Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Man I need to unlock that rocket launcher model already

Also nice quad ninja

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The best part (or worst if the responsibility happened to fall you) of Clan Arena was when a lopsided round that ends in a 1v3 gets turned around by the underdog turning into a roiding psychotic Batman picking off everyone 1 by 1 while rocketing around at mach 9.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

This game is a disaster in every way possible except how the TDM is pretty fun.

Honestly if they managed to turn this around it probably won't happen at release but like a year from now.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This game is fun.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hoepfully it's something that will be different for release, but for a game that encourages quick matches, it takes so drat long to get into a match. The client takes ages to start, then the game itself has to load, then you have to go all the way back to the lobby and do it again.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah I hate that it takes so drat long for everything. I miss joining a server, and just follow the map rotation.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ever since matchmaking took over I've come to expect long waits in FPSs.
How do you even get to that sniper platform with the portal?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Guillermus posted:

Yeah I hate that it takes so drat long for everything. I miss joining a server, and just follow the map rotation.

The good old days :sigh:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Heran Bago posted:

How do you even get to that sniper platform with the portal?

I showed it to air when were playing on Discord earlier today, actually. There's nothing interesting over there to make it worth the effort because the teleport just goes to the Quad Damage. Maybe you could just wait for Quad to spawn and then go in the teleport to try and telefrag-and-steal or something, but that's about it.

Anyway, you have to rocket jump after one or two bunny hops in order to make it to the platform. You can't do it while standing, sadly.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
You can also just use Ranger's special to teleport over there, but again, that's of dubious use unless you just want to spend the entire match futilely railing at folks coming for the Megahealth.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I'm trying to get my fps as high as possible, and fyi - a friend mentioned that there's currently a known bug where setting everything to low results in long load times :gonk:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Poor optimization? In MY beta?!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Kins posted:

There's a known bug mentioned in the patch notes where the lightning won't render if your target is out of range.

Ah. Well there's that, but there's also the fact that the game is a jittery mess this week. Hope they iron out those servers soon.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

air- posted:

I'm trying to get my fps as high as possible, and fyi - a friend mentioned that there's currently a known bug where setting everything to low results in long load times :gonk:

I recall reading about this. Something to do with the game taking the map textures and compressing them into low quality, taking a lot of processor time as it does this. Iirc, at least.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Holy hell this game is laggy today.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

"Why am I playing it? It's got everything I love. Loot crates, abilities, mediocre netcode, and long waiting times"

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

air- posted:

I guess that might explain why it's three minutes to load the main menu, and two for the first match load. :(

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
This game badly needs an auto-switch weapon hierarchy ala Unreal Tournament. As far as I can tell it's just on or off when picking up a weapon.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Yodzilla posted:

This game badly needs an auto-switch weapon hierarchy ala Unreal Tournament. As far as I can tell it's just on or off when picking up a weapon.

Yeah, I thought autoswitch was a standard feature, but as far as I can tell it was only ever a UT thing?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Mordja posted:

Yeah, I thought autoswitch was a standard feature, but as far as I can tell it was only ever a UT thing?

Quake Live also supported this. There were a lot of UI improvements and customization, exlcuding forced models/bright skins, that they did in QL that should be standard.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I said it before and I'll say it again: hitting a bunch of people with acid as they rush you and then hearing the damage tick on your death screen until they die is the best :allears:

I need to practice with the rail more. I keep flubbing easy shots.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 15, 2017

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Playing this game is the equivalent of texting with your ex girlfriend from high school then meeting up and her turning out to be 40 pounds heavier AND THE ROCKETS STILL DONT loving WORK

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Not really sure why this would be worth any effort to implement. Can't you just use weapon switch binds?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
getting good at switching with binds quickly is very beneficial for your gameplay anyhow

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bloodmobile posted:

Not really sure why this would be worth any effort to implement. Can't you just use weapon switch binds?

Its convenient? The effort to implement is extremely trivial.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

getting good at switching with binds quickly is very beneficial for your gameplay anyhow

I've gotten 1 in muscle memory because you can't switch to the gauntlet from the scroll wheel. :(

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Bloodmobile posted:

Yeah you can I just thought it was a really nice thing that UT provided.

e: in QC chat, I really want to like the roller girl but she has like no health and armor and isn't THAT much fast than most other characters. Her ability kinda sucks too

I also think Visor is real lame.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Сука Блять

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Personally I rebound everything to 1234QWR and I had assumed everybody else did something similar. Highly recommend.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I have mouse 4 and 5 to lightning and RL, F to shotgun, R to rail.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Mordja posted:

Descent 1 and 2 did this well before all of these "on foot" FPS games. :colbert:

My weapon binds are:

4 = Machine Gun
Mousewheel Up = Shotgun
Mousewheel Down = Nailgun
Space = Lightning Gun
V = Rocket Launcher
Mouse Thumb Back = Railgun*
Mouse Thumb Forward = Gauntlet

* This lets you do Rail finishers or doing a last shot before losing sight of target as you run away (or they run away). The way weapon switch works, it is faster to be using any weapon and when you either think that 80 damage will finish someone or if they are about to not be in line of sight, quick switching to rail and firing is super helpful. Switching TO railgun is fast. Switching away from it is slow (after you've fired).

Oh, and I jump with RMB and use ESDF for movement. Deal.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Jumping with RMB is definitely ideal in quake games. Takes less time to depress than spacebar with most keyboards and won't make your hand tired as fast.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Psht, all these people talkin about rebinds.

I don't need any of that!

I'm playin with the Steam Controller

Beat that, nerds. :smuggo:

:shepicide:

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

quake champs has autojump anyways, you can just hold down the button to continuously jump

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There'll be an hour long downtime at 10am ET to apply a patch for the LG shaft disappearing.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Its convenient? The effort to implement is extremely trivial.

and yet, its probably the first thing you should switch off for an arena shooter...

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Why isn't there a grenade launcher?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Why isn't there a grenade launcher?

Rapha mentioned that on stream, said it'd make the game feel too spammy.

I'd take a plasma gun over the nail gun.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

The Kins posted:

There'll be an hour long downtime at 10am ET to apply a patch for the LG shaft disappearing.

praise be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

air- posted:

Rapha mentioned that on stream, said it'd make the game feel too spammy.

I'd take a plasma gun over the nail gun.

There are a lot of potentially good angles for grenades on the new maps, shame they removed them. All the guns feel like a step back from either their quake 3 or quakeworld counterparts. The models aren't memorable and take up a lot of screen space, hopefully they'll add in all the missing options from quake live for centering, hiding and gun model opacity.

Rockets, delay aside feel like they are slower than the quake 3 ones. The 10 damage bonus to rail on zooming feels out of place. Nails don't have any knock back like they do in quakeworld. The damage doesn't seem as high as plasma so it lacks the threat that this type of gun used to have. Shotgun feels good, so does lg, bug aside.

The best part about the game is Sacrifice, I'm a sucker for anything ctf like and I hope when they do classic mode they roll in all the movement types together into a single class that everyone plays as. Combining crouch sliding with quakeworld air control and quake 3 strafe jumping for long stretches with the ability to wall jump sounds more fun than the base game, but I'm a huge movement grog and that's probably not appealing for everyone.