Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I tried to make myself a little guide to enemies special attacks:

Source is the wiki https://deadcells.gamepedia.com/Dead_Cells_Wiki

Things that Cannot be parried or rolled, but it can be blocked or jumped
Impaler spikes

Sweeper fire wave

Things that Cannot be parried, but it can be blocked or rolled
Tentacles piercing strike (unsure)

Dancer stabs and backstab

Stone Warden telluric stomp (unsure)
(no gif for onw)

Things that Cannot be blocked or parried, but it can be rolled
Bomber dive attack

Librarian magic beam

Grounnd Shaker Avalanche

Things that Cannot be parried, rolled or blocked
Shocker aura

Golem slam & grapple teleport

Royal guard leap (slam)

Slammer ice spikes

Ground Shaker Swipe shockwave (the melee attack itself can be blocked, parried etc but not the shockwave)

Skeleton stomp

Extra:
Catcher hook and Demolisher crossbow can be crouched
Lacerator spin protects him from projectiles
Ground Shaker are invulnerable from behind
Weirded Warrior can block ranged projectiles
Skeletons are immune to CC
Slammers are immune to stun
Ground shaker are immune to stun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

And this is the new biome paths, it was confusing just reading in text without being able to see it on a map:

*Fractured Shrines, not fractures. Oh whatever.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I think the sword pet serenade needs more time in the oven. The nice thing about the other pets is that they're passive, just summon and forget. So when they said a new pet for brutality, I was imagining something similar. Serenade is the complete opposite, requiring constant babysitting and changing your entire playstyle around, and almost making your normal weapon redundant. (assuming it doesn't bug out and actually delete your weapon, which I've had a few times)

And the playstyle is confusing at best. Let it fly around and mark things, but then you have to grab it to kill things, but then you have to let it go again to mark things more, and if you run out of things to kill for too long it disappears. It's just janky. Not to mention the fact that the game has forever had a built in function to keep you from using an item while doing certain things. I'm not even sure what all triggers it, but if you've played for any length of time you know the 'bzzzt' noise that plays when you're trying to toss out an item and the game has arbitrarily decided that you're not doing it right. So serenade requires you to constantly activate an item while in the middle of combat.... bzzzt bzzzt bzzzt bzzzt gently caress I'm dead.

Also unrelated bug, it seem like colorless and legendary items aren't scaling correctly. I've run into cases where I have a weapon rank IV or whatever, find a legendary of the exact same thing that's even a rank higher and it's still got lower stats. Makes those guaranteed legendary doors in the new level pretty useless.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I only played twice with Serenade, and in one of them I wasn't building Brutality, so I still can't form a good opinion. But I will say that NOT being 'passive, summon and forget' is good, not bad. As you point out, they have already done that (normal, passive pets), and they try to not repeat themselves with gear.
You call it janky, I call it interesting, having to constantly change between the two modes. It makes for a higher skill needed, although maybe the payoff in terms of pure efficiency for the skill needed isn't there (other abilities are simpler and make the same damage). In that regard maybe it needs a buff, but that's a different issue (balance) than game design.

It's clear at this point they are more interested in doing complex skills than 'press button to do X damage' abilities, in that regard Dead Cells progression remind me of MOBA games, where at first the characters are simple too, but as years pass by, they add more and more characters with complex mechanics.
edit: same with the lantern, to point out another new weapon. A melee weapon that turns ranged with limited ammo taken by killing enemies.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 29, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh yeah, careful with the sickles, they may fly around and hit locked doors that curse you... it just happened to me :/

By the way, I like the new trap, the hidden log. So fun when an enemy goes out flying through the screen!

edit: I didn't do a screenshot in time, but I beat my own record in number of enemies killed without being hit: 93, in Morass of the Banished. The combo was spiked boots + ice armor, completed first with the Sickles, later with Mushroom boy.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 29, 2021

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

I only played twice with Serenade, and in one of them I wasn't building Brutality, so I still can't form a good opinion. But I will say that NOT being 'passive, summon and forget' is good, not bad. As you point out, they have already done that (normal, passive pets), and they try to not repeat themselves with gear.

OK, but they can have more than one thing. They can have a high APM brutality item that requires babysitting, AND a passive pet. As it stands, they have added a 'pet' to one color that is nothing like the two existing pets, and will now likely not bother adding a pet-like pet because they've already got one (except they don't).

Anyway, it keeps eating my weapons so I'm going to bench it for a while until they patch the hell out of it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I got today the katana (yeah I had a pair of weapons from the last few updates still pending). It's... pretty OP? High DPS, and very quick attack animations, both the initial attack and the whole combo. You don't even need to use the dash for the crit, the normal attack already melts enemies!
I guess no one said anything because gamers are all weaboos. :P

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have made a new mod. Here it is
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2377606063

quote:

The Complete Dead Cells Experience for Everyone
AKA "BC3 made easy", AKA 'if you are hardcore player who plays on BC4 this mod isn't for you'

I have made a few mods for Dead Cells before, tweaking the difficulty to make it easier, decreasing the grind, unlocking enemies for lower difficulties, etc. This time, I'm picking the BC3/Expert difficulty and I'm making it easier, as BC1/Hard mode.

But why? Why shouldn't I play BC1 if that's what I want??

Because there are a few advantages/features you obtain by picking BC3 in the difficulty selector. Like:

-Increased cell gain (otherwise I would have to add it as a feature in the mod too)
-Bigger enemy variety (very important for me)
-New paths between biomes (like going from Forgotten Sepulcher to the Giant boss)
-More forge tiers available to progress
-More cell doors to open in the levels, which also can have more fights
-You need to play BC3 to obtain Acceptance mutation
-Scrolls fragments to pick
-More skins to unlock

All together, it makes the definitive Dead Cells experience. Obviously, this mod is done for people who aren't good enough to play BC3 normally, or want a more casual experience.

Changes:
-Enemies, gear level and fountain work like in BC1.
-I lowered the starting amulet from level 6 to 2, to not make it too easy.
-You have the extra elite and the extra enemy density that correspond to BC3, bosses and elites have +14% hp (for reerence, in BC1 bosses have +10%hp and elite have +0%).

Additionally I have included a few QoL and extra re-balance tweaks like:

-Increased blueprint drop chance (the rarer bluprints had a ridiculous low chance), Now it is 15% common, 8% uncommon, 4% rare, 2.5% legendary drop rates.
-Slightly easier timed door and perfect kill doors (10% easier perfect kill doors, so 54 instead of 60 kills).
-Unlocked a few skins that needed BC4 before.
-Vampirism item slightly buffed (way too risky in my hands) .
-Lowered curse when breaking a door (although it's still higher than a curse chest).
-Cheaper mutations reset cost.
-Slightly nerfed katana (very small, around 7% less base damage, 5% less breach bonus).
-Reduced Hunter's Grenade price in 300g.

Testing showed that changing the enemies to BC1 made it relatively easy (as you gain extra scrolls here thanks to the scroll fragments). That's why I'm introducing a new change to decrease your power and make things more balanced:

-Shop items have one less tier (only +1 above the current biome tier, instead of +2)

In exchange of that, I've tried to make so you can shop around more, with these changes:
-1 extra reroll in shop
-100g gained extra on elites killed
-Smaller increase in price after shop rerolling, 20% instead of 40%

I may change the enemy level to a somewhat middle point between BC1 and BC2 to properly balance it, if this isn't enough. We will see.

I also have made BC1 and BC2 as easy as BC0 so low level players can get to BC3 in the first place and enjoy the mod.

You can combine this mod with your own custom game rules to still further customize the difficulty of the game, both lower or higher.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Anyone know if there's still a working mod to access the Astrolab at lower difficulties? The one on the workshop doesn't do anything any more, and I'm tired of endlessly grinding BC5 and having 90% of my runs die before even reaching the castle. I'm ready to admit that the difficulty changes have just made BC5 too much of a pain in the rear end for me to deal with, but I would still kind of like to see the rest of the game. :argh:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

Anyone know if there's still a working mod to access the Astrolab at lower difficulties? The one on the workshop doesn't do anything any more, and I'm tired of endlessly grinding BC5 and having 90% of my runs die before even reaching the castle. I'm ready to admit that the difficulty changes have just made BC5 too much of a pain in the rear end for me to deal with, but I would still kind of like to see the rest of the game. :argh:

Months ago I used one, I guess it's the one you say it doesn't work anymore?

...no wait, if I actually got to the Astrolab 4 days ago. So it's still working. This one
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1699403562

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Huh, I tried that just recently and after killing HotK I just had the normal 5 cell door and no way to get past it. Guess I'll reinstall and try it again. :shrug:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

Huh, I tried that just recently and after killing HotK I just had the normal 5 cell door and no way to get past it. Guess I'll reinstall and try it again. :shrug:

You remember how you had to progress to the next level right? The door won't open. You have to jump down in that area.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

You remember how you had to progress to the next level right? The door won't open. You have to jump down in that area.

Uh, jump down where? There wasn't anything to jump down to. Just the normal boss arena, the game end fountain thing, and that last room with the 5 BC door and a little pool of water below it. Which I did poke around in, but there's nothing there but water.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

Uh, jump down where? There wasn't anything to jump down to. Just the normal boss arena, the game end fountain thing, and that last room with the 5 BC door and a little pool of water below it. Which I did poke around in, but there's nothing there but water.

I just made a run to be sure I was right. Here, jump down twice:

Try to delete and subscribe again the mod, just in case.

edit: Astrolab is a great level, the mod is of obligatory use for most fans, imo.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 1, 2021

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Yeah I'll try it again. I was ground pounding in that pool for a few minutes before I finally gave up. Must not have installed right.

Edit: Turns out I'm an idiot and didn't even have mods enabled. In my paltry defense, the game hides the option at the bottom of one of the settings menus, and nothing even tells you that you have to mess with the options to make mods work. I'd foolishly assumed it was like most other games where if you install a mod, that means it's, you know, installed.

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 3, 2021

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Started to get used to using shields, I'm still on 1BC but I've gotten hooked on this game again, I hadn't played much since the Rise of the Giant came out and I rebought it on Switch where I much prefer it.

There's so drat much stuff to unlock now, Holy hell.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Flipswitch posted:

There's so drat much stuff to unlock now, Holy hell.

That's kind of a good thing, though. Unlocking stuff can be pretty fun. Even mediocre roguelikes tend to entice me to keep playing them as long as there's some new thingy waiting on the horizon. The test of a good roguelike, for me, is whether I keep playing after unlocking the last thing or just immediately drop it. And if I stop with things still not unlocked, it must be a really bad one.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah it is something I do like, it's just a lot of cells!

I am struggling to get up HOTK on 1BC though. My positioning and item knowledge needs work.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
GOD loving DAMMIT

I've put 62 hours of playtime into this according to Steam, and I JUST reached HotK for the second time ever since I bought it. He just wiped the floor with me again. Who are these mutants talking about 2bc, 3bc, 4bc playthroughs? Jesus christ, how the hell do I beat this idiot?!!?

Arr. Sorry, obviously I just lost seconds ago and I'm still frustrated. But I don't understand! I'm not too bad at video games, I feel. This shouldn't be impossible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Floodixor posted:

GOD loving DAMMIT

I've put 62 hours of playtime into this according to Steam, and I JUST reached HotK for the second time ever since I bought it. He just wiped the floor with me again. Who are these mutants talking about 2bc, 3bc, 4bc playthroughs? Jesus christ, how the hell do I beat this idiot?!!?

Arr. Sorry, obviously I just lost seconds ago and I'm still frustrated. But I don't understand! I'm not too bad at video games, I feel. This shouldn't be impossible.

Most likely what is happening is that you are getting anxious because it was only your second time to the boss, combined with the boss having a bit of a learning curve. Just remember that every run is progress and you'll finish it before you know it. Most people take a while to beat the HotK for the first time and then it becomes second nature.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Floodixor posted:

GOD loving DAMMIT

Complaining on the forums usually helps in some karmic way. Really I don't know how to beat him without a shield, and BC 3 still escapes me. You can parry each of his sword swings, it's just getting the timing right for the third one. Don't forget to change up your mutations before the fight, if you're still using Necromancy beforehand or something.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I griped about how bullshit HotK was and then had a run shortly after where I completely melted him. Prayer works.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Floodixor posted:

GOD loving DAMMIT

Well, if this is only the second time you reach the final boss, first you should get good enough to reach to him in most of you runs. The 'kill the hotk' is a goal for later. Don't be surprised if you need more than 15 tries against him, he represents a high difficulty spike.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
On BC0 with the forge maxed out usually I can DPS race him about half the time without using a shield or even learning his patterns much.

I also don't feel any guilt about save scumming to repeat the boss. It's a single player game. Whatever.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I just maxed the first stage of the forge but struggle to get to the hand on 1BC.

I got to the cavern and got bodybagged in seconds by a ground shaker.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

There's a few things that might help with HotK. One, redo your mutations before going in there. Any 'on kill' stuff is going to do almost nothing for you. You're unlikely to win a dps race against him unless you have a truly broken build, so defensive mutations are probably the best investment. Like the one that reduces trap damage can help, if you're getting knocked into the side pits a lot. Or dead inside, or that invulnerable shield before death one that I forget the name of.

Also try to remember that his patterns are absolutely designed to gently caress with your timing. Pretty much every attack comes out slower than you think it will, so learning to delay your rolls/parries can help. Some of his attacks are timed so you can't always roll through everything, like the 3-swing combo that he always starts with. If you're trying it without a shield (why would you do this), or you're just panic rolling, you have to roll the first attack, jump the second, then roll the third in that combo.

But really a lot of it just comes down to learning the fight. Which is why I'd always recommend just save scumming him for practice. Quit out right before him, copy save 1 to save 2 from the menu, then load one of them and go fight. Then when you die, quit out, copy the backup save over the first one, and go again and again as long as it takes to get a good feel for the fight.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I actually just managed to beat him after I posted and onto 2BC! I had Electric Whip the Barrel Cannon, Sinew Slicer and Laceration and just damaged him insanely quickly.

I've yet to fight the Scarecrow at all so I should probably go there at some point.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

I really appreciate how the reply from this thread was really sweet and encouraging. Aw, thanks, ya'll. :unsmith:

I actually just got to HotK again, after which he killed me in about 8 seconds, but hey, gotta keep truckin'. Also, I didn't know you could do that savescumming thing. I didn't know you could really fenagle it to "save" at all! I shall try that when I next meet the king. Thanks, thread. You are kind.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

I read up on savescumming - is there a way to do it where I don't have to actually copy files and whatnot? I know that I can exit the game at the boss fight, but I've just been using that one save slot for my whole game, so if I select a new one, it's just that - completely new without any of my fancy things. I feel like dumb for not understanding it - can someone explain it to a freakin' idiot like me? Thanks!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Floodixor posted:

I read up on savescumming - is there a way to do it where I don't have to actually copy files and whatnot? I know that I can exit the game at the boss fight, but I've just been using that one save slot for my whole game, so if I select a new one, it's just that - completely new without any of my fancy things. I feel like dumb for not understanding it - can someone explain it to a freakin' idiot like me? Thanks!

As far as I know, you have to copy the files. You can do a zip with them, and extract it overwriting the current versions to 'restore' it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Would you guys advise clearing the giant on 1bc and getting the blueprints from his areas? I usually get murdered up there and am not sure how well I'd fare without upgrading the forge (only finished the first bar) before starting 2BC. Same for the Scarecrow and Serenade etc.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Floodixor posted:

Turin Turambar posted:

As far as I know, you have to copy the files. You can do a zip with them, and extract it overwriting the current versions to 'restore' it.
Main menu there's a "Save: Slot 1" button. Click on it and you'll go to a menu that has a copy button. Copy slot 1 to slot 2. You can then die or whatever on slot 1 and copy slot 2 back over it to go back to where you were pre-scum.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Oh hot DOG, there we go! Thanks, ya'll. I'll work on getting to HotK again and save it there.

I found that I've been ending up leaning mainly on brutality builds with the items below (and keep in mind this is a BC1 run, obviously):

Melee/Brutality:
Swift Sword (I use the Velocity mutation so I'm always getting crits with this, plus I usually had a modifier where it's shooting out an arrow toward as well as up, both giving pretty good damage by late stage)
Meat Skewer (I think it's called that)
Valmont Whip
Vorpan, but I usually don't hang onto it by the end of the game because there's easier ways to get reliable crits instead of having to face the enemy
Maybe the crowbar

Ranged/Tactics:
Electric Whip, but I have to luck out on modifiers for it to really gently caress things up right
Oh my god is that all I use in this category?!

Survival:
no thank u

Mutations:
Armadillo Pack: I'm SO BAD with shields, so having a parry every time I roll is perfect
Velocity
Combo, usually

The problem with the above is that only one of those mutations is in the Brutality field, so maybe I'm not doing it wisely. Anyway, I'd love to know some of ya'll's preferred items.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Tactics build with Assassin's Dagger/any shield/Phaser/Corrupted Strength, and the mutation that makes you briefly invisible when you kill an enemy :unsmigghh:

e: against the HotK I find I pretty much want to take 2 or 3 colourless mutations anyway. Disengagement + Dead Inside makes a loving enormous difference in survivability.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

e: against the HotK I find I pretty much want to take 2 or 3 colourless mutations anyway. Disengagement + Dead Inside makes a loving enormous difference in survivability.

In an extremely weird decision by the developers, as of latest versions Dead Inside went from being a default unlock to only being dropped by the High Peak Castle Lancers on 4 or 5 BC difficulty... but if you carried over a save file from the older version where it was a default unlock, then you keep the mutation and just have it as an option. So, for newer players just getting started in recent versions, Dead Inside isn't an option.

What is an option is the aforementioned Disengagement, which isn't perfect protection but is still pretty good, as is Gastronomy or Extended Healing (if you want to make sure to arrive at HoTK with full health) or Soldier's Endurance / Vengeance if you want to take less damage to the boss himself.

What equipment you bring to the boss is a combination of whether you want to just outright do more damage to him, or have some safety against him, and of course obviously what you find in shops/chests too, if you're playing on Normal mode. Some good safety options are Magnetic Grenade, Wave of Denial or Tornado (gets rid of his annoying bomb toss attack and reflects it back at him, so you can save the ice platforms for some other attack); Wings of the Crow lets you float above the guy and he's helpless to attack you, and Ice Armor or Tonic are also quite helpful for either negating hits every now and then, or giving you some more temporary HP to tank some damage.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Hey! After 88 hours of play time, I beat HotK finally! :gbsmith:

Man. And I was only able to do it by saving my state right before the last fight. I had to reload it about 10 times before I got it right. I still think that making the player play for ~45 minutes to get to a last fight that completely ramps up the difficulty and can end in 5 seconds for EVERY TRY is completely loving stupid.

And on my first 1BC playthrough, I got to the high castle! That's pretty good, I think!

That said, I love this game. So now it's 1BC. I still haven't beaten the scarecrow or gone to the cavern etc etc, but I'm sure I will one day.

Floodixor fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 27, 2021

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Congrats! The Scarecrow is a really fun boss but she ramps the gently caress up on her second/third phase and wiped the floor with me the first time I tried to fight her.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What, did you think Dead Cells was finally a complete game? Think again!
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/588650/view/3025827991046259520

quote:

**TLDR of the changes** :
* 3 big, heavy, f-off weapons
* 3 damage-focused mutations
* Altered the difficulty curve ( **work in progress** )
* The Collector’s Intern - spend your cells in 5BC!
* A fix to stop all seed error crashes. We hope...
* Malaise balancing and UI
* Fatal Falls balancing
* UI & QoL improvements
* A ton of bug fixes (yes, including the Me, Jealous? Achievement not triggering)

* Random diet option

New mutations

**Execution ( *colourless* )** - Instantly kill enemies with under 5% health (scales up to 15%) when you hit them with a weapon. Applies to bosses, *for now* ...

**Barbed Tips ( *Tactics* )** - Inflict X damage per second to enemies, per arrows stuck in them.

**Point Blank ( *Tactics* )** - Close range attacks inflict X% bonus damage.

Balancing

Legendary items now scale based on the sum of your two highest stats. Also, Legendary status no longer increases the item level. This is very subject to change and there is no visual indication of the changes yet, so bear this in mind please.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

quote:

BC0: Health fountains in every transition.
BC1: Health fountain every other transition, with one minor flask when the fountain is missing.
BC2: No more health fountain, one minor flask in every transition.
BC3: One minor flask after the first boss and before the second.
BC4: No more health in any transition, enemies teleport to your position.
BC5: No more health, enemies teleport, malaise added.
This is a good change and a better difficulty curve. Malaise only showing up in BC5 makes a lot of sense to me, it's a necessary mechanic for hardcore players but not needed before then.

The intern for BC5 is a very good change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Was Malaise at 4BC before then?

That seems like an even difficulty curve and should help me get past 2BC if I'm reading it correctly.