the jail time he did

HR Halderman :allears:

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
nixon only ate rear end

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Why do people keep bringing up that Bush was reading to children when 9/11 happened like it's some kind of insult?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
because dumbya had a childs brain

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

super sweet best pal posted:

Why do people keep bringing up that Bush was reading to children when 9/11 happened like it's some kind of insult?

I'd like to think it's some kind of NCLB burn

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

cause if you're gonna orchestrate a fake terror attack the least you can do is be around to respond correctly!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

cause he reed it upside down lmaoo

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i hate this cartoonist. nixon was a monster.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Tim Kreider was the only good cartoonist of the Bush years

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCsGSMze_6Q

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
America has gone so far off the deep end that even Nixon looks nice now. :laugh:

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Nixon's crimes seem downright quaint with some perspective.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i dunno man him and kissinger's handling of cambodia and vietnam is pretty beyond the pale still

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qRZvlZZ0DY

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqbEsS5kFb8
this is mostly known for the snare sound but i think its a good tune in its own right

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

ScrubLeague posted:

Nixon's crimes seem downright quaint with some perspective.

he was also directly involved in 2 of america's most notorious interventions in latin america, the 1954 guatemalan coup (as part of the ike admin) and the pinochet coup (during his own admin)

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

What the gently caress, seriously? Reality is so loving weird.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

condolences to richard milhous today on the loss of his close friend and ex media advisor Roger Ailes

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bazomatic posted:

What the gently caress, seriously? Reality is so loving weird.

Assuming Nixon didn't do that poo poo he did with the Plumbers, his second term likely would have seen him introduce universal health care

Tingfinder
Oct 21, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

Nixon > Reagan > Trump

agree/disagree?

Trump > Nixon > Reagan > Dubya

In terms of actual damage done on a global scale.

Trump might be what was needed to finally snap the far-right out of their madness, or they might just double down on it, that remains to be seen. But he is too incompetent to actually get anything done, and won't last much longer at this rate.

So far, Nixon has done more damage than Trump, simply by his refusal to end the Vietnam war.

In terms of sheer madness, incompetence and outright corruption, Trump takes the cake though, but each of them is horrible in their own way.

Also, in terms of damage to the U.S. and the rest of the worlds perception of it, Trump is probably tied with Dubya.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Tingfinder posted:

Trump might be what was needed to finally snap the far-right out of their madness

Funniest thing I've read all week

What would they have if they didn't have madness, the far-right is literally a con for the 0.1%

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

ghosts

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Though when Nixon was forced to fire Halderman and Erlichman he also said "this is like cutting off both my arms" and offered them all of his money. That firing might be also the first time the staff put Nixon on unofficial suicide watch

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s62PeTxELL4

RIP Powers Boothe

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Do you think nixon ever called kissenger a kyke to his face.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tingfinder
Oct 21, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

Funniest thing I've read all week

What would they have if they didn't have madness, the far-right is literally a con for the 0.1%

I might be naive, but i thought that when their elected pissident can't even go 6 months before calls to impeachment, that at least some of them would realize that maybe they've gone a step too far.

Even Nixon made it through the first 4 years without calls for impeachment.

There's also the fact that faux news is finally coming under siege, and losing many viewers. I have to have hope for the future, or i'll lose my mind.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
At least Nixon cared about what nominally happened here. Trump would gladly pave over every city with gold if he could. Nixon at least seemed keenly aware of how little he mattered if he wasn't in office. That shallow, insecure paranoia occasionally lead him to do good things.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tingfinder posted:

I might be naive, but i thought that when their elected pissident can't even go 6 months before calls to impeachment, that at least some of them would realize that maybe they've gone a step too far.

Which republicans are calling for impeachment?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

best one

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ya alright, just make sure Kissinger suffers under you in the next plane

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

LastInLine posted:

Which republicans are calling for impeachment?

I think the only one that's said "this poo poo is extremely concerning, we need an investigation now" is John McCain.

Impeachment is what you call for when the crime is confirmed

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

On Watergate:

Nixon ran his White House with secrecy, like Obama. He couldn't abide leaks to the press, and so after his election in 1969, he and the Attorney General Mitchell set up a group of "plumbers" to deal with leaks, and in general to pull dirty tricks on enemies. In this group included famous mustached rear end in a top hat G. Gordon Liddy, and two ex-CIA agents, Howard Hunt and James McCord. This group would do several dirty deeds (but not for dirt cheap) including breaking into the office of the Psychologist who leaked the Pentagon Papers, and the wiretapping of Democrat offices in the Watergate hotel. In June 1972, the Plumbers were caught in the Watergate, and immediate evidence suggested connections to the Committee to Re-Elect the President (CREP).

Further investigative reports (mainly by the NYT, Time magazine of all fuckin' organizations, and of course the Washington Post) were incredibly juicy, as they uncovered evidence of involvement with the break-in at the highest levels of the Nixon administration. Woodward and Bernstein, intrepid WP reporters were helped in particular by the famous anonymous source Deep Throat, who was revealed finally in 2005 to be Mark Felt, then deputy director of the FBI. Nixon meanwhile instigated a coverup, paying off the Plumbers in jail, while using federal government agencies to cover up his involvement. (Note for anybody watching Nixon: one of the first scenes with Nixon and his advisors is a conversation which would be later be described as "the smoking gun": the hard evidence that Nixon was engaged in a cover-up. It's disclosure on the white house tapes would trigger impeachment proceedings and Nixon's resignation.)

In the mind of Nixon, all of this was more or less justified, as other presidents had pulled similarly nasty tricks on him. Nixon had made his name as a communist-hunter in the early 1950s with the Alger Hiss case; which saw Truman using his power to try and protect Hiss. In 1960 while running against JFK, Bobby Kennedy would have Nixon's mother, elderly and dying of cancer, audited by the IRS to distract Nixon. So in Nixon's mind, anyway, the Plumbers were just how the game was played.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think the only one that's said "this poo poo is extremely concerning, we need an investigation now" is John McCain.

Impeachment is what you call for when the crime is confirmed

john mccain is the most worthless loving senator alive and his word means sweet gently caress all

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Tingfinder posted:

Even Nixon made it through the first 4 years without calls for impeachment.

There's also the fact that faux news is finally coming under siege, and losing many viewers. I have to have hope for the future, or i'll lose my mind.

Unlike some goons, I don't like delivering bad news

on the other hand friend, can I suggest you take steps to preserve your mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Watergate - part 2

While these things were reported, they didn't affect Nixon's re-election, which was by a clear majority in the popular vote and the most one sided victory in US History if you go by the electoral college. 1972 was basically year of the Nixon, a total triumph. Had Nixon made a full confession and apology after the victory, it is likely the whole thing would have blown over.

poo poo starts to go downhill in '73. A Grand Jury to investigate Watergate convened, who had the power to issue subpoenas and collect testimony. E:[This was done by the senate in a vote of 77-0 in February 1973.]

Judge Sirica suspected shenanigans in the Watergate burglary, and gave punitive sentences of 40 years each to the would-be wiretappers to pressure them into testifying. Around the same time Nixon begins a cover up of the cover up, and seems to have realized he was going to have to give up HR Halderman and John Erlichman, his two political operatives since the 1950s. One of the Watergate buglers, Jeb! Magruder, told Sirica that there had been perjury in the Plumbers trial, and implicated John Mitchell, former Attorney General, and John Dean, the President's new lawyer. John Dean the next day had a weird conversation with Nixon where he got the idea that Nixon was trying to get him to admit to stuff while being recorded. Dean flipped after this and became a witness for the prosecution.

The key evidence became the White House taping system. Several presidents previously (like Johnson and JFK) had used voice activated taping systems, and Nixon had one installed in secret early in his administration. Ostensibly this was for history and record keeping; in reality it was to keep a subtle eye on Henry Kissinger, White House national security advisor. Despite being the chief author of White House foreign policy, he had been a **Harvard** professor before this, and Nixon + Halderman/Erlichman thought Kissinger might be leaking stuff to his "eastern establishment" friends. This wiretapping had a hilarious* unintentional effect: it totally insulated Kissinger from Watergate, and he was the only senior Nixon White House member not to be tainted in the later scandal.

*I mean I find Chilean dissidents being vanished by the police hysterical, I don't know about you

The taping system was inadvertently revealed by Nixon's lawyers. In an attempt to discredit John Dean, a transcript was released to the grand jury of a particular conversation between Dean and Nixon. The Grand Jury noticed it seemed verbatim. Next, Alexander Butterfield (an assistant of HR Halderman in Nixon's first term who had installed the taping system) gave testimony, and when directly asked, confirmed that a comprehensive taping system was operational in the White House.

This was a bombshell, and three days later, when Butterfield took the stand again, all the major broadcast networks carried it live. The existence of the taping system was revealed to the world, and Nixon's days were numbered.

Nebakenezzer has issued a correction as of 04:28 on May 22, 2017

• Locked thread