Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/05/intels-itanium-cpus-once-a-play-for-64-bit-servers-and-desktops-are-dead/

rest in piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rip

no one cared

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in the intel technology that got left in the dust by amd

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can someone give me an explain like i'm 5

like uranium was a whole new instruction set not backwards compatible with x86 but amd just added into x86 to make x64?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rip itanium

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i have no idea what i'm taking about

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

echinopsis posted:

like uranium was a whole new instruction set not backwards compatible with x86 but amd just added into x86 to make x64?

itanium dumped the x86 baggage in the jump to 64-bit which is good because x86 is terrible but bad because it breaks compat with trash old software

amd tacked on new 64-bit hotness to the x86 crapfest which is bad because it leaves x86 garbage littered around but good because you can still run trash old software

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

echinopsis posted:

there was too much poo poo crammed in there

quote:

Instructions on Itanium are grouped into chunks of three, known as bundles, and each of the three positions in a bundle is known as a slot. A bundle is 128 bits long (16 bytes) and always resides on a 16-byte boundary, so that the last digit of the address is always zero. The Windows debugging engine disassembler shows the three slots as if they were at offsets 0, 4, and 8 in the bundle, but in reality they are all crammed together into one bundle.

You cannot jump into the middle of a bundle.

Now, you can't just put any old instruction into any old slot. There are 32 bundle templates, and each has different rules about what types of instructions they can accept and the dependencies between the the slots. For example, the bundle template MII allows a memory access instruction in slot 0, an integer instruction in slot 1, and another integer instruction in slot 2.

https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=15/08/08/0322238

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Bloody posted:

itanium dumped the x86 baggage in the jump to 64-bit which is good because x86 is terrible but bad because it breaks compat with trash old software

amd tacked on new 64-bit hotness to the x86 crapfest which is bad because it leaves x86 garbage littered around but good because you can still run trash old software

lol dropping 16-bit instruction support when the processor was in 64-bit mode was seen as too extreme for some TurboGoobers out there

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

yes

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
itanium has been dead for years. its VLIW instruction set was garbage and it tried to pawn off a whole bunch of difficult problems on the compiler. well, a compiler that solves those problems well never appeared because it's much harder to solve the problems at compile time than at run time. so while theoretically it was faster in practice it was terrible running real code. it was routinely spanked by x86 processors while using more power. basically it was a total disaster.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

one of the things im doing at work is writing assembly code for a vliw chip, the isa is much more explicit than what ive seen of itaniums, but it's still some serious black magic to get it working well

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

fritz posted:

one of the things im doing at work is writing assembly code for a vliw chip, the isa is much more explicit than what ive seen of itaniums, but it's still some serious black magic to get it working well

hexagon?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ahhh good ol' diminishing_expectations.png

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Management posted:

itanium has been dead for years. its VLIW instruction set was garbage and it tried to pawn off a whole bunch of difficult problems on the compiler. well, a compiler that solves those problems well never appeared because it's much harder to solve the problems at compile time than at run time. so while theoretically it was faster in practice it was terrible running real code. it was routinely spanked by x86 processors while using more power. basically it was a total disaster.

i seem to remember someone in one of the threads that talked about itanium having actually worked on it and said that they actually did solve the compiler issues but the whole thing was laughably mismanaged on every level so it never had a chance anyway

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

echinopsis posted:

itanium had this great idea that like, man, what if the processor could do 6 instructions at once mannn

turns out that's actually a bad idea because figuring out at any given point in a program you *can* do instructions simultaneously is real hard unless you specifically code poo poo with this special snowflake platform in mind which nobody's gonna do

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
a thing cant die if it never lived

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i would really like to see a new big deal processor architecture that's not ARM or x86 some time just because i think it would be real interesting and the way computers do things has changed a bunch since the loving 1980's but that's never gonna happen lol

or at least in the future when there's quantum neural cyberbrains or w/e they'll still have an x86 compatibility mode for running your company's lovely Java 5 accounting software

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

i would really like to see a new big deal processor architecture that's not ARM or x86 some time just because i think it would be real interesting and the way computers do things has changed a bunch since the loving 1980's but that's never gonna happen lol

or at least in the future when there's quantum neural cyberbrains or w/e they'll still have an x86 compatibility mode for running your company's lovely Java 5 accounting software

https://riscv.org/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

eh i guess, i was hoping for something more x86-y with a million loving instructions and extensions and stuff

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

arm64 is an entirely new architecture that shares very little with the 32-bit arm ISA. it is designed for modern, high end processors.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

eh i guess, i was hoping for something more x86-y with a million loving instructions and extensions and stuff

but that's garbage and actively defeats modern microarchitectures.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

this too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperH#J_Core

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

that isnt modern tho

tty0
Mar 8, 2015

ah yes, you were hoping for something more like x86, but that isn't at all like x86.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
arm64 is a really nice isa. in contrast, risc-v is garbage trash for idiots

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

lol where is that graph from?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

rjmccall posted:

arm64 is a really nice isa. in contrast, risc-v is garbage trash for idiots

i don't have any technical opinions but every weird architecture is supposed to be cheap and have quirky new setups like the hp moonshot thing and instead we get stupid crap from chinese companies trying to make a quick buck like the raspberry pi, orange pi, whatever the gently caress else pi

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

itanium had this great idea that like, man, what if the processor could do 6 instructions at once mannn

turns out that's actually a bad idea because figuring out at any given point in a program you *can* do instructions simultaneously is real hard unless you specifically code poo poo with this special snowflake platform in mind which nobody's gonna do

modern cpus are great at doing a million things at once, that's part of the problem. instruction bundles are like branch delay slots, a short-sighted attempt to work around microarchitecture limitations that engineers were already fixing by the time the hardware came out. vliw lets you trivially perform a couple operations at once, but a modern cpu wants to be doing way more in parallel than that, so it's going to end up scheduling arbitrary operations and resolving data dependencies and speculating all over the place, at which point what exactly are you getting from vliw? meanwhile there will always be places where the compiler is just like, well gently caress i need to do a poo poo-ton of loads here and i've got pretty limited flexibility to reschedule them so i guess i'm not filling all these bundles and code size is going to hell

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

That Robot posted:

lol where is that graph from?

the Itanium wikipedia page they compiled the various intel sales projections in to one handy graph

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

but that's garbage and actively defeats modern microarchitectures.

x86 is a terrible isa but it's not because it's got a million instructions, it's because it's a variable-length unaligned format with a ton of prefixes and suffixes and special case operand encodings many of which vary depending on the current processor mode, so you can't even figure out where the next instruction starts without fully decoding the current one which is extremely complex to do

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tty0 posted:

ah yes, you were hoping for something more like x86, but that isn't at all like x86.

yes exactly

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Wait, what is the storage technology called? Pentanium? Or something? Optanium?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

no, and bossman gets testy when i say too much, once things get public rest assured i'll post in the terrible prog. thread about it

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
optaneium

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rjmccall posted:

x86 is a terrible isa but it's not because it's got a million instructions, it's because it's a variable-length unaligned format with a ton of prefixes and suffixes and special case operand encodings many of which vary depending on the current processor mode, so you can't even figure out where the next instruction starts without fully decoding the current one which is extremely complex to do

it also has strict memory ordering that creates horrible unnecessary dependencies, exacerbated by instructions that directly reference memory operands (I know the uarch doesn't but it still has to maintain their transactional order for writeback). the register use in the ABI is awful. 16 registers and half of them are almost never touched in generated code.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

fritz posted:

no, and bossman gets testy when i say too much, once things get public rest assured i'll post in the terrible prog. thread about it

no, post to a good thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i would really like to see a new big deal processor architecture

is this even possible without the ability to license a metric buttload of patents. like the only people who can afford to do it are the ones who can keep coasting on improving their legacy crap, right?

• Locked thread