Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

so its a heat wave here so i cant go with someting heavy.

tonights coctail is the haleys comet (obviously spelled differently than the astronomical sort)

1.5 oz gin (i go with hendricks)
1/4 oz st. germain
1/4 of grapefruit (best) or OJ (backup)

shake over ice, pour into glass

top with ginger beer, i aim for about 4oz (third of a can) for these ratios.

its a really light and tasty summer drink, i make it in 2 gallon gatorade coolers for beach days with slightly higher fractions of juice and ginger so you dont die.

How is the Gosling's ginger beer? I'm a big fan of Bundaberg myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Baloogan posted:

wild turkey doesn't go out of its way to be unpleasant like JD (and i love JD don't get me wrong)

It's good stuff and solidly middle shelf despite being quite reasonably priced. Lot of great bourbon in that price range of course. Jack by contrast is basically bottom shelf stuff priced up to middle.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Relevant Tangent posted:

In college we literally used a bottle of JD to end relationships. Give each person in the relationship a shot from the cursed bottle and wait. Guaranteed fight by the end of the night. Six relationships were destroyed that way.

Jack Daniels is the Johnnie Walker of bourbon. Bottom-tier swill with an inflated price due to marketing.

Apparently the higher-end Jack Daniels is pretty decent, just like the higher-end Johnnie Walker. But you'll still pay more than it's worth.

Unless you can find Johnnie Walker Green Label under $50, that stuff is solid.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
had a big job interview today that went well, thinking of celebrating with some ~choice liquor~

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

senator, explain this

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Last bottle of bourbon I got was Old Grand Dad and it was p good

Have you tried 114? It's excellent, and not nearly as overpowering as you'd fear.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Also I think Scotch is a massively overpriced ripoff

Japanese stuff is the worst now in terms of value. Scotch can have ok value around 10-12 years of age if you know what you want, the price balloons massively after that.

Bourbon and rye are ridiculously competitive in terms of price, but the really good stuff is extremely hard to find and occasionally priced through the roof.

If you like rye, Pikesville is a pretty good choice. In terms of bourbon, the best consistent value in the higher-end range is probably Russell's Reserve. If you can find Booker's for $50 or less it's pretty decent, too, but the age goes down and the price goes up every year now. Can't go wrong with Evan Williams Single Barrel, of course, but that's not "expensive enough" to be high-end I guess.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

I just got a huge raise in a new position that I just worked a bunch of overtime for during an event week and I don't have any kids so :shrug:

Congrats, dude.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

curufinor posted:

Staying in Seoul rn to dehumanize myself and face to bloodshed

Soju is 40 proof and 1500won (like $1.30) is a high price in a grocery store for 500ml

Dehumanizing pretty hard

Koreans are crazy drinkers

2013 data based on 1.5oz servings of liquor consumed per capita~

South Korea — 11.2 shots/week
Russia — 5.0 shots/week
Thailand — 4.8 shots/week
Poland — 4.0 shots/week
Japan — 3.6 shots/week
Philippines — 3.5 shots/week
Bulgaria — 3.3 shots/week
Slovakia — 3.0 shots/week
Ukraine — 2.8 shots/week
France — 2.7 shots/week

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
What's a good drink to celebrate moving on to corporate work & selling out entirely?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
buffalo trace is like goddamn honey, nectar, ambrosia

vanilla apple sweet syrupy goodness

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
having some grapefruit sculpin tonight

overpriced but theres nothin' like it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

the best booze doesn't come here
that's just something we need to get out of the way, in this thread, right now

also, booze here is largely overpriced

due to your friendly neighborhood congress men, and women
:grin:

Booze is cheap as hell even in my high-priced, west coast, liberal elite neighborhood. I can get extremely good, strong, all-American liquor for $20 a bottle after tax, half as much if I'm not feeling choosy.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the absence of a particular 20% abv liqueur myself.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Having some Aberlour scotch tonight. If you like that sherried stuff it's the place to be, IMO.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I did a thing posted:

getting wrecked on Stella Artois.

i thought only the achewood characters actually drank that

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Baloogan posted:

i drink stella

i also don't think id be outta place on achewood

youre a duck version of Todd

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

Stella is Budweiser made by fancy Euros.

Um actually it's "imported."

Wait, poo poo...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

get that OUT of my face posted:

why does AB-InBev only buy a single microbrewery in a given city and region? they've bought Goose Island in Chicago, Blue Point in Long Island/NYC area, TenBarrel in Oregon, Elysian in Seattle, and now Wicked Weed in Asheville. i'm probably missing more but those are the ones that i know about. i imagine that there's a deliberate reason for it, but i can't put my finger on why

sam calagione, who's always been one of the loudest voices in the craft beer world against selling out, hates these buyouts because it allows AB-InBev to sell the acquired beers for cheaper even though they by and large keep their beers intact, effectively undercutting the competition. that's gotta be why they're doing that, right? the only microbrewery i've seen gone national under their umbrella is Goose Island and even then, it's just a select few beers

Ballast Point. Lagunitas. *salutes, spits*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

TenementFunster posted:

all the koreans i met were considerably more friendly whenever they found out i wasn't a troop. i learned why almost immediately.

Holy poo poo you still post?

• Locked thread