Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

loga mira posted:

Had the same association, but I think it's intentional, the gun models you can buy are more interesting. There's Q3 mg, Q2 rail, Q1 rocket, and something else. They are bought with the currency you get by destroying other cosmetics, I broke down all crap I got over six or so levels and only got to a third of the amount needed to buy one gun, maybe they'll make them cheaper in the future. I can probably buy one of them now, the rail maybe.

I managed to get enough shards out of one of the three item chests. Bought the q3 mg, it is good.

Actually forgot to mention but during last beta round one of those chests landed me the strogg lightning gun so I guess they can drop as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Yodzilla posted:

Very much so yes.

I just downloaded the new UT again after a bit to try the new mode and, uh, I was surprised at how much I didn't like it. The weapons all feel way better than Quake Champions but it's kinda ugly and I felt so goddamn slow.

UT's always been slower than Quake, but I'm surprised because I really like the look of the new UT game, WIP though it is. Especially compared to UT3's aesthetic.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

If you want to play an updated UT try toxikk. There are no players online but you can get a free version *shrug*

Edit - to clarify toxikk isn't great but it'll satisfy your dodge jumping needs for a little bit

cougar cub fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 18, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yodzilla posted:

Very much so yes.

I just downloaded the new UT again after a bit to try the new mode and, uh, I was surprised at how much I didn't like it. The weapons all feel way better than Quake Champions but it's kinda ugly and I felt so goddamn slow.

New UT showed some promise for simply being a arena shooter, and I love my flak cannon, but yeah its real obvious its in early development and is never leaving it because it only ever had a skeleton crew working on it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

beaten but super shotgun is on every map

btw making hard turns around corners while going fast as Slash by sliding is fun

Slash is probably my favorite champion to play as because of that. Roller derby with guns :getin:

orly
Oct 2, 2005

Put up another stream. Did they add server authoritative collision detection? I have to adjust my aim again....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tguuH3QU1m0

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
Spent an entire day playing as crusader chick.... partly because I got some of her epic gear out of a random box and partly because I've never seen anybody play her... she's not "bad"?

I only bothered with sacrifice but she's pretty OK, and her heal is often an "I get full health now gently caress you" button if you are alone.

Dunno, but I'm rotating between her and Visor now, though I have a soft spot for the Lizard... and I will totally spend real monies so I can wear an egg while I vomit on people.

EDIT- Also this game is the first one that's made me ditch the high speed Artisan Hayate OSU pad and go back to a Steelseries QCK+ to make my shots, which is certainly something. It's also pointed out to me just how loving horrible at aim, movement, and other core skills things like Overwatch make you. There is shoot mans and then there is Quake.

MysteriousStranger fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 21, 2017

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

MysteriousStranger posted:

Spent an entire day playing as crusader chick.... partly because I got some of her epic gear out of a random box and partly because I've never seen anybody play her... she's not "bad"?

She was good last weekends because she had a bugged hitbox. A lot of players were abusing that. The newest patch fixed a lot of stuff including loving up some hitscan poo poo because I havent been doing halfway as good with the shaft. I really hope they get the hit detection / netcode stuff figured out before released this.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

yeah the hit detection was really off during this tech test week, it was almost as if the hitboxes were dragging behind the enemy's direction of movement

I had several hits that were clear misses on the back side of the travel direction and several pass throughs that should have been hits from the front side

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

yeah the hit detection was really off during this tech test week, it was almost as if the hitboxes were dragging behind the enemy's direction of movement

I had several hits that were clear misses on the back side of the travel direction and several pass throughs that should have been hits from the front side

gently caress. That's literally how people described how QL's hit detection felt. Which also explains the delay on the rockets.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well if you believe anything Total Biscuit says, then you can join the inconsistent latency issues a portion of us had with extremely precise hit boxes on the models. No idea who he was talking to or what Tweets he read, but in his rundown video he claimed more than one old Q3 pro returning to try to beta had commented on the hitboxes.

His video also claimed you could go F2P with the rental/pay-as-you-go method, or buy it outright and not have to pay for any future champions. Like Overwatch.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Mindblast posted:

gently caress. That's literally how people described how QL's hit detection felt. Which also explains the delay on the rockets.

QLs hitbox tech was so old. Player models had a invisible box (which became a cylinder later on) that, thanks to the net code and animations, would "drag" behind the visible player model allowing for hits counting when missing the player model. The faster a player is moving the greater the discrepancy.

As well, every hitbox was the same regardless of the model size so some of the larger models stuck "out" of the hitbox meaning you could shoot the player model but nothing would register. Or shoot over the head of smaller player models and still have it register.

Still the greatest game ever made. Xaero team model and bright green Keel enemy model :rock:

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

yes that's correct, the F2P model is everyone gets Ranger for free as default. Then you can choose to spend the currency you earn in game to rent (5k for 24hr rental) any champ you want. If you buy the game you get all champs permanently unlocked.

The precise hitbox issue is most obvious on Nyx, it was so difficult to keep consistent LG damage on her. Her arms were outside of the hitbox or something. Anarki had this problem too but at least for me it didn't seem as bad against him, his box might be slightly larger than Nyx's.

Mindblast posted:

at the very least they have acknowledged the rocket delay and said that they are going to fix it

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I don't know much about netcode, how common is this issue?. I know for sure Left 4 Dead 2 Had the model dragging way behind the hitboxes and you had to WAG levelling chargers and stunning jumping hunters based on your ping, their ping, and server tic rate.

And yes it was at about that point I quit playing because it was sad to know that much. Short video of it in action:

https://youtu.be/EKKQmdRFIgY

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 23, 2017

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

yeah you have the gist of it

it comes down to the client LERPing the positions of objects to eliminate the jittery nature of networked objects versus how authoritative the server wants to be with regards to where clients place shots and the actual positions of objects as known by the server

having higher server fps, less aggressive lerps, and just putting more trust into the client can all reduce the problem

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
What are the odds of them fixing/changing the weird FPS/Upload speed thing? I had to limit my FPS to 60 in order to even play, and even with that done, I would still sometimes hit a ping of 500.

I just wanna play Quake. :c

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Sdoots posted:

What are the odds of them fixing/changing the weird FPS/Upload speed thing? I had to limit my FPS to 60 in order to even play, and even with that done, I would still sometimes hit a ping of 500.

I just wanna play Quake. :c

very high chance, because this last week was a special tech test that had all kinds of telemetry data uploading constantly

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Whens the next beta period start?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MysteriousStranger posted:

Whens the next beta period start?
10am ET on the 26th

Dommer416
Aug 4, 2013

Hello little children your uncle is here.
For me, I played a lot of Quake 3 as a kid. I didn't get to play it a lot because I had to hide it in the hard drive of the family computer somewhere, but that one or two times a month that it was 3AM and no one was awake I had an amazing time.

The way I see it, theres 2 camps. 1 is that people just want a graphics update to their 90's nostalgia trip and the other is demanding that the game be innovative and new. Games like TF2 can do that pretty easily with new game modes plus the players can make poo poo up as they go along. When new games like overwatch come out to try and innovate you end up with people ditching the old one for the new and no one plays anything when they're bored with the new one (because OW is way too simple). I recently got Quake Live and I am happy with that permanently in my life.

Playing QC kind of just reminded me of Q3, except now there are appropriate twists. I like that you can still play classic fast characters that don't really do too much, visor for example, or you can play absolute tanks. Theres nothing stopping an experienced player from coming in and playing quake as they would, or a new player just trying it out. I like that about it.

Theres also people saying that the new format kills the old skills you needed to have; an example of that being keeping track of timers in your head or strafe jumping. If one was to be concerned about timers, theres nothing stopping you from staying on one side of a map and going "Oh mega is up" and slamming a kill and building your stack. The timers are helpful to the new players. Same as strafe jumps; its just an arbitrary skill to time the jumps. Now, if the devs wanted to, they could make hitting the jumps in sequence have better speed by like 100 or something, but I doubt that would happen.

Over all though, the game is.... Comfortable. Runs great on everything and if what I read a lot on reddit is true and it gets ported / built on OpenGL I'll be able to play it more often (I'm a linux user).

My only problems with the game come from it being in beta. I like Uriel as my player model, I use Lefty models, the settings aren't very detailed yet, picky poo poo like that. If they can nail the settings down like they did with Live I'll be happy enough with that.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Duel doesn't have timers on the pickups, they're the same as old Quake. DM is just random fun so I'm not really fussed about them being on there. The only thing I'd like if I'm going to be playing more is a heck of a lot more maps. I had a lot of fun playing UT2004 years ago when you could find big map rotations in public lobbies. Eventually it just became 4 servers running dm-rankin I think.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

At least Rankin was better than deck

edit - THAT'S RIGHT, I SAID IT.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

cougar cub posted:

At least Rankin was better than deck

edit - THAT'S RIGHT, I SAID IT.

disagree

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

A few days ago the community manager made a thread where you can ask the devs anything. It's more than a dozen pages and a few days in, but they haven't answered any questions yet.

I'm curious why all the characters keep changing their mind about who to kill last.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Quake Champions needs more Chuck Norris jokes IMHO.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

That's a rather lovely set of patch notes. Tweaked spawn system, changed scoring in sacrifice.

Calling it now that the current state of the game will not change much for release.

Hopefully the rocket delay fix is actually decent.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

cougar cub posted:

That's a rather lovely set of patch notes. Tweaked spawn system, changed scoring in sacrifice.

Calling it now that the current state of the game will not change much for release.

Hopefully the rocket delay fix is actually decent.

Game is still fun. I haven't had this much of a blast in ages but I am an old who grew up on this series so.....

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

If the rockets are better after this the game will immediately feel 100% better to play. I'd still like to see more maps and less ambient noise and waiting around for matches. Also fewer lg spawns on sarnath and burial chamber

also make slash spawn with 100/25 again

Ahhpple fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 26, 2017

Kaludan
Jul 2, 2009
I was quite disappointed in both this and Lawbreakers. The engine just feels clunky. The maps also don't feel "Quake" and it's missing the music.

Even if it's free, UT4 sets a high bar to match and Battleborn is so cheap it's practically free and at least has some story and emoting voice acted characters.

I'm not sure what demographic they are trying to target with this. High skill cap for people who can't afford the AAA high skill cap games such as Titanfall is an odd combination.

Then again I still don't understand why Quake Wars didn't do well so I'm apparently no judge of the masses.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kaludan posted:

Even if it's free, UT4 sets a high bar to match
It's also violently unfinished and will remain that way forever because Epic cares more about engine licensing and some MOBA.

Kaludan posted:

and Battleborn is so cheap it's practically free and at least has some story and emoting voice acted characters.
Nice troll.

Kaludan posted:

Then again I still don't understand why Quake Wars didn't do well so I'm apparently no judge of the masses.
It did poorly because it was a lame Battlefield clone and ran like a dog with no legs on the systems of the time. Also, it was a Quake game with no gibs. Ponder this.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

it feels like ranger is hella broken tho like why use any other character when i have the fastest one with a translocator skill

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kaludan posted:

Even if it's free, UT4 sets a high bar to match and Battleborn is so cheap it's practically free and at least has some story and emoting voice acted characters.

http://i.imgur.com/ouHSWzt.gifv

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The beta's back up for a few days, by the way.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

The Kins posted:

The beta's back up for a few days, by the way.

Why even bother, Battleborn is released

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Rapha said during his stream that the rocket launcher is improved but still a little bit laggy

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Quake Wars felt like some weird total conversion of an Enemy Territory that never actually came out.

Excited to get on this again tonight and hopefully have better luck than I have the last few weekends. Can anyone tell if it's still using a lot of upload speed?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah I'll be very disappointed if there are no changes this beta. It just kills morale not to mention it makes you question what you are testing anyways.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Just saw on the beta forums that the lead designer is SyncError, the old QLive / Q4 community manager. That's really too bad - he is the type of guy who thinks zooming in with rail is an "interesting gameplay choice!!!!" Also I think he is a polite holier-than-thou dick from his Esreality posts over the years.

Also confirmed that there is no matchmaking ranking (mmr) system in place yet for players.

No plans for clan arena. Really stupid as it's a great intro game mode. Not even a "we are thinking about it" response.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

cougar cub posted:

Just saw on the beta forums that the lead designer is SyncError, the old QLive / Q4 community manager. That's really too bad - he is the type of guy who thinks zooming in with rail is an "interesting gameplay choice!!!!" Also I think he is a polite holier-than-thou dick from his Esreality posts over the years.

He's a loving moron. He's who dropped the ball on Quakelive for like 10 years straight. Every terrible design decision in Quake has been spearheaded by that guy which is why I wonder if this game will be successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Quake Chumpions