Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Turns out Nazi blood has regenerative properties. Not for the Nazi, mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Turns out Nazi blood has regenerative properties. Not for the Nazi, mind.

It's like how rabbit's feet are lucky for people other than the rabbit.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I wanted to like this game a lot and put a hell of a lot of time into it because I loved how pretty it was and how fun the free-running was, but the plot was hot garbage and not helped at all by open world game design. I wouldn't have objected to "here's a huge city to freerun around and do cool counterculture stuff against the Cyber-Man" but there was no need for a wholly pointless experience system.

At no point did I feel the unlocking abilities actually added any meaningful decisions to the game save "the plot doesn't need you to see this district yet", which means it could safely be removed. You could reasonably argue it shows you relearning your skills after jail time, but mostly it just made the game not-fun for a few missions before it let you have proper fun. I often had a choice of four or more abilities to unlock, but none of them were particularly interesting and the way the game was structured meant I rarely felt there was any major incentive to unlock one over the other because the actually transformative ones that would give me new gameplay mechanics were keyed to story progression.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

PurpleXVI posted:

It also looked a lot less out of place because of the art style. You already had bright green, yellow, blue and orange things all over the place. So a few bright red things didn't seem like that much of an issue. With the more muted colours of Catalyst, the Runner Vision items clash more, they look more artificial.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The runner vision in the first game faded in a lot more gradually and was generally only applied to surfaces you could hang on to or push.

In this game everything seems to immediately be covered in supersaturated, high contrast red with arrows and animations all over the place. It makes for a very busy and difficult view in some instances. I feel as though the game would look better if is was a bit more muted.

I'm with Purple on this one mostly, in that the Runner's Vision is implemented in almost the exact same way but it clashes with the new art style a lot more. But Psychotic Weasel is right about the fading being a lot more gradual in the original, and the arrows on the walls stick out quite a bit. It's weird because sometimes the arrows will pop up on walls that are too tall for you to climb anyways. At some point I will have to turn on "Default" Runner's Vision for this game just to show it off.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Is WFYO Finance a joke on We gently caress You?

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be, but I like it a lot. From now on to me it will be We gently caress You Over Finance.

chiasaur11 posted:

BJ Blazkowicz was in a vegetative coma for a decade plus and was killing Nazis like a pro within, like, five minutes of getting back on his feet.

No excuses.

The Doom Marine was stuck in a cursed sarcophagus for eons and the first thing he does is crush a demon's head with his fist.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You just think the Doom Slayer was in a coma, he was actually awake the entire time *seething*.
I think the story is fine, it's not like the original had an amazing story either.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Oh also, I'm just leaving on vacation so have another video. After this, the schedule will probably stick to once a week or so.

03 - Old Friends (polsy)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I failed that first delivery mission like 10 times and gave up on them for the rest of the game. They're more difficult than any open world side mission I've ever seen, it's bizarre.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
"Can you make your emblem a dick?"

Did this game sell well enough for the social aspects to actually, well, have any purpose?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It sounds like they gave this game more of a backstory than the first one, but I'm guessing they included most of it in the optional collectibles/recordings that aren't being shown off here? The first game gave me a Singapore vibe with it's mix of English and Asian influences but from Birdman mentioning he's seen 'Cascadia transformed under corporate tyranny' it gives the impression that Glass is actually located somewhere in the Pacific Northwest.

PurpleXVI posted:

"Can you make your emblem a dick?"

Did this game sell well enough for the social aspects to actually, well, have any purpose?

A cursory search shows that the game moved a couple million units, nothing record breaking but still apparently well enough. Like all EA games though the 'social' aspect are just the execs finding a way to shoehorn some online aspect into the game as a disguised DRM to force you to sign in. No idea how intrusive it is in this game though.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Also, something that occurs to me about the first game and its Project Icarus. All throughout the game, until you meet the Icarus Cops, the police and mercenary security guards are just blazing away with sniper rifles, machineguns, pistols, etc. actively trying to kill you...

And then their DARK SINISTER PLAN is cops who use tazers instead and might actually just arrest you after giving you a bruising.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The implication is that the other cabal is the one shooting Bridman's messenger pigeons.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
That enemy getting stuck between the AC units (?) also happened to me in my playthrough.

The first few missions are pretty rough. Hiding the roll and quick turn behind story progression upgrades makes for long "tutorials." Of course, the upgrade system is pointless, overall. So many are hidden behind story progression that all those trees remain irrelevant until certain missions. Still, I don't hate the system. It strikes me as a committee decision, done to add more features.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
This is the first real mission in the game. Things are going to start picking up.

04 - Back In The Game (polsy)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Henchwoman who waits outside your secret base to make threatening remarks every time you run past is my favorite character.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't know if I agree that it seems like a crappy job to have, honestly sounds like a fun, cushy job. Hang out around some random persons hideout making random mean remarks,. no danger from the police at all as your not breaking any laws, not getting into fights with the target? Easy money. Doesn't need to even be a cutting remark necessarily, I'd love if she got friendlier as the game went on and Faith's debt got paid off more and more until she's just saying "Hey Faith. Can you believe Dogen is paying me to do this?! You really should reconsider working for him, it's like, no danger at all."

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Alright, so Kruger has his own Bond Girls; guess that makes him a certified villain now. The background story seems to be the same here as it was in the first game - one or both of Faith's parents are killed in a protest that turned violent and she either blamed herself or became disillusioned and ran away.

Still Faith now has plenty of motivation. On top of getting back at the man who murdered her father (at the very least) she also managed to place herself at the scene of a murder and was witnessed running off with whatever the other guy was trying to steal himself.

And on a related note, on top of the wildly inefficient use of space Frenzy mentioned I also noticed a almost complete lack of any internal security for that building with the exception of the handprint scanner at the very end that either had Faith's prints on file or opened for anyone who touched it, defeating the entire purpose of scanning someone's hand...

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Pretty certain scrip in this case, more than being just slang for cash, is meant to reference company scrip.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Faith should register herself as a company, go full sovcit. She's no longer an outlaw, as she is an employ now of Faith LLC. Delivery company, just a private mailing service, any PMCs in her way are now obstructing a company from doing their business. Her shareholders are Noah and Icarus. I know that this isn't how this world works, or that it wouldn't be that easy but it would be hilarious for Faith to turn the society's lax regulations against them by becoming something that they can't fight without hurting themselves. Her corporate slogan can be "Run, don't walk." :v:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sindai posted:

Henchwoman who waits outside your secret base to make threatening remarks every time you run past is my favorite character.

Yeah it's like is she getting paid for that? And if so why? And if not also why

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I still want to kick Icarus off a ledge. Mostly because he's a douche but also because he has a huge blaring siren that screams traitor to me. :v:

Psychotic Weasel posted:

And on a related note, on top of the wildly inefficient use of space Frenzy mentioned I also noticed a almost complete lack of any internal security for that building with the exception of the handprint scanner at the very end that either had Faith's prints on file or opened for anyone who touched it, defeating the entire purpose of scanning someone's hand...
If it's anything like Shadowrun it's because everyone's a corrupt rear end in a top hat and only ever interested in the bottom line. The entrance security is surely good enough and interior security would cost money which is a heinous sin that lowers profits, bonuses and available funds to be pilfered into pockets.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Yeah, but some of that could be explained by not-Sam Fisher having hacked all the security as part of his own infiltration.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Blind guess about the plot:

In a ~shocking twist~ it'll turn out that rear end in a top hat dude is just an rear end in a top hat but pseudo-boyfriend(nomad?) was actually all an act and is secretly evil.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

BioEnchanted posted:

Faith should register herself as a company, go full sovcit. She's no longer an outlaw, as she is an employ now of Faith LLC. Delivery company, just a private mailing service, any PMCs in her way are now obstructing a company from doing their business. Her shareholders are Noah and Icarus. I know that this isn't how this world works, or that it wouldn't be that easy but it would be hilarious for Faith to turn the society's lax regulations against them by becoming something that they can't fight without hurting themselves. Her corporate slogan can be "Run, don't walk." :v:

I like this idea a lot. It makes sense from an in-world perspective: since unemployment is illegal, why not just be your own boss?

Also Icarus is the most played out mythological reference ever. If anything, Pheidippides or Leonidas would be a better name for our douchenozzle friend. Pheidippides, if you don't know, was the guy who ran from Marathon to Athens to proclaim victory, and Leonidas of Rhodes was the most versatile Olympic runner in Greece.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I imagine most people would have no idea as to who Pheidippides was (or how to even pronounce that) and would sooner associate Leonidas with a Spartan king who loved to loudly declare his love of Sparta and kick around Persians.

Still, I do wonder why they would name their top secret super weapon after a guy who tried too hard and fell victim to his own ambitions. May as well have called it Project Hubris.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I imagine most people would have no idea as to who Pheidippides was (or how to even pronounce that) and would sooner associate Leonidas with a Spartan king who loved to loudly declare his love of Sparta and kick around Persians.

Still, I do wonder why they would name their top secret super weapon after a guy who tried too hard and fell victim to his own ambitions. May as well have called it Project Hubris.

Yeah those two suggestions are good thematically, but they lack a certain "punchiness". Still, something like "Apollo" would have been fine.

And I'm pretty sure for Project Icarus, the people in charge thought of themselves as the Sun in that metaphor.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

And I'm pretty sure for Project Icarus, the people in charge thought of themselves as the Sun in that metaphor.
That makes more sense. I hadn't ever looked at it that way.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Why didn't I say Apollo? Gah.

I struggled to find more than one ancient Greek runner, to be fair, and their names aren't that cyberpunk. Icarus is still hella played out as a mythological reference, though.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Project A Bit To On The Nose.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Was there a basically identical version of this mission in the original or am I losing my mind?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
In the first game one of the early missions was to go to the offices of a mayoral candidate after you hear your sister's name mentioned on police radio traffic. You discover her walking around the office of the candidate who had just recently been murdered and your sister was being framed for it. That time around you just take a slip of paper with the name 'Icarus' written on it.

There's a lot of similarities but they aren't quite identical.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Psychotic Weasel posted:

In the first game one of the early missions was to go to the offices of a mayoral candidate after you hear your sister's name mentioned on police radio traffic. You discover her walking around the office of the candidate who had just recently been murdered and your sister was being framed for it. That time around you just take a slip of paper with the name 'Icarus' written on it.

There's a lot of similarities but they aren't quite identical.
Alright I must have watched this mission played in another video somewhere or something, because I distinctly remembered it

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Having never played Mirror's Edge, this looks very pretty and fun to play. Maybe I'll pick this up if it's ever on sale. It's weird to me that sagely old (black) man who tends to pigeons is a trope that seems to pop up again and again - Enemy of the State, John Wick 2, etc.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Alright I must have watched this mission played in another video somewhere or something, because I distinctly remembered it

In all honesty a lot of the missions in the first game seem to revolve around Faith breaking into something, grabbing a thing, then running away. There's a number of points that could look similar but none of them actually involve corporate espionage, they're all about your sister or figuring out what Project Icarus is.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Those flashbacks make it look like Faith (or her sister) killed a cop.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think it was used as one of the first previews.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
It cracks me up that you break into this opulent building owned by a head of security for basically the entire country, and the building apparently has no security cameras to catch Faith running all over the place.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Having never played Mirror's Edge, this looks very pretty and fun to play. Maybe I'll pick this up if it's ever on sale. It's weird to me that sagely old (black) man who tends to pigeons is a trope that seems to pop up again and again - Enemy of the State, John Wick 2, etc.

Mike Tyson

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Asehujiko posted:

Blind guess about the plot:

In a ~shocking twist~ it'll turn out that rear end in a top hat dude is just an rear end in a top hat but pseudo-boyfriend(nomad?) was actually all an act and is secretly evil.

Noah seems like he's the obvious traitor. If he's not a traitor then there's definitely something unpleasant about him. And even if the game never actually says so, I'll always believe it because he just strikes me as a real creep.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It cracks me up that you break into this opulent building owned by a head of security for basically the entire country, and the building apparently has no security cameras to catch Faith running all over the place.

It's not owned by the head of security. It's a biotech company that the head of K-Sec is doing some sort of shady deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Made-up Scenario: A company head doesn't like what K-Sec us up to. As soon as Faith breaks into his office he just goes "Oh, hey, there's my 2 o'clock! You're late Faith." Kruger: "You know who this is right?" "Yes, and she's interviewing with me today. You were the one to tell her to get a job after all! Bye!" Then after Kruger is dismissed he helps you with the conspiracy poo poo.

• Locked thread