Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Coco13 posted:

My favorite drink, and perhaps the most versatile drink around, the Irish Coffee
The 'authentic' way
Warm the glassware using hot water to ensure coffee doesn't immediately lose any warmth. Dump the water out and dry the mug. Add coffee and brown sugar - sugar's optional, but people insist it helps the cream float. Then, Irish whiskey. I prefer Bushmills, in a 3 to 1 ratio but anywhere from 2 to 4 is fine. Gently float heavy cream on top by pouring it on the the back of a spoon to layer the drink.
The proper Irish coffee will have the perfect balance of bitter coffee to sweet sugar and smooth whiskey, from warm coffee to cold cream, from the upper of caffeine to the 80 proof depressant.

The most reliable way
Get coffee. Pour in some Bushmills. Taste it. Adjust coffee or liquor amount. Repeat. You lose the Instagram-approved layering but who cares. You have a no-frills drink that can be enjoyed at literally any moment that relies on the ubiquity of coffee, one of the most popular beverages in the world. Got roped into brunch? Irish coffee! At a wedding where dessert's being brought around? Irish coffee! Been day drinking and need to rally some energy? Irish coffee! Need to blunt a hangover? Irish coffee!

Most importantly, check out this Irish coffee cup:

What did Bunny Colvin tell us? You wave around a bottle of beer at the farmer's market or at a 10 AM meeting, for some reason people will hassle you, say you have a problem or are a public nuisance. Put your liquor in the same paper bag that they all drink from.

you are playin to win

ma heart! :sparkles:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

i'm with bunny

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gotta say, I'm not nearly as big a fan of Wild Turkey 101 as I am Evan Williams BiB

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Vox Nihili posted:

Koreans are crazy drinkers

2013 data based on 1.5oz servings of liquor consumed per capita~

South Korea — 11.2 shots/week
Russia — 5.0 shots/week
Thailand — 4.8 shots/week
Poland — 4.0 shots/week
Japan — 3.6 shots/week
Philippines — 3.5 shots/week
Bulgaria — 3.3 shots/week
Slovakia — 3.0 shots/week
Ukraine — 2.8 shots/week
France — 2.7 shots/week

Important to remember soju is only 40 proof and is vast majority of liquor consumed (500 ml soju at the local e-mart: 1300won 500 ml vodka: >6000won) so actual ETH consumption only comparable to russians
"only comparable to russians" lol

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

WHO says SK is 13th in alcohol consumption overall

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

theflyingexecutive posted:

WHO says SK is 13th in alcohol consumption overall

i give up, who

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption_per_capita

What the gently caress is up with Moldova

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws4COisklac

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

hip thrusts! hip.thrust.txt.

also:

lookit what i been drinkin'!

cross posted from iron chef thread:

ranch seasoning and sugar are on the rim, and it's and orange lime gin and tonic

Lindsey O. Graham has issued a correction as of 22:03 on Jun 12, 2017

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've been feeling more exotic lately and was considering getting some soju but uh

1) hard to find here

2) am I reading it wrong or could I just create my own by buying flavored vodka and watering it down 1:1? Seems like it's all made from NGS now

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

hip thrusts! hip.thrust.txt.

also:

lookit what i been drinkin'!

cross posted from iron chef thread:

ranch seasoning and sugar are on the rim, and it's and orange lime gin and tonic

I've been wanting to get into gin and tonics but I've been too lazy to make my own and the stuff I usually find in stores is terrible. Should I cave and make my own tonic or is there high end stuff I can buy for cheap?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
hell, i'll also crosspost from the iron chef thread because i drank it all and felt no regrets about it

mormonpartyboat posted:

a White Texan

2 oz kahlua, 1 oz bourbon, 1 oz heavy cream, 1/2 oz of ranch dressing

stirring was not working so i threw it in the shaker and it looks better even if i didnt want to change out glasses for a ~clean picture~

it's surprisingly pretty good!! with the cream, the ranch dressing is more like the vermouth of dairies, adding just a bit of spice and acidity

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

2DCAT posted:

I've been wanting to get into gin and tonics but I've been too lazy to make my own and the stuff I usually find in stores is terrible. Should I cave and make my own tonic or is there high end stuff I can buy for cheap?

i get crappy tonic

but, i have seen nicer options at whole foods

i had a lavender tonic once that was just lovely :3:

e: i'm sorry it was dry lavender soda that i had but, i have bought high quality tonic from WF, so i'm gonna look for it on the net

i have seen and am intrigued by this:

i bought the q, but the above is cheaper, i believe

Lindsey O. Graham has issued a correction as of 22:34 on Jun 12, 2017

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

mormonpartyboat posted:

hell, i'll also crosspost from the iron chef thread because i drank it all and felt no regrets about it

ya know, i didn't tell you this, but kaluha and creme is one o' ma' faves

i may actually try it with ranch, since you are livin' to tell about it today :roflolmao:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

i get crappy tonic

e: i'm sorry it was dry lavender soda that i had but, i have bought high quality tonic from WF, so i'm gonna look for it on the net

i went through a phase of buying super fancy botique tonic water, but I realized part of the magic of a gin and tonic was the cheap ice cold un-pretentious tonic

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

i get crappy tonic

Ahhh, Fever Tree. Ive seen a couple places uses that and I forgot the name (but remember the bottle). Fever Tree I liked a bit... You like Q more? I love all things lavender too...

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

yeah f scott fitzgeralds fav

tall glass, squeeze a quarter lime in the bottom, fill to top with ice
add shots of gin
fill with tonic or seltzer, cheap from wally world

ranch smells like dirty feet

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

2DCAT posted:

Ahhh, Fever Tree. Ive seen a couple places uses that and I forgot the name (but remember the bottle). Fever Tree I liked a bit... You like Q more? I love all things lavender too...

i liked q quite a bit, and haven't tried fever tree, though i suspect it's delicious

the lavender was an error, it was a dry soda which i mistook for tonic, sorry for the confusion

i am pretty sure though, that lavender can be infused into your gin or vodka by letting it sit anywhere from an hour up to 2 weeks, same as a lemon or orange peel

you may be able to do it with tonic too, but i am more certain you can do it in alcohol or oil

careful of the stems though, as they lead to exessive astringency

Lindsey O. Graham has issued a correction as of 23:02 on Jun 12, 2017

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Baloogan posted:

i went through a phase of buying super fancy botique tonic water, but I realized part of the magic of a gin and tonic was the cheap ice cold un-pretentious tonic

An Apple A Gay posted:

yeah f scott fitzgeralds fav

tall glass, squeeze a quarter lime in the bottom, fill to top with ice
add shots of gin
fill with tonic or seltzer, cheap from wally world

ranch smells like dirty feet

yeah, i find cheap tonic to be comforting, familiar, and satisfying, which is why i stick to it

also, ranch really does smell like dirty feet! :lol:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
What's a good drink to celebrate moving on to corporate work & selling out entirely?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
if youre embracing what you have newly gained: bud light

if youre drinking to mourn what youve lost: mimosas

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Vox Nihili posted:

What's a good drink to celebrate moving on to corporate work & selling out entirely?

scotch

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Vigo really did a number on the peasants

Vox Nihili posted:

gin and tonic

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Vox Nihili posted:

got any sevens posted:

gin and tonic

funny :smugjones:

Lindsey O. Graham has issued a correction as of 05:37 on Jun 13, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

they might not be recording transnistria very well

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Epic High Five posted:

I've been feeling more exotic lately and was considering getting some soju but uh

1) hard to find here

2) am I reading it wrong or could I just create my own by buying flavored vodka and watering it down 1:1? Seems like it's all made from NGS now

lol people only drink soju because it's cheaper than coffee, juice, sometimes coca cola and definitely the fancier kinds of bottled water
you can find it in america for like $15 a bottle
this contravenes 100% of the point of soju

curufinor has issued a correction as of 06:19 on Jun 13, 2017

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
also the flavorings in soju are 100% proprietary and p. iconic in korea
also incredibly hangover-inducing
it's like saying "i have a bunch of coca leaves and kola nuts here, you can make coca-cola with that, carbonated water and some corn syrup right"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

curufinor posted:

lol people only drink soju because it's cheaper than coffee, juice, sometimes coca cola and definitely the fancier kinds of bottled water
now that's my kinda country

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
buffalo trace is like goddamn honey, nectar, ambrosia

vanilla apple sweet syrupy goodness

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

curufinor posted:

also the flavorings in soju are 100% proprietary and p. iconic in korea
also incredibly hangover-inducing
it's like saying "i have a bunch of coca leaves and kola nuts here, you can make coca-cola with that, carbonated water and some corn syrup right"

i couldn't drink soju anymore because it'll give me a hangover no matter how much i drink :rip:

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

2DCAT posted:

i couldn't drink soju anymore because it'll give me a hangover no matter how much i drink :rip:

gotta up your anju game (lit. block-alcohol: poo poo you eat and drink while you drink). lots of korean men and women can drink a liter or two of this poo poo but not many can do it on an empty stomach
best anju is obvs sannakji
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NURm5xoCmsk

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

gross

needs more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy1B3agGNxw

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
you know, that song had more influence in the world than the winning song, which was a goddamn cover
bad systems of credit assignment, you know

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
having some grapefruit sculpin tonight

overpriced but theres nothin' like it

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Vox Nihili posted:

sounds yummy

i am having amsterdam vodka diet tonics, due to my increasing weight

i would really prefer mint juleps, but not until the scale is kind to me once again

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

i had sixpoint oyster stout on a date tonight, it was good

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks for the fever tree recommendation. The elderflower one is particularly good, especially if you throw some st germains in it

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

when you show up to a party with cloudy ice
how does that make you feel

like a loser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW-lVwvqywc

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

2DCAT posted:

Thanks for the fever tree recommendation. The elderflower one is particularly good, especially if you throw some st germains in it

:swoon:

very very nice! :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I mixed gin and chinotto.

's good.

• Locked thread