Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, loaded it back up today after I saw the update. In the first game I played, I actually got to the eyeball boss for the first time. A combination of fire bombs with magnet bombs that had +100% damage on burning enemies is what got me there. Turned out it wasn't a great loadout for eyeball man though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Oh poo poo! You can break golden doors now...at the expense of a super-curse! 40 kills without getting hit! This update is awesome.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

PantsBandit posted:

Oh poo poo! You can break golden doors now...at the expense of a super-curse! 40 kills without getting hit! This update is awesome.

You could do that before. It was just never worth it.

Also: Some of us have been talking about the elemental update for two weeks in here as it was available in the beta branch :v:

But yeh, it's quite awesome.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Haven't tried the game since the patch, but yeah golden doors were destructible before. It's better to just take the money perks and buy your way through, since the curse is too severe for most rewards while the gold fee is definitely worth it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i finally got around to getting this game

p ownage

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Did the patch imcrease stat up drops? Last few runs have seen me getting like, 20 or something

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just made it to The Watcher for the first time. That dude is real tough. I was a little annoyed though because I took a lot of damage due to the FPS absolutely TANKING for that boss fight. They need to get that poo poo fixed.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
If you get to The Watcher at all you should consider it a successful run. That fight seems busted even beyond any technical problems, I don't think it's very good.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

If you get to The Watcher at all you should consider it a successful run. That fight seems busted even beyond any technical problems, I don't think it's very good.

Huh, that's a shame. I feel like conceptually it's ok but the head bash move he does really nukes your health bar considering how framey the fight is.

Is there game past him or does beating him just give you some kind of "A winner is you!" type of thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really, really like this game. It just feels good to play, especially when you get a big combo chain on a bunch of enemies at once. The Watcher is such an awful fight, though. I actually am impressed by how much HP they decided to give it (by which I mean, way too much).

PantsBandit posted:

Huh, that's a shame. I feel like conceptually it's ok but the head bash move he does really nukes your health bar considering how framey the fight is.

Is there game past him or does beating him just give you some kind of "A winner is you!" type of thing.

The Watcher is the end of the current game, they still haven't implemented the back half. If you want to know what happens outright, your character arrives at the docks that will ferry him to the second half of the game world, and then it turns out The Watcher is actually still alive and it smacks you with a tentacle in a cutscene, killing you. Then it's back to the start.

Udenpah
Mar 26, 2007
To see the mote that I preferred to all the lists of clay
This game is real rad and controls are buttery smooth. Whatever the last patch was has made the watcher maybe a little easier or elemental stuff way better. I find knowing the watcher is coming up warps what kind of loot I pick up after the first boss, which is too bad as it invalidates phasing+backstabs and other nonsense fun. The flaming brand+synergistic weapon+high health has seen me through the watcher in 4 of the last 8 runs, though.

Would it be weird to hope there's a way to skip past it/fight an alternate boss in the full game?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I imagine some of the shortcuts like the red one whose name I forget will eventually lead to other places instead of just unceremoniously linking back to the main path. Also, I am annoyed that the Watcher can't be backstabbed. Yes, I get that it is just a big ol' eye and it doesn't actually have a back, but it completely invalidates a really useful weapon and a couple skills. Having it break out of stuns instantly is also such a dick move, and having flashbangs do nothing to it makes no sense because it's just a big ol' eye.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Do you guys not get horrific fps drops for that fight? Is it just me?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

PantsBandit posted:

The headbash is very prominently telegraphed though

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Both boss fighs are kinda bad but especially the Watcher is a huge stain on the game because so many otherwise good items are useless against it. Sometimes arbitrarily so. I really hope they rework the bosses soon.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

PantsBandit posted:

Do you guys not get horrific fps drops for that fight? Is it just me?

Vsync on its a constant 0-1 fps and with it off it just dips to zero when the boss dashes.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

The headbash is very prominently telegraphed though

Yeah it is but when I'm getting insane fps drops it tends to not matter.

welwala harris
Jan 28, 2005
Slashers seem way meaner now, and the new area was cool but didn't give me a single drat scroll for all that stress. And just a few games, but it feels like a lot more of the scrolls I did find were either in shops or behind gold doors, definitely felt a lot stingier all around.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
So this game looks cool but do you find interesting loot that you use during the game? Like, not for your next character after you gently caress up and lose, but your current character.

I thought rogue legacy was really boring in that there is nothing of interest in the castle to find and use, maybe your next character is gonna be cooler but this one is gonna stay exactly the same - does this address that?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

So this game looks cool but do you find interesting loot that you use during the game? Like, not for your next character after you gently caress up and lose, but your current character.

I thought rogue legacy was really boring in that there is nothing of interest in the castle to find and use, maybe your next character is gonna be cooler but this one is gonna stay exactly the same - does this address that?

Well there are amulets that provide various things (Triple jumps, ressurection, etc); attack-hp-skill level ups (sometimes you pick, sometimes decided), and replacement weapons-bows-shields-skills that also have RNG stats and can be different levels with more damage and things like "Applys Poison" or "+20% damage to poisoned enemies" for comboing stuff. So you could decide midway through that this sweet rapier sword you just found with 2x damage; 2x damage taken is really good and pair it with something else. So you're fairly often changing up weapons and abilities during your playthrough as you find better ones or different effects to them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Xaris posted:

Well there are amulets that provide various things (Triple jumps, ressurection, etc); attack-hp-skill level ups (sometimes you pick, sometimes decided), and replacement weapons-bows-shields-skills that also have RNG stats and can be different levels with more damage and things like "Applys Poison" or "+20% damage to poisoned enemies" for comboing stuff. So you could decide midway through that this sweet rapier sword you just found with 2x damage; 2x damage taken is really good and pair it with something else. So you're fairly often changing up weapons and abilities during your playthrough as you find better ones or different effects to them.

Okay, cool. To me this part is a lot more interesting than picking a loadout that never changes at the start - I feel a lot more attached to a character if they've found crazy loot that I'll lose on death than if they're just a carbon copy of the last one with some passive upgrades. I'll check it out.

Makaris
May 4, 2009

You are constantly getting gear, and there are absolute tons of combos that feel really, really good.

The elemental update definitely made the game easier. I am winning basically every run, even when I do deliberately wonky gimmick strats.

The think the bosses are largely fine. My main glaring issue with the game is the ammo mechanics. Makes bows arbitrarily bad against the bosses unless you luck into a decent +ammo in hit skill (since magnet grenades no longer work for this), and even then they do nothing against the watcher if your arrows are stuck in him and your dealing with the tentacles.

Like, Skills are generally speaking much stronger and safer that Strength builds, and most are on short cool downs. Why does some anemic quick bow gotta deal with ammo, but massively powerful grenades don't? Should just be you can shoot X times and if you run out of ammo and the arrows are out of reach, you got on a 6 second cool down and start recharging. Or something.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Okay, cool. To me this part is a lot more interesting than picking a loadout that never changes at the start - I feel a lot more attached to a character if they've found crazy loot that I'll lose on death than if they're just a carbon copy of the last one with some passive upgrades. I'll check it out.

Sometimes I find items that have effects that switch up how I play on it's head.

For example, I had an item that had the effect it did damage taken to surrounding enemies. I found a weapon with 2x damage 2x taken and thought, "huh, I wonder if I will do 2x damage to everything when I get hit as well'

Turns out, yup, and it's disgusting .

Some builds you find so fun that you want to stick with it even if it means you need to use a level 1 item / weapon. I had a weapon that made enemies splash out oil. I had an oil grenade that poo poo out worms whenever something died after I hit it with the grenade (the range of the splash is silly) .

Problem is the only ignition source I had was from a level 1 necklace that set the ground on fire whenever I ground slam . But it was hilarious .

welwala harris
Jan 28, 2005
So Ossuary now leads to either the Sepulchre or the Black Bridge, which could probably be a decent option for sprinting through to get to the timed door past the bridge, but otherwise doesn't seem like a great choice from the first level anymore.

edit: Or I guess it could be random now? But Toxic Sewers still gets way more options for going ahead unless you really want to play in the darkness.

welwala harris fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 24, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

What's the deal with the guy behind the grate, I think in the sewers? I've seen him a couple times now but it doesn't seem to trigger anything.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The Watcher tentacle that loving flies at 1000mph from the side of the screen and does half your health bar is a bad thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

PantsBandit posted:

The Watcher tentacle that loving flies at 1000mph from the side of the screen and does half your health bar is a bad thing.

The fact it still hurts you even if you freeze it- which is the only way to slow it down -and continues unimpeded when it unfreezes whereas nearly every other enemy type stumbles is really bad.

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace

PantsBandit posted:

What's the deal with the guy behind the grate, I think in the sewers? I've seen him a couple times now but it doesn't seem to trigger anything.

You can get the teleportation rune in that area.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The sewer guy makes more sense if you encounter him first on a fresh save. If you already have all runes it will probably look odd.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Update just went live; new biome, weapons, etc. Haven't tried it yet but just keeping this thread alive because this is pretty kickass for early access.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Update is real good. Game is real good.

edit: From the patch notes

quote:

2 new enemy types! We can't spoil you too much about them, but we really look forward to them killing you.

:haw:

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
This is my first new update. Is it supposed to have wiped my save?

[edit] Never-mind, fixed it. Info/solution here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/588650/discussions/2/2592234299554462333/

If you find your save data missing after the update, copy your save file from the location in userdata to the one in steamapps/common to get it back.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 30, 2017

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I must be out of practice because I seem to be dying a whole lot more. Also everything got a lot more expensive (and lol 1000 coin cost to enter the Ossuary)

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I skipped most of the thread. Shields still lack appeal.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The damage blocking aura after you get hit proves pretty invaluable in later levels where enemies just slap you around like a tennis ball. The game still has that strange tiny delay after you roll where you can't attack or roll again but also aren't invincible anymore, so I try not to rely entirely on rolling to get away from stuff.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
God drat running with 3 bomb items is just so satisfying.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So what the deal with with taking sections that require travel powers (the vine/teleport/etc) vs routes that don't require the travel powers? Is one way easier then the other?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yes and no. Different enemies. I think the difficulty scales with the number of stages visited.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Anyone's controllers not working anymore with the new update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

BexGu posted:

So what the deal with with taking sections that require travel powers (the vine/teleport/etc) vs routes that don't require the travel powers? Is one way easier then the other?

Yeah, that's the difficulty selection, basically, but the rewards also get better. It has nothing to do with amount of floors visited. Promenade is easy mode, Sewers is medium, Ossuary is hard (and got a lot harder with the beta update, though you also get to buy higher powered items in the transitional area again)