Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

AKZ posted:

Yea, this is a bit of an assumption. Own guns, sure. Walk around like the bullet farmer from mad max, nah.

I donít think youíre all psycho gun nuts by any means, I donít post in here much but itís a cool sub forum. I just realized at the last second that me going ďgently caress I donít wanna see anyone with a gunĒ in here was a little silly and laughed at myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

The grocery store bathroom ain't a range. I mean I can legally push a snap-on tool cabinet around too but people are gonna think it's inappropriate to do so in the grocery store.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

The hit game Iím Not Touching You!ónow with deadly weapons!

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Snowy posted:

I don’t think you’re all psycho gun nuts by any means, I don’t post in here much but it’s a cool sub forum. I just realized at the last second that me going “gently caress I don’t wanna see anyone with a gun” in here was a little silly and laughed at myself

No worries. I can understand that and see where you're coming from. I'm always happy to see goons dropping in from other forums.

I just had a funny mental image of someone literally weighed down with guns and ammo falling out of their pockets in an applebees.

"OPEN CARRY IS MY RIGHT"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AKZ posted:

No worries. I can understand that and see where you're coming from. I'm always happy to see goons dropping in from other forums.

I just had a funny mental image of someone literally weighed down with guns and ammo falling out of their pockets in an applebees.

"OPEN CARRY IS MY RIGHT"

I'm a foreigner, so I assume America is literally like this.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

chairface posted:

The grocery store bathroom ain't a range. I mean I can legally push a snap-on tool cabinet around too but people are gonna think it's inappropriate to do so in the grocery store.

I really like that analogy, I'm gonna have to keep that one in mind.

The Lone Badger posted:

Only in some places. It's a big country. In other states, you can go for literally days without seeing a gun or hearing gunfire.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I really like that analogy, I'm gonna have to keep that one in mind.

For whatever reason, I imagined handcuffs linking the cabinet to its courier, as if it were a briefcase full of secret documents.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

quote:

In late March, Michigan State Police said they received the tip that a person was operating a drug house on 4th Street in Manistee.

According to investigators, the resident of the home, Jacob Daniel Turner, 39, was in the passenger seat of a vehicle in the driveway when troopers arrived on the scene.

During his arrest, methamphetamine and a handgun were recovered.

I mean, yeah, technically thatís a firearm...

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

infrared35 posted:

More of a firearm than some of the previously-posted pipe-gun fuckery.

Not by much, though, especially if it's in the original .41 Rimfire.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Ygolonac posted:

More of a firearm than some of the previously-posted pipe-gun fuckery.

Not by much, though, especially if it's in the original .41 Rimfire.

.41 Rimfire is a thing that exists?

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm from the midwest and I've never actually seen anyone open carry in public. I've been great lakes region for the last 7 or so.

Where are you from Lone Badger?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Snowy posted:

I don’t think you’re all psycho gun nuts by any means, I don’t post in here much but it’s a cool sub forum. I just realized at the last second that me going “gently caress I don’t wanna see anyone with a gun” in here was a little silly and laughed at myself
My dude, I own so many guns I couldn't tell you exactly how many I own without looking in my safe or at the spreadsheet, and I don't wanna see anyone with a gun. Conceal it or gently caress off. No need to feel silly, friend.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Captain Log posted:

.41 Rimfire is a thing that exists?

In like 1863, yeah. A saying had it that the best strategy was to shoot your opponent, run away, and wait for him to die of secondary infections.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

stealie72 posted:

My dude, I own so many guns I couldn't tell you exactly how many I own without looking in my safe or at the spreadsheet, and I don't wanna see anyone with a gun. Conceal it or gently caress off. No need to feel silly, friend.

Yeah, I don't think open carry should be illegal, but generally I would prefer to be able to safely assume that if I see a gun in public some poo poo is happening.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Ok, I think I missed a bunch about the dude with all the guns in the bathroom but why would you load mags in a bathroom if you were open carrying anyway? Wouldn't you have everything loaded? Is it some kind of open carry 2A nonsense to walk into an establishment with your guns but with empty magazines with bullets in your pockets so you can go load them in the bathroom? I'm very lost on this whole thing.

I see open carry not infrequently here and they typically appear pre-loaded. Nobody's headed to the shitter to rack some rounds.

Side question: should I load my magazines in private? If not, is it like pooping with the door open?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

I assume loading the shotgun? Because that makes distinctive clicking sounds louder than putting bullets into a magazine I think.

Looking at this ABC news article who interviewed the witness, the guy walked in bold as brass with a rifle into the bathroom. The witness saw him lean his AR-15 rifle in the toilet stall and called police since it was so soon after the other grocery store shooting.

I'm not sure if him loading was what alerted him or just seeing the rifle.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Chillyrabbit posted:

I assume loading the shotgun? Because that makes distinctive clicking sounds louder than putting bullets into a magazine I think.

Looking at this ABC news article who interviewed the witness, the guy walked in bold as brass with a rifle into the bathroom. The witness saw him lean his AR-15 rifle in the toilet stall and called police since it was so soon after the other grocery store shooting.

I'm not sure if him loading was what alerted him or just seeing the rifle.

Yeah the whole loading bit seems silly. I imagine if you walk around with a bunch of guns open carry, expect to have the police called eventually.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AKZ posted:

I'm from the midwest and I've never actually seen anyone open carry in public. I've been great lakes region for the last 7 or so.

Where are you from Lone Badger?

Australia. You'll see a few rifles out in the rural areas for spotlighting kangaroos, but that's it. The stereotype I had was that americans carry a gun at all times even at home and then arm up to go outside.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Lone Badger posted:

The stereotype I had was that americans carry a gun at all times even at home and then arm up to go outside.

I live in NYC and the only guns Iíve seen people own here were extremely illegal, so itís always weird for me to visit places where you can just walk around armed with no problem.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

AKZ posted:

I've lived here in the lake michigan area my whole life and the only time I saw an open carry was at post biden win trump rally that blocked off a few streets and I had to drive through it. Bunch of morons open carrying there. I didn't see any rifles though. Just hip holstered pistols. It was still unusual enough for just a gun in a holster that I noted it as extremely strange (although also not so strange considering the crowd and what they were protesting).

Full stop, I own several guns including an AR15 and if I saw someone walking around open carrying an AR15 at any of the places I frequent the only conclusion I could reach is that something bad is about to happen. I'd be less anxious around a pistol in a holster but as I said I'd think it was strange if there wasn't a badge to go with it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

infrared35 posted:

I mean, yeah, technically that’s a firearm...

Nice that they poked air holes in the box so it wouldn't suffocate

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Australia. You'll see a few rifles out in the rural areas for spotlighting kangaroos, but that's it. The stereotype I had was that americans carry a gun at all times even at home and then arm up to go outside.

Cool, what part of Australia? I've always wanted to travel to Australia but never had the chance. Do you do any shooting?

Similar to the other poster, I own an AR and a handful of other guns, but if I saw someone walking around with one shouldered it would set off that "Eh this seems like a bad idea" vibe and I would avoid it. I occasionally spot a concealed carry, but not often. I can only speak to where I'm from, but it is a fairly rural area.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

infrared35 posted:

I mean, yeah, technically that’s a firearm...

Meth is involved anything is possible.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

AKZ posted:

Cool, what part of Australia? I've always wanted to travel to Australia but never had the chance. Do you do any shooting?

Similar to the other poster, I own an AR and a handful of other guns, but if I saw someone walking around with one shouldered it would set off that "Eh this seems like a bad idea" vibe and I would avoid it. I occasionally spot a concealed carry, but not often. I can only speak to where I'm from, but it is a fairly rural area.

Outback Australia, like, places where not knowing what you're doing will get you killed, most farmers you run into will have a shotgun or a bolt action rifle slung over their shoulder to deal with poo poo. Dingoes, cattle that need destroying, snakes, etc etc.

I've worked in every state and territory in this country exploring for minerals and run into the local ranchers a lot, where their response goes from "who the gently caress are you and why are you on my property" to "oh you're the exploration team we spoke to three weeks ago no drama you can roam across the cattle station wherever you need" in about a minute of explanation, and they always have guns. To me, that's the prototypical need for open carry - where it's part of your job and just another tool you use to do it.

As a city slicker who owns guns - 9mm pistol, .22lr pistol, SMLE and soon to be a .357 lever action - I literally cannot think of a reason I would ever need to carry one out and about.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008
Prepare yourself for some obtuse logic--->

Snowy posted:

I live in NYC and the only guns Iíve seen people own here were extremely illegal, so itís always weird for me to visit places where you can just walk around armed with no problem.

That's because NYC's gun laws and permitting process are so hosed up. There's so much money involved in nonrefundable application and interview fees that most people can't afford it. Even if you can afford it, it's highly unlikely that you'll get approved if you don't have wealth and/or connections (e.g., lots of celebrities, like DeNiro, get approved), especially since it's basically a grifting operation by the NYPD.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

5er posted:

Being charitable? I figure chitoryu12 is saying that the person who reported that he was "loading guns" probably didn't hear poo poo and made up something to just call the cops on a black man that was open-carrying.

The guy who reported him was black.

https://abc7ny.com/atlanta-supermarket-gun-arrest-instacart-shopper-charles-russell-rico-marley/10452668/

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Memento posted:

Outback Australia, like, places where not knowing what you're doing will get you killed, most farmers you run into will have a shotgun or a bolt action rifle slung over their shoulder to deal with poo poo. Dingoes, cattle that need destroying, snakes, etc etc.

I've worked in every state and territory in this country exploring for minerals and run into the local ranchers a lot, where their response goes from "who the gently caress are you and why are you on my property" to "oh you're the exploration team we spoke to three weeks ago no drama you can roam across the cattle station wherever you need" in about a minute of explanation, and they always have guns. To me, that's the prototypical need for open carry - where it's part of your job and just another tool you use to do it.

As a city slicker who owns guns - 9mm pistol, .22lr pistol, SMLE and soon to be a .357 lever action - I literally cannot think of a reason I would ever need to carry one out and about.

I agree with that. When your way out somewhere in the middle of nowhere you need to be prepared for anything.

I've also seen some of your posts in the geo thread. I did research on structural controls of hydrothermal fluid flow mineralization and have a couple buddies deeper in the industry who do logistics and mineral exploration.

Are handguns common in Australia? For some reason I thought they weren't.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

The only scenario where I'd open carry would be out in bumberfuck, where bobcats or bears could be an actual concern. Even then, I know getting attacked by one would be as likely as a lightning strike. But when you've lived my life, you prepare for lightning.

I'll occasionally have on an OWB holster, but it's well concealed.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Toshokan posted:

That's because NYC's gun laws and permitting process are so hosed up. There's so much money involved in nonrefundable application and interview fees that most people can't afford it. Even if you can afford it, it's highly unlikely that you'll get approved if you don't have wealth and/or connections (e.g., lots of celebrities, like DeNiro, get approved), especially since it's basically a grifting operation by the NYPD.

Iíd rather they just remove the options for the rich, I wouldnít want the playing field leveled by making it easier for everyone else to carry a gun around in the city.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

One of the problems I've had with Open Carry has been well demonstrated over the past few years.

In many states, it is illegal to "Brandish" a weapon. In the simplest of terms, that I'm sure someone will swoop in to correct, this refers to using a gun to threaten or intimidate. The laws from state to state can be pretty murky and selectively enforced (also known as racist). But so much of the dickheads marching around state capitol buildings cosplaying Rambo has been meant to intimidate, but I've never heard brandishing laws brought up.

I think that's a majorly hosed part of open carry laws.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

It seems abundantly clear the guy was up to no good. I was devil's advocating, which at this point I think was pretty badly.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AKZ posted:

Are handguns common in Australia? For some reason I thought they weren't.

As far as I know they're legal only for target shooting. You're not allowed to take them home.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Open carry is boneheaded but I'm glad it's legal because making a legal distinction between open and concealed leads to cops having a bad day being able to say "I can see your pistol, it's not concealed" after being handed a concealed carry permit and then someone eats a brandishing charge over poo poo that completely didn't happen.

Despite the stereotypes, the only people I've ever seen actually open carrying are 60-something women, and it's always a cool 1911.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

Captain Log posted:

I can totally get accidentally having a pocket knife. But a loving gun?!

Let me enlighten you on human stupidity with a little story. Back in 2010 when I worked for Vlasic, they decided to implement a new rule that no one without an appropriate license would be allowed to use pallet jacks. I thought this sounded stupid. But over the years working there and at my current job, I stand completely behind that rule because i've seen so many fuckups fail at using pallet jacks.

People are insanely stupid. Or as the saying goes, common sense ain't so common

infrared35 posted:

Hey, at least they don't have it laying on a table next to a mound of cash and drugs while posing like they just caught the DC sniper or something

V Ah if only that tallied up in even the top ten of idiot fuckery on those things. It'd at least be hilarious

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 4, 2021

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

It's my right to be able to ride a pallet jack like a scooter and eat poo poo going around a corner.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

Kinda surprised the cops didn't waste both of'em

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

SocketWrench posted:

Kinda surprised the cops didn't waste both of'em

They were busy looking for a kid in the toy aisle.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Dip Viscous posted:

Open carry is boneheaded but I'm glad it's legal because making a legal distinction between open and concealed leads to cops having a bad day being able to say "I can see your pistol, it's not concealed" after being handed a concealed carry permit and then someone eats a brandishing charge over poo poo that completely didn't happen.

Despite the stereotypes, the only people I've ever seen actually open carrying are 60-something women, and it's always a cool 1911.

Only place I ever regularly saw A LOT of open carry was Arizona. Which doesn't bother me if it's part of the culture.

I still think it's a flashing "HIT THIS PERSON WITH A BRICK FROM BEHIND" sign, but to each their own. I just don't see a reason, when around other people, to need an open gun.

gently caress cops getting to make distinctions about who is and isn't brandishing. But also gently caress armed cadres of loving assholes LARPing out their power fantasy making everyone unsafe. Including our hobby. That poo poo isn't good PR.

SocketWrench posted:

Let me enlighten you on human stupidity with a little story. Back in 2010 when I worked for Vlasic, they decided to implement a new rule that no one without an appropriate license would be allowed to use pallet jacks. I thought this sounded stupid. But over the years working there and at my current job, I stand completely behind that rule because i've seen so many fuckups fail at using pallet jacks.

People are insanely stupid. Or as the saying goes, common sense ain't so common

Dip Viscous posted:

It's my right to be able to ride a pallet jack like a scooter and eat poo poo going around a corner.

I cannot argue with either statement.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Log posted:

I still think it's a flashing "HIT THIS PERSON WITH A BRICK FROM BEHIND" sign

People have been ambushing others take their superior weaponry since the spear was invented.

Along comes a highly effective, ranged weapon that fits in a pocket, and people just canít resist wearing it on their hip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Nobody should ever open carry and it defeats the purpose of having a gun in the first place, but I've had friends get hosed over by cops saying they could see the outline of the pistol under clothing when no, they couldn't. Lives ruined because they thought it might be prudent to hand over their weapons permit along with their driver's license during a normal traffic stop.