Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i just can't agree. penis clearly != no penis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
especially in computer programming judging by gender balance

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

gently caress you're right, I guess that means it's twice as likely then

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

so what you're saying is that distance learning data structures and algorithms is going to make me doubt the "ignore it for 5 months and then do the entire curriculum in 3 weeks" strategy

i just finished a distance learning bachelors in compys and this post gave me a bit of the old terrors

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If n is one or p is 0 p=np. Stupid comp sci idiots.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

SpaceClown posted:

If n is one or p is 0 p=np. Stupid comp sci idiots.

this joke was already done. mods ban this chucklefuck

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

i'm doing one right now and the book is incomprehensible

cs texts are lol and a racket. unless the material and tests closely follow it find a bunch of other resources as supplement. our course used sedgewick which is worthless for a good portion of the class. he invents his own notation which no one uses because he has problems with Big O - but his problems are addressed with theta and omega, which i guess he never heard of.

visualizations are good (animations, graphs (assuming proper scales) etc) for an intuitive understanding of things. the math you just have to keep hammering at until you recognize patterns and strategies and then everything is almost mechanical

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 9, 2017

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Symbolic Butt posted:

this joke was already done. mods ban this chucklefuck

why did the chicken cross the road?

to get to the other side :grin:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

OldAlias posted:

cs texts are lol and a racket. unless the material and tests closely follow it find a bunch of other resources as supplement. our course used sedgewick which is worthless for a good portion of the class. he invents his own notation which no one uses because he has problems with Big O - but his problems are addressed with theta and omega, which i guess he never heard of.

visualizations are good (animations, graphs (assuming proper scales) etc) for an intuitive understanding of things. the math you just have to keep hammering at until you recognize patterns and strategies and then everything is almost mechanical

everything i know about algorithms comes from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPRA0W1kECg

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

OldAlias posted:

what was his notation like? I remember it was just kind of vague, less formal. "This algorithm is n log n", like that

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

f ~ g. it's basically theta, but if f ~ g then f / g -> 1 (in theta the implied constant is arbitrary)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

if p = np when n is 1 or p is 0 then clearly p = np because those are the only two numbers that exist, duh

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sweevo posted:

everything i know about algorithms comes from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPRA0W1kECg
whenever I see this video linked I leave it on in the background because some of the algorithms sound so good. merge sort with with bip bip bip bworp bwooorp

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

if p = np when n is 1 or p is 0 then clearly p = np because those are the only two numbers that exist, duh

what if p = 1 and n = 0, op

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
an abelian grape!!! ahahahahaha

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

JMPs to a flag that only contains HCF

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

lol yeah whats up w/ that

there are only two wavelengths that photosynthesis utilises i believe, and the rest goes to waste

?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

they called the second photosystem photosystem one

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
photosystem 360

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Elysiume posted:

whenever I see this video linked I leave it on in the background because some of the algorithms sound so good. merge sort with with bip bip bip bworp bwooorp

radix sort sounds super cool (and also appears to be the fastest)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Did u know selection and insertion sort are actually the same? #wow #whoa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcJHkWwjNl4

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

radix sort sounds super cool (and also appears to be the fastest)

it reminds me of the weird soundtrack towards the end of earthbound

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Endless Mike posted:

stack underflow

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

did u kno, there are other complexity classes besides p and np. its true

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lutha Mahtin posted:

did u kno, there are other complexity classes besides p and np. its true

nobody cares though

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

spankmeister posted:

Did u know selection and insertion sort are actually the same? #wow #whoa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcJHkWwjNl4

the scratching sounds always bother me in these videos, gently caress. and those animations are a little bit too much

but what matters: I guess that they're the "same" in the sense that insertion sort is just a better tweaked version of selection sort. maybe something to do with dynamic programming? I'm surprised that I never heard about this before but then again I didn't do a BS CS

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 11, 2017

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Captain Foo posted:

nobody cares though

aside from the people who actually understand complexity classes lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah but this thread isnt for people who understand stuff. its for shower thoughts about a wikipedia article i read and beeping noises that soothe the autism

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

pram posted:

yeah but this thread isnt for people who understand stuff. its for shower thoughts about a wikipedia article i read and beeping noises that soothe the autism

Please post more beeping noises.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Symbolic Butt posted:

the scratching sounds always bother me in these videos, gently caress. and those animations are a little bit too much

but what matters: I guess that they're the "same" in the sense that insertion sort is just a better tweaked version of selection sort. maybe something to do with dynamic programming? I'm surprised that I never heard about this before but then again I didn't do a BS CS

selection sort basically does the exact same thing every time. it always does θ(N^2) comparisons, which is bad, but also always does O(N) writes to the array, which is good

insertion sort is sensitive to the input. it can do O(N^2) comparisons and O(N^2) writes to the array in the worst case, which is bad, but if the array is close to sorted already then it does O(N) comparisons and O(N) writes and has fantastic locality, which is all very good

thanks for taking my post, i'll hang up and listen

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

just do .sort() in whatever language you use until your profiling and testing say its too slow then google a bunch and copy code until its faster.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Or "order by " in your database of choice.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lutha Mahtin posted:

aside from the people who actually understand complexity classes lol

pram posted:

traveling salesman goes bep bep

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

There is only one but very important reason to ever know algorithmic things and that is to get through dumb job interviews designed by autists

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

if you don't have at least a basic understanding of asymptotic analysis then you're a terrible programmer

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

OldAlias posted:

if you don't have at least a basic understanding of asymptotic analysis then you're a terrible programmer

No loving poo poo dude but like that's absolutely the lowest of bars

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Just interested, why is it bad that an algorithm takes longer that the lifetime of the universe to complete? Anyone? Oh well then.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

did you know that there exists some numbers — and these are real, normal numbers — which take more bits of information to express than there are atoms in the universe

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

one such number is nextup(0.0)

another one is nextup(nextup(0.0))

it should be obvious just by inspection that neither of those numbers can be expressed nor computed, in P or NP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

see, this is the sort of nonsense which one gets around by having complexity classes defined exclusively by yes/no problems. not that the statement above makes much sense either way, but clearly one wants to separate between something being difficult to compute in a deeper sense, and something taking a long time to do because the output demanded is large

• Locked thread