Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
Yeahhhhh, I loved the first game to bits but I was very let down by Catalyst. I completed the story and never picked it back up again. I'm not even incentivized by the achievements like I usually am.

Open world games seem to be a growing trend these days and it doesn't always work out. I felt that Mirror's Edge worked a lot better as a linear game and a lot of the time I had trouble navigating the open world. I missed the charming animated cutscenes from the original game, I felt like that was a really unique way to handle things. I also feel like the stat progression was shoehorned in as something to do for people who like to work towards unlocking things. There were also certain elements of Faith's background that were changed, winding up with such a trope-ariffic end product that really kind of bothered me. I didn't really have a problem with the combat. What I did have a problem was the arbitrary doing-away with the disarms and allowing the use of guns. I find that the "you're a runner, you're supposed to evade your enemies" excuse is a bit of a poor one. You always had a choice in the original game. Hell, there was the Paci-Fist achievement for never using a weapon.

Iunno. I didn't hate it but I really felt like they changed way too much. I kind of felt how I did when I played Halo 4 and Gears of War 4. The gameplay is the way I remember it but it just doesn't feel like the franchise I love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

I'm glad you touched on the Skill Roll being locked, because such a basic ability that was immediately available in the first game being locked at the outset was one of the biggest problems I had with Catalyst. I'd actually been trying to Skill Roll through the entire tutorial and was convinced my timing was off until I saw the upgrade menu. There was really no reason to introduce RPG elements into the game. Or a zillion collectibles of varying types. Which, together with the world itself being separated into sections necessitating the use of certain upgrades, is the biggest reason for my dislike of the open world. A lot of those collectibles are difficult to track down in certain areas, also. Apart from that it's enjoyable to traverse.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

White Coke posted:

Sounds like they've turned the game into a Metroidvania. When do you unlock the morphball Frenzy?

You joke but Skill Roll isn't the only basic ability they locked. There's also the quick turn like Frenzy pointed out and the Coil, which is the move that lets Faith pull her legs up to clear tall objects easier.

• Locked thread