Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should go #1 overall?
This poll is closed.
Nolan Patrick 7 12.50%
Nico Hischier 8 14.29%
Someone Else 2 3.57%
Edmonton Oilers 39 69.64%
Total: 56 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

I'm not sure how they compare skill-wise, but I imagine Hischier and Patrick both have a lot more hockey sense (or hockey IQ or however you want to put it) than Yakupov which makes them automatically better.

Poor Yakupov. He has the skills of a 1st/2nd line RW, he just has 0 hockey sense to put it all together. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

teamjack posted:

Part of me hopes he gets selected by Vegas in the expansion draft. Maybe gets top 6 minutes under a Gallant or Eakins.

Dallas Eakins was already Yakupov's coach before, and he did not give him top 6 minutes.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Well Sam Bennett couldn't even do a pull-up, and look how bad he is now.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Bob McKenzie released his final draft rankings, and he has Hischier over Patrick for 1st overall.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

where did the thread title come from

It came from the last post on the previous page.

CMvan46 posted:

I'm not saying I liked the pick personally either. I know him personally, played with his brother all growing up, and he's not an overall hard working guy and isn't all that bright.

I agree it doesn't matter where a guy is from but for casual fans it does matter. It was a marketing dream for the Canucks and I think that played in to the pick as much as the skill. The Canucks have practically nothing to sell tickets right now and haven't for years now. It's the same reason the Blue Jays went after Brett Lawrie.

I still don't think stats are a be all indicator especially when guys play in different leagues, on different strength teams and the increasing number of high end guys playing in pro leagues in Europe.

• Locked thread