Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should go #1 overall?
This poll is closed.
Nolan Patrick 7 12.50%
Nico Hischier 8 14.29%
Someone Else 2 3.57%
Edmonton Oilers 39 69.64%
Total: 56 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The red flag other than his size is definitely the late birthday. He's almost a year older than some of the other guys in the draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah my reaction to that was that 5 of those players were effective NHLers. I bet that's far better than most teams.

e: HockeyFuture top 10 sens prospects in 2007:

Top 20 at a glance
1. (1) Josh Hennessy, C
2. (3) Nick Foligno, LW
3. (2) Brian Lee, D
4. (4) Igor Mirnov, C
5. (7) Ilya Zubov, C
6. (NR) Jim O’Brien, C
7. (6) Brian Elliott, G
8. (9) Kaspars Daugavins, LW
9. (5) Kirill Lyamin, D
10. (11) Alexander Nikulin, C
Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9859/senators_top20_prospects_fall2007/#kExbghRwHUeCMc4Q.99

:barf:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Which of them died?

Bourdon

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Pronmann has Suzuki so high because of his scoring numbers when you take birth date into account. That's his current thing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Thufir posted:

IMO any top 5 that doesn't stick in the NHL and can't play in the A should pull a Matthews and go play in Europe. gently caress the CHL agreement.

It's not really pulling a Matthews. I think teams should definitely establish relationships with pro teams other than AHL for this purpose. Hell I think in a lot of ways even ECHL hockey might be better than the lap year in junior some of these guys are forced to take. At least that's pro hockey against full grown men.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Verviticus posted:

i feel like you're just glossing over his numbers which are part of 'statistical analysis' because its not the nhl or something. if it were so easy to just get good players by going to the chl, people wouldn't draft griffin reinhart 4th overall

i dont know if you can safely say any chler put up a better season than pettersson

he's outscored wennberg, pastrnak and forsberg in their draft years

but got outscored by William Karlsson. Yuck.

If you look at the last five or six years guys who score that much are pretty close to sure thing NHLers. Nylander, Forsberg, and Pastrnk are all top 6 NHLers, and Berglund (cheating a bit and going back further on him) and Karlsson are more of the second / third line variety but still very good. Wennberg looks like he may end up a top line guy. Hell, even Cehlarik tore up the AHL in his first year over here.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Typical Goon posted:

Pettersson had an NHLe of 25.8 projected points vs common joke prospect Michael Rasmussen who had 23.4 projected points.

41 points in 43 games in the Allsvenskan is equivalent to a 58 point in 50 games in the WHL. To act like Pettersson is "as sure fire an NHL player as anyone in the draft" is pure nuts

NHLe numbers for that league are not particularly valuable. You run into a sample size issue.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JawKnee posted:

watching highlights of Nick Suzuki... man I kind of wish the nucks would trade down to try and get him.

I'm bought in to Pronmann's argument about age re: Suzuki.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JawKnee posted:

what would that be?

Vilardi is the other player I'd like to see the nucks take - and both are august 99

His scoring considering his age is elite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That hometown boy poo poo is useful if you have a minor league team sometimes because of small-town mentality, but it has no place in the major leagues in any sport. Like, I started rooting for Calgary because Theo Fleury was a Warrior first, but it certainly didn't hurt they were a successful team. Plus Lanny McDonald! And a guy with a 100MPH slapshot (back when that was more novel).

It's fine when you use later picks to grab guys who are being overlooked for whatever reason. Ottawa taking Pageau is a great example of that. Or Borowiecki, tbh. Even if I don't think Boro is an NHL quality guy, he's certainly worth more than the pick that was spent on him.

Ceci is a good example of why you don't spend a first on a local guy.

• Locked thread