Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

CJacobs posted:

This game is fantastic! I am loving it so far, targeting enemy bodies for specific loot is a really great idea and I love just the raw number of animations every weapon has. The only criticism I have of it so far is that targeting enemy bodies is a pain in the rear end and is very finnicky, so I'm always short on body materials because I hardly ever have time to lock on. I also streamed my first 3-ish hours of the game and it went really well and was great fun, you can watch the archive here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkKH3NbfvpM
(stream starts at 10:00)

edit: Also, I saw a loading screen tip that claimed you can "receive boss equipment upon defeating them, but can obtain unique versions by killing them in special ways". What does that entail? Does anyone know how to do such a thing? I've only beaten the first boss so far and I didn't really see any "special" ways to win the fight.

From what i've read for the first boss the "hardcore kill" is to not use his own rockets to stagger him, second boss is to cut off all its legs and the others have "hardcore kills" which give better versions of their drops

and, for the first boss, you just get a 2.0 version of the weapon it drops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damone
May 3, 2009
I'm noticing that impact weapons like the heavy duties stagger robotic enemies easier, thrusts tend to mess up unarmored humanoid heads and slicing unarmored legs causes humanoids to get on a knee. The combat in this game is definitely hard, but I'm starting to notice a flow. Even those security bots are starting to get chumped by my hacked off robot leg.

Game's good, performance is weird on pc. (Nvidia 970) Micro stutters and some areas just dive for a few seconds before returning to stable high fps the first time you enter the area.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

CJacobs posted:

The fast enemies with the twinblades are the bane of my goddamn existence. Also, just when I think the game can't drop any cooler weapons on me, it continues its constant chain of one-upping itself with more and more badass things to smack suckers with.

Twinblade enemies are the easiest, block their initial bum rush and target something unarmored. I'm in full lynx gear with the chainsaw sword and they don't break my guard.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I'm not sure about Rhino, you can't take many hits either way, weapons appear to do more damage through combos than power hits and blocking is a massive stamina hog. But I'm not very far in so I don't know too much!

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Yeah, at first, dodging seemed to be the way to go but after rebinding the block key, using it and the jump/duck stuff makes a ton of the earlier fights much easier. I'm still having issues with the 4 legged robot with the whip tail, can't seem to either do enough damage or kill it before it kills me, but everything else so far I've got down pretty well. I kind of hate the fact that some enemies have guns though.. and I really wanted the security armor set, but after beating them, they don't respawn, and I didn't get any armor drops off of either.

edit: oh, and I forgot to add, it seems you can stagger enemies by switching which direction you attack from if you don't want to do a power hit, so attack left, then attack right generally causes human guys to stagger around a bit.

fromoutofnowhere fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 17, 2017

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

How are the various versions of this game VS eachother?

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
It's so easy to get lost in this game, the level design is a complete mess of cluttered winding corridors with few memorable landmarks.
I'm in the third area now, got a new kind of key item, so now I'm kind of getting the impression that I have to backtrack to some extent? I'm taking a long break from the game to psyche myself up for that, holy moley.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Put a few hours into it. I'm at the second checkpoint thing. Seems O.K.

I think they have, so far, the same problem they had with ol' Lords and that being the rather bland design of everything. I'm hoping they'll start to mix things up sooner rather than later.

I have no idea why I should use vertical or horizontal swings, everything seems to die fine by using either, seems like I can cut off limbs and heads just fine using either so.... ????

Also don't understand the goofy ducking and jumping block, what are those for? Maybe I missed some tutorial textbox.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
If you do an up/down dodge correctly, then do any attack, you seem to do a special move that stuns the enemy for a while. Handy for positioning yourself to a weak point of theirs. No idea about directional attacks though, I've been doing fine just mashing R1 and R2 haphazardly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Stormgale posted:

How are the various versions of this game VS eachother?

PSPoor and XB1 are locked to 30fps, the Pro can handle 60fps @ 1080p if you run it in performance mode, and the only limitation to PC is how much $$ you spent on your system. Given that frame timings and precise inputs are important to games like these you might want to favor a beefier system. Digital Foundry has a more in-detail summary of this. In summary: Deck13 did a good job taking advantage of the Pro hardware and you shouldn't have any problems on a decent PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDKmJB629-0

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The difference between horizontal and vertical attacks is length and the ability to have distance. It what really keeps those fast Twin Attachment fast fucks from getting too close and attacking you when you attack to widdle down your health.

Beat the first boss, P.A.X., using the pain in the rear end alternate method of just attacking his feet during his stomps instead of letting him missile himself and got a beefier boss weapon from it. So far the game has kind of ramped up its bullshit of making you grind core energy to do anything on top of grinding for gear and armor, really padding out its lack of content in a noticeable way by making you have to sweat to make everything you need.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I want them to offer a New Game=, not New Game+ so I can go back and play at the same difficulty to get the special boss weapons that I'll inevitably miss the first time. I don't want to try to get those and deal with the hard mode. The alternative of starting over from scratch sucks because of the grind. :(

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
First time playing this type of game. Almost gave up after an hour but once I realized how to upgrade stuff I got hooked. I have not beat the first level.

So far I just have a complete armor set and the chainsaw thing.

I don't know how to parry.
I can't beat that crane thing that spins around.
I have no idea where to go or what my objective is. I am thinking I need to get behind that door with the red 55 rank. Not sure how to do that though- do I just keep leveling my guy up?

Game is still fun as gently caress. The cutting off limbs for gear system is really cool. Eventually I put the slow mo on low since I was executing everything.

I can handle two enemies at a time but anything more than that and I get smashed.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

swims posted:

I have no idea where to go or what my objective is. I am thinking I need to get behind that door with the red 55 rank. Not sure how to do that though- do I just keep leveling my guy up?

It's not the 55 door, you've missed another one.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

So I took a couple swipes with a new weapon in ops for 2nd area and hit the medicine guy. Now he ran away and wont come back... so watch that.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Random thoughts:

One of the things I've noticed is that this game is not souls-like in that you can't really level up and upgrade to make current content easier past a certain point. The baddies will only drop crafting mats of their equipment tier, so you can't upgrade to tier 3 if you're in the second zone. And upgrading your powercore gives you only the tiniest of incremental improvements based on your implants, often just a single health or stamina point. The Surge is the literal embodiment of "Git Gud".

Also you totally can do a back attack on unaware enemies. Hold down RB and you'll kick humanoids' knees out and they'll fall into a kneeling position that'll give you enough time for some free whacks.

The third zone is a kick in the nuts. gently caress those scorpion robots forever. Is the staff just the wrong weapon for them?

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Merrill Grinch posted:

The third zone is a kick in the nuts. gently caress those scorpion robots forever. Is the staff just the wrong weapon for them?

I found the safest way to fight the scorpions is just to hit and run with dash attacks. Also if you think the third zone is a kick in the nuts just wait for the 4th one, the game keeps ramping up difficulty pretty steadily throughout.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

So after I killed the security guards in the second area, I tapped the wong button on my controller and ended up killing the second guy you rescue that needs his medication. Is he required for obtaining items later on, which would make it worthwhile to restart?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmR1ehmmwkc

Also, I like the med bay music. I do wish there was more than the one track but hey at least they picked a good one!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Actually a pretty good game. LotF was mediocre as hell, but this is a lot more enjoyable. Also, they remembered that colours exist beyond the brown and grey side of the colour spectrum, which is always nice!

Only problem I have with the game so far is the flashlight - maybe it's just me, but I seriously cannot see poo poo with it on. Does it get better as you upgrade your equipment, or is it only ever capable of illuminating an area 4 feet in front of me?

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Actually a pretty good game. LotF was mediocre as hell, but this is a lot more enjoyable. Also, they remembered that colours exist beyond the brown and grey side of the colour spectrum, which is always nice!

Only problem I have with the game so far is the flashlight - maybe it's just me, but I seriously cannot see poo poo with it on. Does it get better as you upgrade your equipment, or is it only ever capable of illuminating an area 4 feet in front of me?

My favorite thing about The Surge is it's basically a testament that Deck 13 learned from their fuckups from LotF.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
The level design could use some sprucing, mostly just some landmarks or some sort of scenery that'll help you figure out just where the hell you are. I've been running up and down the second stage like 2 hours now and whenever I find some new area I get goofed and then I forget how to get there. Luckily there is a good number of shortcuts but idk, the scenery is hard to tell apart.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The flashlights are all different sizes depending on the chest armour you have on. All the flashlights I've found are pretty bad except for the Liquidator one.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I read that the non-aggro security guards in the second zone drop security rig part blueprints, so I started practicing on them. After a lot of learning (they hit extremely hard), I finally got one weakened to show the finisher prompt...and he did his jump back move into a tiny little bottomless hole I had never noticed in a corner.

Ok, well there's two of them; I have a second chance. Damned if the second one didn't do the exact same thing. And they don't respawn. Dammit.

Damone
May 3, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The Scarab one is worse, it lights up all around you but only for like, 3 feet. And it's piss yellow.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
dodging is so loving hard in this game. it's reminding me of why I hated dark souls and bloodborne. it seems to be press dodge key>dodge>get hit anyway.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Mycroft Holmes posted:

dodging is so loving hard in this game. it's reminding me of why I hated dark souls and bloodborne. it seems to be press dodge key>dodge>get hit anyway.

:gitgud:

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Is mkll gear found in level 2 and mklll in level 3, etc or can you max your guy out early?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

swims posted:

Is mkll gear found in level 2 and mklll in level 3, etc or can you max your guy out early?

I think it's gated like that. God knows why they didn't allow stacking of MK's to get to next level, that would be cool and appease to those among us who would spend a few hours just grinding those upgrades.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I'm losing my rag. Backtracked from the third zone, all the way to the first, then back to the third, and I've found nothing. No idea how I'm supposed to progress at all.

Saved the scientist in the greenhouse who gave me some kind of chip I'm meant to give to somebody in "The Executive Layers". I just can't find any progression point for the life of me. All the unopened doors I've run across are those ones I need security identification clearance for.
This level design is awful.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Merrill Grinch posted:

Ok, well there's two of them; I have a second chance. Damned if the second one didn't do the exact same thing. And they don't respawn. Dammit.

I've seen people say that the security guards become regular enemies later in the game and it's much easier to get the armor from them then.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Obsurveyor posted:

I've seen people say that the security guards become regular enemies later in the game and it's much easier to get the armor from them then.

I killed one to get its weapon. It's an electrified staff that hits multiple times with each swing. Looks cool as hell, but I've yet to find anything that beats the sword saw you get at the beginning.

Damone
May 3, 2009

FauxLeather posted:

I'm losing my rag. Backtracked from the third zone, all the way to the first, then back to the third, and I've found nothing. No idea how I'm supposed to progress at all.

Saved the scientist in the greenhouse who gave me some kind of chip I'm meant to give to somebody in "The Executive Layers". I just can't find any progression point for the life of me. All the unopened doors I've run across are those ones I need security identification clearance for.
This level design is awful.

Once you come back from the third level to the second level with the tram make your way back a little ways, you should've seen some enemies cross your way to the right and fight each other on a large walkway. You just unlocked the ability to open more poo poo with your drone(you did pick the up that thing next to the scientist right?), at the end of that walkway is one of those drone overcharge things. She does instruct you to go to circulation but her directions are a bit meh. I think you're supposed to notice those enemies and naturally follow them to that door/large shutter.

There's quite a few things you can miss if you don't keep an eye for things. I got a new rig, weapons and implants from smashing various objects.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Damone posted:

There's quite a few things you can miss if you don't keep an eye for things. I got a new rig, weapons and implants from smashing various objects.
Cheers man, I'll give that another go
I actually already went to Circulation and explored it a bunch, I suppose I just wasn't thorough enough. Looped around on myself and found my way back to the entrance, assumed I explored it fully.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Yeah it sucks that you can't upgrade beyond what the area provides for parts but it's don't forget the more you grind with one weapon type the higher your proficiency gets.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
How's the weapon/build variety?

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

Russian Remoulade posted:

How's the weapon/build variety?

Not super wide, but each class of weapon feels distinct. Armor sets determine build more or less, and from what I've seen, going from heavy to light armor might as well be playing a different character.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Some weapons, like the chainsaw sword, generate energy faster, which means you get to that nice limb-slicing amount of energy faster.

I really wish I could turn my giant wrench into a bolt gun like these assholes in the factory do.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
How the loving poo poo do you fight these spiders? Do I have to learn how to block and counter them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Crabtree posted:

How the loving poo poo do you fight these spiders? Do I have to learn how to block and counter them?

If you mean the arc welding things on three legs...yeah, pretty much. They're there to teach you how to dodge high or duck low to counter some attacks. Get used to how they telegraph it. After a successful dodge your attack will shove them to the ground and you can attack their unarmored back leg.

For the record, I hate them too. I'm just as likely to just run past these assholes.

• Locked thread