Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The_Rob posted:

Not really. Daniel Bryan was guy who said no than guy who said Yes. Character of underdog really doesn't need much.

i hate when people say this because it's so vague it's kind of meaningless, but i feel like daniel bryan had real charisma. even when he's just being lovely at gardening he's a lovable guy. sami not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i hate when people say this because it's so vague it's kind of meaningless, but i feel like daniel bryan had real charisma. even when he's just being lovely at gardening he's a lovable guy. sami not so much.

Sami was super lovable as El Generico.

They should put him back in a mask.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Sami has tons tons of charisma. He worked ten years under a mask where his character was generic wrestler and the fans never turned on him for a decade. Wwe just doesn't know how to book.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Either we get WWE badly trying to explain the Bullet Club to get some heat, or we get them not explaining it. Or we get them joining together in a heatless program. Win, Win, win!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sami is absolutely likable, in what loving universe is he not likable? He could scarcely be more likable and endearing if he tried.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Sami is absolutely likable, in what loving universe is he not likable? He could scarcely be more likable and endearing if he tried.

He could drop the ska

(to be clear, I like Zayn and that is a joke of some description)

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

If it took Jinder Mahal winning the title to will the Balor Club into existence, that will be ok with me

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean Sami's gimmick right now is making him pretty unlikeable

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I mean Sami's gimmick right now is making him pretty unlikeable

Almost as if wwe's booking is bad.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

randy is such a gift

dromal phrenia posted:

go watch the UK match and the tag match (last match) of takeover immediately

for backlash i guess just watch the tag title match

FINE

(i cant believe i forgot takeover I was so hype for those two matches)

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Sami Zayn is a talentless hack who relied on mocking foreigners to get over.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

randy is such a gift

wish i'd kept the RECEIPT!

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

i cancelled the network because Backlash sapped the last of my interest for the main roster

nxt is on hulu right?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Expected all these pages today to be about Nakamura's WWE in ring debut last night.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

rovert posted:

Expected all these pages today to be about Nakamura's WWE in ring debut last night.

The main roster ruined Finn, Bayley, and Nakamura within a year, it's incredible

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

rovert posted:

Yeah, it STUNK.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

The main roster ruined Finn, Bayley, and Nakamura within a year, it's incredible

Somewhere Gedo's laughing, looking at Kenny and Okada and saying told ya so

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

well the other thing about underdogs is they need a character and personality other than "mostly a loser" if they're gonna make it in the wwe.

He used to be a joke character named el Generico who was from Tijuana Canada and spoke exclusively grade school Spanish and it worked for him for an entire decade.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

rovert posted:

It was unexceptional, and not in an unexpected way. It was disappointing none the less. Chuck him on the pile of Vinces broken toys. What do you want from us?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

RacistGuidingLight posted:

What do you want from us?

an opportunity to feel superior to the rest of us, mostly

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

It was unexceptional, and not in an unexpected way. It was disappointing none the less. Chuck him on the pile of Vinces broken toys. What do you want from us?

People want to be smug pricks and masturbate about how WWE Is Bad.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

extradite THIS! posted:

He could drop the ska

(to be clear, I like Zayn and that is a joke of some description)

You want him to drop it, but really he just wants to pick it up.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

People want to be smug pricks and masturbate about how WWE Is Bad.

its kinda pretty bad though

But hey balor club tonight maybe? ???

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Somewhere Gedo's laughing, looking at Kenny and Okada and saying told ya so

Kenny's still going to go because he's absolutely the type of smug who thinks it'll be different for Him

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Debuting wrestlers 101: give them a huge win over someone established, and look dominating in doing it, to make it instantly apparent "oh poo poo this is a man", and have it lost not more than five minutes

What not to do: have the debuting wrestler be on the defensive for most of the match, kick out of finishers, make a comeback, and then win - it makes the established one look dominant and the debut look weak

They simultaneously wanted to make Shinsuke look strong but also make sure that Dolph looked strong too. And unlike take Shinsuke v Sami from NXT where the strength came from a constant back and forth and where both men ended up exhausted, whoever agented this said "lets give Dolph most of the match, and Shinsuke the babyface comeback"

It was a terrible booking that if they wanted to keep Dolph strong they should've either put someone else in there or just said "go out there and beat each other the gently caress up like Sami did" but instead did John Cena booking.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Since I had been to two different Smackdown tapings since Nakamura's debut, I already saw Nakamura vs. Ziggler TWICE before the PPV. It wasn't Nakamura's debut to me, therefore not a Big Deal. :colbert:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Chris James 2 posted:

Kenny's still going to go because he's absolutely the type of smug who thinks it'll be different for Him

To be fair when Kenny debuted as The Cleaner it really wasn't anything to write home about.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Was Sami/Corbin so important that you couldn't have just sent Sami with Nakamura and just let them do the match from Dallas?

I really don't get it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Also Kenny is a decent promo, has a pretty good look and is arguably one of the best workers in the world. The only thing AJ had that he doesn't is USA TV recognition, and I'm not sure how big of a factor that was on getting AJ pushed.

By the way, please chill. The match had bad agenting, but it didn't instantly destroy Nakamura's cred oh my god send him back to japan now, It was just weird. People have bounced back from worse.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dias posted:

Also Kenny is a decent promo, has a pretty good look and is arguably one of the best workers in the world. The only thing AJ had that he doesn't is USA TV recognition, and I'm not sure how big of a factor that was on getting AJ pushed.

By the way, please chill. The match had bad agenting, but it didn't instantly destroy Nakamura's cred oh my god send him back to japan now, It was just weird. People have bounced back from worse.

Plus he won the loving match by kneeing Dolph's skull in.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
e: wrong thread

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

He used to be a joke character named el Generico who was from Tijuana Canada and spoke exclusively grade school Spanish and it worked for him for an entire decade.

(in vince mcmahon voice) CAN HE DANCE

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I liked the chain wrestling bits at the beginning of the Ziggler/Nak match. It was just weird how much offense Dolph got. Felt like a mid-feud match not a big debut showcase

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

My favorite Nakamura match was his Wrestle Kingdom match with Ibushi but to be honest the only thing I concretely remember from it is Ibushi's insane springboard German suplex. So I guess my point is thank god Ibushi escaped after the CWC so that WWE couldn't ruin him like Nakamura and Tozawa.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

quote:

Adding, “And, I told Vince, ‘Hey Vince, my goal is to come back every week and improve. Every time you see me perform I’m going to get better on the mic, going to get better in the ring and I’ll be in better shape every week.'”

Does that mean he will have even more exploded, bloody cysts after his next match?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Does that mean he will have even more exploded, bloody cysts after his next match?

He'll be a B cup.

• Locked thread