Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I'm stuck on the first boss, but know his pattern now. Just need to cool down for a bit.

Question, when I was exploring the dark tunnels I heard a dude asking for me to let him out. When I finally got power up and running again and went back there it was just a big beefy enemy. Did the survivor die because I was taking too long or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Rookersh posted:

Question, when I was exploring the dark tunnels I heard a dude asking for me to let him out. When I finally got power up and running again and went back there it was just a big beefy enemy. Did the survivor die because I was taking too long or something?

There's only the hammer guy trying to trick you behind that door. Seems like just an indication that the guy is unique and the earliest chance at his weapon.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

Speedball posted:

If you mean the arc welding things on three legs...yeah, pretty much. They're there to teach you how to dodge high or duck low to counter some attacks. Get used to how they telegraph it. After a successful dodge your attack will shove them to the ground and you can attack their unarmored back leg.

For the record, I hate them too. I'm just as likely to just run past these assholes.

Or just circle strafe right and as soon as they wind up, smack the back leg. Easy peasy and you don't have to learn anything new and scary.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Is this Souls style where all the armor is roughly the same, and it's your upgrades that change things? Because youch, the Lynx armor looks significantly better across the board then the other two armor sets I've found so far in terms of power cost/bonuses. Better set bonuses too.

Just wish it actually gained more bits and pieces as I upgraded it. Looks a bit bland.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
The duck and jump mechanic is bad. It should have its own dedicated button, not q+mousewheel up or down. I can't time that poo poo! Just beat firebug though and got the special weapon drop. Dat owns.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

Rookersh posted:

Is this Souls style where all the armor is roughly the same, and it's your upgrades that change things? Because youch, the Lynx armor looks significantly better across the board then the other two armor sets I've found so far in terms of power cost/bonuses. Better set bonuses too.

Just wish it actually gained more bits and pieces as I upgraded it. Looks a bit bland.

Lynx is light armor. Basically high speed, low poise. No armor really lets you tank hits, but higher stability armor with keep you from getting staggered. Low stab gives you more stamina and faster attack speed.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.

Rookersh posted:

So I'm stuck on the first boss, but know his pattern now. Just need to cool down for a bit.

Just bumrush the first boss. Hit both legs though. I killed him with the regular yellow arm thing. On accident. Once his orange bar is full he drops down and you can smash him.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here's something I've been wondering, does the game ever go into why Warren is crippled? It's a little detail but I kinda liked it and want to know more, and maybe I missed it. I've been playing for like 15 hours now between my two save files and I just realized that I don't actually know why he was in a wheelchair.

edit: Also, something must be wrong with my brain because I like the guy despite the internet telling me I shouldn't! I appreciate that he is kind of a smartass, and that every time someone has said "boy things sure are a mess around here" I've had the opportunity to respond with the equivalent of "lol no poo poo".

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 18, 2017

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Here's something I've been wondering, does the game ever go into why Warren is crippled? It's a little detail but I kinda liked it and want to know more, and maybe I missed it. I've been playing for like 15 hours now between my two save files and I just realized that I don't actually know why he was in a wheelchair.

edit: Also, something must be wrong with my brain because I like the guy despite the internet telling me I shouldn't! I appreciate that he is kind of a smartass, and that every time someone has said "boy things sure are a mess around here" I've had the opportunity to respond with the equivalent of "lol no poo poo".

Warren is crippled because now we get to play as a cripple. It'd be like if he was a GAy.. and Not a able-bodied CIS White Male Protagonist. and Kotaku is happy

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Gortarius posted:

I have no idea why I should use vertical or horizontal swings, everything seems to die fine by using either, seems like I can cut off limbs and heads just fine using either so.... ????

you'll hit different body parts, and do less damage, depending on your swing. aim at an unarmored leg and do a vertical swing and often you'll just hit the arrmored body

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Russian Remoulade posted:

How's the weapon/build variety?

weapons are all pretty unique in how they handle

"builds" aren't the same as in dark souls. you don't get to upgrade X Y Z stat of your choice. but it's still really open and you have freedom in terms of building your character how you want to play. you'll be really choosing and upgrading a specific weapon and armour set and running certain implants to have a "build". for example, i'm running light armour as to have high stamina, with a fast attack weapon that has a decent amount of energy build up per hit, and in terms of implants (really what will make your "build") i'm running +20% energy generation, +20% energy generation, 10% heal on finisher, 10% heal on finisher, and an injectible that let's me use my built up energy to heal myself, meaning i don't have X amount of health potions. so i've made my build really focused around generating energy quick to sustain myself in worst case scenario.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I'm so loving lost on where I am, where I am supposed to go or what I'm supposed to do. Is there like a questlog, a map? Anything?

I know there has been like two of those YOU ARE HERE maps but those aren't very helpful.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's no map or quest log, no. It's hard to give you advice without knowing what area you're in (even a number works just fine). Generally speaking, though, there are multiple ways to get to the end of the area but they all converge until there's only one way forward.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

Gortarius posted:

I'm so loving lost on where I am, where I am supposed to go or what I'm supposed to do. Is there like a questlog, a map? Anything?

I know there has been like two of those YOU ARE HERE maps but those aren't very helpful.

Just explore, you should build up a map of the area in your head pretty quickly. So far each area has been more or less a loop around Ops, with shortcuts back to the centre opening up as you progress round the edge.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

In the first are going underground, losing 7k tech then running back and getting trapped in a boss fight which timed me out is kinda unfun

Also: Is there anything that makes the [spoiler]Toxic swampy stuff[/spoiler} More bearable?

Damone
May 3, 2009

Stormgale posted:

In the first are going underground, losing 7k tech then running back and getting trapped in a boss fight which timed me out is kinda unfun

Also: Is there anything that makes the Toxic swampy stuff[/spoiler} More bearable?

There's an implant for that. But I think you need to pay attention to find it. I forgot where I picked it up exactly. Spoilers for the 4th area [spoiler]smash all the display cases you see in R&D. There's implants, weapons and even a new rig that sports 12 implant slots to find!

Damone fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 18, 2017

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

CJacobs posted:

There's no map or quest log, no. It's hard to give you advice without knowing what area you're in (even a number works just fine). Generally speaking, though, there are multiple ways to get to the end of the area but they all converge until there's only one way forward.

I got to the third area, got my rear end handed there until I learned This One Easy Trick To Slay The Tripods and from what I gather now I'm supposed to backtrack to area 1 or 2? Something about ventilation shafts????

I hate it when the power nodes have no clear indication on what they just unlocked. Or maybe I missed it? What happens is that I find one of those things, overcharge it and then if there isn't a locked door like 10 meters away I'm never sure what I just accomplished.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Gortarius posted:

I got to the third area, got my rear end handed there until I learned This One Easy Trick To Slay The Tripods and from what I gather now I'm supposed to backtrack to area 1 or 2? Something about ventilation shafts????

I hate it when the power nodes have no clear indication on what they just unlocked. Or maybe I missed it? What happens is that I find one of those things, overcharge it and then if there isn't a locked door like 10 meters away I'm never sure what I just accomplished.

Follow the pipes

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

8th-snype posted:

I'm digging this game. It might be a little heretical to say but bosses aren't my favorite part of souls games, it's progressing through the level and finding better ways to kill or avoid enemies. THis game ramps that up by basically making every enemy "red eyed" difficulty level from the get go. gently caress the security dudes in the second area, at least they don't respawn.

Not heretical at all, that's the best way to enjoy souls games because then you enjoy the various replays that the game really wants you to do.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bosses are actually what I enjoy the least about Souls games too because despite the grandeur of the encounters I always find myself doing the cheapest poo poo possible so that I don't die.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Boss 3 is really easy once you turn off auto lockon in the options. But now these new drones with the projector suck; get your drone rear end down here so I can hit you fucker.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Found the entrance to where I am supposed to go by sheer luck basically. At first I thought I needed some upgrade since the drone button didn't work, but it turns out that you need to be very close to it for it to do anything? A prompt would've been nice since everything else has one.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Can you actually get security gear/a staff without killing security dudes? Game hasn't given me a reason to attack security at all yet, and that seems a bit crazy considering they are still "normal".

e: Both medium and heavy armor don't seem like a good value proposition. All the Operator stuff I've found gets you staggered if you get hit, but you have so much more stamina/attack speed to work with you shouldn't be getting hit. Also when I get hit with medium/heavy armor I might not stagger sure, but I find myself running out of stamina so quickly, and attacking so slowly I take more hits overall. And the actual armor values aren't that much higher to justify that.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 18, 2017

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Rookersh posted:

Can you actually get security gear/a staff without killing security dudes? Game hasn't given me a reason to attack security at all yet, and that seems a bit crazy considering they are still "normal".

Haven't come across one just lying around yet. I think you'll have to chop 'em up to get one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rookersh posted:

Yes, if you don't feel like being a jerk to them, just continue playing. You'll eventually have a reason to be. Beating up the ones in the early areas is just a way to get their stuff early.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One of the pop-up tips I got during dying mentioned something about how holding a bunch of Tech Scrap without banking it has a chance of activating random buffs whenever you kill enemies. Anybody know more about this?

I do know the longer you go before returning to the medbay in ops to refill your healing, the more your tech scrap bonus increases for killing stuff, but that seems different than what I mentioned above.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Any tips for the second bosses second phase? I can reliably reach it without taking a hit, but then I get caught up in either trying to power struggle against the middle bit, or spend an eternity flailing against it's remaining legs.

It doesn't seem like it'd be that challenging to just go 9-12 Estus and full hog the computer down, but that feels like cheating.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The second phase is a lot harder until you realize that being directly in its face is actually the safest spot, despite the inherent danger. The arms have a spinning attack that is pretty easy to dodge and very punish-able, just hang out near one of them and it'll likely do it. Dodge back, then forward and smack it once or twice. Once the arms are out of the way, jump right underneath it and stay there. The stomping attack it has is the only one that can hit you there, but it's got a long wind-up, so if you pay attention you have more than enough time to dodge out from underneath before it comes down.

edit: Alternatively, leave just one arm on, because it gains another new move that's far more annoying when you lop off the last one. Not necessarily more dangerous as long as you have your thumb on the heal button, but still.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Rookersh posted:

Any tips for the second bosses second phase? I can reliably reach it without taking a hit, but then I get caught up in either trying to power struggle against the middle bit, or spend an eternity flailing against it's remaining legs.

It doesn't seem like it'd be that challenging to just go 9-12 Estus and full hog the computer down, but that feels like cheating.

fyi the hardcore kill for the better drop is to cut all legs off

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Speedball posted:

One of the pop-up tips I got during dying mentioned something about how holding a bunch of Tech Scrap without banking it has a chance of activating random buffs whenever you kill enemies. Anybody know more about this?

I do know the longer you go before returning to the medbay in ops to refill your healing, the more your tech scrap bonus increases for killing stuff, but that seems different than what I mentioned above.

I did once receive another stimpack or whatever they are called when killing an enemy, could be related? I haven't seen it happen since so seems like some mysteriouse bonus to me.

Speaking of the stimpacks, can I upgrade my capacity for them with implants or something? I'm still on 3/3 with them and I'm replaying the second area. Feels like I maybe should have a few more?

Does upgrading armor do dick or is this like dark souls where you might as well run around naked?

Lastly, going back to the confusing layouts and hard to navigate areas, I think the problem is really that everything is so close to you, there's hardly any open areas that you could use to look at the scenery around you and see whats up ahead. It's all just narrow corridors, stairs up, stairs down, another corridor, a pile of containers, a warehouse etc.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

Gortarius posted:

I did once receive another stimpack or whatever they are called when killing an enemy, could be related? I haven't seen it happen since so seems like some mysteriouse bonus to me.

Speaking of the stimpacks, can I upgrade my capacity for them with implants or something? I'm still on 3/3 with them and I'm replaying the second area. Feels like I maybe should have a few more?

Does upgrading armor do dick or is this like dark souls where you might as well run around naked?

Lastly, going back to the confusing layouts and hard to navigate areas, I think the problem is really that everything is so close to you, there's hardly any open areas that you could use to look at the scenery around you and see whats up ahead. It's all just narrow corridors, stairs up, stairs down, another corridor, a pile of containers, a warehouse etc.

I forget where, but there's a second stim implant in area two that you can stack for 6.

Armor upgrades are good, although nothing will really keep you from getting chumped if you're careless. There's no havels set that I've seen anywhere.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I found two stimpack implants in the first area (though I can't remember where the second is), with a third near the start of the second, and they do stack. There's also a very good implant in the first area that lets you spend energy to heal, which is great if you take a beating off trash mobs and need to top up.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So far (just beat the first boss) been pretty impressed with this game. I like that this is an interesting and different direction to take a Souls-like unlike LotF, which was basically just straight up Dark Souls cloned. It's definitely not perfect; a bit too mazy and the corridors and stuff are too small for my huge dude but in general it's pretty fun.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hah, I just had a moment where the combat clicked with me and I started doing way better (i.e. not immediately dying) in the second area. Namely I've started to actively block and drat blocking is good in this, what with blocking all damage (at least from physical attacks) and having those special followup moves. That and realizing that the enemies' generally slow movements mean I can easily find the time to recover stamina, which means I can more freely spend it (such as with blocking).

This is why I love Souls-likes more than Dark Souls as of late, the changes they make to the combat and other stuff mean I actually run into trouble and have to really experiment, rather than just play the same way I always do in the actual Dark Souls games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
How the hell do I fight these tripod things. I am in the third area and they are destroying poor Warren. Help please.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

CJacobs posted:

How the hell do I fight these tripod things. I am in the third area and they are destroying poor Warren. Help please.

The spider guys that jump, or the guys with the weak rear leg? Haven't gotten to three yet.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The former. They are also in the second area, thankfully confined to their own quarantine zone.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Alright yeah, just hit R&D and I think it's time I take a break from this.

Third Boss fight was just bad. 1 and 2 weren't the best, but I could at least appreciate the attempt. Third boss was Bed of Chaos robot edition, and when I beat it I got a hot "1/3!" popup. Yeah no, 1 of 1 was bad enough.

Worldbuilding feels too focused on the core plot ( which admittedly is interesting and a lot of those hidden achievements look real crazy ), rather then on the more handbuilt world feel of the other Souls games. Even LotF felt like a cohesive place, and it was all contained outside of the hellportals. From the beginning to the end, I could walk there with limited to no loading, and could mentally map out the entire Monastery. Same with other Souls games, I can tell you largely where everything is in the world just off of how I went through them. This is just way too hectic/mazelike. A billion shortcuts through a billion mazelike levels, to a billion mazelike rooms you'll only see once. First zone felt pretty good, and from the looks of things forth zone looks pretty good, but christ that second zone was a mess. The trains and other methods of hopping around don't really help matters.

I like it, and I'll beat it eventually. If they had combined LotFs world/cohesiveness with this games combat it'd be a real winner. As is, just lots of small things that don't really fit.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

CJacobs posted:

The former. They are also in the second area, thankfully confined to their own quarantine zone.

High impact to their legs staggers them enough for a decent combo. You can also bust the tail to gimp their attack and get a +core power implant. Otherwise, stay close and circle strafe. Any distance and they lunge, which I'm still struggling to counter. Close attacks seem easier to predict.

:ninja:: Also, you can't use the implant to open level gated valves early. I tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Executive Forum boss spoilers: My first thought upon seeing the gimmick was "wow, I bet this is gonna be tedious and not at all fun", and boy oh boy was I right! gently caress bosses that can regain health.

• Locked thread