Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

They are a good thing to have against the fat guys if you aren't strong enough to stun and don't have a freeze. Much more reliable than dodging Just because you stay put.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I have no idea how to use shields in a fun way. Seems garbage that you pretty much have to wait for the enemy to attack to gain any utility from them.

How does the force field even work? Take a hit with the shield equipped, get a force field that lasts (time until next enemy attacks minus 0.1 seconds)?

After playing more since I said all shields are trash, that short force field actually seems like the main draw to me. Most of my deaths come from not approaching a large group of enemies with enough caution, and the complete lack of invincibility frames seems like an intentional design choice. If you have a shield you'll have the brief invulnerability which is enough to keep from instantly getting juggled to death if you mess up, so you have to weigh that against having a useful ranged weapon. I don't think it's really enough for me to take a shield over even the starter bow, but at least it's something. Maybe there are enemies in the areas I haven't visited where parrying is actually useful, can't really say yet.

The assault shield in particular seems good if you're trying for the timed doors and sprinting past everything. You can do a weird roll + shield bash that's probably a bug, but takes you about three times as far as a normal roll and lets you get through levels much faster than you would normally be able to.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Made it to the final boss and was in his last form, but I only had 2 healing flasks unlocked so I ran out of healing on his final form :smith:

I was at least supremely OP :unsmith:

Also why the gently caress is the prison depths harder than the ossuary?

Jeesis fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 16, 2017

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Jeesis posted:

Made it to the final boss and was in his last form, but I only had 2 healing flasks unlocked so I ran out of healing on his final form :smith:

I was at least supremely OP :unsmith:

Also why the gently caress is the prison depths harder than the ossuary?

The prison depths originally came after the Ossuary. It always was one rude area.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
This game is super fun, but gently caress flying enemies. Why is air combat such garbage? I basically can't kill the stupid vampire flying things in ramparts without a ranged weapon which targets the closest enemy

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Fire and poison work OK.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

Sweeper posted:

This game is super fun, but gently caress flying enemies. Why is air combat such garbage? I basically can't kill the stupid vampire flying things in ramparts without a ranged weapon which targets the closest enemy

This and some weapons straight up not being able to hit if you stand on the same tile as an enemy I feel need to be fixed. Throwing bombs in their faces usually works, if you lack bombs then wait for them to hopefully get close to the ground.

Double magnetic grenades need to be nerfed holy gently caress. Their pull is so strong that not even loot can escape it.
The enemy under the platform got yanked off where they were standing and forced to grind under the platform before being dropped.

Also, I got really lucky with RNG one day

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Jeesis posted:

This and some weapons straight up not being able to hit if you stand on the same tile as an enemy I feel need to be fixed. Throwing bombs in their faces usually works, if you lack bombs then wait for them to hopefully get close to

Also, I got really lucky with RNG one day

Is this 10 or 20 kills to lift the curse?

In ramparts specifically you end up in rooms with like 15 of those flying guys at once if you drop unluckily and the stun wrecks you instantly

I also loving love the 2x damage assassin knife

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

Sweeper posted:

Is this 10 or 20 kills to lift the curse?

In ramparts specifically you end up in rooms with like 15 of those flying guys at once if you drop unluckily and the stun wrecks you instantly

I also loving love the 2x damage assassin knife

It stacked so was 20 curse. Thinking of doing a run where I rack up as much curse as possible and play super conservatively.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Finally dug into this game after getting it in Steam Sale. It, uh, owns pretty hard. I love Bloodborne and this game has the same level of speed and violence that really resonates with me. Working on digging up more blueprints for the unlocks but I got most of the common ones so a lot of the time I don't find any at all now. But I'm getting there :black101: And I can tell I'm getting comfortable with this game since I'm not super afraid of cursed chests anymore either (I also have a couple wins under my belt so I don't really care if I die).

But I do have some thoughts:
1) Is it me, or are the challenge rooms unreasonably difficult? After like 20 attempts I finally cleared one... for ten cells and a chest. And I needed to have a double-damage assassin's blade and a bunch of strength just in order to have enough damage output to clear it in time. And you have to not take damage. So those are just going to be a skip for me from now on. Maybe they'll make more types of challenge rooms in the future.
2) I get that the Watcher is the end-boss right now, but holy moley I hope he gets a HP nerf when they add content past him. That fight sucks and takes way too long. I had higher hopes for him too since Incomplete One is a really fun boss that feels "just right."
3) gently caress the Prison Depths. I haven't even tried Ossuary yet because I had so much trouble with Prison Depths. Those vampire bat spawner dealies can gently caress off forever, I hate them!!

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 18, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

RyokoTK posted:

But I do have some thoughts:
1) Is it me, or are the challenge rooms unreasonably difficult? After like 20 attempts I finally cleared one... for ten cells and a chest. And I needed to have a double-damage assassin's blade and a bunch of strength just in order to have enough damage output to clear it in time. And you have to not take damage. So those are just going to be a skip for me from now on. Maybe they'll make more types of challenge rooms in the future.

The devs have recently said they're unhappy with the state of challenge rooms as well and plan to change them soon. For now you're right, they're not really worth the effort given how little payoff there is. Maybe they could add in a blueprint for the first time you complete it and then a guaranteed power scroll afterwards, the regular chest they have now might not even have anything you want and you stop caring about dead cells past a certain point.

quote:

2) I get that the Watcher is the end-boss right now, but holy moley I hope he gets a HP nerf when they add content past him. That fight sucks and takes way too long. I had higher hopes for him too since Incomplete One is a really fun boss that feels "just right."

Depends how many scrolls you get up to that point, really. If you have 10 or so strength by that point he's not too hard, lower than that and the fight does drag a bit. Balancing bosses seems difficult given how the scrolls work but Watcher doesn't seem like that much of a problem to me right now.

quote:

3) gently caress the Prison Depths. I haven't even tried Ossuary yet because I had so much trouble with Prison Depths. Those vampire bat spawner dealies can gently caress off forever, I hate them!!

They're annoying, but it's worth grinding that area at least until you get the War Spear drop from the mechanical spiders. Probably tied for best weapon in the game that I have so far tied with the Shovel, but there are still a few blueprints I'm missing.

Until they develop the game further I've done everything besides playing certain areas over and over to grind specific blueprints with low drop rates. Great game for what's there so far, but a few problems I have in addition to what's been said already:

- The Cursed Sword is extremely underwhelming. It's the blueprint reward for beating the (for now) final boss twice, but its drawback makes it not worth using and the animation is lacking. I was expecting something more solid and dramatic like the Broad Sword, but it has the same dinky swinging back and forth as the rusty blade and half the other generic swords in the game.

- The sound effect for running on pipes in the Toxic Sewers is impressively bad. Took me a while to realize what I was even hearing, and on headphones it sounds really out of place. The climbable pipes also blend into the background probably more than they should.

- They should probably take out gold carrying over between runs entirely. Once you have the upgrades, you'll always have enough gold to buy everything you want unless you suddenly become really incompetent at the game and die over and over. If I'm starting my run with 60,000 gold, it's not a hard choice to open those 1000 gold doors in the first level.

- Fire in general seems overpowered. Fire Grenades + Magnet Grenades means everything is completely dead unless it's late game and you only have the starting skill damage or something.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

These posts make me feel really bad about my skill level in this game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Depends how many scrolls you get up to that point, really. If you have 10 or so strength by that point he's not too hard, lower than that and the fight does drag a bit. Balancing bosses seems difficult given how the scrolls work but Watcher doesn't seem like that much of a problem to me right now.

Boss fights in roguelites are usually pretty bad and boring and Dead Cells isn't much of an exception. I would not mind at all if Watcher was just a complete faceroll if I had 10 strength since unlike the rest of the game, boss fights never change. Plus, unlike Incomplete One, Watcher isn't really reactive to what you do; all you do is chase him around the arena and fight those god-awful tentacles.

And yeah, I unlocked the Cursed Sword and subsequently got it as my starting weapon in a run... and was incredibly underwhelmed since it didn't even one-shot trash in Prison. And they can one-shot me. And it has a similar moveset to the incredibly bad Oiled Sword. So that's a big waste of cells.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

So far I have never made it past the foggy fjord. I was doing fine recently but then I ran into a time door and didn't know where to go. Then a pair of pirates killed me.

Also the Belmont whip sucks. The critical area is too small and exact and the weapon is otherwise useless. I hate when I get it at the start.

Assassin blade, frantic sword and rapier are by far my favorites. Nothing else comes close to them, except maybe the oil sword with firebrands and fire bombs. And the crossbow, which will always be my favorite ranged weapon.

Also, gently caress those spider robots that spam bats and bombs nonstop. I hate those bastards.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That spear that does double damage to enemies near walls loving sucks rear end. What a garbage special attribute that will almost never be useful.

Also some weapons have recovery times so long you'll never escape being hit by one of those bombs dropped by the worms in the sewer and that kinda blows.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Yodzilla posted:

That spear that does double damage to enemies near walls loving sucks rear end. What a garbage special attribute that will almost never be useful.

The weapon itself is quite useful, it has a long range and the attack comes out fast, damage is okay. I view the crits when near a wall more as a bonus than anything considering the pros of the weapon.

The actual spear is super boss, though, because it's extremely powerful, the crit is easy to proc (hit multiple enemies at a time) and it just wrecks poo poo. It is much slower, though, but you just gotta get used to that.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Skeleton King posted:

So far I have never made it past the foggy fjord. I was doing fine recently but then I ran into a time door and didn't know where to go. Then a pair of pirates killed me.

The exit from Fog Fjord is in one of the side rooms, not on the main map. As far as the "easy" path is concerned, imo Fog Fjord is by far the hardest biome. The Pirate Captains are incredibly dangerous.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

The exit from Fog Fjord is in one of the side rooms, not on the main map.

Worth noting as well that there's nothing behind the timed door for now. It leads to "The Clocktower" which is an area being developed and is still inaccessible.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Whoo, went through Ossuary and Forgotten Sepulchre for the first time. Talk about a couple of supremely cool zones! The torch mechanic in Sepulchre is really fun and keeps the zone really tense, and Ossuary just looks super cool. And neither of them are anywhere nearly as tough as Prison Depths either, which is just insanely stupid hard (I ran into an elite spawner and got deleted basically instantly, I can't believe how much those things suck rear end).

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I'm gonna be streaming Dead Cells at twitch.tv/sofajusticewarriors and I haven't read a thousand wikis so please do pop in and tell me what exactly I am loving up as I play!

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I wish there was a way to disable some of the things I unlocked. I really don't like the velmont whip, ice bow or the spartan sandals, but the game sure likes wasting my time trying to give them to me. I regret unlocking those, because now there's a slightly higher chance that I won't get my rapier or crossbow or some of the other stuff i like.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, I've learned upon starting a second save file that there's some stuff I will just leave with 1 cell remaining and never actually unlock. Some of the weapons and items in this game are pretty crappy.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Since the game lets you pay to unlock them it should also let you pay to re-lock them like Necrodancer.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Patch 3 dropped:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/588650/discussions/6/1471966894865950361/

I'm not sure I understand what this one means though:
"A new ability is available at the Collector booth. It allows you to sell items lying on the ground and you don't want! Just long-press the "pick-up" button of your controller when in front of a useless item. It will be destroyed and turned into gold. This ability works on most weapons, active skills, talismans and food items."

Is there some way to drop/unequip an item that I didn't notice? How the heck would you even get a food item into the collector both?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Lakitu7 posted:

Patch 3 dropped:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/588650/discussions/6/1471966894865950361/

I'm not sure I understand what this one means though:
"A new ability is available at the Collector booth. It allows you to sell items lying on the ground and you don't want! Just long-press the "pick-up" button of your controller when in front of a useless item. It will be destroyed and turned into gold. This ability works on most weapons, active skills, talismans and food items."

Is there some way to drop/unequip an item that I didn't notice? How the heck would you even get a food item into the collector both?

It's a new ability you can buy at the Collector dude

When you have it you can hold the pickup button to sell items that are on the floor

Edit: also the patch is on the beta branch, it's not out for live yet

Daztek fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 27, 2017

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Oh, I see. That wording just didn't click for me. Thanks!

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace

Lakitu7 posted:

Sounds like it’s an ability you unlock and then you can perform that action when you find an item you want to sell out in the wild.

E: Refresh before reply

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I started a new save so I don't have to suffer items like Valmot's Whip, and am now seeing items I had not in my other save; which items would you unlock?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I got this today. I was enjoying watching it on Twitch but I was afraid that the learning curve would be gigantic.

The controls are so buttery smooth. It didn't take me long to get into the groove of moving around like a maniac. First couple of runs were rough but then I found an amulet of invisibility which got me all the way to the first boss. Being able to walk through enemies to get to the end was a lifesaver.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 8, 2017

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Did they greatly reduce the drop-rate of secondary skills? It used to be that I'd change my skills multiple times during a run. Now, it feels like I'm lucky to even get two.

Also, one of the patches took away all of my unlocks except number of potions. That sucks.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Try right clicking on the game and fiddling with your cloud save settings, that seemed to work for most people.

And yeah they really hosed up the in-game economy something fierce. Unless it's been patched this past few weeks almost nothing drops so you need to buy all your weapons and gear.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I just started playing this after taking some time off and it seems, to me, that the game is even better now. However, I haven't gotten that far yet, and I was curious if the new DirectX mode on the beta fork improved the lag on the current final boss?

It also seems they've massively updated normal enemy graphics, I don't remember them looking this good.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So I purchased this on a complete whim when I heard they were thinking about porting it to Switch.

Holy poo poo this game is amazing. I can't believe I hadn't heard anything about it until a random Switch tweet, it's been a while since I've been so impressed by an indie game!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

I just started playing this after taking some time off and it seems, to me, that the game is even better now. However, I haven't gotten that far yet, and I was curious if the new DirectX mode on the beta fork improved the lag on the current final boss?

It also seems they've massively updated normal enemy graphics, I don't remember them looking this good.

Well gently caress, now I have to play the game again. Haven't checked it out for a month or two, to avoid early access fatigue. Is the final boss still that lovely eye monster?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I dont know because I suck at the game. I do note that the enemy types look more detailed and diverse now.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Got into the graveyard for the first time with an amazing fire brand/extra damage on targets on fire weapon combo. I loved it, although it was hard to pass on a slightly better throwing knife over the firebrand. Throwing knives are the poo poo, easily my favorite ranged.

That said I had a decent fun with one of the "critical if close" crossbows, and it also owns. Hit like a truck, roll, hit, roll. Pretty fun.

I think this is the first roguelike I've actually have click for me. Like, usually I don't bother beyond playing it run by run and forget about achievements or alternative ways to run the game, but I understand the appeal to do, for instance, a "fast run" and try to hit all the timed doors. Or a careful run and take my sweet time exploring everything and farming cells.
I'm ignoring any wiki and just discovering things on my own, although when I eventually buy the upcoming switch version I'll probably skip on unlocking poo poo items, for instance.

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 5, 2017

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Genocyber posted:

Well gently caress, now I have to play the game again. Haven't checked it out for a month or two, to avoid early access fatigue. Is the final boss still that lovely eye monster?

Yes, for now. But there's a lot of game scheduled to be added after that boss, and they're supposed to make that boss easier at that point in time.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I'm ignoring any wiki and just discovering things on my own, although when I eventually buy the upcoming switch version I'll probably skip on unlocking poo poo items, for instance.

FYI: They've said that they'll soon be adding some way to re-lock items you don't like to remove them from the pool.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

cost: twice as many cells as it took to unlock :smuggo:

On another note: Shields are fun now. I didn't have the game when they were awful, but now you can stun the White Armor swordsmen fairly easily, and if you block a Grenadier's bomb, the bomb becomes "friendly" (hurts enemies, doesn't hurt you.) You can even kill them this way.

Also, I wasn't fast enough to screenshot it, but when testing that a Grenadier jumped away from me, fell off a ledge and died, and as it fell had a "YOLO" textbox.

Seventh_Samurai
Jul 5, 2007
dick blick

Agents are GO! posted:

On another note: Shields are fun now. I didn't have the game when they were awful, but now you can stun the White Armor swordsmen fairly easily, and if you block a Grenadier's bomb, the bomb becomes "friendly" (hurts enemies, doesn't hurt you.) You can even kill them this way.

You can do the same thing with the Spartan Sandals. The timing is a little harder to get since they have a longer wind-up than shields, but you feel like a badass kicking a guy's bomb back in his face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Is there any good way to tell if i've gotten all the blueprints that are locked behind timed doors? Most of the time any more I only ever make the timed door going straight to Ossuary from the start, and that one is definitely worth it, but most of them I've only sprinted to to collect the unique blueprint and I don't know if I've missed any.