Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I believe Alto's traditional Ace bonus is "can transform without wasting an action" but I never played L so I dunno what'll happen there. Does it have Ace bonuses or is that what the squad leader thing is for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Oh, okay. No custom ace bonuses. You mentioned the squad bonus upgrades, is that tied to full upgrades then?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Oh my God, of course Athrun tries to be Quattro. I never knew that, but it's so perfect for him.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Mikl posted:

Oh man, I love Kotetsushin Jeeg :allears: It's one of the few post-2000 series that fully captures the sheer goofiness, fun, and awesome of old-school mecha series, and it's a shame it only ever got a dozen episodes. (But on the other hand, it means rewatches are easy...)

e. :siren: update at the bottom of the previous page! :siren:

Yeah, I've got no idea how involved Uncle Go was with its production, but it's very easy to look at what just happened and go "yup, that's some Go Nagai alright."

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I'm avoiding looking up the cast list for the time being. It's neat, but very confusing, seeing everything come together. And I do mean everything. I know there's still Iczer & Godannar to come, plus I'm assuming some kinda Getter.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Ashsaber posted:

All I know about Goddanar is that even by my relatively high anime tolerance it was really skeevy. I think I watched like the first five minutes of the pilot, and the idea of an adult man taking a bride who was still in highschool just sent me running.

I am interested to see how things go however, since the mech looks cool whenever I see it, and I probably don't have to deal with the female body proportions from the show as much in LP form.

I was never quite sure if it was Problematic or if they were just insufferable, by my admittedly low anime tolerance. Amusingly, I think they end up putting Goh in a big coma so that, by anime logic, Anna gets older while he stays the same age. :/

It is a cool mech though.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I'm still working on the idea of Kouji, Tetsuya, and Kouji Tetsuya teaming up.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I just hope he doesn't touch Shinji. They'd cause an antimatter explosion.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Mikl posted:

Heyyyy, it's my favourite Wing character! How ya been, Noin? :dance:

Noin might be my favorite female character in Gundam. Pilots more than Sayla, cries less than Rain.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I like that Kouichi isn't immediately on our team even when he finally starts listening. But Jesus, guy, just because you finally got a hammer doesn't mean all your problems are suddenly nails. Why you gotta do Yajima like that?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I found a Gundam Wing rewatch podcast and at episode 7 I finally remember the show's overarching plot and the fact that Lady Une is a stone-cold killer. It's so funny to me that SRW L seems to be post-Endless Waltz, because your first exposure to Une is her working to corral all the heroic groups into LOTUS. The first noteworthy thing Une does in Wing is kidnap a General, trick him into recording a propaganda piece for Treize, then kick him out of a plane and shoot him in the head. In that order.

It's a perfect example of Wing Logic.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I think I get what he means. It's not a character growth problem, although they might be trying to pass it off as one.

Basically, imagine if her arm was broken & stuck in a cast. When it's fixed, it doesn't represent any character development; It just got better. It doesn't say anything about her self-confidence or drive.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Oh yeah, well definitely get a better feel for this once Jerk Uncle and Alice's sister come back.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I love the novelty of a villain just dropping by to explain his evil plots. It lead to the annoying trope of him getting away Scott Free because of ~master planning~ but whatever, at least he put on a good show.

Also Wufei is still as big a dirtbag as ever, I see. Was this the last SRW to feature Wing?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

If you're gonna have your villain stop by to have a friendly chat, you might as well have him be a fucker.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Kouichi must awaken the ORION OF JUSTICE to defeat the Imaginative Big Dipper.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I like HL-0's line about not understanding human instincts in light of the fact they just made a game entirely about the robot subpilot trying to understand Love.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

AradoBalanga posted:

Technically, Mode-B does exist in the manga. It's just drastically different from the anime's "generic mid/late-season super mode" ability.

For those curious, The manga version of "Mode-B" is better known as "Linebarrel (Amagatsu)". As in Emi's father, Amagatsu Kizaki, loading his actual brain into Linebarrel prior to the start of the series and then one day deciding to go berserk because things weren't going as he wanted them to. Oh, and Amagatsu traps Kouichi inside so he gets a first-person view of Linebarrel going insane and attacking everyone. Because Emi's father is kind of a dick.

What about Reiji's flip? Sore mo watashi da?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Oh, hah.

The Linebarrel was protected from the computer attack because it used Two Factor Authentification.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

It's still a little weird seeing the name Jinrai tossed around so much in here when I know the OGs version better. I can never tell enemy mooks apart to begin with.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

My secret hope is always that they rewrite NGE as an old school, '70s-as-hell Super Robot CHAMPION OF JUSTICE.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

What will you do now, Rushbird of the Heavens? :smug:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Alacron posted:

So regarding Baruba-Jeeg:

I'm assuming this was intentional.

Go Nagai's later stuff is so self-referential I'd be shocked if it wasn't intentional. He reused a character design from Abashiri Family in Cutie Honey, and like 30 years later made a crossover where it's literally the same guy. (Or his twin. I forget.)

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I wish they'd put Relena in charge of a battleship. Use a little creative license, guys.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

To be honest, I lump SEED Gundams into two categories: Looks like a normal Gundam & looks a Gubdam with a buncha dumb crap on it.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Losing the cool Iczer seems like it'd be rather bad, even if you get a worse Iczer to compensate. About Iczer-3 herself, I already dislike her personality, but I hope she gets to grow into a true CHAMPION OF JUSTICE eventually.

I was not prepared for this SRW to have Chibi Usa in it.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I've been reading up on some of the series I'm not already familiar with. Did you know there was a third Iczer OVA with a third Nagisa? Oh, what could've been.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Glazius posted:

...it kind of sucks that the genetic legacy safeguarded by the Darius Empire just went up in a burst of temper tantrum like that. Unless it was just a prop.

No Gods No Kings. That's how the Alpha Numbers roll.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Is the Idol Contest a part of any show's story like the Talent Contest was, or is it more like the part of every OG story where the women decide to cook a big feast?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

One minor nitpick I've always had is I think both suits would be better named as Infinite Freedom and Eternal Justice.

Also gently caress off Goh, you are not an Old just because you're over 21.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Do the Angels give up too? I'd like to see them having that same conversation about too many variables. With Kaworu there, naturally.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

So right now the only thing keeping an interdimensional army at bay is a Dark Souls save file?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

If we use Gundam logic, her AMBAC maneuvering should be unparalleled.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Well the main plot is seems to be just Enders Game with j-pop idols, so they gotta add something.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Is that a subtle reference to Wufei's backstory at the end? Dude's a widower, you know.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Section Z posted:

I find it amusing that Wufei and Trowa have the same goddamned gimmick. But Trowa gets a pass (even in universe) because he's treating it like a punchclock obligation until he inevitably rejoins the team, while Wufei goes full :byodood: with it.

I'm sure Reiji will get a pass because despite all the much worse poo poo he's pulled for operation "I was just testing you all along :pseudo:", never underestimate the difference how annoying you are in the process makes :v:

It means "The Bart The" in German.

Well no one who speaks German could be evil! :haw:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Presumably a version of SD Gundam based on the Romance, yes?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I've always loved that third panel. It's funny, but it's also true.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

00's main baddie was voiced by Toru Furuya, and it wasn't as hackneyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

So Iczer really is Project A-KO with robos.

• Locked thread