Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should go #1 overall?
This poll is closed.
Nolan Patrick 7 12.50%
Nico Hischier 8 14.29%
Someone Else 2 3.57%
Edmonton Oilers 39 69.64%
Total: 56 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

Verviticus posted:

i feel like the days of top 5 picks being traded are basically over

I can't believe people in Vancouver still think we could move up to the top 2-3, maybe I'm putting my foot in my mout but I don't see it happening. I do hope we trade Tanev but him alone isn't going to grab one of those picks and him and our 1st round is a huge over payment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013
Makar seems like a hell of a player but drafting him 1st would be one of the biggest draft blunders in a long time.

He is undersized and there is just no comparison to know how he will adjust to a faster and bigger game at higher levels. Makar seems like a boom or bust kind of pick and that's a big bet with number 1. I agree this is likely for ratings but crazier things have happened.

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think the notable difference in this instance is that Pulujaarvi was deffo a top 5 pick going in and went #4, Makar probably won't even crack the top 10 much less go #1

Oh I think Makar goes top 10 easily.

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013
I hope the Canucks take Glass if available. I don't mind Makar if they take him but I do think he's a big time gamble.

It's hard to fault Benning on the Virtanen pick. If they had passed up on the home town kid who was not a reach at their pick we would have never heard the end of it from fans and media here. Unfortunately I just don't think he's smart or motivated enough to play his game to higher levels.

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

I do, his stats were terrible compared to the guys ranked around the same place and no one gives a poo poo who's on the roster if they're winning.

Barely anybody complained when they picked him at the time and every "expert" and mock draft had him going around where we took him as well. People do give a poo poo though and it was a marketing dream if it worked out and junior stats are a crappy argument for drafting a player especially considering the style of game he plays.

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

Virtanen stuff

I'm not saying I liked the pick personally either. I know him personally, played with his brother all growing up, and he's not an overall hard working guy and isn't all that bright.

I agree it doesn't matter where a guy is from but for casual fans it does matter. It was a marketing dream for the Canucks and I think that played in to the pick as much as the skill. The Canucks have practically nothing to sell tickets right now and haven't for years now. It's the same reason the Blue Jays went after Brett Lawrie.

I still don't think stats are a be all indicator especially when guys play in different leagues, on different strength teams and the increasing number of high end guys playing in pro leagues in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

Verviticus posted:

anyways, any of glass/vilardi/suzuki/pettersson will make me happy. i dont want mittlestadt and i don't really want a defenceman - why would you take one of them when you can finagle your way into one of the really good 2nd/3rd round defencemen available like salo. id probably rank those four pretty equal but give the edge to pettersson

I still think we are far enough from being any good a defenceman isn't a horrible choice this year just because they typically take longer to develop though I don't mind the young defence group we have already. Benning's interview he just did on 1040 seemed to me like he was leaning forward.

It's hard to know how honest they are in those interviews but he did say he doesnt know who is going 3-4 and that a lot of teams have this top 10 ranked completely differently. I do wonder if we could see the Canucks move down a spot or two if a couple of their guys are still available at 5.

He also said Tanev is a big part of the team and their best defenceman (no poo poo) and that to trade him they'd have to get a defenceman in return. So that changes some of the chance around him going for a high pick, at least on his own.

• Locked thread