Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Angry Diplomat posted:

I once opened a cursed chest on a Brutality character and got a colourless S-tier Giant's Whistle :unsmigghh:

I’m still loving around on BC2 and I got one and didn’t know what it was and died before I ended up using it. :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

That's interesting. Does it automatically scale down for lower BCs or are you going to get full on BC5 level difficulty regardless?

It automatically scales down. Although even then, it's still the hardest, and I have never beat the Alchemist.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I wonder what percentage of players have even reached the very end

Feels like a lot of this stuff is made for 24/7 twitch speed runners

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

victrix posted:

I wonder what percentage of players have even reached the very end

Feels like a lot of this stuff is made for 24/7 twitch speed runners

Looking at trophies, on PlayStation at least only 1% of players have completed a 4BC run so is even less than that.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

And now the game is notably easier than it was on the 1.0 release. Basically BC0 was before something similar to BC1.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Well, BC0 is easier. BC4+ has gotten harder because the easy way to win (survival valmont's whip/lightning bolt/heavy crossbow, shield, necromancy, double powerful grenade) got nerfed out of the game four separate ways.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

No Wave posted:

Well, BC0 is easier. BC4+ has gotten harder because the easy way to win (survival valmont's whip/lightning bolt/heavy crossbow, shield, necromancy, double powerful grenade) got nerfed out of the game four separate ways.

Yeah, I was about to say... BC0 is unquestionably easier, but all the other BC levels seem about the same?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Magitek posted:

Yeah, I was about to say... BC0 is unquestionably easier, but all the other BC levels seem about the same?

BC1 and BC2 are easier too, at least, because changes in the health fountain.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I finished off BC4 and unlocked 5 just before the recent patch that rebalanced everything, and since then I haven't had a run make it past the Timekeeper. And BC4 and 5 are supposed to be identical as far as difficulty, it's just that 5 lets you reach the extra levels past HotK. So my single point of anecdotal data tells me that they've made the higher BCs even harder with that last patch. Or I'm just bad at games, which is also a valid hypothesis.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BobTheJanitor posted:

I finished off BC4 and unlocked 5 just before the recent patch that rebalanced everything, and since then I haven't had a run make it past the Timekeeper. And BC4 and 5 are supposed to be identical as far as difficulty, it's just that 5 lets you reach the extra levels past HotK. So my single point of anecdotal data tells me that they've made the higher BCs even harder with that last patch. Or I'm just bad at games, which is also a valid hypothesis.

Not having the S-rank gear tied to scrolls makes the start waaaaaay harder than before since you no longer have the health buffer those scrolls provided (if you had the forge leveled). It actually broke me so I went back to BC0 and bumped it up one after each completed run to get a feel for the game again with the new gear system.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah the very high difficulties are wildly harder now; I've been spinning my wheels trying to get anywhere

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
There's a new free DLC on the way: https://youtu.be/GQ3TH9eTvGo

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

There's a new free DLC on the way: https://youtu.be/GQ3TH9eTvGo

Not free DLC but an update (not that there is a difference), and yeah, we have known since last page :P

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Not free DLC but an update (not that there is a difference), and yeah, we have known since last page :P

Oh, I don't know how I missed that, whoops!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Hey friends. I just started playing this game yesterday. I've beaten it once now and will do new game + tomorrow.

How viable is my strategy of whip + wolf trap + the bleed trap + whatever else(flameband?)

I just like playing like it's castlevania

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RC Cola posted:

Hey friends. I just started playing this game yesterday. I've beaten it once now and will do new game + tomorrow.

How viable is my strategy of whip + wolf trap + the bleed trap + whatever else(flameband?)

I just like playing like it's castlevania

Most items are perfectly viable (at lower BC at least...), it's more a question of knowing the enemies and your skill with the controls.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Your "whatever else" should probably be a shield, but otherwise, you can basically do anything that works for you. If you keep going shieldless you'll eventually brickwall hard. Parrying is mandatory at high difficulties.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

This game is stupidly good. Just started playing it and I'm going full purple having found a dagger that goes with whatever's highest and crits from behind and a freeze blast attack that lets me roll around. It's only my second run, but it's really effective.

My question is regarding controls. I didn't like having the secondary attack be on X so I made it Left Trigger, setting up one of the Skills as X, which I'm not crazy about but I'm not sure what else I could do. I find that works better for shielding/ranged attacks but yeah, how does everyone else set-up or do you just go with the default?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I use the defaults. I thought about changing them once but at that point I was unable to overcome my muscle memory. It was a major custerfuck.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
So after 25 or so hours I fought Mama Tick, used the teleport ability, ended up in Mama Tick slashing away to the next phase where I ended up on the wrong side of the tentacle wall when the up shooty bit started and now it seems my whole save is hosed so I quit out to try and reset it.

Now I start it up and it just goes to the Mama Tick boss level, with it's health and my abilities on screen, but nothing else. Can't get any menus up, only thing I can do is alt+F4 to kill it.

gently caress.....

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I haven’t quite unlocked everything (plus I’m still hovering around BC2-3 so I know there’s stuff I can’t even touch yet but I’ll be damned if I can’t figure out how to use the wrenching whip (I think that’s what it’s called). I just can’t think of very many scenarios where I want to pull an enemy toward me, particularly at higher levels where they can immediately do catastrophic damage since the whip doesn’t seem to stun them usually. Am I crazy?

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
It sounds like a big deal, but it isn't that bad in practice since all the attacks are pretty fast and you can cancel out of any of them by rolling. The only iffy part is that the kick is kind of short-ranged, and unlike the whip the kick still counts as regular melee which doesn't pierce shields and will get you hit by Thornies. In exchange for that, you get two fast whip attacks with long-range which will pretty easily take care of any trash mobs, a kick that guaranteed crits and does do a little bit of knockback (enough to kick somebody standing on a cliff edge off the cliff), and the full combo of damage isn't too bad either.

I think there's better options available, but it works out fine even on higher difficulties. Especially if you get +% damage affixes or either the +100% damage given/taken or +300% damage given/taken; in the latter cases those first two fast whip strikes just explode enemies into giblets and you don't even need the kick.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Been playing for a few days now, usually dying to the first boss but I had this miracle run where I got awesome gear. Beat the poo poo out of first boss, blitzed through a couple more levels, crushed some other clock boss thing, then on the next level I dropped down into a room and just couldn't go anywhere. The platforms were too high so I just killed myself on a rotating ball trap. Bit of an anti climax. Have I missed a rune somewhere? I can take vines but not sarcophagi. At least I unlocked a lot of blueprints

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

100YrsofAttitude posted:

My question is regarding controls. I didn't like having the secondary attack be on X so I made it Left Trigger, setting up one of the Skills as X, which I'm not crazy about but I'm not sure what else I could do. I find that works better for shielding/ranged attacks but yeah, how does everyone else set-up or do you just go with the default?

I stuck with the default controls, and after something-hundred hours that control scheme is so ingrained that I usually have to rebind controls for any similar 2D game to match Dead Cells, or I keep messing up in those other games.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

el dingo posted:

Been playing for a few days now, usually dying to the first boss but I had this miracle run where I got awesome gear. Beat the poo poo out of first boss, blitzed through a couple more levels, crushed some other clock boss thing, then on the next level I dropped down into a room and just couldn't go anywhere. The platforms were too high so I just killed myself on a rotating ball trap. Bit of an anti climax. Have I missed a rune somewhere? I can take vines but not sarcophagi. At least I unlocked a lot of blueprints

Remind me, can you wall cling and double jump at the start? If you can't do those, it might be that you missed some runes.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

SlimGoodbody posted:

Remind me, can you wall cling and double jump at the start? If you can't do those, it might be that you missed some runes.

Wall cling is one of the last things you unlock, so if they don't have sarcophagi yet they almost certainly will not have wall cling.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I got sarcophagi after making that post. Googled everything, turns out I now have every rune except spider. Looks like a tricky one alright

Also I'm crap at parrying which will probably hinder me somewhat later on, really gotta work on that

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

el dingo posted:

Also I'm crap at parrying which will probably hinder me somewhat later on, really gotta work on that

Best way to force yourself to parry better is to do a shield only run. Do a custom run and take the spiked shield only (hopefully that's unlocked for you, I don't recall if that's hard to get) and then just get as far as you can. It does high enough damage that most normal enemies will bounce off it and die in one parry. You might also want a grenade or something to deal with target dummies, since I don't think you can kill them with just a shield any more. Used to be that just waving the shield at them would do minor damage until they died, but that seems to have changed at some point.

Also the parry window in this game is surprisingly generous, especially on the front end. I've had many situations where I know I parried too early, like the animation was clearly done before the enemy's swing connected, but it still counts. Just learn to watch the exclamation point and hit the button right then and you're good for 90% of enemies.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Yeah that's the cool thing about dead cells is the game is designed specifically to feel good. They made the platforming super sticky, like if it's good enough you just sort of make it, no worrying about pixel perfect crap.

Parrying is the same way. If they show you an exclamation point and you jam your shield button, you parry. Even if the enemy windup feels longer or shorter than others, ! = Parry.

I almost never do a no shield run because there is zero cooldown on parries. You can hurl yourself into maximum danger and play hyper aggressively because shields are so drat strong.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I was watching a dev stream recently and they were like 'yeah, no one on the team can beat BC5, wait, I think there was one guy before he left' or something like that :v:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

If they show you an exclamation point and you jam your shield button, you parry. Even if the enemy windup feels longer or shorter than others, ! = Parry.

Not to be too goony, but there are a few exceptions. A few enemies will charge you to attack, so the exclamation point isn't as reliable in those cases, since it will show up when they start their charge. If you're right next to them, sure, but since they're most likely charging you from across the screen you have to wait until they get close to parry. The same as ranged attacks, really. Rampagers are like this, but they're really easy to predict once you get the timing down. The normal non-exploding bats also have a charge attack, and for whatever reason they've always given me trouble. I still just dodge or try to kill them before they get a chance to charge, because I whiff parries on those more than any other enemy in the game. :v:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Some attacks are too fast to parry, like from the blue bird things, while others are straight unblockable like the shockwaves from those jumping guys. Both happen to be in the Caverns which I'm still not a fan of.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Yeah I wish they'd use a different indicator for un-parryable attacks. Like a different color of exclamation point, or maybe just some other shape entirely to avoid color blindness problems. It's a minor issue of poor conveyance in a game that's usually pretty good about that.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

Waffle! posted:

Some attacks are too fast to parry, like from the blue bird things, while others are straight unblockable like the shockwaves from those jumping guys.

The blue bird attacks are outright not parryable, which I guess is technically because it's an "earth shockwave"/ground-spike attack rather than a melee attack - but in that case, it's weird that you can roll through that attack, when other rocky-looking attacks from golems, Royal Guard/Hand of the King are very much not rollable.

The developers said during a recent AMA that they are hoping to improve the conveyance of things like non-rollable or non-parryable attacks, but it's been a couple of updates without any change in that regard so I don't think they're going to change it anytime soon.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
After several embarrassing runs I did well and got the spider rune, woo. I was only treating it as a practice run for parrying but unlocked ice shield along the way then rolled a broad sword with crit on frozen so that killed a lot of tougher enemies. Came across conjunctivitis for the first time and smashed him

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Conjunctivius is understandably hated by many for being such a motherfucker of a boss, but it's an excellent opportunity to hone your parrying reflexes. Both the charging slam and the projectile attacks can be parried, as can the screen-crossing tentacle slaps; I'm not sure about the vertical tentacle stabs or the electrocution aura, but it's usually easier/safer to dodge clear of those anyway, so they serve the secondary purpose of helping you learn when not to parry.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Conjunctivius is understandably hated by many for being such a motherfucker of a boss, but it's an excellent opportunity to hone your parrying reflexes. Both the charging slam and the projectile attacks can be parried, as can the screen-crossing tentacle slaps; I'm not sure about the vertical tentacle stabs or the electrocution aura, but it's usually easier/safer to dodge clear of those anyway, so they serve the secondary purpose of helping you learn when not to parry.

The vertical tentacles can be parried too. I was scared shitless by Conjunctivitis until I realized everything it does can be parried. Thay fight is a great parry-practice resource.

Also if you're not opposed to cheesing the game... if you die, while your body is ragdolling to the ground, you can exit the game, and when you resume the game you'll be back at the room before the room in which you died. So for example on Switch I practiced boss fights by dying, pressing the home button immediately, closing the app, loading it up again, and would be in the room before the boss. I'm pretty sure I better described the process a few montgs than ago in this thread while I was regularly playing the game - so search my posting history here if you're interested. As far as I know this cheese exists for all platforms the game is on.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If you’re going to cheese you can also just literally copy your save file before a tough fight. My problem is that once I start down that road I end up copying my save every five minutes.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I cleared it for the first time, woo. Used an electric whip and a frozen shield. Used to be poo poo at parrying, now I dunno how I'd clear without it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

el dingo posted:

I cleared it for the first time, woo. Used an electric whip and a frozen shield. Used to be poo poo at parrying, now I dunno how I'd clear without it

Welcome to shield club, brother.