Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I just got an implant called the “Velocity Array,” it gives attack speed at high energy and was located across a gap right next to the short cut to the third boss. It didn’t appear until after I returned from R&D though. I don’t recall this having been in the game previously, have I just always been missing this sick nasty implant?

There’s no page for it on the wiki but the wiki isn’t super thorough so that doesn’t mean it’s new.

Edit: I literally just found a second thing I’ve never seen before, a “Gyro-Stabilizer” that reduces stamina costs of blocking. Right outside of the second boss room in one of the earlier hallways with the goop.

Did they loving patch in new implants? :stare:

I’ve found two more I haven’t seen before. 1 increases drone damage by 50%, the other is a new health mod that is tier 4 but stronger than the old tier V ones, labeled Vital Boost XL.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, I picked that one up too, it seems they're patching in new implants in addition to the new weapons to prepare people for the dlc! Really cool!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Oh wow, they didn’t just move the guards away from where the Nucleus connects to Central Production, they created an entire new train and room for the Nucleus connection and the old train is going to go to the DLC?

Edit: wow I found another one of the new mods, in Central Production where the fire sword guy spawns. It’s called Omni-Audit and it displays enemy health and stability, and also costs 0 to equip.

Edit 2: I found another one, just past the rear end in a top hat bridge in Central Production B, in those side rooms you can open all the doors to, where one of the welder robots is. It increases stamina regen when energy is high.

Seems like they recognized that Lynx and Gorgon are too good and made their set bonuses available as implants.

Edit 3: can confirm, the implants are straight up Lynx and Gorgon’s passives. Imo Chrysalis is now the best armor set by a huge margin, you can have infinite sustain alongside stamina and speed on a light frame, and use the shield drone to patch up your defense. It’s so good. :allears:

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 29, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man, those all sound awesome. This is a great time to get into The Surge!

And speaking of which:

I knocked 42 minutes off of my no-glitches speedrun record just now. Video coming maybe tomorrow or this week sometime.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Jesus christ, man. Does beating this game help you deal with trauma or something.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CJacobs posted:

And speaking of which:

I knocked 42 minutes off of my no-glitches speedrun record just now. Video coming maybe tomorrow or this week sometime.

drat bro

I think my last run was in the realm of 20-25 hours, though admittedly I spent a bunch of time farming and looking for new implants. Good job! :allears:

Note: new implants don’t appear to be on the PC version yet, sorry guys. For PC they drop with the DLC.

At least according to a D13 guy on Reddit.

Also I didn’t see any of them drop until after returning from R&D, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t miss them earlier in the game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

And speaking of which:

Hey bud would you mind walking me through how exactly the last two zones seem to take up like 60% of your speed run? Are the front loaded levels more objective based or what?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey bud would you mind walking me through how exactly the last two zones seem to take up like 60% of your speed run? Are the front loaded levels more objective based or what?

If I was gonna guess, the Executive Forum is sort of really hard to run through and I think you have to pull and kill the security guys there to advance, so I could see that slowing down a playthrough.

I had no idea there were new implants around now. I figured they'd be in the DLC.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I had no idea there were new implants around now. I figured they'd be in the DLC.

If you’re on PC they aren’t out yet. They drop with the DLC. On console I’ve only confirmed them appearing in the world after going through R&D, and I found all but one in Central Production.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bust Rodd posted:

The run looks really backloaded but actually it only sort of is. It's mostly due to how my splits are set up. The 'Executive Forum' split is actually:

- The run through Central Production after leaving R&D
- The security area
- The fight with The Black Cerberus
- The Executive Forum itself

I have it set up like that because the Security Area and Executive Forum have no loading screen between them- if you die in the Executive Forum, the Security Area is where the Ops Center is so you gotta run all the way back anyway. And the Nucleus takes a little while because it's just a huge area with no real shortcuts (and the final boss), and I spent a couple of minutes grinding the first crystal dude to get my weapon to max level.

edit: And yeah what 8-Bit Scholar said. There's a lot of enemies you have to fight in both final areas, and hardly any in the earlier levels, so that slows the run way down. But it's also cool because it means it's still got lots of technical gameplay skill involved, you can't just run past everything or jump through walls.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 29, 2017

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
are there only two security guards in central production b after the patch? i usually whoop 'em for their armor first thing, but i've only found two - the two others at the train station are gone.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

spaceships posted:

are there only two security guards in central production b after the patch? i usually whoop 'em for their armor first thing, but i've only found two - the two others at the train station are gone.

They were moved up to where the vending machine guys are, where it connects to R&D.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
dope, i was about to cry.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Recording commentary on my new 42 minute shorter speedrun world record for The Surge (no glitches). Come watch and laugh as I die on incredibly easy segments while no-hitting several bosses!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZhu-rTS6cc&t=1035s

Here's the run! In case the timestamp doesn't work, the run starts at 17:15. I knocked 42 entire minutes off of my previous record, played much much better this time than the previous two times. I mention this throughout the video, but this stream is to record commentary and re-record my timer because OBS did not capture the latter when I was doing the run itself. It was a lot of fun and there's some really interesting discussion about critique and criticism toward the end!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 1, 2017

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Great stuff man, thanks.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
walk in the park just preloaded on my ps 4 :getin:

e: vanilla surge had no qualms about just being vicious to warren and kicking his rear end every step of the way and i hope walk in the park continues the "warren is poo poo and must suffer"-thing

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's preloading on PC too! Man I'm so hyped for it! :woop:

edit: PC got a 2.5gb patch today so I assume that adds the bonus implants and such that came to consoles last week or so. I'll run around a bit on a new file and check later today.

edit again:

Yup! The new implants and the CREO World ads/main game world restructuring are both implemented on PC now! Really exciting stuff!

Holy poo poo, the implants that do the suit effects actually do stack. You can attack like a drat maniac if you've got the Lynx suit and the two implants that boost your attack speed. :stare:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 4, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://twitter.com/CJacobsSA/status/937795857075834880

By the way, I'm going to be playing the DLC live and blind when it drops tomorrow-ish. So for anyone who wants to watch, I'll post a link here.

Would anyone mind if I made a new thread? Kontradaz hasn't posted itt since May so I don't know if he's still browsing it or not but there have been really substantial updates since release and it could use a better/more elaborate OP! Here is my The Evil Within 2 thread in Games so you can know what kind of quality to expect.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Just PM the mods so they can close this one.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
So I’ve played about 1 hour of the DLC, 2 hours total of this current playthrough, and so far I like it!

I’m not going to bother spoiler tagging this post since I’m on a phone, so don’t read it if you don’t want to know anything.

Pros:

1) there’s new enemies! They still follow the basic pattern of the main game, I.e. dudes with weapons, but there’s some fun new tricks. The park mascots are totally unique in the way they move and fight and suitably unsettling, while the more “normal” dude enemies have new tricks up their sleeve. Notably there is a single-rigged enemy with aggressive AI, which is unusual, and he has a unique ranged attack. I haven’t determined if the weapon he drops allows the player to use the ranged attack. Other enemies share a unique ranged attack that is terrifying and caught me completely by surprise. The big dudes, in red heavy armor, absolutely clown on me, doing one-shot damage to a highish level NG+ character.

2). The new weapons look really cool! I haven’t gotten all of them but some of them are clearly novelty weapons, while others may have stuff you can do at high energy like the MG Judge. I haven’t had occasion to test this yet.

3). You can totally just go right to the DLC from Central Production. I got thoroughly owned by some enemies in NG+ so it took me an hour to plow through to the train, but once you do you’re golden.

4). They took a new story direction, and there is a new “helper” character to replace Sally for this area that is unique in that he seems perfectly sane. I’ve not seen much of the story yet but I’m thoroughly intrigued, something different and more sinister is going on here than what happened in the main facility. Also they’ve finally clarified that there were in fact ongoing tours of CREO by guests of the park and that’s the purpose of all the Don videos lmao.

5). The area honestly looks really great and is a fresh, vibrant departure from the main game.

I haven’t seen enough to have cons yet but my main early concern is that the new weapons won’t be useful enough to use unless you are dedicated to using them over the good poo poo from the main game.

Edit: I'm seeing criticism that the DLC is relatively speaking early in the game, and not geared toward endgame players, which implies confirmation of my fear that the DLC weapons and armor aren't going to be terribly useful overall. Definitely don't start on a file where you're near the end of the game and backtrack for the DLC, start fresh or do NG+ for it.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 5, 2017

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Sally is perfectly sane I don't know what you are talking about. it's not like she has a new cranky and invasive neighbor.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just finished the DLC and it was utterly fantastic. Absolutely worth the money in very way, it adds so so much to the game and is a really fun shift in tone that I think the game benefitted from. I'm so glad I bought this game, it's turning out to be one of my favorites for sure.

edit: The new thread will be up probably tomorrow by the way, gotta draw/write up an OP for it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I JUST beat the final boss as well in NG+, holy absolute gently caress was he hard to kill.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
There's going to be a new thread?

The DLC so far has been pretty interesting. I haven't finished it yet, I guess I've cleared the first half and some change by my guess. It's been a fair bit easier than I expected and indeed than much of the main game -- NG+ has been consistently two-shotting me throughout this experience, but here I can actually take a few blows and I can really shred apart most enemies I meet. I'm still mainlining my Lohengrin, which is the DLC ice spear and is very fun.

The first boss was wonderful, it was exactly what I wanted the Black Cerberus fight to be and I enjoyed clowning the poo poo out of the guy. He managed to get a sneaky kill on me my first go on him, but the second time around I was happily knocking him into tar and fire pits. Also, I got a weapon call the Carbon something that's made out of cables and is dope.

And also I got a fire axe.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
The DLC was kinda brief, I tihnk I got through it in like 2 hours. It's a welcome addition, but all the new implants is what I'm most interested in.

The boss was kinda goofy. You can use the old Dark Souls method of running into it's crotch and pummeling away and it works most of the time.

The look of the new area is good but I feel like again the level design is a page out of their previous labyrinth layouts.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Based on watching CJacobs’ run, the DLC is substantially easier on a fresh run. In NG+ it took me 4-5 hours to clear due to the enemies being a significant threat from the start, and I wouldn’t characterize the level as small, it’s at least as large as R&D and is one of the largest levels in the game from a pure area perspective.

The final boss was fun to me, I had him at an absolute sliver on my first try and I got clowned on because I ran out of healing items. I think his first phase is a little janky, on NG+ his overhead swing can kill you from ~75%, but his second phase is awesome and he’s got great telegraphs and looks great. It’s a little silly as far as theme but I thought the underlying idea (the nano machines taking over a rudimentary theme park mascot AI and it doing what it was programmed to do) was fitting and fun.

The level is labrynthine in the second half but the first half has fairly well defined sections with big open spaces and nice, easy to navigate layouts overall. The departure from service corridor spam from the main game (for the most part, they’re still there but not nearly as common) was also refreshing.

The biggest disappointment for the DLC is the new weapons, which by and large don’t seem to do anything particularly special. They all look and sound great and a lot of effort went into them, but the game just has a structural problem with how its weapon works that goes beyond the DLC.

I had a lot of fun and I would give the DLC a solid B+, with high marks for improving its story presentation from the base game.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 6, 2017

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Lightning Knight posted:

The biggest disappointment for the DLC is the new weapons, which by and large don’t seem to do anything particularly special. They all look and sound great and a lot of effort went into them, but the game just has a structural problem with how its weapon works that goes beyond the DLC.

I had a lot of fun and I would give the DLC a solid B+, with high marks for improving its story presentation from the base game.

Agreed on the weapons being an overall disappointment, for the same reason. The DLC however brought into light what often irritate me with the game: enemy attacks that lack wind-up, or have lovely readability imo, like combos with a huge slowdown. It can be really fustrating to get nailed with an attack that seems to come out of nowhere.
Finally, gently caress whoever designed the mascots' moveset, as it seems to be designed to be loving annoying above everything else: weirdly timed attacks, huge leaps and dodges, loving "wave all your energy and stamina adios", ranged attacks if you want to run past them.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I thought the mascots were ok because they really don’t hit very hard and they always have unarmored bodies to plow through them. If they did a ton of damage they’d be more annoying to me but even taking on the whole parade is entirely doable in NG+ because they’re so easy to stunlock.

I just appreciated that they were different and fun.

the nanomascots were horrifying though and I loved them, though they put them in very inconvenient locations for fighting. The one right at the end of the boss run is a total dick move on Deck13’s part.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
deck13's next souls-like is going to be amazing

spaceships fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 7, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If they do make a sequel to The Surge, I hope we get to play as Elizabeth, and that we get to rescue Warren right at the end. Poor bastard doesn't deserve any of the poo poo he's gone through :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Warren is having the worst first day at work any human being has ever had at any job ever, and the DLC only serves to cement that further. Also whoops I forgot I was gonna make the new thread. I'll do it today sometime for real this time.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
There’s a second drop point for the Velocity Array (Lynx passive) implant in the room with the two smelter bots holy poo poo I could’ve had this mod the whole game. :negative:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CJacobs posted:

Warren is having the worst first day at work any human being has ever had at any job ever, and the DLC only serves to cement that further. Also whoops I forgot I was gonna make the new thread. I'll do it today sometime for real this time.

Can you link it here when you do?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ilmucche posted:

Can you link it here when you do?

Yeah, will do. It'll be going up tonight because I forgot again. I also knocked another 14 minutes off of my speedrun record this morning so I'm psyched for that and will also be posting that video when it's done processing!!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, will do. It'll be going up tonight because I forgot again. I also knocked another 14 minutes off of my speedrun record this morning so I'm psyched for that and will also be posting that video when it's done processing!!

so when's the Official CJacobs LP of The Surge coming out?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CJacobs posted:

Sweet, where do you post them?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'll be doing an LP of this game eventually for sure, dunno when though. I've got a lot on my plate at the moment but it's definitely on my to do list.

ilmucche posted:

Sweet, where do you post them?

I post them on my YouTube channel, which is also where I stream them when they're in progress. If you subscribe you get a notification automatically when I go live!

Here is the latest run, done this morning. In total I've cut about an hour and a half of time out of the run since my first and I'm quite happy with how I'm improving!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxLBDfooLxg&t=845s
(run starts at 14:05)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Warren always looks a bit like Willem Defoe to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I have this image of C Jacobs starting a new speedrun before breakfast, only to fling a controller through his window because the toast popped before Big Sister.

• Locked thread