Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Toshokan posted:

It's great how we only get the two genders of constitutional thought: (1) the reactionaries claiming that the Founders were transcendental geniuses whose thought was not at all limited by their time and whose words should be taken literally and the Constitution never altered* and (2) the libs claiming that the Founders did not discern any more general, timeless principles about rights and governance and we should disregard what they said and wrote because they were flawed individuals who held some problematic ideas.

(*unless altering it suits them)

I've always found this dichotomy particularly odd in light of how much debate and discussion hinges on the first ten things they almost immediately amended to the constitution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I find it odd that someone will argue that the 1st and 4th apply to digital stuff and other modern contrivances but somehow the 2nd only applies to muskets.

TBH the best conversations I've had was with someone who outright supports repealing 2A, because at least they were being honest. They were an attorney, and willingly acknowledged that things Heller were a real thing that the courts decided even if they personally disagreed with it.

It's fine to disagree with the 2A, just be intellectually honest.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Toshokan posted:

Like, for real? That makes no sense, especially when people are still shooting 30-06, corrosive 7.62x39, and other ammo that is decades old.

https://www.cracked.com/blog/the-10-dumbest-things-tv-so-far-this-season/

For real. First entry on the list. Though I misremembered and apparently it was just -a- faction rolling around like a civil war era battalion.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008
Prepare yourself for some obtuse logic--->

Akion posted:

I find it odd that someone will argue that the 1st and 4th apply to digital stuff and other modern contrivances but somehow the 2nd only applies to muskets.

Exactly. Another annoying version is when they parse the Bill of Rights and other parts of the constitution as being fluid, living text, but then suddenly become obtuse literalists when it comes to the "militia" part of the 2nd Amendment.

quote:

TBH the best conversations I've had was with someone who outright supports repealing 2A, because at least they were being honest. They were an attorney, and willingly acknowledged that things Heller were a real thing that the courts decided even if they personally disagreed with it.

It's fine to disagree with the 2A, just be intellectually honest.

Yeah, it can be refreshing for people to be honest like that, instead of the fudd claiming to support the 2A and then backing all manner of gun control, but at least the latter is somewhere on the spectrum of gun rights and can theoretically be moved to supporting the 2A more. The former are likely immovable.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I think part of life is just realizing that some folks minds can't be changed on some stuff. For the most part I'm fine with that as long as they are consistent in their reasoning and not doing it for the sake of harming some other group of people. I'll accept that someone genuinely thinks the 2nd Amendment should go away, we should confiscate all the guns and make civilian firearm ownership illegal because it would make us all safer. I disagree, but it's just the way it is and if it gets to a point where neither of us is changing our mind it's just not worth banging our heads against that collective wall.

I think for a lot of people (myself included) that grew up arguing on the internet, it's really hard to just accept that sometimes it be like that.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

Akion posted:

I think part of life is just realizing that some folks minds can't be changed on some stuff. For the most part I'm fine with that as long as they are consistent in their reasoning and not doing it for the sake of harming some other group of people. I'll accept that someone genuinely thinks the 2nd Amendment should go away, we should confiscate all the guns and make civilian firearm ownership illegal because it would make us all safer. I disagree, but it's just the way it is and if it gets to a point where neither of us is changing our mind it's just not worth banging our heads against that collective wall.

I think for a lot of people (myself included) that grew up arguing on the internet, it's really hard to just accept that sometimes it be like that.

My point was more about those people whose minds can be changed. The ardent anti-2A people claim they want to make us safer by getting rid of the 2A, but they don't actually want to do things that would actually help the causes of crime, violence, suicide, etc. They want to get rid of the 2A as some kind of panacea that will solve these problems without having to dedicate the time, money, and effort to fix our healthcare system (through which mental healthcare would help with suicides), do something about various forms of systemic inequality, address poverty substantively, change our carceral state and toxic law enforcement, and other issues.

I get it, these things are hard and complex, but they are trying to convince other people that it will work, which is an appealing argument, especially if you're already on the fence about the 2A and constantly bombarded by the media with propaganda about it. That's a serious problem for anyone who supports the 2A.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I just had an epiphany: the internet is useless!

Ultra Carp

They arrested him for shooting someone... but he had THE JUDGE on his side

https://spdblotter.seattle.gov/2021/05/03/police-arrest-man-for-monday-afternoon-downtown-shooting/

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

5th Fleet flexing on all the police departments.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Feds Seize A Dhow haven't seen that account post in years

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

After all illicit cargo was removed, the dhow was assessed for seaworthiness, and after questioning, its crew was provided food and water before being released.

So they just boarded them, jacked their cargo and sent them on their way? Didn't have time to keelhaul any of them or make anyone walk the plank?

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

"They were provided food and water before being released. We kept their boat."

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

I'm not aware of it being involved in a recorded crime yet, but this AR magazine flask seems like it'll eventually get the cops involved.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

I also especially like the promo shots while holding a gun and having it tucked into the dude’s tac vest. Always a great idea to combine booze and firearms! (Well, guncon06 Friday night was something else but we won’t go there)

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

That's actually derpier than that tactical mug with all the railzzz. Anywhere you can carry a rifle/mags, you can carry a canteen or thermos or something. Anywhere they restrict you from having drinkage (be it alcohol or boring), they're gonna stinkeye you at *best* for the AR/rest of your loadout.

Just get a fake-pregnancy bladder and fill that up - I'm pretty sure I've seen dick spookers as well, somewhere.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

That AR mag is going to be an ingredient in some of the most depressing levels of hidden alcoholism.

"My husband always smells like mouth wash and falls down a lot while rambling about being ready for the Antifa Rental Van Hit Squads. But I sure don't see any bottles, so it must be his allergy medication!"

: overlooks rack of AR Mag Flasks :

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013
I have a high school diploma AND a hobby coin project

Now that you're sufficiently in awe, you motherfuckers shut up and let me tell you how human safety in your self driving car works in the REAL WORLD

Ygolonac posted:

tactical mug with all the railzzz.

The WHAT

Like...a mug with 3 picatinny rails on it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Navy seizes weapons, andhow.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

CarForumPoster posted:

The WHAT

Like...a mug with 3 picatinny rails on it?

Yes. Usually advertised with an AR carry handle mounted on one of them to hold it with.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The picatinny mugs are kind of funny as a novelty item. I say this with a .50 BMG bottle opener on my desk.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Y'all are either square or lacking imagination because they guy who shows up at a Halloween party as an antifa super soldier with a chest rig full of bourbon magazines will go down in legend.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Get into shit, let it out like diarrhea
Got burnt once, that was only gonorrhea

gotta agree, it's way more efficient than the bandoleer of minibottles I did once

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Y'all are either square or lacking imagination because they guy who shows up at a Halloween party as an antifa super soldier with a chest rig full of bourbon magazines will go down in legend.

Go as a Bourbonist with powder horns full of bourbon whiskey.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Once, I was thinking of doing a Max Payne 3 costume for conventions, since I have the correct shirt, a lovely shoulder holster, and enough to the mostly-correct toy guns that could be sprayed gold.

Plus pill bottles, to be added to the holster via glued-on elastic shotgun shell holders, and I'd have to carry the guns because there's be a pint bottle of booze in the holster itself.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

stealie72 posted:

Yeah exactly this. I drunk ordered one of those Heat vests from Forgotten Weapons a couple weeks ago, those flasks would be perfect in that dumb thing

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Ygolonac posted:

Once, I was thinking of doing a Max Payne 3 costume for conventions, since I have the correct shirt, a lovely shoulder holster, and enough to the mostly-correct toy guns that could be sprayed gold.

Plus pill bottles, to be added to the holster via glued-on elastic shotgun shell holders, and I'd have to carry the guns because there's be a pint bottle of booze in the holster itself.

A few years ago, I did a shoot as Max Payne (minus the Deagle).
There was another guy there dressed as him with the correct gun.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

Forum Hussy posted:

Yeah exactly this. I drunk ordered one of those Heat vests from Forgotten Weapons a couple weeks ago, those flasks would be perfect in that dumb thing

I really had to stop myself from ordering.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

It's probably a good thing I was dead broke through most of my alcoholic years. I already have so much stupid stuff. I'd imagine drinking + real disposable income = YOU OWN A BOAT NOW!!!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Captain Log posted:

It's probably a good thing I was dead broke through most of my alcoholic years. I already have so much stupid stuff. I'd imagine drinking + real disposable income = YOU OWN A BOAT NOW!!!

Not as bad as phenazapam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

ahh, a boat with a grand piano