Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I've been playing this game for a month, I've gotten to Hand of the King maybe 4 times, and he has utterly decimated me every single time. I love everything about this game except for that fight. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

drat this update sounds rad as hell. I'm geeked on that skinning thing. Also, someone think of a new thread title about the Boi Axe

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Aaaay just got my first HotK kill with a VI++ Blood Sword, colorless Legendary Lightning, VI++ Fire Grenade, and colorless S-rank Slicer from a cursed chest. Stats were about 19B/8T/7S, mutations were Dead Inside, the one that temporarily raises your DPS after a kill, and Support. I absolutely loving FRIED the man. The legendary force lightning had a couple lovely affixes BUT it also had "does +100% damage" and I think "+20% crit damage," and boy howdy did that thing do some fuckin work. I'm sad it didn't roll over to the next game. It was doing like 14,000 damage.

1 Boss Cell is already quite a bit tougher. Also, what is this homunculus thing for? And why can't I keep that amazing symmetrical lance 😫

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Edit: weird double post

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Am I missing something? I've been trying this 1 Cell mode a lot since I beat the HotK and the game has become aggressively punishing and unfun. Everything takes forever to kill, you can barely make a single mistake without dying immediately, I always feel like I'm flat broke... like, this sucks all the enjoyment out of this game. Is there something else I need to unlock in normal mode to make this feel even remotely doable or worth my time?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

There is a big jump in difficulty between 0 Cell and 1 Cell mode. In reality 1 Cell mode plays almost like the 0 Cell mode before the 1.1 update, the game was that hard.

Are you in pc? There are mods that lower the difficulty a bit.

Replying to your question, there were 2-3 blueprints that you need to get with your new ability of detaching yourself from your body, but I guess it can be used in 0 cell mode.

Thank you, that's good to know. I'm on console unfortunately so I can't mod, but I'll switch back to 0 cell and search for more blueprints

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Feldegast42 posted:

I was there with you for a long time on 1 cell, and I found that the best way to get over the hump is to max out the first level of the forge (so all the weapons / skills that drop start out with + quality). This makes all items you get effectively level 3, which makes a huge difference in your performance. It will take some grinding to do (1000 cells) but I did it relatively quickly while I was speedrunning for blueprints with the Hunter's Grenade.

For your life total, I also noticed in 1 cell that you start with a punishingly small life total in comparison to the damage you are receiving, but after a few layers of stats (I try for 3/3/3 before I choose a specialty) things even out. Later on its still not great to take a hit but it won't insta end your run like getting hit by the teleporting sword guys are in the forest. Basically get good at dodging the enemies in the first couple levels and you will quickly get better.

This is really useful advice, thank you

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

If you have anything icy or electrical the Dark Trackers can be punked super hard because they're standing in liquid the whole time

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

I am extremely new to this thing but I just had the most blessed of runs with a "L" Impaler that let me run roughshod over everything when paired with a grenade/ice grenade combo that I've come to really like (ice grenades seem to be a universally great "oh poo poo" button when you're surrounded). I had such a high brutality level that I could DPS everything so quickly and even the last boss couldn't keep up. I get the feeling that is pretty uncommon because it was only my 7th run and I barely have anything unlocked otherwise.

This is what makes this game for me. You spend several runs carefully, tactically running a tightrope of speed, budgeting, planning, performance, etc, with varying levels of success, but then every once in a while you luck into the perfect combo that turns you into the bloody handed king of hell for an entire run and you cackle as everything explodes.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

The golems are raw unfiltered rear end unless you have an ice grenade and a crusher

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I accidentally woke up an elite golem that was near an invincibility totem I couldn't easily get to and it ended a good run in about a second

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I could have sworn but it's possible I've just been driven mad by trauma. Maybe it had an invincibility pylon from the recent update? Or maybe I'm losing my mind??

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

I've only now started investing in the blacksmith and I sort of assumed that it was 1000 cells to upgrade the % a little bit each time, not 1000% to max it out entirely. The latter makes so much more sense and I feel rather silly for not doing it sooner.

Just you wait until the next tier of upgrades opens up

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

That's rad and I support your work even if I can't party with it on account of PS4. Curiousity compels me to ask, though: is it possible to add Conjunctivius tentacles to the spawn roll for shits and giggles?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh, lol, I hadn't thought of that. It isn't impossible? They have their own monster stats, with hp, power, id ("BeholderTtcl") and skills. But maybe the game will crash if I include them in the spawn table. Only one way to know for sure!!

edit: Look what your comment has brought upon us! Look and despair!

Oh my God this owns lmfao, can't wait to see someone run screaming from an elite tentacle

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Elite golems! Are still! The worst thing that can happen!!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I saw a double Boy's Axe, double Owl of War run that was absolutely beautiful

What are some good gimmick/theme runs to try out? I wanna do a Hayabusa Gauntlets/Hayabusa Boots run once I find the gauntlets. Dunno what I ought to put in the sub slots though. I was also thinking of an all-electric run, with Lightning Bolt, Electric Whip, Magnetic Grenade, and Wings of the Crow, or maybe a Belmont run with the Valmont Whip and either the Kunai or Boomerang. Too bad the Time Stop won't be in the game anymore, cause that would have been a perfect substitute for the Stopwatch.

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 7, 2019

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I've been having a lot of fun with Swift Sword, Assault Shield, Phaser, Velocity, Instinct of the Master of Arms, and that brutality mutation I can't recall the name of that amps DPS after a kill

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Plus they may as well not even exist for most of a boss fight. Only time they were actually useful to me with a boss was when I threw a bear trap into the spike pit at the side of the HotK fight and kicked him into it and tossed a fire grenade in after.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

Motherfucker!

Updated AMB Balanced mod and Progression Rebalanced mod, with the slightly increase in blueprint drop previously commented and the Time Distorsion skill re-added (nerfed to 30sec CD, 1.5s duration)

Also, someone has updated the Biome guide of the wiki with the 1.2 info
https://deadcells.gamepedia.com/File:Brutal_Update_Biome_Map_by_Ray_G._Quit.png

edit: got the owl of war! then got killed a few levels after, I rage exited the game, even. I think I'm going to stay away from it for a pair of weeks...

Oh God, that's so many cells to lose at once. I'm in sympathy pain. I've absolutely rage-quit that game, fortunately when my fiance wasn't home so she couldn't see a grown man yell swear words at a toy. :argh:

I was also curious, for modding purposes... Is it possible to spawn multiple bosses in the same room? Like, could you have the Concierge giving backup to Conjunctivius? Or tentacles popping up in the Timekeeper's boss room?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

PMush Perfect posted:

This has been my entire Dead Cells experience so far.

Majorly same. I think they're probably vital for anything above 0 cell. I'm getting sort of okay with them, but I find all of the shields I have pretty boring outside of the assault shield.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

juggalo baby coffin posted:

ive reached hand of the king like 4 times now and just got owned. i can get him down to like half but then he starts making GBS threads infinite flags and pushing me into the spike pits

Is this on the initial difficulty level? I had so much trouble with him but eventually it'll click. The wolf trap is surprisingly helpful for that fight, as well as all the damage over time you can muster. Freezing him isn't too helpful, as he develops an immunity really quickly.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I want a side scrolling platformer crossover fighter where I can pit the Dead Cells moldman against the templar lady from Dark Devotion and the cone guy from Blasphemous.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

big cummers ONLY posted:

That's what I wanted to hear! I want to mess with all these different things while still being able to progress.

Even the Spartan Sandals whip rear end if you get the hang of kicking dudes off of ledges and into walls. They pair well with ice gear for this reason.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Only $5? These devs are a rare breed.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

Whatever happened with the Marketing exec that wanted to abandon the whole flat anarchy thing and spin up a real studio with bosses?

Hopefully they were fed to Conjunctivius

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Kawabata posted:

1BC is hell

I feel this. I still haven't cleared the Hand of the King on 1BC. I've been chipping away, though. Slowly feeding the forge really makes a difference.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Conjunctivius is a fun boss in modes where you're only medium trying, but a chaos beast in modes where you need to care. The darkness damage zone isn't too bad once you get used to its tempo, and I believe it always has the highest concentration of stat boosting scrolls.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

In my experience, there comes a time where tf difficulty curve of the game means you are 100% required to use a shield and be good with it, because so many things can one or two shot you if you slightly miscalculate your dodge distance in a mob of exploding attacks and teleporting enemies

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

The devs for Dead Cells are probably the most chill, helpful, conscientious, responsive, and communicative devs I have ever seen for a game, especially one that's this far past launch.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I remember finding a Phaser that froze enemies on hit and an Assassin's Dagger that did extra damage to frozen enemies. That was a fun run.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Flaccid penis head with flop physics

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I basically never gently caress with cursed chests unless I know I've left a bunch of squishy enemies around that I can easily kill in indirect ways

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Leylite posted:

Each cursed chest you open gives you +15% damage on all your equipment for the rest of the run,

Wait what

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

el dingo posted:

Been playing for a few days now, usually dying to the first boss but I had this miracle run where I got awesome gear. Beat the poo poo out of first boss, blitzed through a couple more levels, crushed some other clock boss thing, then on the next level I dropped down into a room and just couldn't go anywhere. The platforms were too high so I just killed myself on a rotating ball trap. Bit of an anti climax. Have I missed a rune somewhere? I can take vines but not sarcophagi. At least I unlocked a lot of blueprints

Remind me, can you wall cling and double jump at the start? If you can't do those, it might be that you missed some runes.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I bet the new diet option will be, like, peppermint canes and gingerbread men, or perhaps increasing sizes of wrapped Christmas presents

And yeah, crossbows are dead to me now. They aren't even remotely strong enough to warrant giving up a second weapon, let alone giving up a shield. BC1 and higher would become almost literally unplayable.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

There are a good number of whips, actually. Look at for the Electric Whip and the Wrenching Whip. Wrenching Whip is fun with the Spartan Sandals. The Shovel would also work. The Wrenching Whip yanks enemies up to you while the Spartan Sandals and Shovel knock enemies away from you. It's fun to juggle them back and forth like a yo-yo.

Has anyone tried to synergize Lightspeed and... I think it's called Phase Shift? The one where you teleport right behind the enemies and cause bigger damage (which is hella fun with the Assassin's Dagger). Seems like constantly teleporting for damage could be a lot of fun, but I've never found both on the same run.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I griped about how bullshit HotK was and then had a run shortly after where I completely melted him. Prayer works.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah it does feel like the cursed chests kind of muck up the incentives for how to play "properly." I would enjoy them more if the curses were more interesting and random than just one-hit-deaths. Make it so your skills come back at half speed until you clear the curse, or you take double damage while cursed, or all monsters see you through floors and walls, or you bleed money, or rolling leaves a trail of flame that can hurt you, etc. Something that doesn't always put the pace of play at a dead stop in order to do the exact same boring and annoying task cycle every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Mescal posted:

Why do I die when I attack the lab flask/yellow slugs from range? I don't see any attack, but I get killed like immediately. I feel like that didn't used to happen

EDIT Oh, I get it. My lightning attack does self damage when I hold it too long.

Hahaha I remember when I figured that out