Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Platystemon posted:

Along comes a highly effective, ranged weapon that fits in a pocket, and people just canít resist wearing it on their hip.

Or even if it doesn't fit in a pocket.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsK4y6MYDdU#t=79s

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008
Prepare yourself for some obtuse logic--->

Snowy posted:

Iíd rather they just remove the options for the rich, I wouldnít want the playing field leveled by making it easier for everyone else to carry a gun around in the city.

Except that the wealthy already have other means for protection, from condos with doormen and security, to police actually showing up in a timely manner when they call 9-1-1, to just living in areas with less crime. They're also more likely to be white and therefore have more positive interactions with cops (e.g., not be harassed by the cops when they're actually the victims) should they need help.

Why shouldn't people who don't have these privileges be able to protect themselves?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Three people pounding on my windows while wielding machetes and screaming "SAND NIGGER" is what it took to make cops visit me two days later for a report while they acted like I was a prick that was wasting their time.

Americans come off as being insane about guns because so much of America is actually that insane.

I don't even feel like it would be the end of the world if I had to move somewhere else and couldn't be armed. But here? Do something about the white supremacists first.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 4, 2021

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

Dip Viscous posted:

Three people pounding on my windows while wielding machetes and screaming "SAND NIGGER" is what it took to make cops visit me two days later for a report while they acted like I was a prick that was wasting their time.

Americans come off as being insane about guns because so much of America is actually that insane.

I don't even feel like it would be the end of the world if I had to move somewhere else and couldn't be armed. But here? Do something about the white supremacists first.

Exactly. I get people being anti-gun even if I don't personally agree with it, but wanting to disarm people before you've done anything substantive about crime, its causes (e.g., poverty), and the inherent corruption and ineptitude of law enforcement is just insane.

It's like Reagan deinstitutionalizing people from mental health facilities. Yes, keeping people locked away for years is morally, ethically, and scientifically wrong, but you can't eject people from their only resource for stability and treatment without funding and establishing the resources for them to function in the real world. That's why so many people with serious mental illness are homeless.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Dip Viscous posted:

Nobody should ever open carry and it defeats the purpose of having a gun in the first place, but I've had friends get hosed over by cops saying they could see the outline of the pistol under clothing when no, they couldn't. Lives ruined because they thought it might be prudent to hand over their weapons permit along with their driver's license during a normal traffic stop.

The one time I've seen open carry make sense was when I saw a guy in full motorcycle gear at an IHOP, since there was no way he could have reasonably gotten a handgun out of his pants in under 30 seconds. Pretty sure it'd have taken him at least 3 minutes to use a urinal.
The most baffling instance I've seen was a dude with some micro-compact single-stack in an OWB holster at Walmart (this was before Walmart started telling people not to OC in their stores) while wearing baggy clothes.

Dip Viscous posted:

I think a lot of people, even inside the US, have literally no idea how much crazy poo poo goes on here.
  • During grad school I had a tweaker pull a knife and then a machete on me while I was on a walk with two other guys in a normal-ish neighborhood (thankfully, I'm pretty good at talking to disturbed people).
  • One of my old lab mates had to deal with a child who'd skateboard around the neighborhood threatening people with a machete.
  • I made the mistake of giving a few bucks and a ride to a homeless guy in 2016, and over the next few years he came into restaurants to panhandle me because he recognized my vehicle in the parking lot twice, and starting running at my vehicle before I could even throw it into park the last time he saw me (a few months ago), despite my explicitly telling him multiple times to stay away from me.
  • Out in public a woman let her dog bite me while it was on a leash and just said, "Oh, he's territorial."
  • My dad was cornered by a pack of feral dogs in his driveway in the suburbs.
  • Two retired employees at my old university were mauled to death by dogs while on a walk.
  • I've had to tell someone I was texting, "I have to go. There's a pack of coyotes getting closer."

I can't imagine how much shittier this kind of stuff (and other things I haven't had to deal with) is to deal with when you're not a white dude who's large enough to be physically intimidating.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

poeticoddity posted:

• During grad school I had a tweaker pull a knife and then a machete on me while I was on a walk with two other guys in a normal-ish neighborhood (thankfully, I'm pretty good at talking to disturbed people).

This type of de-escalation is huge and could save tons of lives. Has anyone ever written a good book on it?

I'm super tiny and could get one-hit obliterated even without bringing races issues into play.

Edit: gently caress coyotes too. "They aren't aggressive and just run from humans!" Bull loving poo poo lol.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 4, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Dip Viscous posted:

I don't even feel like it would be the end of the world if I had to move somewhere else and couldn't be armed.

I've always had that exact same feeling. I'd go walkabout in countries where I didn't speak the language and not bat an eye at anything. I never got a "I'm in Danger!" moment, past a few hooligans being hooligans. Most any city in the United States has parts that literally aren't safe, even strapped.

For what it's worth, putting work into the whole "Not looking like a victim" thing works wonders. It's mostly just being able to project confidence.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

Dip Viscous posted:

Edit: gently caress coyotes too. "They aren't aggressive and just run from humans!" Bull loving poo poo lol.

Oh boy coyotes. I got a pack that lives near me and they absolutely know what a rifle is. Iím not taking a 100yd potshot at a yote with a 4 inch barrel 357. Just not that good of a shot. Our cameras also show a mid size blackbear who wanders through from time to time. Never bothered our cans though.

Out in Kitsap County WA (just look at a map) itís not unusual to see open carry for pistols. At the church we use to attend pre-plague the AV guy would wear basketball shorts with a Glock 17 flopping around. Had a talk with the associated pastor but he was a spineless wimp. Like concealed carry permits are shall issue and like $50 bucks. Cover up dude.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Dip Viscous posted:

This type of de-escalation is huge and could save tons of lives. Has anyone ever written a good book on it?

Non violent crisis intervention involves this in part (and the rest is how to physically manage a confrontation without maiming or killing someone). Social workers, particularly those in front-line child protection positions, get this kind of training so I kinda chuckle when I hear thin blue line types grunting about sending social workers instead of cops in to deal with individuals in distress because that's a big part of what we do.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 4, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SocketWrench posted:

Let me enlighten you on human stupidity with a little story. Back in 2010 when I worked for Vlasic, they decided to implement a new rule that no one without an appropriate license would be allowed to use pallet jacks. I thought this sounded stupid. But over the years working there and at my current job, I stand completely behind that rule because i've seen so many fuckups fail at using pallet jacks.

People are insanely stupid. Or as the saying goes, common sense ain't so common

Hey, at least they don't have it laying on a table next to a mound of cash and drugs while posing like they just caught the DC sniper or something

V Ah if only that tallied up in even the top ten of idiot fuckery on those things. It'd at least be hilarious

the most OSHA poo poo I've ever done in my life was moving a completely disabled forklift with a locked diff on pallet jacks

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Dip Viscous posted:

I'm super tiny and could get one-hit obliterated even without bringing races issues into play.

Look up "managing unknown contacts" on YouTube. Not necessarily only de-escalation but it's a method to de-escalate if possible or escalate if necessary. One of these years I'll get out to a shivworks class, they are so well regarded

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001

The four most over-rated things in life are champagne, lobster, anal sex and picnics. Oh, and that stupid children's book 'The Little Prince,' ugh.

Yams Fan

First time I ate out after COVID started easing I was in a breakfast place sitting behind a hugely fat coughing man with an itty-bitty OC.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

Remulak posted:

First time I ate out after COVID started easing I was in a breakfast place sitting behind a hugely fat coughing man with an itty-bitty OC.

I just don't understand this. Arguably the primary advantage of tiny guns is that they're more easily concealed, especially in warmer weather when you're wearing less clothing. If you're going to OC, why not just carry something full sized or compact (e.g., Glock 19)?

Is it just to be lighter and less obtrusive?

Or are they lazy or only have one gun to carry?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

I think you've got it--full-size guns are heavier and/or they potentially only own one carry gun.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Toshokan posted:

Except that the wealthy already have other means for protection, from condos with doormen and security, to police actually showing up in a timely manner when they call 9-1-1, to just living in areas with less crime.

Yep, when the fancy town near me had a bunch of break-ins a number of people just formed a pool to pay for private security patrols (not a gated community), and even then the 911 response there is amazing. I was at someone's house there when their senile grandparent started choking and within minutes you had multiple firetrucks, ambulances, and cop cars. It was a shockingly huge response for a call of "we have a person choking on food."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I just had an epiphany: the internet is useless!

Ultra Carp

shame on an IGA posted:

the most OSHA poo poo I've ever done in my life was moving a completely disabled forklift with a locked diff on pallet jacks