Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The smash hit comedy that is the Philadelphia DA's office keeps the hits rolling in by electing a former defense attorney to the position. (Technically Krasner only won the Democratic primary, but in Philly politics, that's the same as winning the election about 99% of the time. Reactions range from "there was a primary yesterday?" to OH MY GOD WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE, CRIMINALS WILL BE CUTTING DOWN LAW-ABIDING CITIZENS IN THE STREETS, BRANDON BOSTIAN WILL BE GIVEN A TRAIN TO DRIVE DOWN BROAD STREET TO SATE HIS LUST FOR BLOOD WHILE KRASNER LUBES HIS ROD WITH WIDOWS' TEARS

For the uninformed, Christine Flowers is a columnist for the Daily News, which is to say she is a columnist for the Philadelphia Inquirer whose parent company also owns (but no longer publishes) the Daily News in physical form. She is an immigration lawyer who harshly condemned Trumps attempted travel bans, and health care repeals, and the composure of the man himself. She's also a firm supporter of well-known bags of snakes plodding around in man-shaped skins Jeff Sessions and Neil Gosruch (and isn't it just awful the way Democrats played politics with his nomination the same way they did with that nice Robert Bork fellow). Although these may seem like contradictions they are in fact easily explained by today's column, and her staunchly anti-choice/pro-death penalty Catholicism. Basically, she's a law-and-order Democrat who doesn't understand why anyone would get so upset (and so rude!) about anything beyond her lived experience.

The worth of the arguments in the column itself are left to the judgment of the reader.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Peven Stan posted:

Can someone hook me up with a sweet IT job in philly, last time I visited I really enjoyed the outright hostility and contempt from the locals.
I hear enough people complaining about this that I really think the tourism office ought to publish a brochure or something. But the trick is, you need to find the local ward leader and inflate your neck pouches as large as you can. You don't have to make them bigger, just puff them up enough to look worthy of respect.

Or just apply to Penn's IT department, I guess? They probably need a lot of positions to keep their 5-year plan to own an entire city on schedule.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I didn't pay too much attention to the DA race because I live outside city limits, but Krasner seems like an alright dude. I liked his ad the best. Though I am a bit surprised he won by 20 points in a 7 man race. Going from noted Death Penalty Aficionado Lynne Abraham to Krasner in under a decade is one hell of (good) jump. My fondest Seth Williams memory is probably him telling the cops to gently caress off after the Shady McCoy barfight. Speaking of the trainman, Bostian surrendered to the charges filed by the State after a judge told them to do it. I want to see the defense call Seth Williams as a witness just for the irony.
Rich Negrin, who used to be a city managing director, was the candidate endorsed the by the Fraternal Order of Police. He came in 3rd. 2nd place was Joe Khan, while Tariq El-Shabazz placed 4th. El-Shabbaz was the 1st deputy DA under Williams, which would have ordinarily made him the favorite but considering how Seth Williams left office, the candidate's own financial questions likely cost him a lot of support. Krasner got a lot of his campaign funds for George Soros, to which I can only shrug and go "Well, yeah. Did the people bringing that up think Citizens United was somehow magically only going to benefit Republicans?" Speaking of, Beth Grossman, sole Republican candidate for the position garnered 99.54% of the Republican primary vote. I didn't see ads for any of them because I mostly watch Netfix but I definitely saw more signs for Krasner posted around the city.

As to what it all means, I suspect an awful lot of the people who pay attention and care enough to vote in a municipal DA primary cast their vote for the guy who looked like he'd piss off Trump/Sessions the most. The general election will probably see Grossman adopted by an ALEC sugar daddy of her own, and pick up cross-party support from Democrats who think Krasner is planning to just throw open the prison doors or something. I doubt either will overcome the massive difference in party registration.

• Locked thread