Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Either I'm blind or there's no "The Surge" thread so I've created this to discuss. New game just came out today, check out details below.

http://www.thesurge-game.com/

"The Surge is an upcoming science fiction action role-playing game video game in development by Deck13 Interactive, and published by Focus Home Interactive. Deck13 Interactive described the game as "Rise of the Robots and Souls-style, super-challenging third-person melee combat, but through the lens of a sci-fi setting". The game is scheduled for release in May 2017 (NOW), for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I got burned by Lords of the Fallen cause I was expecting something like Dark Souls but instead got a mediocre action RPG that tries really hard to be like Dark Souls. This looks a lot cooler and seems like it has its own identity, what with the whole sci-fi setting.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I am one of the 7 people who enjoyed Lords of the Fallen so I got this. It looks sweet. Downloading now on my tin can and string internet so it should be ready in like 3 hours, well after I'm asleep. There's always tomorrow.

sexy mouse
Sep 18, 2008

sexy eye~
sexy nose~
sexy mouse~
don't you know~
game good or game bad

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Twitch consensus seems to be that it's middle of the road.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

vandalism posted:

I am one of the 7 people who enjoyed Lords of the Fallen so I got this. It looks sweet. Downloading now on my tin can and string internet so it should be ready in like 3 hours, well after I'm asleep. There's always tomorrow.

Would it be worth picking up Lords of the Fallen on the cheap?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
After playing it for an hour and getting past the first boss I can say it's pretty average and definitely feels like an indie game. Lots of tiny niggling annoyances and bugs, like getting stuck in geometry/enemies. It also feels overly samey/grindey, dark souls felt like a natural organic world that was a joy to explore but this is pretty boring in comparison. Maybe it gets better with play?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

Would it be worth picking up Lords of the Fallen on the cheap?

I had a pretty good time with it. They did a good job making you feel much more like a heavy stompyman than Dark Souls' rollyman. Don't go in expecting as big or deep an experience and you'll be fine.

Haven't played the Surge yet but what I've seen from some Twitch streams makes me want to grab it.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
I just got done playing about three hours of this. It's no Dark Souls, but it's miles ahead of Lords of the Fallen. Combat feels nice and weighty, the finisher system is satisfying and adds a nice dimension to the loop, and the first boss was pretty alright.

Also, and this may be a divisive opinion, but there's part of the level that is almost pitch black except for your flashlights and enemy lights, and it was tense as hell and really fun.

Maybe it's because I came into it with low expectations, but I like it way more than I thought I would. It's a solid 7/10 souls-like and well worth playing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is it loot based or kind of "nab the item once and then never backtrack again"?

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Is it loot based or kind of "nab the item once and then never backtrack again"?

In the middle somewhere. You collect weapons by chopping them off enemies, then upgrade them by doing the same. Basically, first time you lot a weapon, you get the weapon, but after that you get mats to upgrade. It can feel grindy if you go out of your way to upgrade all you can right away, like I did, but you get mats pretty easily just by fighting dudes like normal.

Power level is also way less open than DS. You level, your skills go up, you want to modify them, you use equipment and implants, which are basically buffs or medpaks or something in between.

e: It's not Diablo styled loot

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Kontradaz posted:

After playing it for an hour and getting past the first boss I can say it's pretty average and definitely feels like an indie game. Lots of tiny niggling annoyances and bugs, like getting stuck in geometry/enemies. It also feels overly samey/grindey, dark souls felt like a natural organic world that was a joy to explore but this is pretty boring in comparison. Maybe it gets better with play?

I've only been watching streamers but they forgot to put landmarks like in the Souls series so every environment I've seen has looked like sci-fi corridors with poor lighting.

Does the enemy variety get better? I've only seen AI player bots, forklifts, and drones

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

What is the yellow bar for when you fight bosses?

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

Lakbay posted:

I've only been watching streamers but they forgot to put landmarks like in the Souls series so every environment I've seen has looked like sci-fi corridors with poor lighting.

Does the enemy variety get better? I've only seen AI player bots, forklifts, and drones

I'm only at the start of the second real area, so I can't say much about variety yet, but it does seem that a lot of the footage shown was from early game...at least what I've seen.

Seedge posted:

What is the yellow bar for when you fight bosses?

It's a stagger meter. Whack boss till it falls over, smack weak points till it gets up, rinse, repeat. I have no idea if that system holds true for all bosses, but the first one made good use of it to turn a somewhat meh boss into a neat balancing act.

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer

sexy mouse posted:

game good or game bad

game good, friend.

The combat has me hooked. I'm a big fan of Dark Souls but I like the faster pacing in this game.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Good Game.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

There's a pretty funny exploit, if you die (on PC) you can just quickly Alt F4 and when you reload into the game it just puts you back to one of the nearest checkpoints? You can avoid some lovely deaths that way.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Is there any way to breakdown items/implants?

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
I don't believe you can destroy weapons, but you can destroy other gear and implants. At the bottom of the screen it should give a controller / keyboard button and "Destroy" next to it.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
I'm really surprised how much better the combat is in this game than Lords of the Fallen. Weapons feel heavy and powerful without being too slow and the energy system system and weak point targeting adds depth without just aping souls combat.

Biggest weakness imo is how samey and maze-like some levels look. The second area is especially bad about this, there are like 5 identical looking shortcut tunnels that lead into completely different places. The third area is not nearly as bad though so maybe it gets better.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Not sure why you would want to compare your game to Rise of the Robots.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

So progression is feeling really nice and productive. I was getting clowned a bunch, so I upgraded my weapon and a leg piece and I feel massively stronger. Maybe that will taper off later on, but I'm liking that upgrades aren't always easy to get, and they actually feel like upgrades.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dimo ArKacho posted:

So progression is feeling really nice and productive. I was getting clowned a bunch, so I upgraded my weapon and a leg piece and I feel massively stronger. Maybe that will taper off later on, but I'm liking that upgrades aren't always easy to get, and they actually feel like upgrades.

Same. Only upgraded a weapon so far but it took the first boss from being a slog to being done in a few minutes. Guess that makes sense when your max upgrade is +4.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Good game so far, and a definite improvement over Lords of the Fallen. A lot of the problems with that game are fixed, and a few still remain (i.e. fast weapons having long attack chains that are surprisingly high commit). The problems that do persist from Lords of the Fallen though have been still made a lot better.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This game is fantastic! I am loving it so far, targeting enemy bodies for specific loot is a really great idea and I love just the raw number of animations every weapon has. The only criticism I have of it so far is that targeting enemy bodies is a pain in the rear end and is very finnicky, so I'm always short on body materials because I hardly ever have time to lock on. I also streamed my first 3-ish hours of the game and it went really well and was great fun, you can watch the archive here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkKH3NbfvpM
(stream starts at 10:00)

edit: Also, I saw a loading screen tip that claimed you can "receive boss equipment upon defeating them, but can obtain unique versions by killing them in special ways". What does that entail? Does anyone know how to do such a thing? I've only beaten the first boss so far and I didn't really see any "special" ways to win the fight.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 17, 2017

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Also, I saw a loading screen tip that claimed you can "receive boss equipment upon defeating them, but can obtain unique versions by killing them in special ways". What does that entail? Does anyone know how to do such a thing? I've only beaten the first boss so far and I didn't really see any "special" ways to win the fight.

I just googled that, because I got a weapon, but wasn't sure if it was special or just a boss drop. Apparently, the 'secret' to that fight is to bust up the bubble of circuits underneath the head, not the faceplates. It won't outright kill him, and at some point you'll stop doing damage and have to target the front, but as far as I could tell, that was the only real key to it. I didn't even realize that was a special way to fight the boss...but whatever, it's an easy way to get the weapon. You get a giant fuckoff sword thing, which is pretty nice and has some good knockback and stun on it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hmm. I guess what I assumed is that you always get that sword since I have on both my main and side playthrough, but that you get a different thing for doing it a 'special' way. I suppose that is the 'special way'. What do you get if you don't do that??

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Hmm. I guess what I assumed is that you always get that sword since I have on both my main and side playthrough, but that you get a different thing for doing it a 'special' way. I suppose that is the 'special way'. What do you get if you don't do that??

You might be right. I just read that on some guide site, could be wrong. I have the exact same thing, and I can't figure out any other way to kill that boss, so I dunno.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Killing it the hard way by not hitting the head a la beating the Asylum Demon with your busted sword, maybe?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If it's anything like Lords you'll need to kill it without getting hit. :v:

Definitely keeping my eye on this. It's weirdly appealing, but I've got too much stuff on at the moment.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

If it's anything like Lords you'll need to kill it without getting hit. :v:

Definitely keeping my eye on this. It's weirdly appealing, but I've got too much stuff on at the moment.

I just looked a little deeper, and it seems like the special condition for PAX is to beat him without letting him get hit by his own missiles. It seems like you get the same weapon with a vertical shockwave effect, and maybe it starts at level 2. Still no actual video confirmation tho, just GameFAQs saying things...

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I'm digging this game. It might be a little heretical to say but bosses aren't my favorite part of souls games, it's progressing through the level and finding better ways to kill or avoid enemies. THis game ramps that up by basically making every enemy "red eyed" difficulty level from the get go. gently caress the security dudes in the second area, at least they don't respawn.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Game got really hard on the second level. Hating that I can never stun dudes. Sneaking on some guy leads to them smacking right after your first attack with no chance to dodge after the swing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The fast enemies with the twinblades are the bane of my goddamn existence. Also, just when I think the game can't drop any cooler weapons on me, it continues its constant chain of one-upping itself with more and more badass things to smack suckers with.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Oriental Hugs posted:

Game got really hard on the second level. Hating that I can never stun dudes. Sneaking on some guy leads to them smacking right after your first attack with no chance to dodge after the swing.
I don't really understand how it works but I assume it's the more impact you have the better your stagger chance ? I don't get hit mid combo with the bigger weapons is all I notice... those drat 2H hammer guys in the 2nd area really like to interrupt your combo otherwise.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's pretty much all there is to it. Having higher Impact makes enemies take less hits to stagger. Certain weapons like the bigass wrench are pretty much guaranteed to stagger humans on almost every hit, whereas ones like the chainsaw sword take a couple good whacks at least.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
On the fence about buying this game at release price but drat if it doesn't look surprisingly good. Watched the quicklook on Giantbomb and I appreciate how meaty the combat looks and I think the whole look of the rigs and the ability to bolt whatever you want onto them is pretty drat cool. Waiting to hear more opinions but I'll probably wind up checking it out - only issue I have is that the environments aren't all that interesting so the combat will hopefully carry the game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I hope for their Soulslike Part Drei we get a customisable MC who doesn't look like a bellend unless chose to make them that way.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Songbearer posted:

On the fence about buying this game at release price but drat if it doesn't look surprisingly good. Watched the quicklook on Giantbomb and I appreciate how meaty the combat looks and I think the whole look of the rigs and the ability to bolt whatever you want onto them is pretty drat cool. Waiting to hear more opinions but I'll probably wind up checking it out - only issue I have is that the environments aren't all that interesting so the combat will hopefully carry the game.

One of the Steam reviews said it was short, 6 bosses/areas. Though I am also looking for opinions on it. Certainly looks good and a more unique setting, though it sounds short and I'm not sure how much replay it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I hope for their Soulslike Part Drei we get a customisable MC who doesn't look like a bellend unless chose to make them that way.

Gotta admit, part of the reason why I haven't bought this game is that I'm incredibly tired of Gruff McWhitedude as a protagonist :whitewater:

• Locked thread