Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

There was still a moment of panic on Roth's part as he and his team left the Night Road behind. Hey, it's not like he was given advance warning about the fall. All threats considered, a drop from miles in the sky was a new one on him, even for that day. Fortunately, he also had a way out of this situation. Flailing a bit to make sure he was no longer falling back first, Roth spread his arms and positioned one leg in front of the other, as if he were making his way down a steep hill. His speed slowed to a crawl. Don't ask how it worked. Even he couldn't tell you at the moment.

"Hey, uh, how are we doing this?" He shouted at his teammates.

Using All Directions as One to...well, no longer be falling at deadly speeds. I imagine it working like that one glitch in Sonic Boom, but in reverse.

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

HP: 8/8
AC: 1
Effort: [ ][ ]
Influence: 2/2
Dominion: 0
Attack: +3
Weapon: 1d10+1, Magical

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

"Sounds good." Roth checks his gear as he staggers after his teammates. "Something tells me we're going to be walking most of the way home, though."

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 15, 2017

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

Roth slowly draws in a breath as he lingers over the most awkward breakfast he'd ever had (including meals with people who were armed and hostile). It wouldn't have felt right, just ditching the old man after being his guest. Then again, after the past week or so, "felt right" was a distant memory. Roth slides a napkin over to Wan, hoping the gesture didn't seem condescending. His own grandfather didn't appreciate any implication that he needed someone to look after him.

He allows the deafening silence to persist a few minutes longer before throwing caution to the wind and attempting to strike up a conversation. In Ren, no less. "How long have you lived in Gongfang?" His accent is fairly obvious, and his wording is probably a little too formal, not to mention influenced by television. Roth just hopes he is coherent.

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

Roth cringes, feeling like an idiot. But the old priest was clearly upset even before he asked the question. Worse still, Roth knew he was going to have to pry further if he was going to help Wan in any way. As if to drive that point home, the man slowly becomes more...obvious in his vision, somehow standing out from the rest of the room. Roth's gaze shoots down to his plate. "I am sorry. May I ask what happened?"

Not using Read the Signs so much as foreshadowing that Roth has the Gift.

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 17, 2017

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

Roth's gaze darts between Johnny and the woman. "Any ideas on how to stop that from happening, professor?!"

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

Roth is feeling pretty uncomfortable himself. Not to mention, distrustful of the magistrate. Still, they wouldn't have a better chance to learn more about...whatever was going on in this village, nor an easier way. Well, maybe he would. "Thank you," Roth says to the magistrate. This time, he allows whatever was happening with Wan to play out in full.

Using Read the Signs to get an impression of Xiao's past and future.

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

"Do you have any advice on how to approach Zu? I mean, I'm not expecting to resolve your issues with him peacefully, but it'd probably be helpful for us if he wasn't ready for trouble. Might keep the area from becoming a battlefield." At least for a while.

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 22, 2017

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

Roth isn't in much of a better mood than Joey. "One thing at a time," he mutters to EM. "But there's going to be plenty of umbridge in the near future." And he didn't need his strange new vision to tell that much. Roth turns his regard to the men, suppressing a snarl as he asks, "Do either of you know how to get to the monastery?"

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

Roth doesn't quite give The Boulder a double take, but he does give the big man another look as he lets the two thugs go. "Did you just shout a PSA at them, or was I totally misunderstanding you?"

He turns his attention to the others. "I was going to suggest trying to sneak into the compound, but yeah. We need answers from someone. Even if Zu and his minions don't believe us, we'll need to bust the place up at some point. People are being imprisoned here."

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

"We're doing this, then?" Roth shrugs and follows the Boulder. "Fine, why not? Busting makes me feel good."

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 27, 2017

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

Bright red sparks flicker over Roth's sword as he draws it. "Actually post something, he says." With impossible ease, he swipes it across his chin, scattering the hairs of his goatee to the wind without so much as scraping himself. "How am I supposed to reply to the big guy doing his thing, anyway?" He continues muttering rebelliously as he leaps into the air. Sort of. One moment, Roth is kicking off the ground. The next, he is falling toward the attacking men at a 45 degree angle. Blade first. "Hype him up like we're doing the world's crappiest AWF promo?"

Roth cuts through flesh and metal as if it were paper. "Hell, he knew I was Neutral Good when he accepted me to this game. Look at my answers to those hypothetical questions." Right before he hits the ground, Roth ducks into a roll, landing on the other side of the mob.

Committing Effort to use Thirsting Razor. By the way, AWF stands for Arcem Wrestling Federation.

!roll 1d10+1
RPBotBOT - Today at 7:37 PM
@DeTosh rolled 9. (8, 1)

And here is my Fray die.

!roll 1d8
RPBotBOT - Today at 7:38 PM
@DeTosh rolled 3.

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

Effort: [x][ ]

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 30, 2017

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

Score one for simple, but reliable. Also, utter insanity. Roth's jaw drops open as he spots his teammates squaring off against the newly empowered leader of the thugs. "You've gotta be kidding me. Guys, we...nevermind." They seemed preoccupied. Roth balances his sword on the ground by the point of its blade. With a twist of his hand, he sends it spinning like a top. It picks up speed quickly, stirring up a gust. The sword doesn't slow by a single revolution as he grabs and continues spinning it. Roth slams the improvised drill into the nearest group of enemies.

Making another attack with Thirsting Razor.

!roll 1d10+3
RPBotBOT - Today at 7:25 PM
@DeTosh rolled 11. (8, 3)

Below is my Fray die.

!roll 1d8
RPBotBOT - Today at 7:25 PM
@DeTosh rolled 3.

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

"Don't..." Roth punches and kicks right back. "...you people..." When he has room, he adds stabbing to the mix. "...ever..." The thugs leave him with more than a few cuts and bruises, but they are unable to impede his attempts and fighting his way free of them. "...give up?!"

He staggers out of the melee, intent on ending the fight. "Hey!" Roth shouts at LDM. "You with the face!" The sound of Roth's voice barely reaches his enemy before he himself does. Again, he leads with his sword.

!roll 1d20
RPBotBOT - Today at 9:33 PM
@DeTosh rolled 12.

Didn't make that saving throw. I'm going to attack LDM, though.

!roll 1d20
RPBotBOT - Today at 2:41 PM
@DeTosh rolled 16.

With my Dex, the total is 18.

!roll 1d10+2
RPBotBOT - Today at 9:34 PM
@DeTosh rolled 10. (8, 2)

And finally, my Fray die.

!roll 1d8
RPBotBOT - Today at 9:34 PM
@DeTosh rolled 7.

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

HP: 7/8

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 1, 2017

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

Roth glances at the prisoners at the prisoners, looking concerned. "I think we should lead these people back to the village. It's a pretty long trip here, and they aren't in good shape."

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

Roth gapes at the undead cook. Try as he might, though, he can't quite put his reaction into words. Soon enough, he decides to roll with it. "Hey, could ask that guy to get a pot of tea ready when he gets the chance?" He begins searching the building as well. Roth pockets any local currency and small trinkets Johnny has left behind. What he is actually looking for are Zu's records. The past day or so has painted a grim picture of the area, but more specifics on local problems would be helpful. Before rejoining the others, Roth gathers any remaining weapons. Actual weapons, not baffling improvised ones. If Boulder's intended settlement was going to last, its people would need a way to defend themselves.

Outside, he says to his teammates, "Okay, we've got a week until Wen gets here, and a lot to deal with. What's the plan? Do we tell the Magistrate or village about this, or just let them worry?"

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

Dominion: 2/2

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

"...nevermind." For certain reasons, Roth decides to pass on this particular pot of tea.

While he can (and does) help with any grunt work needed for the Boulder's project, his main contribution is more in line with his skillset. Roth cuts a few trees down for improvised weapons, passing them out to any local who wishes to learn how to fight. Uh, not whole logs. Little sword sized chunks. In any case, he trains them in the basics of the martial arts during their spare time, impressing upon them the importance of practice. Also, the fact that he would them to another dimension if he ever learns they have used their skills to harm innocent people. Specifically, the timeline in which he actually did coat the area with the blood of a great many people.

At some point, Roth will also question Zu about anything the locals were having trouble with, aside from Xiao and him. After that, he will crack the man on the head. Once to knock him out, a second time to kill him.

Spending 2 Dominion to teach the future villagers to be proficient fighters.

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

Dominion: 0/2

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

"As far as she knows, the city was here when we showed up. It's not like we owe her any explanation." Roth crosses his arms. "Personally, I'm still in favor of one of us posing as a (really dangerous) captive while the rest pretend to be guards. We're probably the only people around who are powerful enough to deal with Xiao, and frankly, learning how this fog stuff works might be useful down the line." He glances at the city. "I'm not against making Xiao come to us, but I don't like the thought of giving him time to prepare. Or putting these people in danger."

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

Sure. Why not? Roth shakes his head. He was expecting the encounter with Wen to play out this way, but not prepared to actually watch it happen. Speaking of prepared, Not that I've got no faith in the Boulder's knack for winning people over, but yeah, I'd believe there's a pretty good chance she'll betray us.

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

Roth had been ready for trouble since they cleared the fog (they still hadn't figured out how it worked, either). The creepy atmosphere of the monastery only makes him more tense. Also, Xiao's beard flick. He had seen those movies before. "No, thanks. We're here to find out how you're..." He glances at the man's feet. "Doing that."

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

• Locked thread