Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

2nd time getting to the final boss and this time with a badass barrel launcher that actually damaged him but I cannot parry his attacks well enough. Is it about just getting better or am I better off trying to dodge the hell out of him? Any tools I should bring to bear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

2nd time getting to the final boss and this time with a badass barrel launcher that actually damaged him but I cannot parry his attacks well enough. Is it about just getting better or am I better off trying to dodge the hell out of him? Any tools I should bring to bear?

His three swipe attack is relatively easy to parry once you have the timing down; just remember the last swipe is slightly delayed.

I've found more success just ping-ponging back and forth between the ice platforms on either side of the arena, rolling through most of his attacks. Invincibility frames are definitely your friend here.

Doing the above and throwing down traps to cause DoT and getting some hits in when the opportunity presents itself is how I've dealt with HotK for the most part, other than the time I got a ridiculously overpowered colorless Nutcracker that just facetanked and demolished him.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Savescum to learn the fight imo. It is just not a rewarding process otherwise.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

No Wave posted:

Savescum to learn the fight imo. It is just not a rewarding process otherwise.

Yeah that's the Switch for you, unless there's a way to savescum that? Can I just quit mid-fight?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah that's the Switch for you, unless there's a way to savescum that? Can I just quit mid-fight?
Does the switch not have multiple save slots? The way I did it on PC was exit out before the fight and copy the save file to a new slot, then copy and overwrite the new slot again for another round of practice. It's not totally smooth and if Switch only has one save slot never mind.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

No Wave posted:

Does the switch not have multiple save slots? The way I did it on PC was exit out before the fight and copy the save file to a new slot, then copy and overwrite the new slot again for another round of practice. It's not totally smooth and if Switch only has one save slot never mind.

It has like 8 and yes this is the way to go. You can also quit and close the app after you die (but before the game shows the YOU DIED text) and it'll reload you in the last checkpoint (which may be the start of the fight or halfway, not sure how many checkpoints there are in the HOTK fight)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It has like 8 and yes this is the way to go. You can also quit and close the app after you die (but before the game shows the YOU DIED text) and it'll reload you in the last checkpoint (which may be the start of the fight or halfway, not sure how many checkpoints there are in the HOTK fight)

Oh man that’s great advice. I’m absolutely going to do that.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Opinion:

Weapons should scale with more than one attribute, but in different ways. Like Brutality giving you a bit more attack speed on a bow or something.

I hate finding fun stuff like Explosive Crossbows late into a run and just ignoring them because I can't reset my attributes.

e: I feel like it was a bit less of a problem before they randomly reworked the scaling, because right now it feels like the dual-colour scaling never changes how I play or anything, maybe I'm just stupid.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

e: I feel like it was a bit less of a problem before they randomly reworked the scaling, because right now it feels like the dual-colour scaling never changes how I play or anything, maybe I'm just stupid.

yes, the net effect of the scaling change was that a bunch of build diversity got removed for no reason and the number of boneheaded changes in patch notes preceded by "Community suggestion!" just tells me that I am just no longer who this game is for

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The scaling changes were nonsense. There are always idiots online who feign confusion when class/color identity isn't smooth and boring and overly literal and they're always meant to be ignored. How is the game made better by removing red from broadsword, four years after the game's been out? Is it really "confusing" to players that you could use it for both?

They're such a strange dev team. I was more or less done with the game so I don't really care but it's so odd to watch.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Got him on my second try. The first encounter, after not seeing him, it's struggling to keep up. If you can hit him again right after it's far more recognizable.

I used a War Spear and went all green. Fun weapon in a bit slow. No vertical range which is a bit bad for flying enemies.

So now what?

The game gets "harder" but what does that mean? If enemies just become HP sponges I don't want to be bothered because it just gets tedious, or do they just get genuinely faster and more unpredictable, because that also doesn't seem like a fun time.

The game is fun. The action is quick and fluid, and chaining attacks into each other is really satisfying, but it feels a touch mindless and repetitive after a bit. I can see myself revisiting it later, but with the muscle memory gone it may be a mess to get back into it (which is what happened with me on the C-sides of Celeste and final chapter). I don't think I can just focus solely on it until I go through enough cycles. It seems like that'll be long.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So now what?

The game gets "harder" but what does that mean? If enemies just become HP sponges I don't want to be bothered because it just gets tedious, or do they just get genuinely faster and more unpredictable, because that also doesn't seem like a fun time.

More levels unlock with new enemies, your forge grind rises to meet the challenge and sometimes results in brilliant builds, try different combos of equipment, discover more abilities/gear, kick rear end and get your rear end kicked.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

As long as the sense of action and pacing stays the same I’ll be satisfied. A lot of games think difficulty is hp sponges which isn’t fun or upping timing and precision which isn’t a skill I feel like developing anymore.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Does Dead Cells have cross save at all?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Got him on my second try. The first encounter, after not seeing him, it's struggling to keep up. If you can hit him again right after it's far more recognizable.

I used a War Spear and went all green. Fun weapon in a bit slow. No vertical range which is a bit bad for flying enemies.

So now what?

The game is fun. The action is quick and fluid, and chaining attacks into each other is really satisfying, but it feels a touch mindless and repetitive after a bit. I can see myself revisiting it later, but with the muscle memory gone it may be a mess to get back into it (which is what happened with me on the C-sides of Celeste and final chapter). I don't think I can just focus solely on it until I go through enough cycles. It seems like that'll be long.

https://deadcells.gamepedia.com/Boss_Stem_Cells

The wiki has a list of each boss stem cell change.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

https://deadcells.gamepedia.com/Boss_Stem_Cells

The wiki has a list of each boss stem cell change.

Thanks for this. It looks bearable enough through to 2BSC. Past that though... I'll see how long/if I keep up with it because like I said it is fun to play despite these mechanics.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
There are mods (hopefully that still work with new versions, or have been updated) that make all the content accessible at any BC level, so you might want to check those out and just enjoy playing at BC0-1 with all the content that you otherwise couldn't get without going higher.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

100YrsofAttitude posted:

However, are you expected to just keep switching weapons, as some get weaker? They play so differently that it can really ruin a good flow.

You are, and I agree that it's a bit of a flaw in the game. Some method to level up your chosen weapon wouldn't be a bad option, so you don't have to keep swapping around when you never get an upgraded version. That can throw off build synergy for sure.

What you can do is a custom run and only enable specific weapons, equipment and mutations that you want to use. That way you're practically guaranteed to get regular upgrades throughout the run. It can lock you out from achievements, but that shouldn't be a big deal unless you just really can't live without 100% completion on a game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eGJmv3Zr7M

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The DLC will come out in three days. It looks very interesting, with weapons like intelilgent swords, lamps that steal enemy souls at melee and throw them as ranged weapons, enemies like the guy who can resurrect other enemies, etc.
Dead Cells music is underrated, btw. Listen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oiyiEpautc

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turin Turambar posted:

The DLC will come out in three days. It looks very interesting, with weapons like intelilgent swords, lamps that steal enemy souls at melee and throw them as ranged weapons, enemies like the guy who can resurrect other enemies, etc.
Dead Cells music is underrated, btw. Listen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oiyiEpautc

Dead Cells has probably the most forgettable soundtrack of any game I've played in years, but that song is alright.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think the soundtrack is really well done. The castle is nice and hype, but this one's probably my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JO11kms23k

Very appropriate music for the kind of game it is.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 23, 2021

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
I’m bad so I’m used to hearing the first level song a lot. Which, owns btw.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Acerbatus posted:

Dead Cells has probably the most forgettable soundtrack of any game I've played in years

This is a weird assertion to me. I could understand not liking the soundtrack on its own merits, although I think it's pretty good. But I can't understand calling it forgettable, simply because almost every track has an obvious central melody that it's built around. That's the obvious quick trick to make your music memorable, since it will likely stick in a listener's head long after they stop hearing it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The music in slumbering sanctuary owns.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

God drat listening to the music now and yeah this level is the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyrjsMoe6Nc

music going into overdrive around 2:12 hell yeah

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The music in slumbering sanctuary owns.

Yeah it sucks that the yanking golems ruin that level. Everything else about it is top notch, but those guys are just so awful that it becomes nearly unplayable.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BobTheJanitor posted:

This is a weird assertion to me. I could understand not liking the soundtrack on its own merits, although I think it's pretty good. But I can't understand calling it forgettable, simply because almost every track has an obvious central melody that it's built around. That's the obvious quick trick to make your music memorable, since it will likely stick in a listener's head long after they stop hearing it.

I'm not that musically knowledgeable so I can't really comment too well, but even having played a hundred hours of dead cells I cannot recall a single central melody, they all just sound like generic fantasy songs.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Skul: The Hero Slayer is quite a fun little roguelike. The reason I mention it is because you can play as the prisoner from Dead Cells!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think the music is 'medieval' but the particular use of guitars and the way it uses chorus it makes it pretty unique. Like, I would never confuse this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLtS7qb1q2Q&t=44shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7qVu_NXojs&t=53s
with another soundtrack of another game.

The devs are streaming the dlc here
https://twitch.tv/motion_twin

I've seen previously another video in Youtube. The new weapons that I could see for now:

Iron staff: first hit parries melee hits. The combo inflicts critical hits after a successful parry.
Snake fangs: teleports you to the nearest target. Poisons victims. Inflict critical hits if the target has more than 5 poison marks.
Scarecrow's sickles: item, not a weapon. They fly doing a 8 around you and come back to you automatically. Inflicts increasingly several critical hits after each hit.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Looking forward to this (on Nintendo Switch!), wish it had cross-save though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

DLC is out. After three attempts I still haven't seen the new levels. Three respective curse chests are the ones to blame.

:(

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I will say at least that the chiptune alternative soundtrack is not all that great. It's not bad, just serviceable at best. There's nothing that stands out about it. I feel like they made a mistake by trying to keep too many of the subtleties of the original music in it, which ends up frequently sounding like a confused muddle. The whole point of doing the old school 8-bit style music is that you have to cut your music down to the most bare bones version while still making it good. And usually that means you have to go hard on your central melody while throwing in some occasional percussion-ish sounds, and that's about it. The old systems that the style imitates had pretty limited sound chips, so a strong melody was all you had to hang your theme on. And that's why I can say 'super mario bros theme' and anyone who's every played it gets the first 7 notes stuck in their head immediately.

Ironic, since the sountrack is so good at memorable melodies in the normal music.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

DLC is out. After three attempts I still haven't seen the new levels. Three respective curse chests are the ones to blame.

:(

I just set curse from chests to 0 in the custom game options after the game killed me through a parry, it’s cheating but the game’s way better without curses

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERbtq7Wp_xo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW84Vykp85w

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Their animated trailers are never anything less than excellent. I love how they always tell a bit of a goofy story.

This video drove me a little crazy because of how he called every new thing a 'weapon'. I want to know what's a weapon and what's an item, come on man. Also the background gameplay takes so many hits and doesn't pick up scrolls and that makes me wince every time.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I just set curse from chests to 0 in the custom game options after the game killed me through a parry, it’s cheating but the game’s way better without curses

This is highly subjective, of course, but I'd argue that leaving cursed chests on makes for a better game. And I've lost many many runs to stupid little hits while cursed. But the feeling of being one scratch from death while the game does its best to lure you into bad situations is kind of fun. And the relief when you finally clear it is almost worth the pain.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

This video drove me a little crazy because of how he called every new thing a 'weapon'. I want to know what's a weapon and what's an item, come on man. Also the background gameplay takes so many hits and doesn't pick up scrolls and that makes me wince every time.

I think it is

Weapons
Iron Staff
Snake Fangs
Serenade
Ferryman's Lantern

items
Lightning Rods
Scarecrow's Sickles
Cocoon

quote:

This is highly subjective, of course, but I'd argue that leaving cursed chests on makes for a better game. And I've lost many many runs to stupid little hits while cursed. But the feeling of being one scratch from death while the game does its best to lure you into bad situations is kind of fun. And the relief when you finally clear it is almost worth the pain.

IMO, curses are one of the things that Hades does better. There are more variety of them, and they aren't as frustratingly hard and at the same time uninteresting as 'be hit once and game over'. Yes, I have a huge relief once I kill the 10 enemies, but it's a type of dumb relief, of surpassing I situation I didnt like in the first place.
Although the other day I saw a rule in the custom mode to avoid that, and instead stay at 1hp, which at least it's slightly less harsh. I have to try it.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The fun of curses for me is that once you get enough experience with the enemies you should be able to avoid every single one of their attacks. So it becomes a test of how well you can execute on that. The tricky part comes when you get surrounded by too many things at once and reacting to everything without just panic rolling to your death needs some real git gud-ing. (Not that I'm a super pro gamer, I end up dead more often than not in this scenario, but when I survive it feels great) Or when you get sniped by a ranged attack from offscreen. Those damned blob monsters in the prison depths. :argh:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ok, I reach again the new level, I got two new blueprints, I'm doing it fine... then I find this

Oh you drat game, tempting me this way!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yeah it sucks that the yanking golems ruin that level. Everything else about it is top notch, but those guys are just so awful that it becomes nearly unplayable.

Oh god, the golem. I played 115 hours and I still get nervous when they appear, making even more probable that I will fumble and fail.
Now that I think about it, I should search if there is some mod to train against him. Like the starting prison level full of golems.

edit: you know what, the game's big variety of enemies is starting to be an issue, at least for the less hardcore players. After adding more in free updates and dlcs, I'm starting to have problems in remembering the special properties of each. Slammers can't be parried, golem's slam can't be dodge rolled, the crab guy can parry ranged attacks, this guy can jump to other platforms, this other one can but only to platforms above, not below, etc.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
The new areas are pretty rad, especially the second one. The boss afterward is neat too. Some of the new enemies are pretty tricky.