Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

counterpoitnt : itanium is alive

it's dead you fractal-hating smoothbrain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

atomicthumbs posted:

call me when as/400 gets 8 threads per core with 12 cores at 4.35 ghz :smuggo:

edit: die size of 795 mm2

is high speed mode a turbo button? because i want a server with a turbo button

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RISCy Business posted:

it's dead you fractal-hating smoothbrain

wtf is a smoothebain?

"oh my my brain is deficient in surface area"

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
smooth brained is a very high brow insult

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

wtf is a smoothebain?

lol if u don't know why that is bad

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

echinopsis posted:

wtf is a smoothebain?

the wrinkles in your brain are where you keep your thoughts so if you have a lot of them you're real smart just like how laugh lines show how much laughter you've had in your life

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

is high speed mode a turbo button? because i want a server with a turbo button

enterprise stuff will arbitrarily gate cores or frequency modes or other poo poo that's already there in hardware unless you pay for an additional license its a weird sector

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
should be unlocked by a turbo button under a clear cover with a bigass padlock then. you pay for turbo mode, you get the key

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
sun servers used to have actual physical keys that you needed to boot the server (i think)

what a weird era

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

RISCy Business posted:

sun servers used to have actual physical keys that you needed to boot the server (i think)

what a weird era

my dad had a computer case with a lock like that, where you turned a key to connect the power button circuit. i guess that's kinda useful in that you could also prevent someone from accidentally turning the thing off back when hitting the power button meant "WHELP LET'S FREAK OUT AND TURN OFF" to most OS'es

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

ate all the Oreos posted:

my dad had a computer case with a lock like that, where you turned a key to connect the power button circuit. i guess that's kinda useful in that you could also prevent someone from accidentally turning the thing off back when hitting the power button meant "WHELP LET'S FREAK OUT AND TURN OFF" to most OS'es

i have one at my desk at work, i'll have to take a picture

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i just remembered that case also had a turbo button AND the little two-digit LED screen that showed the tens of megahertz your bitchin' hot rod of a 386 was running at :allears:

my dad used that case long after that stopped being relevant but he hardwired it somehow so that it just stuck at 99 because he likes having a bunch of annoying meaningless LED's on everything

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Only 90s kids will understand!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

some Mac towers had a 3 way switch:
off = cannot turn off or on (useless?)
locked = turned on, no mouse or kb access, cannot turn off
on = normal

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

that's ok for like servers

but then piss garbage software makers for geography decided to take the term license key literally :commissar:

travelling wave
Nov 25, 2013

atomicthumbs posted:

call me when as/400 gets 8 threads per core with 12 cores at 4.35 ghz :smuggo:

edit: die size of 795 mm2

well...

the 4.35ghz+ parts are hard to find, but they do exist

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

counterpoitnt : itanium is alive

as with all corporate technology that which is dead can never die

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

enterprise stuff will arbitrarily gate cores or frequency modes or other poo poo that's already there in hardware unless you pay for an additional license its a weird sector

it's a literal selling point of modern mainframes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I can't believe I read the whole thing!

• Locked thread