Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Actor and former Something Awful meme Powers Boothe died in his sleep Sunday 5/14/17 in his Los Angeles home. The actor was best known for playing either badasses or slimy assholes.

He first became known portraying mass murderer Jim Jones in Guyana Tragedy: The Story of Jim Jones. He went on to star in some rad 80's movies like Red Dawn, The Emerald Forest, and Extreme Prejudice, then captured our heart as dope-smokin' Cowboy, Curly Bill Brocius in Tombstone as well as dedicated father, Senator Roark, in Sin City. He also portrayed Cy Tolliver on Deadwood, though I never watched that show so I can't tell you how awesome he was with sufficient first-hand authority.

He was in a bunch of other poo poo, too. Check out his IMDB page.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jethz
Sep 17, 2004
Godspeed Curly Bill.

Yeah he was in a lot of stuff although lately in roles of the rear end in a top hat kinda bad guy. He had that kinda vibe and the creepy smile.

RIP.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
If Tombstone actors don't stop dying I'm going to get pissed. Also, good guess OP he was indeed awesome in Deadwood.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

My favorite Powers Boothe role is as the absurdly evil bad guy in Sudden Death, also the best Jean Claude Van Damme movie (it's Die Hard at the Stanley Cup).

His death has inspired me to finally check out that movie where he plays Jim Jones, and also Southern Comfort because Walter Hill is always good.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

My favorite Powers Boothe role is as the absurdly evil bad guy in Sudden Death, also the best Jean Claude Van Damme movie (it's Die Hard at the Stanley Cup).

His death has inspired me to finally check out that movie where he plays Jim Jones, and also Southern Comfort because Walter Hill is always good.

If you haven't seen it already, track down Extreme Prejudice, too. It's got a great cast; besides Powers Boothe, it stars Nick Nolte, Michael Ironside, Clancy Brown, William Forsythe, and Tiny Lister.

One of my personal faves is John Boorman's The Emerald Forest. He gets to play the rare good guy in this one.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

"Smells like someone died."

Jesus Johnny!

I'm going to miss the gently caress out of this guy.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Was really hoping to open this thread and read something like "It's okay, Dad. I was only funnin'." :(

e. I also loved you as Gorilla Grodd in Justice League.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Wizchine posted:

He also portrayed Cy Tolliver on Deadwood, though I never watched that show so I can't tell you how awesome he was with sufficient first-hand authority.

Dude was the most vile and repulsive character on Deadwood.

*Hails Hydra somberly and respectfully*

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

scuba school sucks posted:

Dude was the most vile and repulsive character on Deadwood.

They originally wanted him for the Al Swearengen role, but I think he worked out much better as Swearengen's mirror.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

https://youtu.be/oRRupV-lwbU love that movie :)

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

They originally wanted him for the Al Swearengen role, but I think he worked out much better as Swearengen's mirror.

He was so good on Deadwood and also everything about Deadwood was insanely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
He was one of the best private eyes in HBO's "Philip Marlowe, Private Eye" and one of the best maverick cops in "Rapid Fire" with Brandon Lee.

He could be the hero or the villain and make the role unforgettable either way. He will be missed.

• Locked thread