Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

AradoBalanga posted:

Ah yes, SRW L. The swan song for the DS that everyone dropped about a month or two after its release because Hakai-hen's first trailer came out and stole all the hype. Which is a shame because L is a good game, especially since this was the first game for the then-all new handheld team.

Also, say hello and goodbye to Henry Gilliam for good. I believe that L is the only SRW he appears in, the rest of Frontier's appearances either start after Henry dies or just stick to the movies' plot and forget about him.

Gilliam does show up in the movies...only to just die the same way and has even less of a presence in the plot.

Anyway, Brunom, I honestly figured you'd take a break and just LP V now that it's out and already translated to begin with, but we do appreciate you doing God(dannar's ahahahaha shoot me now) work by LPing another SRW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

I really have no idea why Athrun even bothers with the charade in-universe. I mean, in the original Gundam Char wore a mask basically all the time and was using a fake name to begin with so the fact that people don't recognize him when he wears sunglasses isn't that implausible.

In SEED? Athrun was known to be the son of one of the series' major antagonists, never wore a mask of any persuasion, and IIRC was fairly well-known publicly. Hell, just him being around Cagalli would be enough for people who actually knew the guy fairly well to put two and two together. The whole "Alex Dino" thing is so half-assed it's kind of absolutely hilarious.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

To be fair, SEED had the masked dude role handled by the spectacular Rau Le Creuset, who is one of the best Char clones in the franchise. That said, there is a honest reason for Athrun to wear a disguise/use an alias: his father tried to genocide all life on Earth so the PLANT could rule the Earth sphere. Much like how Char picked up an alias partially to distance himself from his father's ramblings about Newtypes, Athrun is in the same situation after SEED. He's the son of genocidal maniac and using his real name would cause not only problems for himself, but also for ORB because they could easily be accused of harboring a fugitive by the now more ultra hyper evil racist Earth Federation. So yeah, Athrun is kind of in a tough spot and would make for some interesting character exploration. For instance, have a look at how someone deals with the fallout of their father's ramblings, except this person is not a selfish egotistical sociopath, but is instead a more decent and level-headed kind of guy.

Unfortunately, the infamous "Sunrise Second Season" curse crashed into the room and we all know what happened after that.

See, I get that. I honestly do, and it's a legitimately interesting character idea.

It's just that since the visual aspect of that is so hilariously pathetic in execution it's kind of difficult to take the rest of it seriously.

...I feel like there's a disparaging joke about SEED Destiny that could be made here but I can't think of one, sadly. :v:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It's not supposed to be a very good disguise, Athrun just doesn't want to parade around the name of "guy who almost killed everyone on Earth" and says as much. (And of course for full irony they end up running into Zala supporters not long afterwards.)

Okay, real talk: I get what they were going for and the concept behind it is interesting on paper...but the problem is that what I see as a viewer is basically Athrun transparently cosplaying as Quattro and thus I end up focusing less on the legitimate reasons and interesting character ideas behind it and instead I go "lol, look at the lame zeta gundum reference."

• Locked thread