Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should go #1 overall?
This poll is closed.
Nolan Patrick 7 12.50%
Nico Hischier 8 14.29%
Someone Else 2 3.57%
Edmonton Oilers 39 69.64%
Total: 56 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Nic Petan is an inch taller than Yamamoto, put up 120 points in 71 games in his draft year (Yamamoto put up 99 in 65 this year), isn't a late birthday and he only went 43rd overall in 2013, an actual good draft year.

4 years later he's done nothing at the NHL level. People in this thread overvalue decent years from short players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

I think it's wise to be cautious of players playing at a lower level than the rest of their peers. It's the same reason I'm not sole on Cale Makar. It's really easy to look great and get tons of ice time and primo opportunities when you're head and shoulders above your teammates. They're a worthwhile gamble for a team who can risk a potential bust, but the Canucks can't afford to miss on this pick. Not again.

Patterson plays on Allsvenskan, the Swedish U20 league...he's playing at the same level as his peers in the draft.

He had basically the exact PPG as Jonathan Dahlin, who is a year younger and apparently a hot prospect for the Nucks. They even played on the same team

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 20, 2017

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Yeah Pettersson would probably be a bad pick for the Canucks but my wish list for the Jets at 13 is him or Makar/Liljegren

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

There is literally no benefit for Patrick playing another year in the WHL. What he needs in a year in the AHL, but noooooope. Which is why I kinda want Nico. He can play in the AHL right away.

If a player is dominate in junior then there is nothing left for then to benefit from. Patrick was far from dominate in junior however.

I don't think either Patrick or Hischier should be in the NHL next year

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Patrick scored 102 points in his D-1 year. How isn't that dominate?

Normally dominant players aren't third on their line in PPG and they usually don't regress offensively between their draft-1 and draft year.

I like how you don't mention how he scored 46 points this season. His PPG ratio of 1.39 this season was good for 10th the WHL. The Jets 2015 4th round pick Michael Spacek is only a little over a year older and scored a higher PPG on the season. He dominant too?

The 2017 draft is garbage at the top. None of these guys are immediate impact players and I think think teams would be a lot better off letting them have an extra development year

My partner's family is from Brandon so I've probably seen Patrick play live between 5-10 times the last couple of years. He is Sam Reinhart reborn, and not at all an elite prospect, even if he does get drafted top 2

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Oh come on. Patrick only scored 46 points because he broke his collarbone. You know this. And Patrick's D-1 year was leagues better than Reinhart's (if I'm reading the stats page right)

Players should have an extra development year, just not in the CHL.

You continue to ignore that Patrick's draft year was worse than his draft-1 year. Why? I suspect your favourite team has something to do with it.

I've watched Patrick enough live to be confident in my analysis of him. How many times have you seen him play?

Reinhart lead his team in scoring his draft-1 year. Patrick was third on his line in PPG in his draft-1 year. Having Quenneville and Hawryluk on his line probably had something to do with his draft-1 stats

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 21, 2017

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

No poo poo Patrick's development stalled this year. Because he missed half the year injured you goon.

So a player who's development has stalled "has literally no benefit to staying in the WHL"

Hot take you goon

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The barrier for "nothing left to learn in the CHL" is really, really high.

The only recent guy I can think of that probably was hurt by the junior lap rule was Drouin, and he seems to be coming around as a top line forward. Then you have guys like Marner who did dominate junior in his draft year and who probably benefited from staying away from that garbage Leafs team in his draft+1 year.

Would Patrick really be better off playing on a garbage Jersey team instead of getting a (hopefully) full season under his belt and learning to produce more offensively on a strong WHL team?

I assume Jersey will take Patrick to get a bit more size and a right shot. Hischier and Keller are the exact same prospect

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Schlesische posted:

He was really good with McDavid before "the Clavicle incident", but seemed lost after McDavid went down and never received a second chance iirc.

Also, the story was that Edmonton FO really wanted Matt Murray, but the fans had the "Fail for Nail" thing going and Katz leaned down and said "no gently caress you, you're taking Yakupov".

Ryan Murray. Who probably would have helped them more than Yakupov, but who is also kind of a bust

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I'd take Lindholm and Trouba over Forsberg, but yeah 2012 was an awful draft

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Pettersson had an NHLe of 25.8 projected points vs common joke prospect Michael Rasmussen who had 23.4 projected points.

41 points in 43 games in the Allsvenskan is equivalent to a 58 point in 50 games in the WHL. To act like Pettersson is "as sure fire an NHL player as anyone in the draft" is pure nuts

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I can admit when I was wrong though, it happens to everyone. I also thought Yakupov was going to be really good!

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

I thought Bo Horvat was a terrible pick at the time.

I remember you having some spicey McDavid takes back in the day

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Verviticus posted:

heck, there's little to suggest heiskanen or liljegren dont have a reasonable chance of being players next year

You mean besides their mediocre rear end draft years I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
yeah my opinion is if you're nothing more than a replacement level Finnish or Swedish league player then you're probably not capable of playing at the NHL level at that time.

I don't think either Heiskanen or Liljegren suck, I just don't think either is a top 15 D prospect either

I don't think there is a single player from this draft that should be in the NHL next year. None are polished enough and all have flaws that they could work on at a lower level in order to maximize their development.

• Locked thread