Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Finally beat him and got the special weapon. Yeah, ended up doing exactly what you said. He has so much health, even if you get a few whacks in on the core on accident, you do the damage you need to do. Yosuke Butterfly was key for me for this boss.

I still really don't like enemies that turtle like in this game. They just back themselves into corners and then you're like, "Welp, this sucks". Those ARC robot bastards are still my most hated because they do that to me all the time. They have too many standoff weapons that prevent you from getting in and doing any damage, so they just turtle in a corner and heal themselves if you back off too far. They always seem to be perfectly placed to just back right into a corner and turtle up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Obsurveyor posted:

Finally beat him and got the special weapon. Yeah, ended up doing exactly what you said. He has so much health, even if you get a few whacks in on the core on accident, you do the damage you need to do. Yosuke Butterfly was key for me for this boss.

I still really don't like enemies that turtle like in this game. They just back themselves into corners and then you're like, "Welp, this sucks". Those ARC robot bastards are still my most hated because they do that to me all the time. They have too many standoff weapons that prevent you from getting in and doing any damage, so they just turtle in a corner and heal themselves if you back off too far. They always seem to be perfectly placed to just back right into a corner and turtle up.

There's a stun drone ability (somewhere in area 2 or 3?) that shits on the ARC welders since it makes them powerless from stopping you attacking the hind leg. That said the welders, from what I've seen, never seem to really block your progress. You can just go past them, they are too slow and big to really follow you at all.

I think I fudged the medicine sidequest, was there some noteworthy reward for that?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Gortarius posted:

I think I fudged the medicine sidequest, was there some noteworthy reward for that?

Still freaking looking. Talk to that console in the Medbay if you haven't yet. That woman says there's no information about Davey even being on meds. Now I'm wondering if I leave him alive if he's gonna kill people ala Dark Souls/Bloodbourne.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Omi no Kami posted:

So wow, the jumping robots that one-shot me through heavy armor in area 3 have completely obliterated my desire to keep playing tonight.

This is exactly where I'm at, and I'm about 5 deaths away from feeling the same.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Brackhar posted:

This is exactly where I'm at, and I'm about 5 deaths away from feeling the same.

Nope, make that 2 deaths. Ok, I'm done, unless a balance patch comes out or someone can reveal some secret way to not always die in 1-2 hits.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

So wow, the jumping robots that one-shot me through heavy armor in area 3 have completely obliterated my desire to keep playing tonight.

Back them motherfuckers into a corner, target the legs, and wail away!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If anyone would like to watch, I'm currently streaming the game on my second playthrough (not NG+, just a new save file). I have made it to the second area and will soon be flailing against the more difficult enemies to be found there. Check it out here if you'd like.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Man, I wish it wasn't such a freaking slog just to get the chance to practice against these new enemies in the third level. They're also super loving cheesy with their jumps and attacks that home in on you so their legs hit you, even if you dodge to the side.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Just reached a new common enemy: arc welders they are waaaaayyyy hard to kill from the front and really hard to circle around behind.

This game is pretty drat good, but just running past everything seems to be the pro-est strat so far.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

CJacobs posted:

If anyone would like to watch, I'm currently streaming the game on my second playthrough (not NG+, just a new save file). I have made it to the second area and will soon be flailing against the more difficult enemies to be found there. Check it out here if you'd like.

Totally stealing your strat for the ARC robots. :)

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Brackhar posted:

Nope, make that 2 deaths. Ok, I'm done, unless a balance patch comes out or someone can reveal some secret way to not always die in 1-2 hits.

Use as many health increase implants as possible, that is what makes the difference. Armor? Pfft... Doesn't seem to do dick in all honesty so you might as well go with a fast/light armor. You can probably save up on some core power too.

Against the tripod/spider things, the technique I've found that works pretty well, in open areas, is the ol' dash forward + attack -> dash back -> wait for stamina. It's the ultimate pussy tactic but it works. Or get some distance, they make the clonk sound and stand up a bit indicating the jump attack. It does have some homing element to it BUT if you dodge it just before it is about to hit, it seems to always miss.

Also what helps a lot is the stun module for the drone. I'm fairly sure it stuns everything except a few bosses for approx. 2 seconds. Now if you want to get discouraged then know that there will eventually be upgrades to the tripod robots.

I believe I'm at what is the final boss. The final area is kinda interesting but I loathe the last enemy type they introduce. Speaking of Drone modules, I still only have the default one + the stun, but I'm at the final boss. So where are the rest of them?

Story is pretty weak at the start and doesn't really become interesting ever but I like the concept they are going for towards the end. The characters in the game are really worthless though and I'm kinda reminded of Half-Life 2 NPC's when looking at them. They have that same bargain bin look to them. The armor sets are kinda generic looking too.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Gortarius posted:

Also what helps a lot is the stun module for the drone. I'm fairly sure it stuns everything except a few bosses for approx. 2 seconds. Now if you want to get discouraged then know that there will eventually be upgrades to the tripod robots.

Yeah yet to get that upgrade. I've killed a total of 1 so far, 2nd one has gotten me every time. Fighting through the stupid parts just to get to them to practice in an open area is just so draining. Especially those dumb robots with some kind of debuff that prevents your energy from regenerating for way too long.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
oh holy poo poo these new guys in the nucleus area.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Wow, such a turn around. Went on a crazy run where I got through the first major part of the third level by the skin of my teeth and brought back 18k. Opened up a much appreciated shortcut. I think I found that drone module Gortarius was talking about, haven't tried it yet. Now to rescue Dr. Chavez!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

vandalism posted:

Back them motherfuckers into a corner, target the legs, and wail away!

I'm curious, what's the evasive strategy here? If I kite carefully and fight them one-on-one I can kill the tail in one stamina bar (I'm using the Mk II bloodhound in gorgon gear), but even targeting the legs it takes me a solid 2-3 combos to kill them the rest of the way, and it seems like everything they do forces a trade; if I back off they leap, and if I get too close they do that almost instant flip that chews off half my life bar. Is the idea to dart forward and backwards in order to bait an attack, then dart forward and hit them once while they're in cooldown?

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm curious, what's the evasive strategy here? If I kite carefully and fight them one-on-one I can kill the tail in one stamina bar (I'm using the Mk II bloodhound in gorgon gear), but even targeting the legs it takes me a solid 2-3 combos to kill them the rest of the way, and it seems like everything they do forces a trade; if I back off they leap, and if I get too close they do that almost instant flip that chews off half my life bar. Is the idea to dart forward and backwards in order to bait an attack, then dart forward and hit them once while they're in cooldown?

If they are getting ready to leap, sidestep and dodge that. I eat the hits from the spinny arm attack because it does relatively little damage.

I just hit the security door in R&D and am now encountering chrysalis armor enemies. Smashing the chargeback button on my credit as hard and fast as humanly possible. These guys are fucklords. Their armor changes locations.

The dying in one hit meme was cool in dark souls because you can adapt and learn. In The Surge, poo poo just relentlessly fucks you over and it takes a while to learn the strategy. I'm thinking there is no strategy to these chrysalis guys though other than get hosed.

Here are some of my serious criticisms of the game:

It suffers from the same Lords of the Fallen "terrible protagonist" syndrome. Warren is flat and static as gently caress. A good protagonist should be dynamic in this type of game, a game that's trying to give you a believable and fleshed out character. I'd prefer a character generator and a silent protagonist, or some text options and voiced NPC's throughout the world. I hope they realize with this that their protagonist characters aren't that good, believable, or desirable. Get a real writer and flesh out a bunch of poo poo. Warren could have been a disabled veteran or something and gone into how the world has been plunged into chaos over dwindling resources and he could have had some flashbacks or commentary. Also, he never gets hype that he can walk again. Like wouldn't that be cool? OH HEY I'M NO LONGER CRIPPLED! Nothing about that whatsoever. I don't know what the ending is or anything, but I'm sure it won't shed enough light on him or his life to even merit there being a "Warren". He is lifeless cardboard and other than some lovely jokes brings nothing to the game. Huge missed opportunity there.

Some of the NPCs are cool but Irina is so goddamn stereotypical. I like some of the others. They were voiced well and were pretty good overall.

The huge damage and half health hits need to go in my view. If there were a way to mod it, I would.

The combat is fun and satisfying and I love the dismemberment. It feels heavy and weighted and all the good stuff combat should be.

Great sound design. The song is driving me nuts. Glad they fixed that. It's been stuck in my head, though. Kinda catchy.

The levels are interesting and fun. Some people complain they're repetitive. I don't feel that way. I like the heavy industrial areas and themes.

Ranged enemies cheapen the game since you can't cut off their poo poo and use it. That's the whole point of the game. Those weapons should either A) be available or B) not exist in the game. The current implementation is lazy design in my view. The whole selling point is cut off their poo poo and take it, and then we get levels filled with enemies that you can't do it to. Mind boggling.

Clunky controls and tacked on jump/dodge (feels like that to me anyway). I haven't successfully used it.

I die because I can't move. The knockdown from a lot of the enemies is bad and even the heaviest armor doesn't prevent it. If you aren't careful, you will get stunlocked and knocked down and combo'd to death quickly and easily. If you are careful, it will still happen so RIP. That unavoidable knockdown is also bad. Let me loving dodge out of being stunned or knocked down! It is not fun.

Enemies poise right through your heavy assault. That's why I only use the big fuckoff 2 hand swords. gently caress the twin rig guys that attack in a flurry right through my attacks.

There isn't much reason to use armor other than lynx. The rest costs so much rig capacity so you have to farm up, and the extra stamina and attack speed provided are great. I didn't really feel any armor progression because scarab/liquidator is pretty useless compared to lynx, and the rhino one isn't that great either. I like the mg gorgon but I upgraded to black cerberus so quickly after that the pacing felt off.

The game feels like I should be half way through it, but I know I'm farther in. I want there to be more. More areas, more variety, more attacks, more weapons and armor, more implants.

Implant variety and builds seem limited. I'm finding all this stuff like elemental damage, heal over time, weapon enhances, and other stuff. Well, that's great. I will never use any of it because I have to dedicate my entire rig to +health and healing flask implants. Can't hit for more when you're dead. I'd like to play with the implants, but I haven't even tried because I know I will just die and not make use of anything.

Multiple item hotkeys. Switching through items to find the right one in the heat of combat isn't feasible. Not even gonna bother with more than the healing flasks and the one that converts energy to health.

I dunno. Game is good and fun and I'm glad that I got it, but at the same time I wish that they had improved more over Lords of the Fallen. I wish they had gone in a slightly different direction. If this game was more like dark souls 3, that would own.

Oh yeah, the lack of multiplayer/coop/invasions hurts too. That would have been fun for me.

I think a sequel that was like 3 times as big and 3 times as much poo poo to do, character generator without voice acted protagonist, and multiplayer/invasions would be goty.

thanks for reading my novel

vandalism fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 21, 2017

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

The main thing they gently caress up is that they let your attacks reset enemies' animations. That's why those fast fuckers hit you through your attacks even though you're staggering them. You hit them once and they stagger but hit them again and they reset. It's really dumb. I mainly play them safe give em a few whacks then back off and parry them if I don't straight up kill them on the first round.

And yeah Omi, those security robots are just full of cheesy, annoying moves. AND to top them off, you constantly lose target on the tail too.

I hit Irina on accident, I hope she forgives me. :(

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 21, 2017

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

My patent-pending approach to the jumpy robots is just running the heck away, I'm hoping this will continue to be a viable thing as I advance.

I agree with most of the criticisms people are raising, but here's my own biggie: level design is really confusing. I don't want to flat-out say it sucks, because for the most part I've enjoyed exploring each area, but it is unbelievably mazelike to me. I cannot keep a mental map of where I am like in Souls, and I suspect I still have large unexplored chunks of areas 1 & 2 that I don't even know are there, simply because I got turned around. (Case in point, I'm currently revisiting area 2 and exploring the new tower thingy, and I cannot figure out where to go. I've gotten pretty high up, and I found a shortcut leading me along the pipe to that one super-aggro liquidator who's guarding a door straight back to ops, but once I went back and healed I couldn't remember how to get back to where I was, so next time I play I'm gonna have to ignore all that progress, start at the bottom of the tower again, and hope I keep a better mental map this time.

maths at university
Oct 26, 2010
For people having trouble with the jumpy robots, I found it easiest to target their tail, dodge forward and hit that as fast as I could to knock it off. Without that they only have the long range leap, which you just have to wait till they're airborne to dodge, and the backflip which can be blocked, giving an easy counter hit.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

The best strat for the jumpy robots is actually to wail a bit on a front leg till it looks damaged. Once that happens they slow their movements down a LOT. Then you can change targets to the back tail.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
this game is beating the poo poo out of poor warren.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Alright so I juiced up on health boost implants and got to around 650 health. At this point there is a LOT of margin to gently caress up. The problem here is that I'm level 82 and even with a full Lynx set my core is maxed out with the implants so it certainly doesn't seem possible to do early on or even in the middle parts.

I liked the final boss fight although it doesn't feel all that final boss'y. I think this is because the narrative is so loose and forgettable that you don't even realize that this is supposed to be something significant. The ending doesn't make much sense either. I think they would've been a lot better off with having a handful of actual cutscenes and some characters you can recognize and remember. They do have those big screens blabbing out exposition and a million audiologs but their placement is very baffling. Most of them are ok, but it isn't uncommon to get attacked by someone while trying to listen or watch this stuff, or for the audio to cut off because there is another audio clip that starts up three meters away from where you picked up the audiolog. The only real character is the spokesperson you see in the infomercials and if they hadn't shown what happened to him I wouldn't even be saying this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

spaceships posted:

this game is beating the poo poo out of poor warren.

He is having a really bad day. Obviously he should have read the fine print before he signed up to work for CREO!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The entrance to the biolabs needs either more guardrails or better lighting. Keep dying to falling when I can't see edges

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

ilmucche posted:

The entrance to the biolabs needs either more guardrails or better lighting. Keep dying to falling when I can't see edges

Swap to a rig with better lights.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gortarius posted:

Swap to a rig with better lights.

There aren't any, they're all terrible!

edit: Something I noticed that I kinda appreciate is that all of the overload circuits that are plot related are level 10, which means you can potentially beat the game without ever upgrading your suit. That sounds like an absolute nightmare, but I bet it is possible.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 21, 2017

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

For those tri-legged robots, my pro strat is to block then hit horizontal attack while keeping right up in their business so they can't back off. There's no real parrying system that I can see, and once you block an attack you can immediately follow up with your own.

...Come to think of it, 'block then attack' is a pro strat for just about everything in the game, minus of course the fact you can't pull schematics or weapons from enemies as easily. I've been using a mix of lynx/mg gorgon/liquidator/proteus armor and haven't had my poise broken by anyone. I really enjoy the fact that you can have heavier upper body armor and wiry lynx legs to avoid penalties on stamina drain while dodging and running, too.

I will criticize the game for making combat against certain mobs a complete chore. I'm level 52 and I find it easier to run through the area I'm in in order to find the next shortcut, so I can grind at my leisure. The expansive nature of the area surrounding ops makes every death that much more frustrating. tanky enemies and tight corridors have cost me 30k in scrap, which at this point is barely two levels but sting from a point of pride. Also lol@ me for dying so many, many times from instakill liquidator attacks with an insane windup that I consistently fail to get out of the way from.

Overall I'm satisfied with the purchase, but it suffers from a few irritating flaws. I wonder if the devs will ever patch the game.

tldr, game good, also bad

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is there meant to be blue flickering lights all over the place? And, if that's not some weird PC issue, is that ever gonna stop? It's getting me killed worse than Dark Souls gravity just because I can't see what's going on.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Deformed Church posted:

Is there meant to be blue flickering lights all over the place? And, if that's not some weird PC issue, is that ever gonna stop? It's getting me killed worse than Dark Souls gravity just because I can't see what's going on.

Turn down the lens flare, it's kinda ridiculous at the default 100%. Otherwise, it's probably a bad graphics driver bug combo + bloom.

3rd boss has some ridiculously broken hitboxes. Just standing next to poo poo moving in the opposite direction shouldn't hurt you because you positioned yourself right.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Deformed Church posted:

Pretty sure not. Toggle off stuff in the settings and see if anything stops it from happening, if you haven't already.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Obsurveyor posted:

3rd boss has some ridiculously broken hitboxes. Just standing next to poo poo moving in the opposite direction shouldn't hurt you because you positioned yourself right.

The first boss is pretty good too. Your attack animation clipped you inside of his foot? You better believe that's a hitbox.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
How do you get more health injections than just three? Do you need to stack the mods or something? Also twin rig enemies are stupid easy to block, dear god. All that energy to health wasted tanking their dumb charges when I could have easily blocked and countered. :/

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 21, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Crabtree posted:

How do you get more health injections than just three? Do you need to stack the mods or something?

Yes, you can stack any implant you have more than one of and its effects will be applied again.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Lame fact about the proteus enemies on ps4, if they aren't killed by a physical blow they don't drop scrap- as in if the elemental damage my weapon does is enough to finish an enemy off, I get nothing. Not sure what is causing this, but it's a bit annoying.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

The real third boss: the camera.

edit: Camera poo poo is so bad if you're going for that special weapon but once you kill the two arms up front, the camera gets magically better. Who wanted that staff anyway. :(

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 21, 2017

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I am slow as poo poo and just at the second boss, but I am so glad I manned up and took on the first two security guys so I could get their staff early. It suits me great. I don't like the big slow weapons, but the double rig butterfly stabbers meant I had to get too close. The staff has great reach And a great attack speed on horizontal attacks, or you can go vertical for more big smashes but still feel really mobile. Warren tends to twirl it a lot as well which means you usually hit everyone around him.

Just need to farm some more leg parts and my scarab armour will be at level two and I can try the boss again.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

I'm in the endgame, I suspect, and returned to the abandoned production yard to see what doors haven't been opened. There's a level 55 overcharge circuit I just popped, but I can't find what it unlocks. Anyone know what's up?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Follow the red pipe, it always leads to what it opened.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Follow the red pipe, it always leads to what it opened.

Normally, of course. Because I'm a big dummy and turned the entire level upside down to figure it out, for anyone not in the know it doesn't lead anywhere, just opens up and gives you a couple of nano cores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Question: Who actually is Benjamin Burke? I don't think I ever heard from him again after the second area, and I think I found maybe one audio log from the guy in my entire first playthrough. Can you meet him somewhere? Did I miss him?

• Locked thread