Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Shields are good now, as are a lot of weapons that really weren't doing it before. It's worth taking Freeze Blast or the Ice Bow if it comes with a piercing shot. You can and will mulch everything and anything if you decide to run with something like the Impaler or the Assassin's Dagger.

Almost downed the Watcher with the Ice Bow and Quick Bow, but sort of messed up on the last phase. The weapons in this game are starting to get a lot better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Just died on my most successful run in the Graveyard because I didn't realise what those hook guys could do. What completely carried me this time was a flashbang that boosted fire damage with a firebomb that did more if the target was stunned, combined with a crit dagger that also did 25% more on stunned targets. Oh yeah they also boosted my health and strength. Kunai was nice for handling flyers.

That run the fights felt a bit samey :v:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Did a run post-patch. My first successful run so far with 12 skill and grenade/death orb. Impaler loving owns.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mindblast posted:

Just died on my most successful run in the Graveyard because I didn't realise what those hook guys could do.

That's another complaint I have about this game; it doesn't really give you a chance to learn. In a game like Dark Souls or any of the other things this game compares itself to, you're introduced to new enemies and mechanics gradually to give you an idea of what they can do. This game on the other hand throws more and more enemies at you (with more and more health, who deal more and more damage) as you progress in the game in addition to introducing new enemy types. Good luck trying to find out what killed you in this clusterfuck of a dozen enemies and how to avoid it in the future! :shepface:

The beta patch is good though, lots of nice additions and changes. I guess if they keep improving this game like this, there's hope I'll love it yet.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Yeah sometimes I just get gibbed and barely have an idea of what happened, which is why I resorted to spamming skills from a mile away. A death recap/replay would be nice but I don't know if that fits the tone of the game.

e: Just installed beta and started a new game. Picked up a hammer and it feels SO GOOD to swing.

e2: oh man they added a spartan kick. hope there's a fist weapon so i can go full monk

e3: there's a necklace that ignites the ground you walk on :aaa:

Not sure how long they can keep adding neat new toys but if every update is like this I'll be happy about it.

e4 (can't stop): the triple traps are great against the black bridge boss. He can't jump over them.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 2, 2017

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
I think it really depends on what your build or luck is when you get to the hook guys. When I first met them I had enough health and defense that when I got hit by their kicks the first time I could still keep going so I was able to learn exactly what they did.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zaa Boogie posted:

I think it really depends on what your build or luck is when you get to the hook guys. When I first met them I had enough health and defense that when I got hit by their kicks the first time I could still keep going so I was able to learn exactly what they did.

Once you get to the enemies that make everything invisible and you need to get through three giant rear end spiders and two instant warp Skelton sword guys, that's when I value the drat grinders. I actually think shields will make it much easier!

I .. I cannot believe I am saying that I want to use shields.

Also what about those rear end in a top hat spike back douches in the sewers.

Firebrands are amazing btw. Burning does a lot of damages when you have four stacks on an enemy and not so much with 1

About the assassin daggers you def need to give them up before the watcher. Him, mushrooms, totems, and slime machines have no backs to stab.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Random things I noticed in the Beta (tldr it is good)

Frost blast is so much faster now. I ditched it after trying it twice in Live since the timing on it was just horrible. It is really solid and unlike regular weapons it doesn't feel like poo poo if you don't find newer versions of it. Newer version can roll with +stats apparantly so higher level versions do exist.

I almost skipped the nutcracker because the icon didn't look like a hammer to me. :v: It is fun and useful to use. Hammer > crit dagger is cool and good.

They also smoothed out the Old Sewers in case you did not have the rune from that section. Instead of having to wade through a gauntlet and getting to a boss half-mauled, now the boss is placed up front and you have a chat with an npc that clues you in that you're about to find a rune. There are no enemies on the way to the boss and in my version there was a merchant who only sold food(with a chef hat! :haw:).

If you can defeat the boss (whom feels retuned as well, a bit less dmg and health maybe?)you don't get an easy exit out of the sewer though, because right after it the proper level still waits for you. In which I got gibbed rather harshly. That grace period after taking damage is probably intentionally small.

Not impressed by the firebrand but I only used a low power version.

Patch is really good.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
I picked this up about a week ago, I've been having a lot of fun with it. My consistently best runs usually end up using a whip with the Damage Buffer Skill. I'm also particularly fond of the Heavy Crossbow weapon, even without the damage buffer it chunks enemies up close. Yes, even the bigger enemies like the sword guys or the axe throwers.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I found an amulet that stuns enemies when you jump on their head, like in Mario :haw:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
So, uh... look at this poo poo. (First boss spoiler in case there's anyone who cares)

https://gfycat.com/LinedSillyAppaloosa

HALF THE FREAKING HEALTHBAR IN ONE HIT!!!
And I didn't even make him bleed before which would have made that a crit, since I was using the Sadist's sword.

I died immediately afterwards due to just not being able to cope with dealing so much damage.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

IGgy IGsen posted:

So, uh... look at this poo poo. (First boss spoiler in case there's anyone who cares)

https://gfycat.com/LinedSillyAppaloosa

HALF THE FREAKING HEALTHBAR IN ONE HIT!!!
And I didn't even make him bleed before which would have made that a crit, since I was using the Sadist's sword.

I died immediately afterwards due to just not being able to cope with dealing so much damage.

The damage buffer is insanely overpowered on the love build. In the beta they changed it to a flat 70% buff (and you take 30% more while it's active). Try it with lightning whip, I've had it doing 3k per hit.

I'm sure everyone has their favorites, but it speaks well of the developers that just about every weapon is viable. If you're having problems it's a lack of stats not bad item drops.

I actually just beat it again on a fairly fresh file, like the 7th run. As long as you fully clear every level, you should have the stats to make it reasonable. I ended up with 7s across the board that run, but that's partly because every piece of gear I kept had +1 to a stat.

Also if you have a lightning whip or spell, try zapping enemies in water! It stuns them all!

SynthesisAlpha fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 3, 2017

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

When I first unlocked the Heavy Crossbow it dropped with the Bolts Pierce perk and has ruined every Heavy Crossbow drop since :negative:

LordNat
May 16, 2009
Thoughts on beta weapons

Assault Shield + Spartan Sandals is the best speed combo, you need good skills for killing bosses but for just pure clear nothing matches it.

Fire Brands is likely the best single weapon if you get it early. It can zero risk carry you for a long time.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I need to seriously reevaluate the firebrands it seems. At a glance they just seem okay.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Mindblast posted:

I need to seriously reevaluate the firebrands it seems. At a glance they just seem okay.

It can stack 3 instances of damage so it deals decent DPS. You can toss it to higher or lower platforms and just let it do it's job. Can be fired while crouching. Since is is a group damage effect it ignores anything that has a shield. The projectile deals damage so it can kill flying monsters easily.
It is not a fast weapon but it is easy added damage to whatever your main weapon is. Also since it is instant fire you can use it for easy resetting of attack patterns on your main hand.
If you mix it with an oil applying effect then it can carry you the entire game.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Its okay to think they sucked. You do have to consider they suck until you put several stacks of fire ok something.

Plus +damage on fire seems to be more common than any other modifer.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
the additions are nice but fixing the lag in the watcher fight would be nice. The lag (even with vsync off) makes the fight outside the tentacles extremely difficult.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

I'm trash at this game, but landing +7 weapon points and having infinite, infinitely piercing arrows made me feel godlike. right up until I died anyway.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Anyone else getting Out of Memory crashes running the beta? I'm for sure not "out of memory" and the game didn't crash once before I switched over to the beta channel.
e: nm, apparently it's a fairly common thing https://steamcommunity.com/app/588650/discussions/2/1291817837625987726/

bunky fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 4, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

bunky posted:

Anyone else getting Out of Memory crashes running the beta? I'm for sure not "out of memory" and the game didn't crash once before I switched over to the beta channel.
e: nm, apparently it's a fairly common thing https://steamcommunity.com/app/588650/discussions/2/1291817837625987726/

Yep. On level loads

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Any word yet on how to get past that metal door at the end of Graveyard?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

mary had a little clam posted:

Any word yet on how to get past that metal door at the end of Graveyard?

Dunno if anything has changed in beta but in base you have to take the key you found near there back to a building near the beginning of the stage and go in there.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Ali Aces posted:

Dunno if anything has changed in beta but in base you have to take the key you found near there back to a building near the beginning of the stage and go in there.

No, he means that door at the end of the graveyard. It simply cannot be opened yet. Much like the wharf leads nowhere as of right now.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Throwing knives with both poison and bleed on hit :getin:

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

IGgy IGsen posted:

No, he means that door at the end of the graveyard. It simply cannot be opened yet. Much like the wharf leads nowhere as of right now.

Okay phew. I was starting to think I was just missing something obvious

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

mary had a little clam posted:

Okay phew. I was starting to think I was just missing something obvious

That, and the new door at the beginning, are total mysteries.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I unlocked both of the runes last night--at this point I can access the entire game, or am I wrong?

Also, stupid question: The room at the beginning with all of the items you've unlocked is just to show your progress, right? There's no way to start with skills or weapons aside from the default load-out, correct?

The run where I got the teleportation rune ended in me losing three blueprints and a poo poo-ton of dead cells. It bummed me out.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 7, 2017

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

il serpente cosmico posted:

Also, stupid question: The room at the beginning with all of the items you've unlocked is just to show your progress, right? There's no way to start with skills or weapons aside from the default load-out, correct?
The items hanging from the ceiling are to show you what you've unlocked. But you can unlock random starting weapons and shields by pumping cells into the respective perks between levels.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
What's an optimal build-out for the Watcher? I can get through Phase 1 and Phase 1 Tentacruels just fine, but I always gently caress up on the 2nd set of wacky Tentacles. My most successful run with it had a piercing turret and a death orb that poisoned, but I don't think I even got it to halfway.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
The answer is to have enough health to survive a few hits and rally your hp back. Anything else is just whatever weapons and skills you feel comfortable using, but if you've got less than 500 hp (6 health i think?), you're gonna have a bad time.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I managed to beat the watcher with 10 Skill and like only 2 or 3 health.

10 skill and a cluster bomb vii makes crowd control a no-brainer. It's pushed me towards more all-skill runs when I was mostly focusing on health before.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Had a really good run going last night wherein I picked up an electric whip that did 200% damage at the cost of 200% damage taken. Overall I was feeling good about it because I had a good freeze grenade and flash bang so I could just CC enemies then destroy them before they could react. I walked up to an elite enemy and just as I engaged, Windows gave me a pop-up about an update. By the time I frantically managed to close it out, I was dead :negative:

Having a lot of fun with this one, can't wait to jump back in tonight.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Any recommendations for dealing with Elite enemies? Some of them are tougher than others but pretty much every one ends up hurting me bad unless I have something to cheese it with or a damage buffer to nuke it. I ran across an Elite Pirate Captain last night and ended up just running away because he was just spamming cannonballs infinitely.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I just figured out that teleporters aren't locked during combat so if you are getting overwhelmed by enemies try and run to the nearest one and teleport to heal.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

PantsBandit posted:

Any recommendations for dealing with Elite enemies? Some of them are tougher than others but pretty much every one ends up hurting me bad unless I have something to cheese it with or a damage buffer to nuke it. I ran across an Elite Pirate Captain last night and ended up just running away because he was just spamming cannonballs infinitely.

Elites turn into Ring-Around-the-Level for me once they start teleporting. Basically, I don't even mess with them unless my loadout gives me lots of damage from a distance, like cluster bombs, knife storm, magnet bombs, or whatever. I almost never melee them to death, I just rely on bombs as I sprint from ledge to ledge. But I really just skip them 80% of the time because the risk-reward ration is dubious. If I have the load out to kill a higher level elite, I probably have great stuff.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Also, did they just add mimics because drat I wasn't expecting that even though I should have.

welwala harris
Jan 28, 2005
Best two runs so far were from a biter swarm that inflicted poison and created more biters, which meant tossing that and whatever other item solved pretty much everything until the Watcher (where it was useless), and just now level 12 skills with a death orb that was doing like 8181 dmg/s which just nuked the thing. God drat that was brutal

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

moldovan scullery posted:

Best two runs so far were from a biter swarm that inflicted poison and created more biters, which meant tossing that and whatever other item solved pretty much everything until the Watcher (where it was useless), and just now level 12 skills with a death orb that was doing like 8181 dmg/s which just nuked the thing. God drat that was brutal

Think we had very similar runs. Here's the one I had:

I would go in and spam cluster bombs and knife storm. The knives would put a bunch of bleed on everyone and the cluster bombs would nuke, then when the original group died to that, the bleed would spread to everyone in the immediate area and the biters would clean up any survivors.

I was cleaning entire buildings in the Fog Fjord by killing one room.

Ended up making it to the graveyard for the first time and finding out the hard way that those fat scythe dudes can do 200+ damage after hooking you from across the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Looks like there was an update today? They've got achievements working and I've seen quite a few other new things too. Don't want to spoil anything but I'd recommend checking it out!